Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Driver fleeing police causes 3-car wreck

Five people were taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital late Thursday after a driver fleeing from Blythe police caused a three-car wreck, a Georgia State Patrol spokeswoman said.

Bert Maxwell, of Augusta , was driving southbound in the northbound lane of U.S. Highway 1 when he struck a Ford Taurus head-on while fleeing police.

A third vehicle was trying to avoid the crash but struck the Taurus on the left side, according to Georgia State Patrol.

No further details were available Friday evening.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 12/31/10 - 07:47 pm
I hope maxwell gets hit with

I hope maxwell gets hit with the silver hammer.

too_much_time
too_much_time 12/31/10 - 08:39 pm
nah...they'll blame the

nah...they'll blame the police for chasing him as usual.

bclicious
bclicious 12/31/10 - 10:55 pm
Yeah probably. It's

Yeah probably. It's obviously the police's fault. The police should just stop pursuing criminals.

reba530
reba530 12/31/10 - 11:11 pm
yeah right bclicious... no

yeah right bclicious... no the stupid idiot should have stopped when he saw blue lights instead of trying to be bad and out run them..the police were just doing their jobs..if stupid ignorant people such as this man would have stopped like he was suppose to then no one would be hurt. i hope he pays dearly for this..knowing him he probably has no license or insurance...go figure

TK3
TK3 12/31/10 - 11:36 pm
I thought I read that the cop

I thought I read that the cop started chasing the car for a traffic infraction and the driver caused a wreck trying to escape. I don't think it is wise or safe for police to pursue someone at high speed for "infractions", even if they "luck out"!

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 12/31/10 - 11:54 pm
They'll be forced to harpoon

They'll be forced to harpoon cars sooner or later. I vote sooner.
Happy New Year E*V*E*R*Y*B*O*D*Y:o)

bclicious
bclicious 01/01/11 - 12:07 am
Reba530, You know I was being

Reba530,

You know I was being sarcastic right?

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/01/11 - 06:43 am
TK3, as of yet, it does not

TK3, as of yet, it does not state why the police were attempting to stop him. However, in most all cases where the police are forced to chase a vehicle, even when it starts over a traffic violation, it is because their is a true criminal behind the wheel. Look at the recent death of a Georgia State Trooper attempting to stop a vehicle with a burnt out headlight, a murderer was behind the wheel.

Often traffic stops and chases lead to the saving of lives through the arrest of violent criminals. Furthermore, if crooks know police will not chase them then more and more of them will simply speed away. Often when police have broken off chases due to their danger, the felons still continue to speed and sometimes crash later anyway.

What we really need to do is place blame where it should lay...directly on the criminals for being who/what they are, not anyone else. It would however help if our judges would keep criminals behind bars where they belong, especially violent criminals.

Police Officers are also at times killed or injured badly during a police chase. However, police know that you simply can't stop chasing criminals and many times even if you have a tag, it isn't the owner of the vehicle that is driving so you wouldn't have a way to follow up later. Also, if someone is going to flee the police then their driving skills are very risky and dangerous as it is anyway so if the reason the wreck isn't because of the police chase it is likely that something else will cause it.

It was obvious that BcLicious and others were being sarcastic about blaming the police because anyone with 1/2 a brain fully understands that it is no way shape or form the fault of the police that we have criminals who endanger others by fleeing.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 01/01/11 - 10:38 am
Perhaps they need to install

Perhaps they need to install devices like OnStar in all vehicles- and let the police have something like a radar gun to point and disables the car to stop these high speed chases

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/01/11 - 12:09 pm
I have a strange feeling that

I have a strange feeling that the day could come that we will have a disable button on our body....& one push from the police would disable us...stranger things could happen ya know!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/01/11 - 02:18 pm
Briefly, I'll go through some

Briefly, I'll go through some facts. Almost half of high speed chases end in injury to the runner, the officer or the public. Many communities don't allow such chases unless there is good reason to believe a violent felony is taking place. The vast majority of those who run are not committing crimes except for the traffic violation. The communities that have banned high speed chases don't have any increase in those who don't stop for officers. People don't suddenly start running from officers if they know there is a no chase policy.

There is an organization dedicated to stopping high speed chases because they have had loved ones who were innocent bystanders killed by such chases.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/02/11 - 02:06 pm
Riverman1, there is some

Riverman1, there is some organization dedicated to stopping the use of tazers, others for legalizing marijuana, others for legalizing gambling, etc. so that means nothing other than they lost a loved one and need an outlet so with misguided information they seek to imrpove things from their point of view.

As for you "facts", please provide us with the database and/or website from where you received this information because I believe it to be far from acurate vs. what I have read and studied.

Furthermore, when you fail to persue, you simply don't know who you just let go down the street and therefore, you never know the further cause or harm that that person did through violent crimes or others means.

Sweet son
Sweet son 01/02/11 - 04:23 pm
I am with others, what was

I am with others, what was the probable cause to stop? And, why did a chase at high speeds insue? If you have traveled US 1 South of Augusta at night and as are in the area where 1 and 88 intersect you might see a reflection in the median. Guess who? Might be the Blythe Police running radar. I really don't think much of Blythe, the city, is on US 1. Probably gets boring on Blythe's 8 or 10 streets. "Maybe I will just go out on number 1 and write a few". UNNECESSARY INJURIES!!

