Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Children found alone at Augusta residence

An Augusta mother is wanted on a deprivation of minors charge after four children were found alone at her home.

Responding to a tip, a deputy went to the home of Loria Mae Christophe Culver, 28, at 2016 Garr Drive about 3 a.m. Sunday and found the children by themselves, an incident report said.

The children, who told the deputy their mother might be in Atlanta, were 2, 5, 10 and 11 years old.

The Department of Family and Children Services put the children in the care of their grandfather in Washington, Ga., and a warrant was issued for Culver's arrest, the report said.

happychimer
19624
happychimer 12/05/10 - 11:26 pm
This is sad. Those children

This is sad. Those children did not ask to be born. I hope and pray that they remain safe, and that they will be able to cope with what has happened. The mother is not worthy to raise those kids.

starrweaver
starrweaver 12/06/10 - 01:19 am
Why is it so many people have

Why is it so many people have this false idea of what the welfare system is? All the myths about how women have babies just to get more money is a lie. In 1995, a friend of mine was told that to get benefits, she'd have to sign a "family-cap" contract. If she had any more kids, she'd get no money for them. They knew she was pregnant when they made her sign that contract. They claim it's optional, but take away benefits if you don't sign. That friend was also fighting for her disability benefits after an accident that damaged her vision leaving her partially blind. She was on welfare cause she needed retraining before she could get work. Her ex skipped out on her and the kids to run off with a gal ten years younger. He didn't do a thing to support the kids.

I also know there are a lot of people on welfare that would do anything to get off. My friend gets SSI disability now, but the TANIF she gets for her two kids is less than $45/week. Food stamps aren't all that much either, and you can't pay your utilities or other bills with them.

I'm tired of people trashing the people on welfare, trashing the safety net for those in need and "imagining" or making up what they think is true - when being on welfare is just barely being above broke. The system isn't working, because people don't get enough to really live on and they keep cutting training and other benefits that can help them get off the doles and back into the work force.

Maybe people should know more about what's really going on before they condemn something they've no real knowledge about. I admit I see some people who are supposed to be on welfare, driving nice cars and abusing the system. They also have others that are helping them to scam the system. That does not mean to disrespect those who are on hard times who need the help. Don't toss everyone in the same box just cause a few are bad.

starrweaver
starrweaver 12/06/10 - 01:32 am
As to this article, what

As to this article, what isn't said seems to me to be louder than what was said. It doesn't say who the person was that tipped off the police, it didn't say why the kids thought their mother would be in Atlanta.
Do these people know if there might be some suspicious circumstances - the kids might know more, at least the older ones. But they may also be afraid to tell what's really going on.
It didn't say that she was on welfare, so comments stating this is a welfare baby maker mom trying to scam the system has no base of fact since the article gave no such information.
Do the kids go to school? Does the mother have a job? There are more questions raised by this article than answers. They issued an arrest warrant for her due to the abandonment, yet it claims that she's wanted for deprivation of minors. There is a lot more going on here than what's been reported.

Sandpiper
Sandpiper 12/06/10 - 06:11 am
In the real world, bad

In the real world, bad choices lead to bad circumstances. The "welfare" culture produces many "mothers" like this. While this article doesn't mention whether this "mother" is a product of this culture (so politically correct of the paper) it does imply that she is.
The way the welfare system is administered teaches that there is no personal responsibility and no personal accountability. This has gone on for generations and all that these "mothers" and children know is this kind of system. The stigma of the system has been removed and people within and around this culture consider it a "right". It represents the cruelest hoax ever used to destroy a society.
The situation of these "abandoned" children demonstrates one of the many parts of the negative mindset created by the system. So much needs to be done to stop promoting this horrible form of slavery.

Kodos to the tipster in this case.

GNicole
GNicole 12/06/10 - 06:42 am
There is nothing in this

There is nothing in this article that implies that the mother was on welfare. There are wealthy mothers who are bad mothers. There are wealthy women who make stupid decisions. There are wealthy single moms in Augusta. I am not sure why someone would use this article to blame the welfare system. And, soon someone will blame President Obama.

I am very certain that changes need to be made in the welfare system. It is true that there is very little incentive to get off of Welfare and into the work force. However, there are people like myself who used the welfare system as a stepping stone. I hope I never have to use it again, but I am grateful it was there when I needed it.

I never abandoned my children while I was on welfare. Welfare doesn't make you deprive your children. Please stop downing the welfare system until you get more information.

