Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Recent killings in Lincoln, McDuffie counties hit home

Residents blame societal changes

THOMSON --- After almost a year with no homicides, McDuffie County has had three this month, two of them young people, while neighboring Lincoln County was the scene of a murder-suicide Monday, and most residents don't think they're coincidental.

Back | Next
Thomson residents have been left feeling uneasy and looking for answers after three McDuffie County homicides this month.   Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff

Kay Kendrick, the owner of Cut & Style hair salon, said she thinks people don't value human life anymore.

"And I think you've got a generation of kids that have grown up and ... that sat in front of a computer and killed something, constantly, repetitively, killing something to the point they're desensitized," she said.

She said putting prayer and discipline back into school are important factors in decreasing violence and disorder.

"I think we've allowed a small number of people who didn't believe in prayer and didn't believe in discipline and didn't want somebody else to be the disciplinarian for their children to make the rules," she said. "We just all need to stick together and say, 'We want to change this.' "

Katlyn Hagan, 23, a cosmetology apprentice at Cut & Style, agreed.

"It wasn't this bad in Thomson when I was growing up," she said. "The murders in Thomson are really bad. Kids need to be more supervised. They need to be at home at certain times. The state curfew needs to be enforced a lot more."

On Nov. 6, Ron Barnett, 26, was found dead beside a road near Dearing. Cedric "Scooter" Hobbs Jr., 29, has been linked to the homicide and is being held in Fayetteville, N.C., in connection with another death.

On Friday, the body of Shakira Hudson, a freshman at Thomson High School, was found outside her home at Washington Place Apartments. Police arrested and charged Terry Johnson Jr., 17, of Thomson, on suspicion of malice murder.

On Monday, in Lincoln County, the bodies of Chris Holloway, 53, and his wife, Pamela, 37, were discovered at their home shortly after 8 a.m.

Authorities said the deaths are the result of a domestic dispute that ended when Chris Holloway shot his wife before turning the gun on himself.

About two months ago in Lincolnton, Debbie Reed was charged with shooting her husband, Kenneth, Lincolnton resident Wanda Cawthon said:

"This lady and her husband that were killed Monday -- they lived about a mile from Debbie and Ken Reed. It's been very quiet -- hushed up -- so we don't know what provoked it. But it's a shock because they are good people."

Besides a lack of prayer and morality lessons in school, illegal drugs are to blame, she said.

"Children are taking drugs, and they're not in their right mind, and they'll do anything to get money to buy drugs, and it's just a vicious cycle," she said.

Pate Morris, a 79-year-old bluegrass fiddle player, was found dead in his driveway at White Oak Campground Road on Nov. 16. Police have arrested a relative, Gregory Morris of Maxeys, Ga., and charged him with malice murder.

Kelly Ware, who owns Michael's Restaurant in Thomson with his wife, Ann, said his Sunday school class discussed the Morrises.

"I don't know how they could have that kind of misunderstanding," he said. "Money wasn't a problem. That is really puzzling. Somebody that age got killed. He wasn't bothering anybody. He wasn't aggressive. I'm really confused."

Break-ins in Thomson have made senior citizens and people who live alone afraid, he said, adding that his restaurant is broken into two or three times a year.

Leon Buffington, a co-owner of Raysville Marina, has lived in Thomson for more than 50 years and said there's "quite a difference" between then and now.

"Emergencies going on now that didn't use to happen many years ago," he said. "And, of course, law enforcement's hands are tied, causing a lot of the problems now. There's a lot of changes in Thomson the last 50-something years."

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/24/10 - 06:44 am
A 23 year old talks about

A 23 year old talks about when she was "growing up".... funny.

This is NOT about video games or prayer in schools., this is about parenting skills, or a lack thereof

Brad

Truth Be Told In Bold
Truth Be Told In Bold 11/24/10 - 07:06 am
I believe it is about those

I believe it is about those convicted of murder serving life in prison. Parents being parents instead of relying on church and schools to discipline children is also critical! Our community grieves, and I grieve. May God bless all!

Truth Be Told In Bold
Truth Be Told In Bold 11/24/10 - 07:45 am
Thomson-McDuffie is having

Thomson-McDuffie is having its "Festival Off Main," Dec. 2-5. Downtown Thomson will be home to many festivites, especially Saturday. Dec. 4, and Sunday, Dec. 5. I sure hope The Chronicle and Augusta media will zoom to McDuffie County as readily for good news the same way they flock to our community for bad news.

airbud7
airbud7 11/24/10 - 08:14 am
That means she must have been

That means she must have been around 13 at the Turn of the century.

ldsmith1
ldsmith1 11/24/10 - 09:29 am
What's so funny, Brad? At

What's so funny, Brad? At 23, I was grown and married. That was almost, not quite, 23 years ago. Much has changed in that period of time.

