Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta Mall worker reports being conned

An Augusta Mall employee told officers she was tricked into transferring more than $600 to Texas for the hospital bills of a person who injured himself in the Augusta store.

The Lady Foot Locker employee said a woman named Donna Morgan who claimed to be from the Foot Locker corporate office contacted her and said a customer was suing the Augusta store after being injured there, deputies reported.

The employee was told she would lose her job if the store didn't cover the hospital bills. She had been on vacation and was unaware of any injuries, but transferred $612 to Houston via Western Union.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/30/10 - 07:24 am
Does this employee also work

Does this employee also work at the Richmond County Tax Assessor's Office? She gives away money like she does.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/30/10 - 07:26 am
Why is it that people have to

Why is it that people have to call other people stupid.....that just burns me up. Okay so evidently AFTER reading this article, you would have done things differently, and maybe this employee isn't the brightest, but try and put yourself in their shoes and at least see where possibly this employee was taken by surprise, thought the head office was on the phone and was about to loose their job. They made a quick decision before thinking about it (which was the intent) and reflecting back realized it was such a smart move.

Three post, one says the employee should be fired, the second calls the employee a moroon, and the third call the employee stupid. Guess none of the above have done anything they wished they hadn't after the fact.

cristinadh
cristinadh 11/30/10 - 07:46 am
Definitely would have done

Definitely would have done things differently.. but no one knows the circumstances or situation of this employee and she did what she thought was the right thing at that time..

charliemanson
charliemanson 11/30/10 - 08:34 am
That is the reason you refer

That is the reason you refer stuff like that to your manager.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 11/30/10 - 08:35 am
Was this a manager? Would

Was this a manager? Would just any LFL employee have the ability to make that transaction?

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 11/30/10 - 08:43 am
I can't imagine not checking

I can't imagine not checking with a store manager or regional/district manager before releasing $600 of someone else's money. Especially when they ask you to send via Western Union.

Sorry, but she doesn't appear to be the brightest crayon in the box.....

mc66
mc66 11/30/10 - 09:30 am
Most retail stores have an

Most retail stores have an insurance company that handles injury cases that occur in the store. And there is usually a file kept with any injury cases in the manager's office with a case number to refer to when calling the insurance company. The individual store does not handle the claim. And, all insurance claims are investigated. It takes a while to process a claim. How long was she on vacation?

jones255
jones255 11/30/10 - 09:42 am
If there was additional

If there was additional information, I'm guessing that the AC would've posted it. My hunch is that she is a/the manager, since they should be the only ones who could have that kind of access to the money. I probably would have asked for an email to document the transfer. I bet there will be new rules in place @ Lady Foot Locker. Tough thing to have to admit.

justfred
justfred 11/30/10 - 10:02 am
Any chance you could provide

Any chance you could provide her name, number and send me a quarter?

pommom38
pommom38 11/30/10 - 10:04 am
Regardless if she is a

Regardless if she is a manager or not, it is common sense!! There are avenues to go through before giving any money away.
Yes, she needs to either pay that money back asap or lose her job.
Stupid mistakes like that, cost the consumer in the long run.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/30/10 - 12:02 pm
I had a situation like this

I had a situation like this happen to me when I managed a store. I asked the caller for my store number and the employee's clock number and they hung up.

bettyboop
bettyboop 11/30/10 - 01:47 pm
Come on now....who would fall

Come on now....who would fall for that??

jkhndz79
jkhndz79 11/30/10 - 04:28 pm
I have read reports of

I have read reports of "scams" such as these happening with the employee being "in on it"... This is not new to me, and I am shocked that there arent POLICIES in place detailing how to handle these kind of scenarios.

55 F-100
55 F-100 11/30/10 - 05:11 pm
P. T. Barnum had a quote for

P. T. Barnum had a quote for a situation such as this.

mda0205
mda0205 12/01/10 - 01:06 am
Why wouldn't she have thought

Why wouldn't she have thought it was a scam? It's the season and even so, wouldn't another employ have told her that an accident had happened when she got back from vacation? And if someone called me I know the first thing would be to get a name and number and call it back or either call the district manager to see if the it matched up. But I know I WOULD NOT ever send money. And why would they be dealing with her and not someone higher? She doesn't need to be working there if she can't handle the pressure of a "phone call" She had plenty of time to think this through and make a few phone calls to verify while she took the money out, got a city code, name and phone number and THEN went to a western union and filled the paperwork out and gave the money away. What was she thinking then? How about,"Hey maybe I should ask someone if this is right or ask someone in the store what happened while she was gone. HMMMMM??? I think she just got some nice christmas gifts......