Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teenager arrested in Thomson girl's death

THOMSON --- A teenager was arrested Friday afternoon in connection with McDuffie County's third homicide in two weeks.

Back | Next
Tickina Bonner weeps as she talks about the death of her best friend, Shakira Hudson, 15, a freshman at Thomson High School.   Billy W. Hobbs/McDuffie Mirror
Billy W. Hobbs/McDuffie Mirror

Terry Johnson Jr., 17, of Thomson, was arrested on suspicion of malice murder after he was questioned Friday by McDuffie County investigators.

He is accused in the death of Shakira Hudson, a freshman at Thomson High School, whose body was found outside her home in Washington Place Apartments around 10 a.m. Friday.

An autopsy has been completed, but authorities haven't released the cause of death.

McDuffie County went almost a full year without a homicide, but that changed Nov. 6, when Ron Burnett, 26, was found dead on the side of the road near Dearing. Investigators say he died from a shot to the face. Cedric "Scooter" Hobbs Jr., 29, has been linked to the homicide and is being held in Fayetteville, N.C., in connection with a separate death.

On Tuesday, a 79-year-old bluegrass fiddle player named Pate Morris was found dead in his driveway in the 500 block of White Oak Campground Road with gunshot wounds. McDuffie County investigators arrested Gregory Morris, 52, of Maxeys, Ga., on Thursday on a charge of malice murder.

This latest death hit hard for Tickina Bonner, a sophomore at Thomson High School, who said she talked with Shakira until about 8 p.m. Thursday.

"I don't know why somebody did this to her," Tickina said, shaken.

Johnson is being held at the McDuffie County Law Enforcement Center awaiting a bond hearing Monday.

Drain Bamage
Drain Bamage 11/19/10 - 03:22 pm
Yes, today is a school day,

Yes, today is a school day, but if her time of death was midnight then I wouldn't think she would be at school today....

usklxm72
usklxm72 11/19/10 - 03:42 pm
The time of death or

The time of death or discovery of the body was mid-morning....

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/19/10 - 04:18 pm
Prayers to the family. Let's

Prayers to the family. Let's not pass judgement or bring politics into this. Now is not the time for shallow assumptions and pot shots. Someone has to bury their child next week.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 11/19/10 - 04:29 pm
I am not even going to

I am not even going to respond to some of the postings I made a promise to Alan English I will act more mature on this site. But seriously you all need to have prayers for the family, for losing a child at such a young age. I hoping it was not the result of man (boy) that did the killing or abused the young lady in question. Prayers to the family in this time of need!!!

sueboo418
sueboo418 11/19/10 - 04:44 pm
Storiesihaveread and Taylor

Storiesihaveread and Taylor B, well said. Prayers to the family.
Don't even have the all the facts yet and already passing judgement. Wow!

aureliusdios
aureliusdios 11/19/10 - 04:53 pm
Does it say somewhere in this

Does it say somewhere in this article that this was a family living on subsidies? May be the parents were not around cause they were out working. Every tragedy that happens is not because of some sub-culture!
This is an awful thing to happen to a family and to a young child. I hope the family finds strength in the words of people that recognize this as a tragedy that could befall any family.

getalife
getalife 11/19/10 - 04:55 pm
Mable8, crackerjack was

Mable8, crackerjack was talking about the victim not being in school, not her friend.

SouthsideNorth
SouthsideNorth 11/19/10 - 05:33 pm
••My thoughts & prayers are

••My thoughts & prayers are with the family••
What a horrible tragedy for such a young woman; I hope they find the despicable person(s) responsible for this senseless crime!!

belle
belle 11/19/10 - 05:36 pm
Wow we must all be bored.