Parenting "skills' are a buzzword for what really is the love, wisdom, courage and unselfishness needed to be a solid parent. The ultimate source of all these characteristics is God, Himself.

The breakdown of the family unit is where many of society's ills can be traced. Politicians who promote programs that encourage multiple births to unwed parents play no small role in that problem.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 11/24/10 - 09:39 am
This CAN'T be about the

This CAN'T be about the devaluing of life taught by Rov v Wade and it CAN'T be about the lack of morality taught by the endless assault on Christianity and it CAN'T be about the lack of personal responsibility and personal accountability taught by our federal subsidy system and it CAN'T be about the death of the American dream taught by the denial of American exceptionalism and it CAN'T be the loss of hope we're threatened with every day we face a lifetime of socialism ... this whole situation has to be the result of poor parenting.

Of course, if you take away a respect for life, morality, personal responsibility and accountability, self confidence and hope, raising children with any sort of social graces is VERY difficult. How many are up to the task?

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/24/10 - 01:17 pm
Johnston I'm tired of people

Johnston I'm tired of people like you who think that just because Christianity isn't as prevalent and just because people aren't going to church on a regular basis are the cause of all of this. It doesn't take a book...a book written by MAN by the way of some great STORIES...to keep most people moral. Most people know it's wrong to kill, steal, rape, etc. Yet they do it anyways. There were plenty of criminals in Biblical times. I'm not religious. I'm happily agnostic(though I may as well say atheist and get it over with) and I don't need and never have needed an invisible man in the sky to tell me right from wrong. What's really the problem is teenagers having babies and not raising them right. Raising them with little to no responsibility. Shows like "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom" glorify it. Until was stop something about babies having babies and until parents learn how to be PARENTS and say NO and discipline their children it will continue to get worse...religion or no religion. Parents don't expect your child's teacher to raise them. Don't expect the TV to raise them. BE PARENTS! And all you Bible thumpers get off that "religion has taken a back burner to life here and that's why the world sucks" bandwagon. Maybe some people are just finally seeing how stupid and illogical religion really is when you look at it. We are at war now because of religion. Religion has done nothing but cause death and murder in history. Look it up. Look at how many Indians were slaughtered because they wouldn't convert to Christianity? Look the the crusades. Look at what we are fighting the middle east. Look at all the religious nuts here like Fred Phelps and his screwed up family. You think anyone wants to follow people whose only predisposition is to preach hate and not love? I've read the Bible and I know Jesus Christ is weeping for his so-called "followers"

Also on the abortion issue....

Yesterday I read an article about a man who wants to ban circumcision for babies and wishes HE could've made the CHOICE about whether his foreskin was cut off or not. All I have to say is if men want a choice over what happens to their reproductive organs that is great and I will not step in and protest it. However if you want YOUR CHOICE females deserve theirs too. You will never have a uterus and you will never have to carry a child so to me your opinion is mute. No male should have any right to tell any female what she can and cannot do with her own body. Just like no female should have the right to tell a male what he can and cannot do with his body.

I'm Pro-Choice, not because of any particular secular or liberal association, but because I treasure the freedoms our country gives us.

The underlying truth is, as a society, we will never agree on when Life starts. As a result, we can only espouse our personal beliefs. My I Amendment right tells me that the U.S. government can make NO law respecting an establishment of religion. Religion is a system of human thought gained through reference to a higher power or ultimate truth. We can have no ultimate truth on when life begins inside the womb, and consequently, the government cannot tell me when that is. It is my choice to decide.

Just as congress cannot make a law enforcing religion, it cannot prohibit the free exercise thereof. This amendment is the perfect cohesion of CHOICE. Those who believe life begins at conception are entitled to act in accordance. They make their own decisions about their own bodies.

