Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Dean released on $50,000 bond

Former Columbia County Commissioner Scott Dean was jailed and released Friday after posting a $50,000 property bond on two charges of child molestation.

Former Columbia County Commissioner Scott Dean, who faces two charges of child molestation, cannot be around anyone under age 18, except his three sons.   Jim Blaylock/Staff
Jim Blaylock/Staff

Dean appeared in court with members of his family, including his wife, Renee.

Appearing before Superior Court Judge Jim Blanchard just hours after he was booked into the Columbia County Detention Center, Dean was ordered not to be in the presence of anyone younger than 18 other than his male children.

He will still be allowed to see his three sons, but will not be allowed to have contact with his four daughters -- one who is the alleged victim and another who is a runaway believed to be in Mexico.

Dean surrendered his passport during the hearing at the Columbia County Justice Center in Evans, and Blanchard ordered him to remain in Columbia, Richmond and Burke counties.

Dean was indicted Wednesday by a Columbia County grand jury on two counts of child molestation. Five of the Dean children had been adopted from Guatemala.

Dean resigned from the county commission shortly after the indictment, and a March 15 election has been set for District 4 to select his replacement.

He is on leave from his job as an inspector for the Georgia Department of Agriculture.

Columbia County
Columbia County 02/04/11 - 12:06 pm
So it's ok for the man to get

So it's ok for the man to get indicted for child molestation and he cant be around children under the age of 18 but he can be around his sons?! Are you kiddin me! It's not for any of us to judge but i'll tell you this, if I had been the judge to see him this mornin he wouldn't be allowed to be around any children PERIOD. I don't give a crap if they're his biological sons or not. This man was indicted for a reason and no child should have to be subjected to his presence.

Bonk
Bonk 02/04/11 - 12:14 pm
If you read my posts on the

If you read my posts on the previous article I pretty much nailed it on how long he would actually be behind bars. A DUI arrest and the bond hearing is about 12-24 hours later. Only 2 hours for child molestation. Not bad, not bad at all. They say accused innocent people people undergo a lot of stress. Not a lot of stress for him so far

Lilys Mom
Lilys Mom 02/04/11 - 12:17 pm
I agree. If he is guilty,

I agree. If he is guilty, then no child is safe around him.

the_mothership
the_mothership 02/04/11 - 12:30 pm
...nothing makes me feel

...nothing makes me feel worse than people jumping on the band wagon with others to pass judgement! Without concern for the lives and feelings of ALL involved. They are not so fast to jump on when a member of their family is in the spotlight. God is the one we all have to answer to in the end......how will you answer?

newsjunkie10
newsjunkie10 02/04/11 - 12:40 pm
This type of behavior goes on

This type of behavior goes on all the time. People would be shocked at how many of these cases are reported in this area. Considering that about 80% of sexual assault cases go unreported, we have a BIG problem. This also goes to show, you cannot judge a sexual predator by his/her appearance. They are sly and know how to manipulate a child. And, they rarely have only one victim!
Children are particularly vulnerable. They trust those in authority over them. They are powerless when they are placed in a situation such as this. Please look out for the children around you. If they tell you something of this nature occured, please take appropriate action.
The psychological damage is devastating. The effects manifest themselves throughout life, resulting in a string of unhealthy, abusive relationships, as well as drug and alcohol abuse.
Until the public is educated about sexual assault of children AND adults, we will continue to have these biases manifested, as is evident in some recent comments. People generally don't make up these allegations, though that may occur in some instances. Even if they do, there are some serious issues going on in their lives that need to be addressed.

punkin14
punkin14 02/04/11 - 01:03 pm
Scott made every effort for

Scott made every effort for those phone records and texts with the CC employee to not be made public. Now that he wants to fight this in court, all the sordid details of not only the child molestation charges will come to light but I'm sure the DA will subpoena those phone records and another family will drug through the mud on this. If the texts are as graphic in nature as I've heard, I'm sure they will be used against him.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 02/04/11 - 01:16 pm
Who is his attorney?

Who is his attorney?

Gaangel
Gaangel 02/04/11 - 01:23 pm
Theodocian

Theodocian

Fire80
Fire80 02/04/11 - 01:25 pm
Why was he given a choice of

Why was he given a choice of when to be turned in? The law does not apply to some people...

Fire80
Fire80 02/04/11 - 01:28 pm
@Punkin14 that's right I

@Punkin14 that's right I forgot about those messages..... I guess it will ALL COME TO LIGHT NOW!!!!

jones255
jones255 02/04/11 - 01:29 pm
@Bonk - Math skills are a

@Bonk - Math skills are a little fuzzy are they -- Scott turned himself in @ 5:40 AM, and the hearing started @ 10 AM. That is more than 2 hours. As I already said to Renee, my family's thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Rip

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/04/11 - 01:55 pm
Maybe I'm missing something

Maybe I'm missing something but what does phone message or an inappropriate relationship with a county employee (if he is guilty) have to do with the charges he's facing of child molestation. Guess the more dirt you create the more guilty he'll look....Fire80 you almost sound glad that all those messages will be made public.

punkin14
punkin14 02/04/11 - 02:04 pm
@InChristLove I'm not sure if

@InChristLove I'm not sure if it will but if I was the DA I would use them to establish his charachter or lack thereof.

