Father gets 110 years for abuse

Son partially blind from head injury

A father who abused his two sons was convicted Wednesday and sentenced to 110 years in prison.

Beasley  Special
Special
Beasley

It took a Columbia County Superior Court jury about 10 minutes to unanimously find Thomas G. Beasley guilty of five counts of cruelty to children in the first degree and one count of cruelty to children in the second degree.

According to witnesses, Beasley, 33, regularly punched, pinched, scratched and kicked the boys. Punishment also included cold or hot baths, holding their heads under water, and making them maintain painful stress positions for long periods of time.

The abuse culminated the last weekend in March 2008 when Beasley snatched up his 9-year-old son by the ankles and drove his head into the hardwood floor, the youngest boy later told authorities. Beasley and his wife, April, waited two days before taking him to the emergency room.

The boy needed emergency brain surgery to save his life, but he was still left partially blind and developmentally impaired, Assistant District Attorney Kristi Connell told the jury.

When Beasley refused to allow the boy's transfer to an Atlanta hospital for needed medical care, the Division of Family and Children Services went to a judge to get an emergency order, Connell said. The younger boy was then put into foster care. Once free of Beasley, the then-7-year-old began telling what had been going on in their home for years.

The child suffered post-traumatic stress disorder, requiring more than two years of therapy, professional counselor Anne Watts testified.

The boys' teachers and principal at Greenbrier Elementary School testified this week that they suspected the children were being physically abused during their two years at the school.

They described both as very smart and quiet boys who kept to themselves.

If they questioned injuries or asked any personal questions, the boys would make improbable statements and met any further probing with the statement, "You have to ask my father."

The boys were so terrified of taking home any paper graded less than an A that the teachers and principal eventually began covering for them.

Sherman went to the hospital to see the older boy after the final injury.

"He was a very different little boy," she said. Instead of a bright, articulate child, she found the boy functioning at the level of a 5-year-old, she testified. Besides the head injury, she noticed the boy was missing a tooth. She asked him what happened to it.

"He said 'I can't tell you that.' I said, 'That's OK.' A little while later he said, '(His brother) hit me -- that's what I'm supposed to say.' "

A charge of cruelty to children in the second degree is still pending against April Beasley. She is accused of failing to immediately seek medical attention for her son after the March 2008 injury.

Comments (51)

smec29
smec29 11/17/10 - 11:53 pm

"At least four times, the

"At least four times, the school professionals called DFCS. Then-principal Michele Sherman testified this week that she was finally told to stop calling, a request she found unacceptable." WHAT? I hope to God that DFCS is also held responsible for this terrible outcome.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 11/17/10 - 11:58 pm

I see a PROMOTION and quiet

I see a PROMOTION and quiet transfer coming for someone in DFCS!

happychimer
happychimer 11/18/10 - 12:17 am

This makes me sick.

This makes me sick.

recoveringaddict
recoveringaddict 11/18/10 - 01:10 am

I hope he never, ever gets

I hope he never, ever gets out of prison. Maybe some of his fellow cellies will do unto him as he did to those innocent children. Thank God the children are away from this animal.

kansasmom
kansasmom 11/18/10 - 02:14 am

I am not shocked by DFACS

I am not shocked by DFACS rsponse, I turned in a family for leaving the kids home alone and the home deadbolted with a keyed lock both directions. while the dad went to school and was told it wasnt important but if I insistned they would tell who reported so he could sue me for slander. he was at ASU and lived in Hephzibah but he wasnt gone ' that long" the kids were 5,6,and 7. I tunred in a fellow classmate of my kids who was being burned and punched, again, nothing. DFACS is useless.

charliemanson
charliemanson 11/18/10 - 04:02 am

You notice that DFCS didn't

You notice that DFCS didn't hesitate in pulling Commissioner Scott Dean's kids from his home.

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 11/18/10 - 05:10 am

I know personally that DFACS

I know personally that DFACS does nothing. We have had a child since a few months old and supported him totally and even put him in childcare while we worked and paid for it while the parent and grandparents collected state benefits for this child and other children that were not in the home. When called they told me to call the hotline. We paid for an attorney and got custody and finally got somewhere. I'm sick to death of "a mother's rights". Dropping a baby doesn't make you a momma. At least one of these 4 children she's birthed is safe and pray he never goes back there. I'm for his rights... and will be until I die. These kids have no rights unless someone outside pays for it and fights for them. It's stressful and heartwrenching to deal with these people and watch when the child cringes at their name and sight.

dani
dani 11/18/10 - 06:28 am

"....his wife, April, waited

"....his wife, April, waited two days before taking him to the emergency room."
I hope she is not allowed to walk away free.

