Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Richmond County man loses $4,150 to scams

A 52-year-old Royal Street man told authorities he has mailed $4,150 in payments to an address in Jamaica after a caller told him he'd won prizes, according to a sheriff's office report.

Bobby Lyons said a recent caller by the name of Myrie Kedine told him that he had won $1.5 million in the Jamaican lottery but that he needed to send $250 to process the prize.

Lyons mailed the money, then told Richmond County law enforcement about it, acknowledging he'd sent a total of $4,150 to the address over the past two years when promised a car and other cash prizes, the report said.

Martinez
Martinez 12/05/10 - 07:54 pm
Wow - he fell for this... and

Wow - he fell for this... and not just fell for it but clearly multiple times. I think this person needs someone else to take over his finances.

SCY385
SCY385 12/05/10 - 07:56 pm
I get e-mails all the time

I get e-mails all the time from various countries throughout the world telling me that I have 'won' money in their lotteries. The only thing is how in the world did I win a lottery in a country I don't live in and don't know anybody that lives there? If you think about some of this along those lines perhaps it will dawn on one that it is a scam. If you don't live in Jamaica and you don't even know anybody in Jamaica how in the world did you get entered in a lottery there? You didn't. It's a scam. The one thing these people are counting on is the victim's greed and the belief in getting something for nothing. Life does not work that way. People need to be wise and realize that.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 12/05/10 - 09:26 pm
I've lost count of how many

I've lost count of how many millions of dollars I've 'won' and are waiting for me in the UK, Hong Kong, Benin, Nigeria, Austrailia and other international hot spots!
Seriously, how does someone fall for this stuff?

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 12/05/10 - 09:28 pm
"The one thing these people

"The one thing these people are counting on is the victim's greed and the belief in getting something for nothing. Life does not work that way. People need to be wise and realize that." Tell that to all the Obama voters that thought they were getting plenty for "free" when they voted for him two years ago! That will forever be known as the "American scam".

Taylor B
Taylor B 12/05/10 - 09:42 pm
The spelling in those emails

The spelling in those emails are horrible.

getalife
getalife 12/05/10 - 09:51 pm
Also the names are crazy in

Also the names are crazy in those emails. I also have won countless lotteries and have several people trying to give me half of several millions if I will handled the transaction in the USA. God created us all equal, some are just less equal than others.

albertoli
albertoli 12/05/10 - 10:05 pm
jeez

jeez

augdowg
augdowg 12/05/10 - 10:31 pm
humble..they are getting

humble..they are getting something for free....hellooooo

Mac2406
Mac2406 12/05/10 - 10:39 pm
The old saying goes, "if it

The old saying goes, "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is." I would have told them to send me the money first, once the check has cleared, then I would send the $250.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 12/05/10 - 11:10 pm
How could anyone fall for

How could anyone fall for 'winning' a lottery that you'd never even entered, especially one in a foreign country?

RoadKing
RoadKing 12/05/10 - 11:22 pm
really ..... you mean, i'm

really ..... you mean, i'm not getting my million .....

the_source
the_source 12/05/10 - 11:34 pm
Somewhere, Bob Marley's

Somewhere, Bob Marley's relatives are laughing...

Pizzaguy
Pizzaguy 12/06/10 - 12:10 am
Well, my family will be

Well, my family will be having a great Christmas this year because, according to my email inbox, apparently I am the winner of several Walmart $1000 gift cards and Dell computers ust awaiting my approval for shipment......

Dudeness
Dudeness 12/06/10 - 12:37 am
This guy totally deserved

This guy totally deserved being separated from his money. He was obviously not going to use it for anything important.

tnjsw
tnjsw 12/06/10 - 01:06 am
I guess things like this

I guess things like this keeps the scam alive and kicking.

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 12/06/10 - 08:51 am
some posters must love they

some posters must love they report button,thats mostly they way a post gets pulled.

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 12/06/10 - 09:05 am
I once was told that I had

I once was told that I had won 250 million in the Ukranian lottery and if I would send a check for $500 to process shipping the money to me, it would be expedited immediately. I told the caller I was running short on cash, but they could deduct the $500 from my winnings, after all, who could not use 249,999,500.00? I am still waiting for the money to arrive!

