Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man carjacked at Augusta Mall

A man loading his 2-year-old into a car Monday evening was carjacked in the Augusta Mall parking lot, a Richmond County Sheriff's Office report shows.

The man told a deputy that the carjacker approached him about 7 p.m. holding a gas can and asked for gas money. The father said he didn't have any cash, and the robber replied that he should "give him everything he had and to get into the car," a report states.

The father instead took the toddler out of the car and let the robber take the Cadillac CTS. The car was found later that night after two motorists on Interstate 520 noticed a fire at Bayvale Park in the 3400 block of Milledgeville Road. Deputies say the car had been set on fire and was a total loss.

The robber was described as black with a light
complexion, between 30 and 40 years old, about 6 feet tall, weighing 200 pounds. He was wearing a red-
hooded jacket or shirt, dark-colored pants and a black stocking cap.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/23/10 - 11:30 pm
Doesn't sound questionable to

Doesn't sound questionable to me fred1. Sounds like exactly what I would expect in the Augusta Mall parking lot at 7:00 pm. It's already dark by then, I took my daughter there yesterday around 2:00, bought what we went for, looked over my shoulder the whole time and left. I wouldn't go there after dark if they offered me a $10,000.00 free shopping spree. Actually if I didn't have a teenager, they wouldn't get me to that place with a gun to my head. I watched the crowd there and couldn't wait to leave, reminds me of Regency Mall near the end.

Batman
Batman 11/23/10 - 11:33 pm
I'm happy the man and his

I'm happy the man and his daughter are both okay. The car can be replaced. Sadly our community suffers yet again. Society must demand harsh treatment of it's criminals. Remember... all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Society is certain to suffer even greater harm until it refuses to tolerate a justice system that sympathies with the criminals.

bclicious
bclicious 11/23/10 - 11:35 pm
This is not consistent with

This is not consistent with criminals in Georgia. I have been working in law enforcement for over 15 years, and this likely to be an inside deal.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/24/10 - 12:13 am
Batman, I agree with you in

Batman, I agree with you in theory, but when I was at Augusta Mall yesterday, three "guys" were walking abreast, spread out, three of them taking up about 20 feet of walking space, striding along. The offensive way they were walking allowed no one to pass, slip between them, etc., so they "controlled" the foot traffic flow, you couldn't pass them, couldn't squeeze between them, it was an obvious thing. Being a female, I'm just not interested in dealing with it. If some "good men" want to go out there and address it, fine, but for me, I look at it as there's nothing out there that I need or want that much, so I avoid the Augusta Mall for the most part.

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 11/23/10 - 11:47 pm
I am so tired of the crime in

I am so tired of the crime in Augusta.... does not matter where you are.... you can be a victim. I hope the next guy this loser tries to carjack.... reaches under his coat and pulls out his licensed pistol.... and blows him away.

mable8
mable8 11/23/10 - 11:53 pm
Batman: "Society must demand

Batman: "Society must demand harsh treatment of it's criminals." We already have the harsh laws on the books and they don't work. If they did, there would be fewer crimes. It all goes back to the family; teach the children acceptable behavior and that there are consequences when they don't is a starter. Begin building good character at an early age and have educators continue character building in the classrooms is yet another phase. Unfortunately, people do not seem interested in such things; some folks don't even know what constitutes good character, let alone strong work ethics. It is even more unfortunate that some dolts believe that they own everything around them, including your personal possessions. Forget about effective communication because their idea of resolving a problem is to do physical harm to those they perceive as 'dissing' them.

ebs421
ebs421 11/23/10 - 11:54 pm
Electric Chair..Live on

Electric Chair..Live on tv..this mess will soon stop

JM88
JM88 11/24/10 - 12:17 am
The mall has decent security,

The mall has decent security, but there needs to be more of it. The crime that used to be for the most part confined to Regency Mall has made its way to the Augusta Mall. I still feel relatively safe there, but the clientele has gotten a little bit unseemly.

