Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Three charged with Thomson killing

THOMSON --- Murder charges have been filed against two more suspects in the slaying of a 24-year-old Thomson man, authorities say.

Back | Next
Bennett  Special
Special
Bennett

Michael Ayers, the special agent in-charge of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Region 7 Office in Thomson, identified those suspects as Calvin Curtis, 19, of the 1000 block of Nathan Jones Circle, Harlem, and Jatheus Bennett, 17, of the 2800 block of Pine Forest Drive, Dearing.

Warrants obtained Tuesday charge each of the men with murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

A third suspect was arrested Monday, according to McDuffie County Sheriff Logan Marshall. That suspect was identified as Dexter Jones, 21, of the 3500 block of Augusta Manor Apartments, off Mike Padgett Highway in south Augusta. Jones also is charged with murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of certain crimes.

The three suspects are accused in the weekend shooting of Kenneth James "Kenny" Johnson, of Greenbrier Road. Johnson was shot not far from his home on Sunday night, shortly before 10 p.m. He died early Monday at Medical College of Georgia Hospital in Augusta.

Authorities have not disclosed a motive for the shooting.

It is the fourth homicide in McDuffie County in the past two months. In November, there were three within two weeks.

HHSgrad
HHSgrad 12/22/10 - 11:27 am
Lock them up for life!!! My

Lock them up for life!!! My prayers are with Krystal, the kids and both families. I couldn't believe this when I heard it. These 3 need to suffer dearly just like the families are doing now. This is so sad and shocking.

mable8
mable8 12/22/10 - 01:49 pm
While one can understand the

While one can understand the feelings of spokentruth74, the truth of the matter is that one person is dead because of the other three--and they should get what they deserve for their actions. The jury will decide their fate, if innocent, they will be back on the streets; if guilty, then life w/o parole will be where their future lies. They made the choice to take another person's life and they will have to accept responsibility for that act and accept the consequences. Condolences and prayers to the victim's family; and prayers to the perpetrators' families for what they must endure in the coming months.

scoobynews
scoobynews 12/22/10 - 03:00 pm
Murder charges would not have

Murder charges would not have been filed had there not be substantial proof that they could get a conviction in court. Sometimes you don't know your friends at all. Regardless of how great you may think they are a person is dead and by their hand. I also do not consider a 19 or 21 year old "kids". Your a legal adult in the state of Georgia at age 18. In fact well before you turn 18 you know that killing is wrong and you will be punished for it. I have no sympathy what so ever for these misfits they arrested. I get so tired of the excuse "being in the wrong place at the wrong time" if you knew it was wrong before you went then why did you go. I don't know anyone directly involved so I can not say much about even the deseased's behavior but regardless of what it was he nor anyone else deserves to be murdered.

scoobynews
scoobynews 12/22/10 - 03:06 pm
I am trying to figure out why

I am trying to figure out why there are two postings still left on the site with "filtered" words. If their original posting were profanity filled then why even post them. It is to my understanding that right above me it says " you agree not to make racist, OBSCENE, or hateful remarks. Yet if a word is filtered does that not make it an obscene word? AC needs to decide if it wants to have conversation by adults or make this a venting site for teenagers.

truth778
truth778 12/22/10 - 07:43 pm
I would just like to say how

I would just like to say how sad it is that one man lost his life and that should not have happened . But every one is attacking the three involved when no one knows all of the story I know two of the young men that are charged and there sure is more to the story and hopefully with more investigating the whole truth will come out just because someoje says u are innocent because u are the one that lost your life or someone says u are guilty cause u are the one who did the killing don't mean u are or aren't guilty I know that the young men would not have shot unless there life were in danger of being killed I will continue to pray for the family of the young man who was killed and also for the three young men who are being charged and I know god will help the investigators get to the whole truth of what happened its a real bad thing when someone's life is taken but at the same time u should make the right choices in life that includes all people that were involved on that nite so may god last the whole truth be reviled God bless all people involved and may god be with the family of the young man killed. YOUNG ADULTS OF TODAY CHOOSE BETTER WAYS FOR YOURSELF AND DON'T GET INVOLVED IN ILLEGAL STUFF CAUSE THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS.

cbanana09
cbanana09 12/22/10 - 08:17 pm
I am sorry that this has

I am sorry that this has happened
Even more sorry that a family has lost someone that they really care about and love. There is no excuse for what happened but had he not have been illegal things maybe he would be here. When something bad like this happens people are sooooo quick to point their finger at the people that are at fault. It's not our job to judge anyone. We are not God the judge or the jury. Im am sad that my little cousin is wrapped up in this horrible situation but not none of us know what happened. So drop the attitides and nonsense because none of us were there.

Sav_Bri
Sav_Bri 12/22/10 - 10:58 pm
I dont care what reason there

I dont care what reason there was or what who was doing!! Did you know it is wrong to KILL?? Or take anothers life? Your "cousin" took one of my best friends husband, father of 2 soon to be 3, and son! I hope they get what they deserve! I hope they get Life so they have to live with it everyday of what they have done, OR the death sentence so they feel what that person had to fill. Tell me this. Would you still be saying this if your cousin was the one who was MURDERED??? Didn't think so. I rest my case

scoobynews
scoobynews 12/23/10 - 06:42 am
Once again excuses. If these

Once again excuses. If these men were being harassed, threatened, or felt they needed protection that is what the POLICE is for. I am sick of people thinking they can take matters into their own hands. If you are being pressured or bullied or whatever then go to the right people for help if not don't complain.