Martinez
Martinez 12/06/10 - 07:36 am
I doubt anyone objects to

I doubt anyone objects to people who truly need temporary (key word) assistance to get back on their feet, whether it be unemployment, welfare etc. But the objection is, if a woman is on welfare - WHY would she get prenant again and add to the mouths they themselves can not already feed? Having a newborn when already struggling will add month if not years to the time it takes to get re-established and that's for someone who is motivated. Problem being, there is a large group that is seemingly content, seemingly unmotivated and seemingly prideless in their willingness to hold out their hand for more.

loony2u
loony2u 12/06/10 - 07:51 am
For people on welfare and SS

For people on welfare and SS disability, there is no "incentive" to get out from under either one. The government provides very little to live on which leaves nothing to buy clothes or anything else a person may need to find a job. As far as a limitation to how much money a person can get when they have more than 2 kids, I think that's great. It at least stops people from having a lot of kids while they are on welfare. Some of the welfare ends when children get old enough to go to school, so some people choose to have more kids to stay on welfare, and that is wrong, too. The government needs to help out the poor and disabled more than they are willing to help now. The government is paying far too much over seas when the money would be more than welcome in our own backyard.

smec29
smec29 12/06/10 - 08:03 am
Where are all the calls to

Where are all the calls to start up a reward to find her? As mentioned last week, the lives of dogs have become more important than the lives of humans.

jones255
jones255 12/06/10 - 08:10 am
May the grandfather slap some

May the grandfather slap some sense into this stupid woman before the police come to take her away. And I will ask the question -- Where's the daddy? Why did the GRANDfather have to come up to the plate? Prayers and blessings on him!

turncoat
turncoat 12/06/10 - 08:19 am
Look at how FAST this

Look at how FAST this discussion went from FOUR KIDS LEFT ALONE to defense and attack of the welfare system! I do not suggest that ALL mothers on welfare are losers who abandon their children, but neither do I believe that every welfare mother is just "looking for temporary assistance. As for the kids...who CARES what reason they were left alone. Fact is, they were ABANDONED, no matter for how long. If a child does not know where it's mother is, then THAT MOTHER is a loser, welfare or not and should not see her children again until she has PROVEN to be worthy of it. Blame any of this on Obama? No way. However, his wife just helped create and pass a bill which could lead to banning, among other things, SCHOOL BAKE SALES. I think a better use of government would have been to focus on people who leave their children alone.

MaineYnky
MaineYnky 12/06/10 - 08:29 am
There are likely difficult

There are likely difficult circumstances in the mother's life. You don't have the whole story and supposing the worst is easy to do. For sure..the kids should not have been left alone, especially a 2 year old..and even if the parent is overwhelmed and not able to afford childcare she should have sought help from Human Services. Easy to get angry, but harder to consider there may be a lot more going on in this young woman's life then you know. Maybe there was no food or no Christmas and she is alone and trying to go out and bring more into the home for her kids. The point is: you all don't know ...so hold off on being harsh!

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 12/06/10 - 09:01 am
jones255, I wondered the same

jones255, I wondered the same thing myself about the father/s of the kids, and why the grandfather had to be called to care for them.

Onethingreal
Onethingreal 12/06/10 - 09:03 am
The only welfare system

The only welfare system involved in this story is the welfare of the children. Theirs was most definitely compromised and someone must be held accountable. Its too soon to say if that's the mother or another; thank God they were found unharmed.

urright
urright 12/06/10 - 09:10 am
Let's do some math

Let's do some math here--she's 28 and the oldest child is 11. That puts her at giving birth at 17 and probably pregnant at 16, 17, 23, and 25. Now divide that by the number of fathers...

dani
dani 12/06/10 - 12:36 pm
Does anyone even know OR CARE

Does anyone even know OR CARE if the mother is okay. Has she been located?
Lots of bad things going on in this town.

As for welfare, I have never known of anyone being turned down. If it stops, they reapply to a person they "bond" with, and go on their , yes, merry way.
Another system that should be checked out (according to those who have applied).

bolluck
bolluck 12/06/10 - 10:21 am
Has anyone considered this

Has anyone considered this woman may have suffered a terrible tragedy. Don't be so quick to judge.

MaineYnky
MaineYnky 12/06/10 - 10:22 am
You people who are making

You people who are making hateful remarks about the number of fathers and assuming she is on welfare are quick to judge. Even if you are right you should be quick to look in your own life and see how you can make a difference in a positive way and not slam people down when they are down. How about an address to donate to the kids? How about a little less putting people down and knowing the whole story before you assume. Right or wrong, being mean isn't the answer.

Cadence
Cadence 12/06/10 - 10:39 am
I'm glad the children are ok

I'm glad the children are ok and there was no fire or predator to harm them. I'm sure the 11 year old has been the "parent" for a while now. Thank you to the person who tipped off the authorities. Now the grandfather will need some support to suddenly have 4 kids to raise. If you know him, please help him out as you can.

kmb413
kmb413 12/06/10 - 10:57 am
In Georgia there is no

In Georgia there is no specific age that a child shouldn't be left home alone. It is recommended that the age be 12, but isn't law. This is as long as the child is responsible enough to take care of things at home.

