Elementary school secretary faces charges

Corey Perrine/Staff
Superintendent Roberson addresses media Tuesday

Criminal charges are pending against an Ursula Collins Elementary School secretary on allegations she had sexual relations with a 15-year-old eighth-grade boy.

Back | Next
At a news conference, Richmond County Superintendent Frank Roberson discusses allegations that an employee had had sex with a pupil.  Corey Perrine/Staff
Corey Perrine/Staff

Richmond County school safety Lt. Richard Roundtree said the sheriff's office granted an arrest warrant Tuesday afternoon for Tiffiny Robinson on sexual assault and enticing a child for indecent purposes.

Robinson, 28, is a five-year employee of the school and serves as assistant coach of the girls basketball and girls softball teams, Principal Thomas Norris said.

"Your gut reaction is you hope this is not true, but your professional says you must check it out and clean it up," Norris said.

At a news conference Tuesday, Superintendent Frank Roberson said the administration first learned of the allegations Thursday.

"The allegation, if proven to be true, is unacceptable and will not be tolerated in our school system," Roberson said.

During a Valentine's Day dance at the school Thursday, a parent of another pupil told Norris her children had heard rumors of the alleged incident.

Norris initiated a preliminary investigation Friday, and the case has been turned over to the district's Office of Professional Standards and Department of School Safety and Security, Roberson said.

At least four pupils and faculty members have been interviewed during the investigation. Roundtree said that the sexual relations reportedly occurred off campus and that he does not believe there are additional victims.

"We feel confident to move forward in the criminal process," he said.

Robinson has been placed on administrative leave while the investigation is being conducted.

OhWell
OhWell 02/15/11 - 05:20 pm
If this occurred it is of

If this occurred it is of criminal nature why is RCSO not handling this?

OhWell
OhWell 02/15/11 - 06:10 pm
The first post from AC did

The first post from AC did not mention criminal charges. I am glad that has now been done.

OhWell
OhWell 02/15/11 - 06:10 pm
The first post from AC did

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/15/11 - 06:39 pm
That's not how you spell

That's not how you spell "Tiffany".

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/15/11 - 06:47 pm
D-man, you were expecting the

D-man, you were expecting the family of Louis Comfort perhaps?

Sweet son
Sweet son 02/15/11 - 06:58 pm
If it happened off campus,

If it happened off campus, then it is not within the jurisdiction of the RCBOE security guards.

raul
raul 02/15/11 - 07:44 pm
-@ Dixieman. That is the way

-@ Dixieman. That is the way she spells it. The AC got it right. @ Fiat. I admit I had to look it up, but I knew it would be a good one. LOL.

dougk
dougk 02/15/11 - 10:24 pm
Read the article, lylagirl,

Read the article, lylagirl, the alleged sexual encounter did not happen in the school building. What do want the administrators to do follow their staff home and montor in all off-duty activity?? If you are looking for someone to blame...well, that would be Tiffiny....and can't you leave it at that?

lylagirl
lylagirl 02/15/11 - 10:51 pm
I don't want administrators

I don't want administrators to do anything dougk...they haven't thus far...only to collect a check...the blame is on this young lady true enough..but there has to be something done to protect our children when we put them in the care of the educational system..that is my opinion and if you don't agree...then you have that right...thank you and my statement was not about blame but accountability...

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 02/15/11 - 11:52 pm
OhWell, the RCBOE prefers to

OhWell, the RCBOE prefers to call the RCBOE Campus Police Division the office of Safety and Security. Bottom line is that these are state certified police officers and are more than capable of handling most cases. The department has many experienced officers and in all reality receives far more training opportunities now than the RCSO does due to major budget cuts from the RC commissoners.

Sweet Son, These "security guards" are State certified police officers and have jurisdiction to follow through on anything within the state of Georgia.

If this secretary did this to an innocent child in the school system she needs to be fired and arrested.

obkad
obkad 02/16/11 - 12:37 am
confused...was the accused a

confused...was the accused a secretary or a coach? When did elementary schools start having a need for ball team coaches? Was this 15 year old victim attending this elementary school or another school?

raul
raul 02/16/11 - 01:59 am
@confused. The accused is a

@confused. The accused is a secretary and also served as a coach. The alleged victim attends the Collins school where the accused is/was employed. Can't answer your question about when elementary schools started having coaches. I know when I attended elementary school in the 60s there was a school football coach, but he was not a school employee, just a volunteer.

914darknlovely
914darknlovely 02/16/11 - 02:32 am
@ obkad. Collins has students

@ obkad. Collins has students K-8 grade. Richmond County allow students to begin playing organized, team sports for the schools in 7th grade. The student attended Collins.

lylagirl
lylagirl 02/16/11 - 02:44 am
They started that K8 program

They started that K8 program at Collins when your wonderful Bedden was in office....not a good move with those demos...just my opinion.... I guess he had to do what he had to do...hmmmmmmm

belle
belle 02/16/11 - 08:05 am
Why are we looking for anyone

Why are we looking for anyone to blame besides the woman involved????

BornInAUG
BornInAUG 02/16/11 - 08:21 am
Glad to see people using the

corgimom
corgimom 02/16/11 - 08:26 am
The K-8 program is

The K-8 program is specifically for "those demos"- because struggling kids fall apart in middle school, and it directly leads to high school drop outs.

