Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

2 shot after getting off school bus

HEPHZIBAH --- Two young men were shot Friday afternoon on Carrington Drive, minutes after they stepped off their school bus.

Back | Next
Sgt. Jim Gordon, of the Richmond County crime scene unit, marks evidence near the corner of Hickory-Cove Road and Carrington Drive in Hephzibah.   Corey Perrine/Staff
Corey Perrine/Staff

Jay Robinson had just collected his children from the bus stop in the 2600 block of Carrington when he saw the pair lingering near Hickory-Cove Road.

A green 1980s Pontiac pulled up with five men inside, and words were exchanged between the two groups, authorities and Robinson said.

"I heard two shots, then one man fell," Robinson said. "Then two more shots and the other one fell."

Robinson pushed his kids inside the house, then rushed back outside as he dialed 911. As he talked with dispatchers, he checked to make sure the victims were OK.

They were talking, saying, "Help me, I've been hit," Robinson said.

Robinson said he tried not to panic, "but I've never been in a situation like that before."

Sheriff's Lt. Calvin Chew said the victims, who were not identified Friday, suffered injuries to their buttocks and legs.

Their wounds were not considered life-threatening.

Investigators are still trying to piece together who did the shooting; the victims knew the gunman only by his street name, Chew said.

Robinson moved to this neighborhood of brick-facade homes for the peace and quiet south of Tobacco Road.

On New Year's Eve, however, it became a din of people firing their guns into the air, Robinson said.

He recognized the two victims Friday as kids he had talked to in the past and tried to mentor.

"I feel bad," Robinson said. "I always tell them to stay off the street."

floridasun
floridasun 01/14/11 - 04:58 pm
Trouble generally rides in a

Trouble generally rides in a 1980's Pontiac

airbud7
airbud7 01/15/11 - 07:46 am
What did willie just

What did willie just say???

Must have been Bad/willies Post is Deleted???

Imzadi
Imzadi 01/14/11 - 05:28 pm
Sounds a little like the

Sounds a little like the teacher in Charlie Brown WAhhh wa WAhhhhh WAHHHH Wah. I guess he was sayin He gunna git yooo suckas

omnomnom
omnomnom 01/14/11 - 05:31 pm
HEY GUYS ITS OK THE CITYS

HEY GUYS ITS OK THE CITYS CRIME RATE IS APPARENTLY SHOWING A DECLINE

countyman
countyman 01/14/11 - 05:58 pm
You're correct, The majority

You're correct, The majority of crimes(rapes, armed robberiess, aggravated assaults, etc) all decreased in 2010...

BamaMan
BamaMan 01/14/11 - 06:41 pm
Only knew them by their

Only knew them by their street names....doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/14/11 - 07:10 pm
This is a pretty serious

This is a pretty serious matter. Shooting people after they step off a school bus hits at the county education system.

Iamrightyouarewrong
Iamrightyouarewrong 01/14/11 - 07:22 pm
Who would ever believe that

Who would ever believe that five young black males in an old green Pontiac would ever do such a thing.....There must be some kind of mistake. That just never happens.

happychimer
19565
happychimer 01/14/11 - 07:44 pm
2 shot and the jokes begin.

2 shot and the jokes begin. sick

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 01/14/11 - 09:12 pm
I betcha their parents are

I betcha their parents are aware of the vehicles their children ride in, and know exactly who did this. Parents you need to turn them in, they are lucky they did not MURDER one of em! Then get them all the help to get them off the streets.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/14/11 - 09:16 pm
See this is where the

See this is where the attitude of they only shoot each other is dangerous. There were innocent kids on that bus as the bullets were flying. Crime endangers everyone.

dani
dani 01/14/11 - 09:21 pm
Hey..gets your 5 mins of fame

Hey..gets your 5 mins of fame when you own a gun. Might even be on TV.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/14/11 - 09:35 pm
I couldn't understand Willie

I couldn't understand Willie either, forget the Queen's English, how about just being partially fluent.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 01/14/11 - 09:35 pm
This is NOT the WILD WILD

This is NOT the WILD WILD WEST! Parents get a handle on your siblings, before it is too late.

dougk
dougk 01/14/11 - 09:55 pm
Siblings??

Siblings??

joekm46
joekm46 01/15/11 - 07:05 am
" yes sir jumped up and bit

" yes sir jumped up and bit me in the buttocks. They say it was a million dollar wound. The government must have kept the money, I never saw a nickle of that money"

stix
stix 01/15/11 - 08:20 am
This is really no suprise.

This is really no suprise. Everytime you turn on the news, or look at the paper its in the headline.. Where are the parents??? TAKE CARE OF YOUR KIDS!

bentman
bentman 01/15/11 - 08:33 am
HEPHZIBAH

HEPHZIBAH

belle
belle 01/15/11 - 09:37 am
Iamrightyouarewrong....I can

Iamrightyouarewrong....I can assure you that this shooting did not occur because of political reasons. However, you are right about the family structures and the loss of self-respect and values. You cannot limit that to a race...it is happening in all homes. It is the biggest problem this country faces.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/15/11 - 09:42 am
iamright....You are right

iamright....You are right about most of your post BUT the crime didn't just spread from Atlanta....you have had it all along....remember Regency Mall...thugs closed it. It seems almost impossible that we accept this in todays world...kids shot when getting off a school bus!! What comes next.....kids shot while sitting in the school room??