Wow we must all be bored. The fact is that subsidized families are not different from upper middle class or rich families when it comes to seeing their fifteen year old child off to school. Often, they are much better at it. We don't have any information on what caused this tragedy but the odds are great that the parents had little to do with it.

crackerjack
crackerjack 11/19/10 - 06:12 pm
Thanx getalife, at least you

Thanx getalife, at least you understood the question. And I thought it might have been a teachers day or something. It was a question, and not to be construed as a lack of compassion. So Mable8 reported me and had my comment removed, because she didn't understand the content of the question, and how it related to this horrific senseless murder. I hope they catch the culprit soon.

Southern_Patriot
Southern_Patriot 11/19/10 - 11:15 pm
It's getting bad, 3 murders

It's getting bad, 3 murders in 2 weeks in Smalltown, USA
prayers to the family

jebko
jebko 11/20/10 - 04:37 am
casesteg20 or who ever you

casesteg20 or who ever you may be....... you are a parasite for posting a link to a website. I've seen too many post in the comment section that link to some concern/business; it's getting free advertising. Nothing more than spam!

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/20/10 - 06:39 am
jebko, that's all it is and

jebko, that's all it is and each post has a different name. Just ignore them.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/20/10 - 06:40 am
crackerjack, I see you are

crackerjack, I see you are mable8's target today.....I was yesterday. Happy posting.

getalife
getalife 11/20/10 - 10:47 am
The Thomson grapevine said

The Thomson grapevine said the young lady was pregnant with the murderer's child. If true this might be two murders instead of one?? I pray that God will bless this girl's family and be with them through the sorrow and pain. Hopefully no one will find this offensive as there seems to be some bleeding heart commenters that wants to delete everything they consider wrong. Maybe they should be hired as censors. It is sad that crackerjack was only asking a question on most everyone's mind and his comments were deleted.

mable8
mable8 11/20/10 - 01:11 pm
crackerjack: "So Mable8

crackerjack: "So Mable8 reported me and had my comment removed, because she didn't understand the content of the question, and how it related to this horrific senseless murder." For your information, I did NOT report you; before you make accusations, please make sure you accuse the right person. If you read your statement, it did appear that you were talking about the friend and not the victim. As it is, I did say condolences to the family and when is this kind of thing going to cease. Violent crimes are pointless incidents and serves no purpose whatsoever. And, by the way, I do not target posters but I do state my opinion and if that bothers some, then so be it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/20/10 - 05:36 pm
Stating one's opinion has

Stating one's opinion has never bothered me....it's when the opinion stops and the personal attacks start that I find bothersome.

checkitout
checkitout 11/20/10 - 10:14 pm
Prayers to this family. It is

Prayers to this family. It is a shame that puppy love was a play in this. She didnt want him any more and he couldnt handle it. She was to young to die. We all need to be more aware in our young childrens life. I have one question where was mom and dad the night before and the morning. Job well done McDuffie County S.O. for the last 2 weeks of job well done on clearing 3 cases.

faithful4evr
faithful4evr 11/21/10 - 12:26 am
We are standing in the

We are standing in the gap.There are many prayers being lifted on behalf of the family. It is difficult enough dealing with this tragic loss without people posting negative comments. There are many speculations about who, what, when, where, why and how. All I want to know is why did someone hear her screams and did not react, at least call the police. They didn't have to go back there. Maybe then this child may still be alive. Many people are hurting here. Where is the compassion of people?Everyone does not need to know all the facts. The fact is, a 15 yr old child is dead at the hands of another and it didn't have to be!! Love you family! God bless you all during this difficult time.

getalife
getalife 11/21/10 - 07:39 am
The reason the young lady was

The reason the young lady was not in school was because he killed her before school, early in the morning. She was two months pregnant. He beat her to death. It is sad that some people have no regard for human life. May God bless the family.

newsjunkie10
newsjunkie10 11/22/10 - 08:55 am
It's a sad day when teenagers

It's a sad day when teenagers are killing each other. So many girls are in abusive relationships. This type behavior is generational. Let's start making boys and men accountable. And, teaching girls not to put up with this treatment.

Kettle donations rise in 2014