Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Downtown date ends with theft of $510

A date set up on the Internet ended with the theft of $510 in cash Friday, a Richmond County sheriff's report said.

The victim told a deputy she had been talking with the suspect for months online and arranged a rendezvous on 15th Street.

The couple ended up at the Augusta River Walk and then the suspect, Corey Ramsey, suddenly said he had to use the rest room and bolted out of the car, leaving behind the now empty bank envelope, a report said.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/23/11 - 06:12 am
USAPatriot, Why relish at

USAPatriot, Why relish at someone being a victim of a criminal?

No matter what, ALL responsibilty should always be placed on the criminal as they are the dredges of society.

Jillian
Jillian 01/23/11 - 06:57 am
Does laughing at the victim

Does laughing at the victim of a crime make you any better than the criminal? I just can't see anything funny about this story.

Southern_Patriot
Southern_Patriot 01/23/11 - 07:57 am
"rendezvous on 15th St" the

"rendezvous on 15th St" the date was doomed from start

Imzadi
Imzadi 01/23/11 - 08:57 am
"Internet Dating" The date

"Internet Dating" The date was doomed from the start

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/23/11 - 09:21 am
"The couple went several

"The couple went several places in the woman's car, including the victim's credit union, where she cashed a check for $510."

not a very good idea...just saying

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/23/11 - 09:34 am
Bless the lady. What a shame!

Bless the lady. What a shame!

Iamrightyouarewrong
Iamrightyouarewrong 01/23/11 - 09:40 am
I'm not laughing at her, but

I'm not laughing at her, but something is fishy about this story.

nofrills
nofrills 01/23/11 - 09:42 am
She is just lucky he only

She is just lucky he only took her money, he could of killed or raped her. stole her car? Money can be replaced. I only hope she has learned a lesson about internet dating.

scoobynews
scoobynews 01/23/11 - 10:21 am
I don't recall any date that

I don't recall any date that ever involved me driving around to several places and cashing a check. Sounds funny!

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/23/11 - 10:34 am
Accepting an internet date

Accepting an internet date with someone in downtown Augusta is like sending money to the Nigerian lottery.

dani
dani 01/23/11 - 11:28 am
Gullibility..My, my. When

Gullibility..My, my.
When will they ever learn.
Meet with a stranger, allow him into your car, withdraw cash...........
Beyond belief.

wiskeyriver
wiskeyriver 01/23/11 - 12:23 pm
She must have met him in one

She must have met him in one of the chat rooms on AOL

boomhauer
boomhauer 01/23/11 - 12:29 pm
Some people just don't know

Some people just don't know any better and have to learn the hard way. I agree with a couple of comments on here, something doesn't sound right with the story, I think there might be a little more to it as well.

Chillen
Chillen 01/23/11 - 12:45 pm
$510 is a very odd amount to

$510 is a very odd amount to cash a check for. Just sayin'. This story warrants a little further investigation.

fmm1249
fmm1249 01/23/11 - 01:12 pm
There is nothing

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with internet dating: there are probably a lot more scams attempted in bars every night of the week (or even from those you meet in church). A loser is a loser no matter where you find them. Never carry that amount of cash with anyone: especially in these economic times. And people, never be so desparate to find Mr or Ms Right that you forget your own standards and safety.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 01/23/11 - 01:36 pm
Any chance of better

Any chance of better descriptions? Another reason to take a picture of new people so you have their photo to blast out just before you die... ha ha.

newmommy2010
newmommy2010 01/23/11 - 01:54 pm
I have to agree with fmm1249,

I have to agree with fmm1249, a stranger is a stranger no matter if you meet a person in a bar, through a friend, or on the internet. You run the risk of finding a "scam" person no matter what. The internet has given some people the opportunity to meet persons that they would have otherwise never met and has many success stories. I was single long enough to know that it's as easy to meet a "fool in person" as it is to meet them other ways such as the internet. I pray that this woman vows to use better judgement and raise her standards as to the type of man she desires. I'm with the other posts on this one, a man who doesn't seem ready to date (no car, no money), doesn't need to date.

dani
dani 01/23/11 - 10:10 pm
She was left with an empty

She was left with an empty bank envelope which means she didn't use an ATM. She had to see a teller, probably a drive-through.

Cadence
Cadence 01/23/11 - 04:41 pm
Maybe that was all she had in

Maybe that was all she had in the bank. But, yes, why would you need 500 dollars on a first date? Unless he gave her the sad "I need money" story.

dougk
dougk 01/23/11 - 05:33 pm
My gosh, people. What's the

My gosh, people. What's the big stir over the amount of the check? And, why the assumption that it was drawn on her own account? It may have been a check for her weekly earnings? But, really, WHAT difference does it make???

happychimer
happychimer 01/23/11 - 06:52 pm
Don't knock internet dating.

Don't knock internet dating. My son met the love of his life online. They lived hundreds of miles from each other. They ended up marrying, and have a very good marriage.They both are very happy.

72stillworking
72stillworking 01/23/11 - 06:59 pm
She is lucky that all she

She is lucky that all she lost is $510. It could have been her life.

Hoser
Hoser 01/23/11 - 11:10 pm
15th Street.........nuff sed

15th Street.........nuff sed

CABoatright
CABoatright 01/24/11 - 08:25 am
Imzadi-You crack me up &

Imzadi-You crack me up & great logo you've got there!

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 01/24/11 - 10:00 am
im sorry but why in the world

im sorry but why in the world would you go cash a 510 dollar check for a date to go downtown and then you leave your money in an envelope where somebody can just grab it....first date you would think the guy would be paying

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 01/24/11 - 12:19 pm
She is lucky she got off so

She is lucky she got off so light. I paid about $150 for the first date I had with my wife and it has been costing me a lot more than that since.

staind620
staind620 01/24/11 - 01:04 pm
There are most definitely

There are most definitely success stories about internet dating. My wife and I met online and we now have our first child on the way. We lived right down the street from each other and never would have met in our "everyday lives". Don't knock it. Scum is scum, online or in person. This could have happened even if she had met this guy in a bar or at the grocery store! I am glad that nothing worse than losing some money happend to her.