What is most important, our I Amendment grants us the right to believe as such, the IX Amendment protects that right, "the enumeration of the constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." I believe it is not my place to refuse another American citizen their choice as granted and protected by the U.S. Constitution. How is telling someone they must adhere to a certain belief any different than Communism or a Cult? We base our country on freedom to choose and believe, as such, the opinion on Life in the womb is no different. If I do not believe it is a Life until birth, then I should be able to take action as such. The Constitution tells me that you cannot enact law or interpret as such to tell me otherwise. Those that believe it is a Life at conception are not harmed by my decisions and are still capable of believing as they like. I do not disparage their beliefs, they can have all the children they want. If they insist on telling me that it is an intrusion on their belief because God says it is a Life and they must protect every human life, I can only say, God will not send you to hell because you were unable to protect against an abortion. I've read the Bible many times, and as far as I can tell, if you live a good life (even a bad one if you repent), you have nothing to worry about. Doesn't Revelations tell us The Rapture will leave behind all those that don't believe? If anything, these people should rejoice that people are losing their spot in heaven (I jest).

I find most frustrating that Pro Lifers associate with a political party that stems away from the welfare state. It is the biggest oxymoron that ever existed. How can one tell someone that they MUST have a child, whether they can care for it or not, and simultaneously support politicians who advocate for the eradication of programs to help these women. Where are these unwanted children suppose to go? What are they suppose to eat? Are all you Pro Lifers going to safely house, feed, and educate them? We can barely take care of the wanted children in the world. We cannot stop pedophilia, sex trafficking, drug addiction, abuse, war, poverty, greenhouse gases... and the list goes on. But we can do one thing, bring children into loving and stable homes, on our own time. Our Constitution, working towards a more perfect Union, promotes the general welfare. By banning abortion, you are promoting a host of unwanted children, pushing those who are down further down, and abolish our rights. That does not seem to be working towards a more perfect Union.

Furthermore, all this phooey that the founding fathers believed in a Christian nation is clearly being proclaimed by a large group of ill-informed, and apparently illiterate, group of people. Anyone who reads the writings of Jefferson, Adams, Madison, etc. would be fully aware that they all strongly believed in the SEPARATION of Church and State and that religion should not be involved in the undertakings of government. Additionally, Jefferson fervently believed that the federal government should be barely involved and the states’ rights should be priority, so all these federal undertakings of Pro Life are especially going against the beliefs of the founding fathers.

We should be Pro-Choice because it is American!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/24/10 - 01:59 pm
ldsmith1, You may have been

ldsmith1,

You may have been "grown" and an adult, but you didn't know anything at 23 compared to what you know now at 46 I would bet.

The youth know nothing and don't know they know nothing because they are young.

I admit that I THOUGHT I knew someting when I was young (and I still am young at 39) and I know that I have learned that the older I get the more I see what I did not know, so I can only assume that with age comes MORE knowledge and wisdom. So I look forward to becoming less dumb and more knowing as my life goes on.

You cannot say that you have not learned MORE since you were 23 or that you are the same person you WERE then. Or can you? If you can, that speaks volumes about you. You were either born a genius or...well, I will leave the other side of that coin for you to figure out.

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/24/10 - 02:23 pm
Just because someone is

Just because someone is young(23) doesn't mean that they know nothing or that their opinions aren't as valid as the 60 year old down the street. I hate that "Your young...you don't get it...your opinion doesn't matter" mentality. At 18 we all get the right to vote so at 23 your opinion matters just as much as the 60 year old guy at the poll with you. Only difference is the age generation. That's all. There are plenty of smart teenagers and 20 year olds out there. Stop lumping them all into the "they're young and stupid and what they think on issues doesn't matter because they haven't reached the age of 40 yet" mentality.

dougk
dougk 11/24/10 - 02:24 pm
well done, Farnsworth, on

well done, Farnsworth, on both posts.

dougk
dougk 11/24/10 - 02:27 pm
There are ways to gain wisdom

There are ways to gain wisdom and knowledge other than through the aging process, Brad O. And, certainly, the aging process does not guarantee it.....there are plenty of senior citizen examples.

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/24/10 - 03:41 pm
I think that a break down in

I think that a break down in family values has alot to do with alot of crimes being committed. Getting away from and out of the church is something that has changed over the years, when I was growing up (I am 50 now) everyone I knew went to church every Sunday, it was a part of life and honestly since people don't go to church much anymore and since parents can't seem to be allowed to discipline there children a break down has occured. You have way more singles mothers and missing dads, I am sure that has something to do with the breakdown also. But it all comes down to the fact that we can't blame any one thing on it, we have just become a moraless world in general, our children idolize the wrong people, they think that movie stars who get divorced and cheat on their spoused are cool, they think that gangsters on TV are cool and what has happened is a warped since of what is important and what they put value on.

ldsmith1
ldsmith1 11/24/10 - 03:46 pm
Brad... As I said, I am not

Brad... As I said, I am not quite 46, thank you. Life itself is a growing and learning process, but, at 23, I was done with childhood and quite capable of retrospect on how things had changed.