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 11/24/10 - 12:29 am
EBS421...if it was pay for

EBS421...if it was pay for view it would be a sellout.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/24/10 - 12:31 am
JM88 The mall probably has

JM88 The mall probably has okay security, I don't blame General Growth Properties/Augusta Mall for all of the problems. They have re-decorated, added on, etc. I just think that the problems that Regency Mall had with it's location, etc, have moved to the Augusta Mall area. I don't really know that anything or anyone can correct it. If you read about Regency Mall's demise: www.deadmalls.com/malls/regency_mall.html
you will see that it came down to demographics and the correlating crime rates. It just seems that the Wrightsboro Rd. area has run down significantly in recent years.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 11/24/10 - 12:47 am
Did the robber have anything

Did the robber have anything in his hands other than a gas can? Maybe something was left out of the story?

I agree with the other posters regarding Augusta Mall. People being robbed there every holiday season is ridiculous. The parking lot should be crawling with security and cameras placed so that no parking area is out of view.

kelnbri2003
kelnbri2003 11/24/10 - 01:24 am
JM88, I would have to

JM88, I would have to disagree with you about the mall security. A couple of years ago, I was parked right out in front of JCP and my car got keyed. Security did ABSOLUTELY nothing for me. And then to find out the cameras on the building don't rove very often. What good is a camera that stays in one position. On of JCP's security personnel told me that happened to him as well. I also had to wait for well over an hour for RCSO. I am so disgusted with this town. It is getting worse by the day. It almost seems there is no where safe to go.

soldout
soldout 11/24/10 - 01:41 am
You either double security or

You either double security or you get Regency Mall again. I would also bait the crooks into crimes. We teach kids that they are animals and are surprised when they act like it. Preachers encourage folks to vote for leaders who think killing babies is fine and wonder what has happened to morals. The crop was sowed and now it is being reaped. Change the sowing and you will get a different crop.

dickworth1
dickworth1 11/24/10 - 04:39 am
Dead in the parking lot with

Dead in the parking lot with pictures in thew paper may bring attention to these thugs! I think I the mall should put undercover security in the parking lot.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 11/24/10 - 05:54 am
I think we should also start

I think we should also start looking out for one another! I'm quite sure there was someone else out in the parking lot that saw this man with a gas can, wandering around, and then coming up to this man and his baby. Just about everyone has a cellphone and that can be used to call the police if you don't want to get involved yourself. And this is true INSIDE the mall as well. Thugs are basically cowards, because they do not want to be singled out and identified. As far as walking in the mall with punks taking up the walkway..I have walked right through them because it is quite obvious they are just trying to intimidate people and they have no right to take up that space. If you walk with confidence, they won't bother you. If you stop and stand in such a way that they see you notice them with other people, then you are a "witness" to them, and they will move on. Sorry this is so long, but I just hate punks. I and wanted to comment. Please help each other out and be vocal or at least be seen.

ebs421
ebs421 11/24/10 - 06:57 am
Great idea! They will just go

Great idea! They will just go somewhere else. Its not the security,its a group of kids that hasnt beeen raised properly.It might sound crazy ,but the electric chair live on tv will be just a few ways to put a stop to theses kids.Home wont change...Wont go to school..so the teachers cant help..good thing.. they will only become a distraction for the ones who wanna be there.The courts lock em up and let them go,and then another innocent life has been taken.We will lose less lives by frying than watching innocent people dying. Then the rest will see that we mean business!

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 11/24/10 - 07:41 am
Smart daddy. Exactly, give

Smart daddy. Exactly, give them the dang car...get your child out. Don't let anyone make you believe different. You did the right thing. You can get another car. Protect the things we can't replace. Another reason to be "thankful"?

BornInAUG
BornInAUG 11/24/10 - 07:44 am
I think we should put bait

I think we should put bait cars and undercover operations to hinder this behavior. The problem with cameras is that the crook can cover up their face. Look at all the bank robbers that get away and they have tons of footage of them. Bait cars and undercover stings will definitely catch some crooks and deter many.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 11/24/10 - 08:04 am
Perhaps it's time for a mall