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 12/06/10 - 09:10 am
CatFishStew- The Chronicle is

CatFishStew- The Chronicle is very sensitive to those who are not as intelligent as the posters on this site. It's is a good thing they don't pull a post because of spelling.

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 12/06/10 - 09:16 am
Rainbow ...when they start

Rainbow ...when they start charging a subscription fee for digital format
If they (AC) does not get thicker skin,and let people have a harty debate
on here ,I see a big decline in people reading and posting. No one wants to make a valid point and have it pulled because some might think its not
PC. Some things are OK one day and then, Oh thats not nice....Well, I'm done venting. Well maybe not, I think the fee is bad idea, like most on here, but what do we know.Hope you AC folks know where the unemployment office is located..You just might send unemployment to
10%..Have a Nice Day

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 12/06/10 - 09:31 am
tuffenuf4u...no my spelling

tuffenuf4u...no my spelling is not the best...as long as you got the point.

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 12/06/10 - 09:40 am
CatFishStew- I did get the

CatFishStew- I did get the point. I have received several abuse warning emails for the Chronicle along with getting a few posts pulled. I have also made spelling mistakes too. But there are some on here who don't even know how to spell the word spell. Like you said,"A rose by any other name is still a rose"

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 12/06/10 - 09:43 am
AC, would you please go back

AC, would you please go back to the"City has outline for Reorganzing"
posted @2:48 am. Was my post pulled, because the word" T..d" was not capitalized when I posted this AM. Maybe Sean, can Explain it.

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 12/06/10 - 10:03 am
Point well taken. about the

Point well taken. about the rose thing.Well, I was called to the wood shed By Sean...He said that we don't abuse people on here.
I guess that policy started about 10 mins. ago.It's going to be
interesting when they install the PAY TO PLAY fee.

dani
dani 12/06/10 - 10:42 am
I had one today from "Mrs

I had one today from "Mrs Masters" telling me it was time sensitive and to open immediately. My security program throws these straight into
junk" but I love to scan them before I delete.

dani
dani 12/06/10 - 10:45 am
Isn't it great that the man

Isn't it great that the man had that kind of money to throw away, though it does cause you to wonder how he ever accrued it.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 12/06/10 - 10:54 am
Humbleopinion, the way that

Humbleopinion, the way that you stated how Obama got elected is the best I've heard yet. Americans did that in droves, believed that he held the keys to the kingdom, yet he wasn't a king, he wasn't royalty, he had NO KNOWLEDGE about how to even GET the keys to the kingdom, yet he promised "free" health care among other things, the "free" costing us trillions of dollars that we don't have. As P. T. Barnum said, there's one born every day. The man in the story could have bought a car, paid his rent, helped someone in need, done a lot of good with that money over two years. After the FIRST time it would seem that he would realize, like voters have now, that if it's too good to be true, it IS too good to be true.

Cadence
Cadence 12/06/10 - 11:48 am
Wait, you mean all of you are

Wait, you mean all of you are getting the emails, too? But...but...mine said I was chosen specially to help them recover the 10 million from the evil dictator of their country because I am a "gud cristan lady". Does this mean that Microsoft will Not pay me 5 cents for every email I forward to my friends and family? And I won't get a special blessing tomorrow if I forward the Jesus email to 8 people within 10 minutes? Thanks you to the Chronicle for printing crimes like these. There are still people who need to be informed that these are con games.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 12/06/10 - 11:53 am
I made a FG quote which has

I made a FG quote which has been deleted, and I received an abuse warning telling me "Don't insult victims. You can give some criticism here, but we don't allow victims to be insulted."

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 12/06/10 - 12:01 pm
By the way, I received an

By the way, I received an e-mail just this morning from Morgan J. Thomason telling me I have a Bank Draft of $900,000,00 USD and all I have to do is pay the $130 USD FedEx Courier delivery charges.

mable8
mable8 12/06/10 - 12:11 pm
The FBI is very interested in

The FBI is very interested in these scams and they do have a list of the offending individuals. When Mr Lyons never received the car he "won," he should have reported the loss then; unfortunately, he is a rather gullible person because he kept sending them money. I have to agree with the first poster, Mr Lyons may need someone appointed by the court to help manage his money, but that isn't going to happen. Mr Lyons, turn your correspondence and receipts over to the appropriate authorities...the FBI might be able to help you.