DRRush
DRRush 11/24/10 - 03:49 pm
So Brad, now you know it all

So Brad, now you know it all at 39......funny.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/24/10 - 03:58 pm
The American formulae is not

The American formulae is not working too good! And much has contributed to our problem. The break down of the family unit, parents too busy and overworked to supervise their children, children raised in daycare centers and next by school teachers, increasing poverty, the work ethic has waned, our jobs have gone abroad to profit capitalist, and a society awash in guns and violent entertainment.

That's the bed we're made for ourselves and we'll have to going forward. But some things are not likely to happen. People are no going to fill the churches nor will prayer return to the schools.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/24/10 - 04:15 pm
A suggestion for improvement.

A suggestion for improvement. Start with public employment and move on to private employment later. Set a job qualification for males age 23 and older. You must be legally married, living with same and children, yours or anybody else's children. A humble first step but it's a beginning to restoring the family. Job qualifications for working women can come later.

gustagirl
gustagirl 11/24/10 - 04:59 pm
Age is but a number, we never

Age is but a number, we never know everything because the world is always changing. To know a 23 does not mean you are a genius, at 73 you've still got as lot to learn. We must pray for our country as well as other countries. We go out and vote, do we pray for those people we put in office and ask God to lead them? The learning process never stops and we as a people must look for ways to combat the problem and stop bashing one another. My daily prayer is that I can contribute something positive to my community. Remember, age does not signify maturity just as having a baby does not make one a parent.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/24/10 - 05:14 pm
Farnsworth, sorry, you don't

Farnsworth, sorry, you don't have the freedom to murder a baby. Just because the law says you can doesn't make it right. As you said, you don't have to be of a particular religion to know what is right or wrong. And to murder a baby just because you don't THINK at that time you can provide for that baby, isn't right either. There are plenty of people that are pro-life that are providing for ADOPTED children, so that lame argument you gave doesn't wash either. But all this has been said before. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Calling a baby a fetus doesn't take away its right to live. If you call a rose a weed and kill it, isn't it still really a rose? It makes me wonder why our society treats babies like weeds. Unfortunately, the law at this time allows certain doctors to murder babies. As long as this attitude prevails, it is no wonder that there is a culture of death and a lack of respect for life.

mable8
mable8 11/24/10 - 05:38 pm
AutumnLeaves: Until you are

AutumnLeaves: Until you are faced with a decision as to whether or not you will carry an unwanted child to term, you really should show some compassion to those who have been in that situation. This holier-than-thou christian attitude actually makes a mockery of what God intended his flock to believe and participate in. No one knows what God thought about such topics, so why speculate? And, by the way, people who claim 'never' usually do get confronted with that same or similar situation later and the 'never' occurs.

As for the murders, it is true that there has been a devaluation of life through the accepting of the distorted values that promote it. Life is not valued in Asia or the Mid-East; it has now affected the US and other European countries. The only way to return to former family values is to relearn how to be a family. This means: setting a table with a place for all household members (and guests); conversing instead of fighting; making jobs take second place to family; prayer if that is the familial forte--it isn't for everyone, but God knows where the heart is; loving unconditionally---no strings attached. There are, of course, many other things a family can do to restore itself; but who is willing to do so?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 11/24/10 - 08:49 pm
LOL Farnsworth, didn't your

LOL Farnsworth, didn't your 12:17 post say the same thing my 9:39 said? Of course, I used about 6,000 less words and wrote with satire. You made a huge number of false assumptions, assigned them to your perceived enemy, and then attacked them as though they weren't your misconceptions. Strange.
I think our posts represent the difference between conservatism and liberalism. You see, conservatives feel that honor and honesty and a moral code that respects respect is a good foundation.
Thank you for your support.

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/24/10 - 08:48 pm
Pro-life means being for life

Pro-life means being for life -- existing life -- not potential life such as fetuses. Pro-life means women getting abortions for whatever reasons they have -- in the interests of THEIR lives.

Pro-life means CHOICE.