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 11/18/10 - 06:40 am

DFACS won't do anything about

DFACS won't do anything about those kind of reports, but let them get a report that parents are forcing children to go to church against their will or spanking them and DFACS will take the children away immediately and forever. It's a double standard.

nofrills
nofrills 11/18/10 - 07:31 am

I can't even begin to put

I can't even begin to put words to the anger I feel towards this man for the abuse of children, May he rot!

corgimom
19147
corgimom 11/18/10 - 08:25 am

That's ok, he'll get what's

That's ok, he'll get what's coming to him once he gets to the Big House.

What a sick, evil, twisted person.

The important thing is that the boys are alive and out of that horror.

Let's hope justice is further served by terminating those "people's" parental rights and that the boys can be adopted out into a new family.

Columbiacountygirl
Columbiacountygirl 11/18/10 - 08:51 am

Nobody at DFCS will be held

Nobody at DFCS will be held accountable. The director at the time, Linda Joesbury has retired and the Investigation supervisor died earlier this year.

MamaD
MamaD 11/18/10 - 09:11 am

I called columia County

I called columia County Defax. They interviewed the parents in the morning, came back to interview the child that evening!....giving the parents hours to drill the child and did not drug test the parents till 48 hours later! And all they asked the child was "do your parents hit you".
Nothing about alcohol or drugs. I have completey loss all faith in our county Defax and their intervention of a childs life and their has never been a follow up!

Cadence
Cadence 11/18/10 - 09:26 am

God bless the Principal and

God bless the Principal and others who called DFCS and tried to protect these babies. They helped save these children. I am so glad that this human garbage is locked away and I hope the bio mom is never allowed to have any more kids. What? It's her right to have children? What? She was a battered woman? What she was abused as a child and can't help abusing her own kids? BS.

workedforit
workedforit 11/18/10 - 09:36 am

How about that, another

How about that, another government run program that is a complete failure. Who would have guessed.

diggledo
diggledo 11/18/10 - 09:38 am

You know what? I've known

You know what? I've known towns that when child abuse cases were called in to the authorities that the police along with the agency that checks on the child shows up. What is wrong folks with this society abusing children & threatening them not to tell, that is if they are still alive???? My father abused me, told me that if I told, the police would come & put me in jail. Told me lots of other things too to keep me from saying anything. I suffered from that for most of my life & it has me boiling when I see the children in today's society being used like they are some kind of piece of trash. It doesn't matter what color you are, a child is a child. When are we going to start paying attention to our children? Quit giving them toys to play with to keep them entertained so much & start loving them & spending quality time with your children. Pay attention to their behavior & jump on it if you see a change. As for the teachers that kept calling the agencies, I think it should have gone a little futher & I don't think the children should have been allowed to go back to their house if they suspected the children were being abused.

jones255
jones255 11/18/10 - 09:46 am

And this is why child abuse

And this is why child abuse should be a capital offense. Chain them both to a stump in the swamp, and leave them there. Two worthless excuses for protoplasm. We need to clean house @ DFCS. I suggest a phone call from all of us that are outraged. Talk to your State Representative about changing the child abuse law. We can only hope and pray that both parents enjoy the prison justice, that they will surely endure. May they both have "accidents" daily.

BornInAUG
BornInAUG 11/18/10 - 09:48 am

workedforit, yeah won't

workedforit, yeah won't government run healtcare be a success?

getalife
getalife 11/18/10 - 10:14 am

Someone at DFCS should be

Someone at DFCS should be held responsible and also the trash called a wife. I think DFCS is a complete failure as locally we have seen many cases where this type issue happens and the people responsible are transferred to another area or job. It is time they take responsibility for what they did not do, to take children out of the homes of these animals. Another failed government run agency. How much faith do we have that the Obamacare will work.

edwardc
edwardc 11/18/10 - 10:36 am

I appreciate Principal

I appreciate Principal Sherman's comment on DFCS. Sometimes it seems as if they are more afraid of losing a case than of losing a child. I realize it can be a difficult call sometimes but quite often, where there is smoke, there is fire. I know a small child who was removed from his home 6 months ago. Since that time, he has revealed some of the "secrets" that went on behind closed doors. Recently he said, "If I have to go back home, that will be the end of me." He is aware that he has told "secrets" that he was not supposed to tell. How do we save these children?

