Arrest after Pepperidge holdup attempt

A 27-year-old man was arrested this morning following an attempted armed robbery in the Pepperidge Subdivision this morning.

Jabali J. Howard  Richmond County Sheriff's Office photo
Richmond County Sheriff's Office photo
Jabali J. Howard

The victim told officers he was walking along the 2100 block of Pepperidge Drive when he saw two men drive by in a small black sedan. The men then got out with guns and demanded money, police said.

The victim waited until he saw cars passing nearby to make a run for it. One of the suspected robbers, Jabali Jerome Howard, followed on foot and beat the victim several times in the head with his gun, police said.

A deputy, who happened to be passing the subdivision entrance, witnessed the incident and arrested Howard.

He was charged with criminal attempt at armed robbery, aggravated assault, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 12/17/10 - 12:35 pm
HE looks SORRY, now!

HE looks SORRY, now! Hopefully, courts will keep this convicted felon in prison a LONG time. With his type of luck, he needs to find a new carreer.

JackBootedThug
JackBootedThug 12/17/10 - 12:35 pm
Score one for the good guys!

Score one for the good guys!

jones255
jones255 12/17/10 - 01:00 pm
Too bad the victim wasn't

Too bad the victim wasn't walking his XDm. Jabali is toast -- he's already a convicted felon. Hey Jabali -- I agree w/ Richmond, you need to find a different career path. GET A JOB !! Oh wait, you're heading back to the slammer. Merry Christmas !

dichotomy
32039
dichotomy 12/17/10 - 02:00 pm
Look at that mug shot. Lights

Look at that mug shot. Lights on, nobody home. If he can get Judge Jolly she will put him on probabtion where he can increase his robbery activity in order to pay the probation contractor and court kickback. It's all about the money. Repeat offenders, it's a business. Judges, lawyers, probation contractors. It's all a money game they play with our safety.

What about the second punk? Did he get away? If you are walking and a small black sedan pulls alongside, be ready to shoot anyone who jumps out. Don't give Judge Jolly a chance to put him on probation. She and other like minded judges are making our lives more dangerous. It's their game and we are forced to play so we might as well get serious about winning. I, personally, am getting to old to let some punk beat me on the head and rob me. Much easier to shoot them and hope that the worst I get is probation. How about it Judge Jolly (wink wink)? I'll even throw a little extra in the court kickback fund.

showboat
showboat 12/17/10 - 02:02 pm
MERRY -XMAS JABALI IN THE

MERRY -XMAS JABALI IN THE SLAMMER HOPE YOU ARE THERE FOR A LONG TIME!!!!!

sassylassie
sassylassie 12/17/10 - 04:11 pm
That officer was at the right

That officer was at the right place at the right time!
Wish that happened more often, then folks like this one won't be as ready to act crazy and try to take our hard earned money. What a piece of trash. LOCK HIM UP.

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 12/17/10 - 04:33 pm
So he'll be back on the

So he'll be back on the streets within a year?

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 12/17/10 - 05:04 pm
First they should slap that

First they should slap that belligerent look off his face, then they should see if he is willing to sing. Maybe a little jailhouse idol, because somewhere there is a black sedan and it's driver who is also guilty of a crime, and nobody knows who he is but this man.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 12/17/10 - 05:34 pm
what we have is a prior

what we have is a prior felon(theft), hey everyone listen, do you hear them their silence is deafening....it's the NAACP.. where are they, where are the so-called community and religious leaders, you know all the ones that were standing outside in the back of the marble palace decrying "racisim" because ms. beard took money earmarked for a charity and gave it to a rich cnty employeee, oh yeah that's right there's no money or recognition for demanding personal accountability and responsibility for those who want to break the law..let me guess "it's the man's fault" slavery caused jabali to rob and steal...he never had the opportunity to make something of himself because of "the man"

jhmooney1
jhmooney1 12/17/10 - 07:02 pm
I also live in Pepperridge. A

I also live in Pepperridge. A week ago I saw a suspicious looking vehicle and had my wife to jot down the tag# When they realized what we were doing they sped off. The vehicle # was BM38099 I encourage everyone to be alert always but even more so this time of year. God Bless & Merry Christmas to all......

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 12/18/10 - 01:18 am
Geez... I wonder if his eyes

Geez... I wonder if his eyes are so red from crying???? (please insert sarcasm)

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 12/18/10 - 01:23 am
Dashing thru the hood in a

Dashing thru the hood
in a little black sedan
ima take yo cash
and shoot you if I can

The victim tried to run
I beat him in the head
didn't know the law was there
now a jail cot is my bed

oh... jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way
I'm a lousy crook, so in jail's where I'll stayyyyy.......

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/18/10 - 12:11 pm
I love it Suzy Q!

I love it Suzy Q!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 12/18/10 - 02:04 pm
What a shame! If he was alert

What a shame! If he was alert and healthy looking in the shot, this photo of him would favor actor Omar Epps a bit. And Omar Epps is doing just fine using his intelligence and appearance to thrive in the film and television industries. Different paths because of different choices.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/18/10 - 03:48 pm
suzy q...Now that was cute!

suzy q...Now that was cute!

LBunnies32
LBunnies32 12/20/10 - 07:20 pm
I really dont know what has

I really dont know what has come if South Augusta. I have had this house for 13 years and never any real problems until this year. November 15th we were outside in our front yard. We were jumped by over a dozen young men going after the neighbor - turns out gang related. Never knew before I was repeatedly beaten in the head for standing in my front yard that this crap would happen. I now get to suffer daily with severe neck pain - Thanks! I didnt do a thing to deserve it and the police havent done a thing about it. Shot a rifle and attacked innocent people in their own yard. Gee I thought that was a felony! Black Crown Royal from Fairington Subdivision and a S10 driven by Mr. Perry.

keepingit real
keepingit real 12/23/10 - 10:32 am
FIRST let me start by saying

FIRST let me start by saying yes he was a complete fool. but lets face facts georgia does not offer any jobs for someone with a criminal record unless you are anything but african american. these people still have families that they have to feed. plain and simple. if it's hard for a person who has never been in any trouble to get a job, it's worst for someone who has a record. they want to solve the crime rate create
more jobs. and the comment about the NAACP what do they have to do with a man who was just stupid. The NAACP may not be rallying because the robbers are not targetting them. they are targeting the ones with the money......and the pale complections....NAACP ARE SAFE...HAHAHAHA

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.