Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Survivor of serial killer's attack faces drug charges

Christilee Barton, who helped authorities track down serial murderer Reinaldo Rivera, was jailed Wednesday on drug charges in Aiken.

The arrest was part of a two-month investigation by Aiken County authorities. After serving a search warrant, authorities found marijuana and charged Barton, 28, of Warrenville, S.C., with simple possession of marijuana, authorities say. Two other people were also charged.

In 2000, Rivera told Barton he was a photographer and could make her a model, but after she let him into her home he raped her and stabbed her in the throat several times.

Rivera had raped and killed four other women before attacking Barton.

charliemanson
charliemanson 01/15/11 - 05:17 am
After what she went through,

After what she went through, she can be forgiven for wanting to smoke some wacky weed.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/15/11 - 05:38 am
Although we should all be

Although we should all be held accountable for our actions, if ever there was a person deserving a second chance...maybe re-hab in lieu of charges, then Barton certainly qualifies.

bushwhacker
bushwhacker 01/15/11 - 06:44 am
so....according to yall , if

so....according to yall , if i have a bad childhood i should get a lighter sentence? Sounds like democrat thoughts to me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/11 - 07:17 am
Aiken County spent two months

Aiken County spent two months investigating this and charged her with simple possession of marijuana? What a complete waste of manpower.

airbud7
airbud7 01/15/11 - 09:09 am
"Christilee Barton, helped

"Christilee Barton, helped authorities track down serial murderer Reinaldo Rivera"

I am sure Rivera would have kept on killing!
Christilee is a Hero!

Bonk
Bonk 01/15/11 - 09:31 am
Simple possession of MJ??

Simple possession of MJ?? OMG hold the presses and make sure the chronicle gets her name and troubles out to the public. This area is so mean-spirited. Wouldn't even made the news in most places

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 01/15/11 - 10:18 am
Very sadly, Rivera had a

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 01/15/11 - 11:29 am
very sad is that there was a

very sad is that there was a two month investigation that netted NOTHING and it doesnt matter what other charges she has accrued those charges are a non issue she got arrested for a gas drive off and having a joint....i mean wow no telling how much money was used for this sting operation.....and you busted someone with a joint and a 17 year old pot dealer who is still a minor complete and total waste of time how bout aiken solve some murders that are still on the books.......

CharlesB
CharlesB 01/15/11 - 12:29 pm
Good Lord Austin. I keep

Good Lord Austin. I keep forgetting what an authority you are on everything until you open your jaw and remind us all. Fix yourself, then come tell us about others' problems.

freeradical
freeradical 01/15/11 - 01:21 pm
This gal is a regular Willie

This gal is a regular Willie Nelson.

I'd like to hear The officer's harrowing first hand account of bringing

down this kingpin, but Aiken's Serprico Junior is much to busy right now

hiding in the bathroom.

xpresso1
xpresso1 01/15/11 - 01:05 pm
My question is did she

My question is did she receive any counseling after she went through this horrific ordeal? Or was she just cast aside and lost in the crowd? I for one do not uphold drug use of any kind, however I do believe that each circumstance is different. I would really like to know what services she received after her ordeal.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/11 - 01:06 pm
I wouldn't have said that,

I wouldn't have said that, Austin. The fact is they charged her with possessing a small amount of mj.....a nothing crime.

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 01/15/11 - 01:36 pm
if you expressly do not

if you expressly do not uphold any drug use of any kind dont take aspirin it kills more people every year than mj has ever killed in 30 years...dont take blood pressure medicine nothing its all drugs...

Gaangel
Gaangel 01/15/11 - 01:46 pm
leave austin alone... he

leave austin alone... he knows what he is talking about...

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 01/15/11 - 11:01 pm
Aiken County expends time and

Aiken County expends time and manpower for 3 MONTHS for this after ignoring all the evidence that the two women killed and burned in Aiken most likely were not killed by the guy who did the attack on the convenience store owner here? How bought the two young girls who were shot execution style from Aiken County? Or the musician who was killed at Petticoat Junction? Or the car shooting where two guys car was riddled with bullets going down Pine log Rd? Not a peep about that cause those crimes don't bring in cash or forfeitures. Most likely there are at least 2 murderers running around this area not even being investigated and all they can do is charge a states witness??? See why the taxpayers want our tax money back? We want our money back!
One law for them, another set of laws for U.S.
Join AugustaCrimeStoppers.org. Let’s REALLY stop folks being attacked & dying.

RAWR
RAWR 01/15/11 - 02:33 pm
Riverman they did not print

Riverman they did not print everything. According to better news sources they arrested 2 other people. Charged one with possession of meth. The other with possession with intent to distribute and 5 charges of distributing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/11 - 03:08 pm
Rawr, maybe so, but this

Rawr, maybe so, but this woman was only charged with the mj possession. Plus, there is no reason to say derogatory things about those women who were unfortunate enough to run into Rivera.