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 01/15/11 - 11:10 am
Gang violence is on the rise.

Gang violence is on the rise. It will only get worse now.

Brad

countyman
countyman 01/15/11 - 11:22 am
Riverman1, The bus dropped

Riverman1, The bus dropped the students off and left... They weren't shot getting off the bus.. This happen after school hours while the young men were walking home.. The shooters might not even be students for all we know.. There was no bus or kids on the bus around at the time of the shooting.....

Brad, the article says nothing about the incident being gang-related.. Non gang members shoot and kill people everyday in america...

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/15/11 - 11:23 am
countyman pllleeeze...How

countyman pllleeeze...How many steps away from the bus...10 ---15----25 steps away....you make me laugh sometimes when you try to justify your stats......UNREAL...the kids were shot within minutes of leaving a school bus...You couldn't give me a house in RICHMOND COUNTY......a family robbed while leaving the Augusta Mall around 6pm....now tell me how many feet away from the mall....10 ---20 feet
what difference does it make.....DO YOU HAVE KIDS??

jess333
jess333 01/15/11 - 11:31 am
@ iamright Not every family

@ iamright Not every family uses Welfare for the wrong reasons. My Mother used the system when she divorced my Father. She had to take care of myself and my brother with severe mental retardation. I used to be embarassed by that, but I understand she had to do it at the time. The difference is she used it to get us on our feet, not as a means for a long term support system as many do. I agree that Welfare is used by way too many people who are just lazy...but to say that all use the system inappropriately is wrong.

trimmy
trimmy 01/15/11 - 11:36 am
The only way to stop this is

The only way to stop this is to deal out some real punishment. Our chicken crap system is afraid of the criminal element for some reason. Political correctness needs to be toned down a little, because we're making a mockery of the Constitution. Our rights are being shifted away from (real law abiding citizens) to criminals and illegal aliens. I'm sick of it and I don't blame the police. Their hands are tied. I believe our country is being given away to people who don't deserve to live here. You must obey the rules to get to stay. Someone needs to think of something to help this situation, before it's too late. My way is not politically correct.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 01/15/11 - 11:40 am
For the record, my handle is

For the record, my handle is not Iamrightyouarewrong. We are two different users. I am stating this now to avoid any confusion in the future. As clearly our views lay on two different sides of the fence.

countyman
countyman 01/15/11 - 12:09 pm
If it doesn't matter then why

If it doesn't matter then why respond to my post. Wow! Two crimes are commited in Augusta and the sky is falling...

Augusta R/C is safer than most of its peers... The 2009 FBI stats don't lie...

1. Montgomery, AL 429
2. Raleigh, NC 493
3. Augusta, GA 503
4. Durham, NC (city & county) 607
5. Norfolk, VA 656
6. Durham, NC (city) 707
7. Winston-Salem, NC 753
8. Greensboro, NC 766
9. Richmond, VA 803
10. Shreveport. LA 890
11. Baton Rouge, LA 1,265
12. Little Rock, AR 1,469

The FBI used the population of Augusta-RC. The other cities besides Durham show the crime stats for their city limits only. If you included some of the suburban areas in their county. The violent crime stats would drop a little(Similar to Durham being #4 & #6). As you can see Augusta is still safer than Durham, even if the city was consolidated with the county. If you included the city limits of Hephzibah and Blythe in Richmond County. Then used the Richmond County population instead of the Augusta-RC population. The violent crime ranking would drop for Augusta similar to the other cities...

countyman
countyman 01/15/11 - 12:18 pm
You couldn't give me a house

You couldn't give me a house in GWINNETT COUNTY... A armored car employee was robbed INSIDE the Mall of Georgia and shots were fired INSIDE the mall..

A 16 year old shot another 16 year old in front of Britt elementary schoo outside of South Gwinnett high school..

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/15/11 - 12:13 pm
Stop it countyman...I'm going

Stop it countyman...I'm going out to lunch & I don't want to get choked with your outlandish posts... 2 crimes only*****DON'T YOU WISH!!
So far we haven't had kids shot while leaving a school bus & as you said some of our misdeeds here are done by illegals....please get a grip on reality in RICHMOND COUNTY & stop sugar coating the facts...I know you want to sell real estate...YA BETTER DO SUMTHIN about the crime bigboy! seeya
We do have a police station at the Mall of GA. btw

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/15/11 - 12:17 pm
If you would stop wasting

If you would stop wasting your time with stats......Give the RC police some help creating neighborhood watch programs----btw I'll match Gwinnett cty problems with RC problems any day of the week.....betcha wish you could sell real estate here....it might make you a rich guy!!