Tinkerbell32270
Tinkerbell32270 01/02/11 - 09:48 pm
First of all...It was my

First of all...It was my family that was in the wreck. The man that was running from the police was being stopped for speeding and tail light out. He ran from Police because he had drugs and alcohol in his vehicle. Should the police have chased him when he ran? YES, the man is the one who chose to cross the medium and onto the northbound lane. It was not long before he hit my Cousins car head on...then my sister's car hit my cousin’s car due to the high speed everyone was going. We are more worried about the ability of the hospital then the police department there. My Sister's husband was driving the third car and posted on face book and I quote “I don’t think they even have running water”. I guess living up in Northeast Ohio with the Cleveland Clinic so close to home we take for granted that people in other parts of the America get good quality care and the newest medical treatments that we have here. Believe me you do not. This wreck could not have happened in one of the worst towns for medical care. My cousin's life will NEVER be the same. Our hearts are broken as to the horrible hard life ahead of her. That is if she even makes it. She is still in Critical condition. This Maxwell guy also has issues and made some really bad decision to which he will pay for his mistakes. As far as Police Chases...what kind of order would this world have if criminals are allow to run and police cannot chase them. Do innocent people get hurt...of course they do but we cannot let criminals dictate how they are going to abide by the law. We all have to abide by the law for there to be order. Please pray for my cousin she has a long long road ahead of her and will never walk again.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/02/11 - 10:13 pm
AsitisinAug, this dicussion

AsitisinAug, this dicussion has come up after almost every major accident as a result of a high speed chase. I have posted links with studies ad nausea. People don't suddenly become runners if the jurisdiction has a no high speed chase policy. Almost half of high speed chases end in accidents where the culprit, officer or innocent public are injured. Most runners are not committing serious crimes other than fleeing.

Now understand I'd increase the penalty for not stopping to at least 20 years in prison. I'd also use every means including slow pursuits to stop someone who doesn't stop, but a dangerous chase around innocent people should not be used. Many cities are moving to just such policies. Unless there is good reason to believe a dangerous felony is being committed the officer and public are much better off not chasing the perpertrator.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/03/11 - 07:09 am
Riverman1, re-posting your

Riverman1, re-posting your opinion does not back it up. Although I appreciate your opinion, I belive it to be just that because nowhere am I able to find anything that even remotely supports your opinion or the fact that 50% end in injuries nor does anyting support your statement that most runners aren't committing serious crimes other than fleeing.

Often times a DUI driver will flee, maybe even wreck but should the police have not persued them and simply allowed them to go on their way what is to say they wouldn't have wrecked and killed more people because the police failed to do their job. The same goes for a vehicle full of drugs (often a reason for fleeing) that gets into the hands of our children...how many die each year from drug use? You can argue this position either way and I do agree that in rare cases, the police should break off the chase but in most cases, they need to persue and ALL BLAME should be placed on the person behind the wheel who is violating the law.

I personally don't know of any police departments with a "no chase" policy. Departments do have strict guidelines that include limiting speeds, areas, day/night, other traffic on the roads, etc. as well as if it is a felony or traffic charges but they don't have blanket no chase policies, nor should they. Most departments have implemented other measures as well such as emergency vehicle operators training, pit maneuvers, spike strip training, etc. to stop chases sooner and keep them safer but the bottom line is that police need to be able to chase and aprehend those who fail to stop until it is determined not worth the risk at the time. That is a command, on the scene decision and often you will not know it isn't safe until it it too late and even then it doesn't mean you shouldn't have been persuing them.

As for the penalties, I can agree with you there but we can't even keep murderers in jail for 20 years much less those who fail to stop for the police.

As for devices to "shut down cars" being used by the police. Actually, on-star and other such devices make it currently possible. However, this is certainly not a device I believe to be of widespread use because anything the police have, criminals will have as well. Do we really want our wife or daughter driving down the road in a vehicle that a criminal can shut down remotely? Also, just like if we outlaw guns only criminals will have them, in this case criminals would have already disabled this function on their vehicles before going out to commit crimes.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/03/11 - 07:09 am
Riverman1, re-posting your

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/03/11 - 07:13 am
Tinkerbell32270, my prayers

Tinkerbell32270, my prayers for a speedy recovery of your family members. Also, kudos for placing the blame where it belongs and supporting law enforcement for trying their best to do thier jobs effectively.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/11 - 10:55 pm
Asitisinaug...sorry for not

Asitisinaug...sorry for not getting back to this sooner. Here is a link with the stats from studies done by a University of South Carolina professor.

Also, go to the pursuitwatch.org home page to see many studies and articles on the danger of high speed chases.

Read the opening page also where it is explained these articles and statistics are in no way intended to slam officers.

Here is one quote that sums up the problem of high speed chases:

"Sobering numbers. Given the fact that several studies have shown that fewer than 17% of pursuits are for an underlying serious felony. The shocking fact is that 29,000 to 58,000 pursuits, resulting in 6,000 to 12,000 injuries, are undertaken for traffic, misdemeanor, or property crimes. Up to 4,000 injuries to innocent bystanders each year for crimes that usually result in a simple fine or a slap on the wrist."

No murder charge for Martinez mother

There is not enough evidence to prosecute a Martinez mother charged with murder in the death of her 5½-month-old son, a judge ruled Tuesday.