mable8
mable8 12/06/10 - 11:05 am
Another case of possible

Another case of possible child neglect and more posts that all such individuals are welfare recipients and up to no good. True, the grandfather now has the children, who are fortunately safe and unharmed; however, some posters will scream because he may need "welfare" assistance to take care of the children...face the facts: there are MANY out there, that may include some posters, just a paycheck away from public assistance and foreclosure but still cast the stones of derision at those who are in need or have already fallen on very bad hard times. Just remember: there is NO emergency housing if you lose your home. No one knows what happened to the mother; let's hope that the only thing she did is leave the children unattended and that nothing worse has occurred. Until the facts are in, keep the stones in your pocket.

alycias
alycias 12/06/10 - 11:42 am
I am a previous teacher of

I am a previous teacher of Special Ed children. I have seen so much abuse of the system , it would make your head spin. One of the worst situations I saw ( I was the teacher of one of the children involved) was a family who drove around in 2 Cadillac Escalades ( new models) and I don't believe either parent actually had a paying job. They were somehow allowed to get 3 special needs children to foster which gave them quite a bit of money...but they were gravely abusing the kids. One was being beaten on a regular basis ( That child's teacher and I both had proof of it and reported it to authorities). And his foster sister who was in my class was also being abused, both physically and emotionally, which I also reported). I don't know if anything was ever done about it, cause I left that district right after that happened ( was the end of that school year). But the authorities I told acted very casual about it like they heard these things all the time....though they did try to assure me that it would be "looked into". Hopefully they took the kids away from that couple. The sad thing too is that these kids were wonderful well behaved kids. Why they thought it was necessary to even spank them was beyond me.

airbud7
airbud7 12/06/10 - 11:52 am
Mable8 is Right Until the

Mable8 is Right
Until the facts are in, keep the stones in your pocket!!!☺

urright
urright 12/06/10 - 12:07 pm
Might want to keep your

Might want to keep your sticks in your pants too!
kmb--in Georgia, according to DFCS policy, you should be 13 to babysit--even your own siblings--but it does depend on the maturity level of the babysitter, age of the children, number of kids, etc.

kmb413
kmb413 12/06/10 - 01:36 pm
Is that Ga law? Ga law has

Is that Ga law? Ga law has no age limit. They do have suggested guidelines though.

burninater
burninater 12/06/10 - 01:48 pm
At the risk of sounding like

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, do those of you continuing to perpetuate the "generational welfare" myth realize that there is a 5-year LIFETIME LIMIT on Federal welfare benefits? And that having another child doesn't reset the clock?

Starrweaver's 1:19 post gets it exactly right: "Maybe people should know more about what's really going on before they condemn something they've no real knowledge about."

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 12/06/10 - 03:58 pm
Obviously if this was a story

Obviously if this was a story about a mother leaving the four children alone because she could not afford a babysitter and had no other choice but to go to work, does not any one think the children would be aware of the situation? Wouldn't the grandfather have known also? I think the story is exactly what it infers; she left the children home alone to go have a good time.

bree026
bree026 12/06/10 - 04:25 pm
In response to GNicole...

In response to GNicole... THANK YOU.. I AGREE WITH YOU 1000%..There is nothing in this article that implies that the mother was on welfare.Besides, My mother died 10 yrs. ago.. I was a senior in high school.. I was forced to take care of my two younger sisters.. I used the walfare system for 3 months.. I was working, going to school and taking care of my sisters... God knows, I did the best I could.. I made sure both of my sisters went school everyday ... As years passed, I went back to school (college).. I am now a RN with a BSN, working at MCG Hospital.. I love every min. of it.. I'm back in school working on my Masters... My mother died from kidney failure and heart failure, she was 46 yrs. old.. she always worked.. Yes, my mother did use the walfare for a few months, she didn't have any other choice, due to her illness.. My mother never abandoned her children. She was a good woman...

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 12/06/10 - 07:20 pm
breeo26, I admire your story,

breeo26, I admire your story, but what school did you go to? The reason I ask is the ability to spell is especially important for a nurse, as I do think it is called the "welfare" system, not walfare.

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 12/06/10 - 07:23 pm
Besides, if this mother had

Besides, if this mother had the welfare of her children at heart, wouldn't she apprised someone of the situation. I think the story speaks for itself. I rest my case and will make no further comments.

justmy2cents
justmy2cents 12/06/10 - 07:25 pm
Where did anyone present a

Where did anyone present a single FACT related to this case that involves welfare???

Yes, a mother left her 10 & 11 yr olds to watch their two younger siblings. Allegedly without telling them where she was going or how long. This is a sign of bad parenting; but it is NOT related to finances.

Leaving 2 pre-teens to watch their 2 younger siblings for a set period of time; with a clear knowledge of where you are, and how long you are to be gone, and with a way to contact you (ie cell phone) is COMPLETELY legal in GA! End of discussion.

If you leave and they don't know where you are or when you will be back, then it is POSSIBLY a legal matter; but nowhere in the law does finances come into play. Nor does $$ buy good decision making.