That is assuming Austin's quote below is being critical of the women as it appears to be to me.

Austin said, "Very sadly, Rivera had a pattern of preying on women who made very, very bad choices. Sorry that Barton did not heed her brush with death as a wake up call. Her record since the Rivera attack has far more on it than what you read here, her path seemed to be set before she met him, and she continues on it to this day."

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 01/15/11 - 11:04 pm
Does everyone Know Richmond

Does everyone Know Richmond County DFCS GAVE CUSTODY of an UNRELATED Young Woman to Rivera and ordered her to "DO-WHAT-HE-TELLS-YOU-TO-DO"? You can imagine what he did to her.
Blowup Dolls passé’?
DFACS may hook you up with a Teenybopper just for showing up.
Ha ahha

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 01/15/11 - 11:07 pm
Barton has far more in her

Barton has far more in her criminal record than this article tells you. I stand by my comments...as I always do.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 01/15/11 - 11:15 pm
...and no need to assume

...and no need to assume anything , RM, my stand on the Rivera victims is quite clear. The girls that Rivera targeted were picked because they were easy, compliant targets. Or so the investigators believed.

User420
User420 01/16/11 - 12:54 am
Wasting all this time on MJ

Wasting all this time on MJ and we can't keep up with registered sex offenders in the CSRA or solve any murders. Yeah I feel so much safer since a pothead is jail :-/

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 01/16/11 - 10:16 am
Fred... I suppose hiding

Fred... I suppose hiding behind a phony name allows all sorts of claims to be made. My take on the Rivera case is substantiated by the facts. Your opinions are irrelevant and expressed quite cowardly.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/16/11 - 10:26 am
Austin, define "easy,

Austin, define "easy, compliant targets."

I don't think any of them willingly put themselves in positions to be murdered. They may have been doing what people do in pursuit of relationships of all kinds, but JUST because they ran into a psychopathic killer I would never slam them. They are deceased after all. It's bad form if nothing else.

justfred
justfred 01/16/11 - 10:32 am
Austin, name is Rick Mobley.

Austin, name is Rick Mobley. What did I say to offend you?

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 01/16/11 - 10:36 am
When discussing crime, and

When discussing crime, and the best ways to fight it, it is folly not to address personal responsibility and behavior. I pass no judgements on the character of the victims, but I do point out that ALL appear to have willingly and openly invited Rivera into their lives. He wasn't disguised as a policeman or a physician, but as a an amateur photographer who promised money and a risqué portfolio. This is not opinion, it is fact. I sat in this court room and heard the case. I have spoken with the prosecutors,investigators, and yes, even the defense attorneys in the case. What I say here on the topic was stated clearly in columns I wrote in the Metro Spirit, and on my radio show. It has never been challenged by anyone with standing, nor would it be.

Every single discussion on crime in this community needs to begin and end with urging personal responsibility and wise choices. Property crimes can happen to anyone, just about any where. But crimes of such an intense personal nature...rape, murder, etc, often begin with horrific personal choices or risks taken by the victims.

There are cases where people are targeted out of the blue, and victimized without such risks being taken, but in this area, those cases are quite rare.

The distastefulness of the truth does not make it any less true.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 01/16/11 - 10:40 am
Rick, my email address is

Rick, my email address is Austin@wgac.com

You got something to say to me, you can say it there. Or, come see me. Either way works.

justfred
justfred 01/16/11 - 10:41 am
Austin, my e-mail is

Austin, my e-mail is rick@athenswebdesigns.com. You got the same options.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/16/11 - 10:44 am
Austin, you are missing the

Austin, you are missing the point. We all KNOW the case and victims in detail. It does no good to slam them here as you are doing. The women were living their lives and came upon a mass murderer. You said investigators believed this and that about the women. If they told you anything derogatory about these victims they certainly didn't intend for you to say it in print or on the air. That's certainly a different matter that you apparently don't get.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 01/16/11 - 10:47 am
RM...you have no clue as to

RM...you have no clue as to what you are talking about. None at all. My comments stand, and the observations are germane because the best way to avoid being a victim is NOT putting yourself in harm's way.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/16/11 - 10:53 am
I'm curious where you would

I'm curious where you would draw the line, Austin. If a young woman meets a guy and they talk a little and then decide to go somewhere else, you feel her behavior caused her murder if the guy kills her?

Weekly crime map, database

Violent crimes for the past week included 102 assaults, four of which was classified as aggravated assaults. The most assaults in a single day, 22, occurred on Aug. 17.