JC apparently you cannot read well because we did not say the same thing at all.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 11/24/10 - 09:04 pm
I read quite well,

I read quite well, Farnsworth. It's my perspective that you don't seem to understand very well.
I'm aware of the necessary foundation for a successful society. You seem to find all things equal ... no absolutes.
I write with satire,
you write with passionate unrest.
We say the same thing, but with different meanings.

cricketflea
cricketflea 11/24/10 - 09:30 pm
Farnsworth, FINALLY, someone

Farnsworth, FINALLY, someone makes a post here that makes perfect sence! You were able (in your 12:17 post) to put into words all the things that have been rattling around in my brain about the abortion issue, the Bible thumpers, and our founding fathers. THANK YOU~~ THANK YOU~~ THANK YOU !!

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/24/10 - 11:20 pm

gijoe7898
gijoe7898 11/25/10 - 04:32 am
the question raised about why

the question raised about why these murders were committed drew alot of responses. farnsworth, you epitomize what is wrong with our contemporary society. Rather than civily discuss your disgreement, you blast, tar and feather someone's religious and moral beliefs.

it's fine to disagree. but you had to go the extra mile and smear, libel and denigrate to make your point.

maybe that's part of our problem today. people do not know how to express a point of view without dragging the opposing view thru the mud. with some people, this will provoke and undesirable physical confrontation.

have we lost the art of conversation?

gijoe7898
gijoe7898 11/25/10 - 04:43 am
"Abortion on demand now takes

"Abortion on demand now takes the lives of up to one and a half million unborn children a year. Human life legislation ending this tragedy will someday pass the Congress, and you and I must never rest until it does. " Ronald Reagan

"With regard to the freedom of the individual for choice with regard to abortion, there's one individual who's not being considered at all. That's the one who is being aborted. And I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born." Ronald Reagan

Obama supported a law in Illinois as a state senator to deny medical care to aborted fetuses who survived the abortion. This, we will change.

America is a compassionate nation. Those babies will be cared for. Drop that excuse. And a woman's discomfort for those few months is nothing compared to the life that that child can have, the dreams he/she can realize, the happiness that they can experience.

I have 6 kids. Another was lost to miscarriage. I still wonder what that child would have been, what he/she could have achieved, how many more smiles I could have had.

Life is precious. If you create it, take responsibility for it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/25/10 - 10:26 am
mable8, I believe that

mable8, I believe that AutumnLeaves 4:14pm post was truthful and in no way holier-than-thou. Just because you don't agree, doesn't make it not accurate. What makes a mockery of God, is individuals who evidently do not know God or what the biblical truth is about abortion, trying to tell those who try and follow His Word, that we are wrong.

You may not know what God's thoughts are on the subject, but I know my Savior, I've read and studied His Word, and speak with Him daily, so don't say that no one knows what He thinks. Try asking Him sometime and listening for His answer....it works.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/25/10 - 10:38 am
If the Bible says God knows

If the Bible says God knows us before we are even born, He knits us together in our mother's womb, and He loves us.......how in the world can you reason that God isn't against abortion.

The issue here is people do not believe in God, they do not believe in the Holy Word, so thereforth they can justify taking a life.

There will always be this war between the spiritual realm and this earth....a battle between good and evil....until Christ returns. We who are born of the spirit will always clash with those who still walk in darkness. Only the Holy Spirit can change a heart

Farnsworth posted "I'm tired of people like you who think that just because Christianity isn't as prevalent and just because people aren't going to church on a regular basis are the cause of all of this" Yeah and I'm tired of people like you who think that Almighty God is some invisible man and that His Holy Word is just some book...but hey we all live here on earth together and tolerate each other as much as possible....deal with it.

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/25/10 - 01:05 pm
ICL and all the other Bible

ICL and all the other Bible thumpers,

It's not your personal beliefs that are under attack, it's how your choosing to exercise them that is the problem!!!

You have every right to practice your religion in any way that you see fit, however when it is infringing up on other people's lives in the form of discrimination, denying equal rights under the law, insisting that people believe in and follow YOUR religion that's a problem!!!

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/25/10 - 01:08 pm
gjjoe wrote: When that

gjjoe wrote: When that fetus is aborted within the time it could live outside the womb, it's murder. Anything before that time will be debated to stalemate.

Life is precious. If you create it, take responsibility for it.

----------

Pro-life means being for life -- EXISTING LIFE -- not potential life such as fetuses. Pro-life means women getting abortions for whatever reasons they have -- in the interests of THEIR lives.

Pro-life means CHOICE.

Plane crashes on Ga. man walking Fla. beach

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Sometime Sunday morning, Ommy Irizarry posted a message on Facebook to mark his ninth wedding anniversary. Within hours he was dead.