openeyes73
openeyes73 12/23/10 - 09:12 am
I know one of the young men

I know one of the young men that has been arrested for this terrible crime. I would welcome this young man into my home any day of the week and have welcomed him into my home several times. The only thing that he has ever been guilty of is being a teenager doing the same crazy things that teenagers do these days. And murder is not one of them and I truly do believe that in my heart. While it's easy for most on here to post their thoughts on this whole situation you should sincerely consider listening to those who know the young men involved. I cannot and will not speak for the other two because I don't know them personally but I know of them. I also know of the victim and unfortunately he was not living a saintly lifestyle. So as I tell my own son you put yourself in a dangerous situation then you need to be prepared for the outcome and blame no one other than yourself. My prayers do go out for all the families involved because this is a horrible thing to happen but at the end of the day I am also praying that one of the young men who has been arrested just hold his head up high and just know that his innocense will be proven and he can move on with his life and continue on with the plans that he has made for his life.

grinder48
grinder48 12/23/10 - 12:05 pm
I am sooo sick of dang near

I am sooo sick of dang near every day reading the "paper" and seeing another article of some thug that looks like this thug being a suspect or arrested for murder / shootings. What do these idiots think ... that they're not going to get caught and go to prision? Or are they just too stupid to think? I just don't get it ...

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 12/23/10 - 12:29 pm
If the three are proven

If the three are proven guilty... I would like to see them executed [i.e. electric chair, lethal injection, gas chamber] for their crimes. They do not deserve to live for the rest of their lives... at a huge cost to the taxpayer. Bring back capital punishment. These three made a choice when they took the life of another person; let them be held accountable for their 'choice'.

truth778
truth778 12/23/10 - 01:50 pm
To everyone wanting the three

To everyone wanting the three suspects killed maybe u should step back and stop saying that they are thugs when u don't know them everyone is saying that the young man that was killed was baptized and save well two of the young men I know are saved and baptized but what does that have to do with anything and two the person that said what if it was the other way around how would we feel the same way cause when u involve yourself in what they were doing that includes the victim than this is what happens it could have been the other way around so stop acting like no one knows why the victim was there that night cause everyone knows and god knows if my son was involved in something like that I would be devastated but at the same time o would not be calling the suspects hood rats and all the other names they are being called when all parties are partaking in a life style they should not have been living so get all the evidence before u talk cause the victim was not innocent true enough he should not have died but in that situation of what they set doing and have been doing for a long time all four parties involved it just could be very well that one of the suspects could be dead the truth will come out so stop saying how great the victim was when they all know what they art doing AND THE INVESTIGATORS WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT

fatboyhog
1925
fatboyhog 12/23/10 - 09:53 pm
My head and eyes hurt from

My head and eyes hurt from reading posts with zero punctuation.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/23/10 - 10:20 pm
fatboyhog...agreed. One very

fatboyhog...agreed. One very long sentence.
Teens these days just get into too much at too young of an age. Something needs to change real soon...

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 12/24/10 - 12:01 am
geez truth778.... 'u' didn't

geez truth778.... 'u' didn't get any punctuation keys with that keyboard, did 'u'??

J.W.
J.W. 12/24/10 - 04:58 pm
Look like three "fine

Look like three "fine upstanding" gentlemen to me. What are their priors? Someone normally posts all their previous arrests.

mda0205
mda0205 12/25/10 - 08:27 pm
I go to school with the

I go to school with the youngest suspect and he is in one of my classes. He is really nice and has never had a bad thing to say about anyone. He is very respectful to my parents and to the teachers. To my knowledge he has never gotten in trouble at school and to hear this about him through FB we are all in "AWE!" This is very strange and I hope that they get the answers they need and I hope that he had nothing to do with it. And if he did I want to believe that he couldn't have know this was going to happen! My prayers are with all the families involved at this time and during the holidays. Also, as a teenager myself it's my opinion that the parents should get to know their childrens friends before they let them go off with them and ask more questions about what's going in their life. PAY ATTENTION BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

truth778
truth778 12/25/10 - 10:31 pm
To the smart people on this

To the smart people on this page its a post didn't know I was doing an easy paper for a grade or money so punctuate that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't read it than.............. and what was every body priors all four involved not just the ones locked up.

curtisfelicia
curtisfelicia 01/04/11 - 06:12 pm
people please don't beleave

people please don't beleave everything u here. i'm very sorry for the family& mothers lost.i'm calvins sister they where all cuzs calvin has never gotten n to any trouble he is a very good workin man dex say n trouble wit da pol, and dex shot the boy cause he wanted soming he had.only one guilty is dex.calvin & jatheus don't have any thing to do wit it they have a hearing his wed.

curtisfelicia
curtisfelicia 01/04/11 - 06:24 pm
This gos out to mda0205 Thank

This gos out to mda0205 Thank You my mother n father are sick takin it so hard THANK YOU!!!!!!
All my prayers r out

curtisfelicia
curtisfelicia 01/04/11 - 06:28 pm
OPENEYES73

OPENEYES73
THANK U!!!!!!

lovelylady09
lovelylady09 01/23/11 - 12:29 pm
Im very sorry for the lose of

Im very sorry for the lose of kenneth johnson. my heart goes out to each and everyone of his family members. (expecially his wife & children).. just dexter not being here for our son rite now, i can only imagine the pain you and yalls children are goin through. everybody has their own opinion & right now alot of people are pointing fingers at dexter. he has got in trouble in his teenage years but now he has a family/son, he would never take another father away from their family knowing his son is his world. he told me that he did NOT do this and i really believe that, knowing the man he has become in the last 2 years. only GOD knows who really did this so hopefully my love (dexter) wont be to blame and can be with his family for ever. ive been praying and i have a really good feeling about it.

lovelylady09