SouthernChic
SouthernChic 02/04/11 - 02:22 pm
Fire80- No defense of Dean on

Fire80- No defense of Dean on my part, but I think it's a pretty standard practice for the legal system to allow a certain amount of time for an individual to get his/her personal affairs in order before turning themselves in. Dean probably isn't a flight risk.

noils
noils 02/04/11 - 02:22 pm
Yes child molestation goes on

Yes child molestation goes on all the time. That's why I'm puzzled that in December, Rep. Paul Broun was one of only 20 members of Congress to vote against a bill that would require schools to perform background checks on job applicants to determine if they are a convicted sex offender. We must do everything possible to keep animals like Dean away from our kids.

usapatriot
usapatriot 02/04/11 - 02:27 pm
Don't start comparing a DUI

Don't start comparing a DUI arrest to this. Since you didn't have the ability to answer your own question, I'll do it for you. A DUI needs to dry out. Having a lawyer on retainer helps anyone get thru the judicial system quicker.

Turning himself in had to do with an assessed chance of flight. Happens all the time.

usapatriot
usapatriot 02/04/11 - 02:28 pm
noils, maybe it's because Rep

noils, maybe it's because Rep Broun believes that states should govern themselves.

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/04/11 - 02:50 pm
what's with the frosted hair

what's with the frosted hair and the pink shirt? Guilty or not, the man sure looks creepy. If I saw someone like him hanging around a playground, I'd be a bit nervous.

belle
belle 02/04/11 - 03:54 pm
I can't believe in this day

I can't believe in this day and age that child molesters and pedophiles are still confused with heterosexual or homosexual tendencies. These are acts of violence towards CHILDREN. Rarely limited to just one gender. If he can't be around children he should not be around ANY children (unsupervised) until after the trial.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/04/11 - 04:30 pm
noils "We must do everything

noils "We must do everything possible to keep animals like Dean away from our kids."

So noils, you already know he's guilty??

Emerydan, what difference does it make what color the man's shirt is? His shirt color makes you nervous?

raul
raul 02/04/11 - 04:59 pm
@Emerydan, Surely you are

@Emerydan, Surely you are being facetious? If not, welll, that is just.. sad.

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/04/11 - 05:02 pm
yes it was meant to be

yes it was meant to be facetious.. but seriously the frosted highlighted hair and the pink shirt.. Even Elton John, would say, tone it down a little

happychimer
happychimer 02/04/11 - 05:22 pm
If I remember correctly, a

If I remember correctly, a news source reported there were text messages he made that mentioned a child.

follower 02/04/11 - 05:31 pm
Emerydan, I don't have

Emerydan, I don't have frosted hair, but I love pink shirts. I am secure enough in who I am to wear them, plus, my wife likes them.

But I highly doubt you would say those things to me other than from the security of a forum like this.

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/04/11 - 05:38 pm
Hey, I have a pink shirt or

Hey, I have a pink shirt or two in my closet.. that's not what makes him look so effeminate.. it's more the really bad highlighted hair do. Take a look at it. Yes maybe there was an excuse for it in the 1980s, as everyone had bad hair.. but who knows, maybe this is some type of defense strategy

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 02/04/11 - 05:41 pm
a molester wearing his pink

a molester wearing his pink shirt to the bond hearing hmmm ok

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 02/04/11 - 05:44 pm
and for him being given time

and for him being given time to get his affairs in order let your child have an accident and let the nurse think its from abuse see how much time the cops give you to get your affairs in order..bout the time it takes to handcuff you and throw you in the back of the car

TCB22
TCB22 02/04/11 - 06:15 pm
Let him have his day in court

Let him have his day in court before you, who hide in the shadows and can say anything without fear of confrontation, declare his guilt! There's no accountability, no retaliation, no sense of responsibility for anonymous posters. Since internet trolls have no reason to be polite, factual, or logical, they can have fun with accusations, slander, misinformation, racism, sexism, homophobia, lies, and abusive language. Let him have his day in court.

happychimer
happychimer 02/04/11 - 06:17 pm
badboytoys good observation.

badboytoys good observation.

happychimer
happychimer 02/04/11 - 06:20 pm
So his comment was removed.

So his comment was removed. He said that when a person is arrested and appears in court, they do not wear their street clothes, as Dean did today. So Dean was not put behind bars. He was given special treatment. No surprise here.