Perhaps it's time for a mall in Columbia County

HenryLee
HenryLee 11/24/10 - 08:33 am
I stopped going to the

I stopped going to the Augusta Mall in the evening years ago, and only go during the day if I must. I park near the store I wish to visit and do not go into the general area because of the pants-dragging thugs who dare you to try to get past them. Pushing through them is not worth getting elbowed or stabbed trying to get past them. If Augusta Mall wants to survive they must make people feel safe. Security should stop people from walking more than two abreast. If they get mad and leave, good.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/24/10 - 08:52 am
You can't have a safe, decent

You can't have a safe, decent mall in our area due to demographics. But it isn't just the mall now. You are taking your life in your hands in all store parking lots, convenience stores, and even at the gas pumps. I was approached by one of the "hey buddy I'm out of gas and need a few dollars so I get to Aiken" guys at the pumps at Enmark the other day. I told him "no" and to keep his distance as I let the handle of my .45 show from under my jacket. I am so tired of these punks and I am not taking it anymore.

Indigo
Indigo 11/24/10 - 08:57 am
Its called RIDE-SHARE in

Its called RIDE-SHARE in south Augusta.

Southern_Patriot
Southern_Patriot 11/24/10 - 09:09 am
The mall is consumed by

The mall is consumed by parasites

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 11/24/10 - 09:15 am
dear dichotomy...keep your

dear dichotomy...keep your powder dry and i hope that your aim be true, that way you can spare the decent citizens of all colors the cost of a trial.....

pommom38
pommom38 11/24/10 - 09:28 am
Right on Batman!! Um, Mable?

Right on Batman!!
Um, Mable? "We already have the harsh laws on the books and they don't work."
And WHY don't they work?? Because the system is a freakin joke!! Hence why Batmans comment makes all the sense in the world! Society needs to demand the bleeding hearts cease their ridiculous views, and lay that hammer down..

I go to the mall for food. That's it.. I can't stand dealing with or watching all the *thugs*, and people who clearly need some fashion training.
Run in, grab that cinnabun or huge cookie, and run out.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/24/10 - 09:29 am
Beef up the security

Beef up the security guys.....another Regency coming down heh?

My daughters worked at Regency Mall...I know how bad it was......thugs took over the mall...tell like it is & stopped sugar coating the problem.....I don't care where you build it...a few thugs can ruin things.

Amazing isn't it....if some had to WORK FOR FOOD maybe they wouldn't have time to scan the malls.....that goes for the parents & their offspring.

cottoncandy16
cottoncandy16 11/24/10 - 09:31 am
fred1, why does this sound

fred1, why does this sound questionable to you? This was a 44 yr old white male and his 2 year old daughter. Does it sound more believable now to you? I know you was thinking Cadillac, 2 year old, probably a 20 something black male. WELL it wasn't! The way the crime is in Augusta now, nothing should surprise you. Glad he didn't get in that car and thought about his daughter instead. Because if she would not have been there he probably would have fought for the car....

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/24/10 - 09:42 am
A mall in CC will be the

A mall in CC will be the same, crime is not just in one area. If you build it the criminals will come, they can care less if it is CC or RC. I don't like going to the mall for some of the reasons that people have stated here and I usually avoid it. It's a shame but people who acutally need to shop there or want to chop there can't because of the hoodlums who just go there to hang out. Dichotomy, I feel the same...Henry, it isn't just the guys in the mall, it is females also, they walk in groups take up all the walking space and then bug eye you if you look like you need to get past. It is just rudeness in general, no up bringing at all and once again an entitlement mentality....Just my Opinion, it would be nice if we all looked after each other but most of the time people just don't want to get involved or they are affraid to. Criminals know that...

freeradical
freeradical 11/24/10 - 09:46 am
I'm sure that he needed the

I'm sure that he needed the transportation to get to work at one of the

three jobs he is working in order to support a wife he is legally married

to, and the brood of offspring he has legally sired.

Thereby relieving hard working taxpayers from any responsibility

of providing food, shelter, healthcare, unleaded gas, cable tv, frozen

turkeys, for the entire collection.

This man deserves a helping hand.

Dixieman
Dixieman 11/24/10 - 10:58 am
My earlier post was removed

My earlier post was removed for violation of some AC policy, so I just wanted to say that I think this is very nice and everyone in Augusta is very nice and I hope that everyone will have a very nice day. I don't know why the demons make me write those other posts....

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...