Chillen
Chillen 11/18/10 - 10:37 am

What a monster. The death

What a monster. The death penalty would be better, it would save taxpayers quite a bit of money.

He is 33 years old. Let's say he lives to be 75 years old. We have to incarcerate him for 42 years. The cost per inmate is about $25,000 per year.

He will cost taxpayers $1,050,000 (excluding any medical care he will surely need).

He doesn't seem like a million dollar "man" to me.

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 11/18/10 - 11:09 am

This is so sad....not him

This is so sad....not him going to prison...but what happened to those kids. These kind of stories are heart-breaking. No punishment is good enough for him. I applaud the teachers who did their best to cover for the kids in an effort to prevent them from being abused.

shamorris
shamorris 11/18/10 - 11:50 am

Please, Please let me get my

Please, Please let me get my hands on this animal what a horrible thing to do. DFCS, the mother and anyone else that had any ideal what was going on and didnot report it or do anything to stop it should be "CHAINED FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES TO SOMETHING THAT COULD INFLICT PAIN EVERYTIME THEY THINK ABOUT MOVING"

Lonewuf
Lonewuf 11/18/10 - 11:54 am

I know some are going to be

I know some are going to be mad at my statement BUT, 110 years???? There are many other violent crimes these days where most get little or NO punishment..... I'm not saying the punishment/prison sentance is wrong, but our judicial system (although the greatest in the world) is definately flawed. What about the Gitmo dude who was tried for over 200 counts and receieved just one (1).... that's right ONEEEE guilty verdict... Those need to be tried in a military tribunal, and NOT in our US courts. WHY should they be afforded rights under our US constitution when they were acts of war or terrorism. Another slap in the face to our fine Men & Women serving in our military.

jones255
jones255 11/18/10 - 12:59 pm

Lonewuf - Thank Obaminator

Lonewuf - Thank Obaminator for trying terrorists in criminal courtrooms. I personally would like to see both parents on Death Row. That is why I think that child abuse needs to be a capital offense, with a quick turnaround.

Farmboy
Farmboy 11/18/10 - 01:05 pm

HOT DOG! THROW HIM IN JAIL!

HOT DOG! THROW HIM IN JAIL! YOU GO STRAIGHT OVER THERE AND STAY! LISTED UP YOU WOULD BE CHILD ABUSERS: THIS IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU IF YOU HURT A CHILD!!

urright
urright 11/18/10 - 01:51 pm

Columbia County DFCS did

Columbia County DFCS did everything they could to get the children out of the home. The kids were too scared to talk. The hero in this case was a child with enough guts to talk even though he knew he'd get beaten IF he ever went home. DFCS made sure he didn't. A rant to the doctors who didn't have the cajones to call it abuse when they saw it when the children were babies. Another rant to Judge Kernaghan who put the children back in the home after a doctor called it abuse. A HUGE rave to Judge Flanagan and Judge Jolly for making sure these kids were in a place where they felt safe to talk.

urright
urright 11/18/10 - 01:55 pm

Yes, mom was abused by this

Yes, mom was abused by this jerk also. It's no excuse, but she did testify against him and has made a new and better life for herself.

boredinaug
boredinaug 11/18/10 - 02:07 pm

I agree the mother should be

I agree the mother should be held accountable as well. I didn't see any mention of her being abused...and if she was, it doesn't change the fact that she was in the home and witnessed her children being abused and did absolutely NOTHING. I am all for the death penalty for this man...however, our justice system is so screwed up it costs a FORTUNE to actually execute someone in this country. The accused is allowed appeal after appeal, usually going on for many years until they have finally exhausted all avenues of escaping the death penalty. IMO -justice needs to be swift for this man...we KNOW he committed the crime, REPEATEDLY...and finally just took it too far and permanently PHYSICALLY damaged his child. It makes me sick too...all of it. I pray both of his children find good, loving homes.

crackerjack
crackerjack 11/18/10 - 02:19 pm

LONEWUF.........You've got it

LONEWUF.........You've got it right! Eric Holder and the Obama Administration wanted to show the world how wonderful the U.S. Judicial System is, and now they see how that works instead of a Military Tribunal. I guess O's promise to is Islamic brothers to have a trial in our broken court system, has backfired. Another Terrorist with his hand slapped. How about the one from Canada that will only serve 8 years in a Canadian Prison, after murdering our soldiers.

Regents approve tuition hikes

DAHLONEGA, Ga. - Tuition is going up for Georgia students at all 31 state colleges and universities under a budget plan approved Tuesday by the state Board of Regents, including the largest ...