The theory is that by keeping them in familiar, comfortable surroundings, and with remedial help more readily available (such as a reading specialist), the struggling children have a better chance of success.

It's now known that middle schools are the worst years of a child's education, and where they have the most trouble, and this is an effort to correct that.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 02/16/11 - 08:46 am
We have info in this story

We have info in this story that seems to indicate a very odd relationship (in addition to sexual) between the student and Ms. Robinson...and it appears his family may have been very well aware of it. Stay tuned...

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 02/16/11 - 08:49 am
...and just for information

...and just for information sake...and I have been discussing this for years:

Because of Collins "special rules" (pure neighborhood school, K-8 program etc etc) there are more dollars spent PER PUPIL there than any other school in the area, public, or private.

littlecoach
littlecoach 02/16/11 - 09:33 am
what 15 year old boy does not

what 15 year old boy does not have a crush on a teacher . . . . why wouldn't he tell someone that he has had sexual relationship with her . . . . maybe this is the case and she did nothing wrong . . . . most all middle school boys (and girls too) have a crush on teachers

fatpants1828
fatpants1828 02/16/11 - 09:54 am
what I want to know is why

what I want to know is why the heck is a 15 year old attending a "Elementary" School...

marie21
marie21 02/16/11 - 10:20 am
fatpants1828, my question

fatpants1828, my question also. 15 and still in the 8th grade. If I had an 8th grader I sure wouldn't want some 15 year old in the same class. Something wrong with the education system also.

countyman
20129
countyman 02/16/11 - 10:23 am
If the young man is 15 years

If the young man is 15 years old in the 8th grade.. His birthday could be late or he probably got kept back once...

JLady
JLady 02/16/11 - 10:30 am
This is happening a little

This is happening a little too much!

burninater
burninater 02/16/11 - 11:13 am
"Glad to see people using the

"Glad to see people using the term "if" in this case. When it was a white male commissioner in Columbia County, he was guilty as soon as the story broke. I just wanted to point this out to all the people who post about racism, Columbia County, and how Dean was given preferential treatment. Watch and see how this case plays out, and ask yourself if you respond the same way."
-----------
BornInAug, you also have to look at the genders involved here, when you consider the different responses. An older man sexually involved with a young woman is viewed quite differently than when the roles are reversed. Many view the young woman as a victim, while the young man is viewed as acheiving success beyond his years. By extension, the male abuser is viewed as a predator, while the female abuser is viewed as an exceptionally weak woman ... and I say exceptionally, because the stereotype is that women are sexually weak to one degree or another (thus, "the temptress").

Finally, the father/adopted daughter situation raises far more ire and disgust than the young older woman/older young man situation.

the_source
the_source 02/16/11 - 11:28 am
burninater said "When it was

burninater said "When it was a white male commissioner in Columbia County, he was guilty as soon as the story broke."

Agreed. People were ready to burn that poor guy at the stake without a trial. Both him and Robinson should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Now there are some cases that are pretty obvious, like that idiot who worked at Fort Gordon and a parent found him naked inside the closet of the underage daughter's room, but even this idiot has the right to a trial, albeit it sure didn't look good for him.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 02/16/11 - 11:50 am
We have information that the

We have information that the secretary admits her guilt in this. And there is damning evidence that backs that up.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/16/11 - 12:00 pm
I remember a girl's coach

I remember a girl's coach that was "dating" one of my high school classmates. He was getting patted on the back by some of his peers, but the woman ended up breaking his heart. I don't think he ever got over it. I didn't have any idea at the time that she was breaking some rules, since he wasn't underage and she had just graduated from college It was her first teaching job; they weren't that far apart in age. But my gut told me it was wrong. I was afraid to ask anybody about it, because other than their relationship, I liked both of them. I hope they both learned from their mistake, but I have no idea if she continued to seduce male students after that. Now I'll always wonder if she was able to continue misusing her position. As far as I know, no one likely could offer any proof of what happened even if they spoke up, other than the young man that told me about it. That might have been the problem.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/16/11 - 12:07 pm
I remember a girls' sports

I remember a girls' sports coach that was "dating" one of my high school classmates. He was getting patted on the back by some of his peers, but the woman ended up breaking his heart. I don't think he ever got over it. I didn't have any idea at the time that she was breaking some rules, since he wasn't underage and she had just graduated from college It was her first teaching job; they weren't that far apart in age. But my gut told me it was wrong. I was afraid to ask anybody about it, because other than their relationship, I liked both of them. I hope they both learned from their mistake, but I have no idea if she continued to seduce male students after that. Now I'll always wonder if she was able to continue misusing her position. As far as I know, no one likely could offer any proof of what happened even if they spoke up, other than the young man that told me about it. That might have been the problem.

corgimom
corgimom 02/16/11 - 12:19 pm
"And not surprisingly, the

"And not surprisingly, the test scores DO NOT reflect a big return on that investment. Example # 3,405 that shows throwing money at the public school system does NOT fix its problems."

True, true, and TRUE.

However, educators are now desperate to try anything to raise test scores and graduation rates.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.