Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Memorial statue recovered

Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
Statue owner Trav Paine and Investigator Scot Herring carry a statue back to Mr. Paines car Thursday afternoon in Augusta. The stolen statue was discovered in a shed behind a house at 508 Walker St.

Trav Paine said he had given up hope anyone would find the bronze statue dedicated to his 5-year-old daughter, Alice, who died 30 years ago of a rare genetic disease.

Back | Next
Trav Paine and Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Scot Herring carry a bronze sculpture after it was recovered from a shed behind a house in the 500 block of Walker Street on Thursday. The statue, stolen in September, is dedicated to Paine's daughter.  Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff

When he got the call Thursday that the stolen statue was found undamaged, he immediately headed over to the shed where it was located, in the 500 block of Walker Street.

"I was afraid they would carve it up," he said of the thieves as he looked at the statue sitting safely in the back of his vehicle.

Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Tony Walden said he went to the home after receiving a tip that the statue was in a backyard shed. The owner of the home, a retired doctor, told officers he hadn't been in the shed for years.

Investigators unlocked the shed and found it stuck between an old mattress and another statue that matched others located around the yard. The homeowner told officers he often bought statues at estate sales.

Walden said in cases such as this, whether the property will be recovered is unknown.

"You always want to keep hope, because you don't know," he said. "I'm ecstatic they got it back, and I know they are too."

Paine's future daughter-in-law, Natalie Spires, was on the scene sending a picture message to Paine's wife, Kate.

Spires said Kate Paine cried on the phone and said she couldn't wait to see it.

Members of the Paine family had a difficult time when they learned the statue, dedicated in 1981, was missing. The sculpture, which depicts a child in a mother's embrace, was created in memory of Alice, who died in 1980.

It went missing about four weeks ago from its pedestal of pink granite near the old Academy of Richmond County building on Telfair Street. The pedestal had been knocked over.

Spires said she went to scrap yards several times each week after the disappearance to search for the irreplaceable monument.

Paine patted his pocket to show where he carried money for a reward, hoping someone would come forward with information.

"It's a happy day for us," Paine said.

The news came at a great time for the family, according to Spires, who will marry the Paines' son next weekend.

The family would like to see the statue returned to its original location, but Paine said the final say will come from the trustees of Richmond Academy.

BACKGROUND:

A bronze sculpture erected in the memory of a child who died 30 years ago was stolen from its pedestal behind the old Academy of Richmond County. The statue is valued at $5,000, and honors the memory of 5-year-old Alice Paine, who died of a crippling genetic disorder in 1980.

DEVELOPMENTS:

• The Richmond County Sheriff's Office said the sculpture was stolen Sept. 24 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
  • On Oct. 19, family members of Alice Paine offered a $500 reward for its return.
  • On Thursday, after receiving a tip, investigators recovered the statue from a shed behind a house at 508 Walker St.
Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/28/10 - 02:22 pm
This is good news. Now I'm

This is good news. Now I'm looking forward to reading how was found, who had it, were there arrests made, the condition of the statue, will it be put back where it was if so how will it be protected and is anybody is claiming the reward.....

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/28/10 - 02:36 pm
Rolling, agreed. I need

Rolling, agreed. I need closure too!

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/28/10 - 02:45 pm
So, now I know why "staff"

So, now I know why "staff" write so many articles.

nofrills
nofrills 10/28/10 - 02:56 pm
Details please?

Details please?

Farmboy
Farmboy 10/28/10 - 03:51 pm
There has got to be some way

There has got to be some way to secure it to where it can't be moved; I just don't know what that would be.

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/28/10 - 04:17 pm
Great news. Now need

Great news.
Now need CLOSURE!!
I'll be right back after I go out and check my own garden shed for UFOs....

travers3
travers3 10/28/10 - 04:50 pm
Be patient - the Sheriff's

Be patient - the Sheriff's Dept will hopefully deliver the thief or thieves. This is just the first step generated by the reward being offered.

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 10/28/10 - 06:44 pm
Reward ? Interesting . I

Reward ? Interesting . I personally know the man that called in & ID'ed the U haul truck and man that killed that night watchman over that bail of copper . The criminal was sentenced and this person never received any reward.

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 10/28/10 - 06:58 pm
Sometimes you need to do the

Sometimes you need to do the right thing without expecting to be rewarded, I am very happy that the owner was able to recover this piece
intact.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/28/10 - 07:56 pm
Nice to hear some good news.

Nice to hear some good news. Thanks for the update.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/28/10 - 07:56 pm
So happy it was found. I had

So happy it was found. I had never heard of it until I read that it had been stolen. I can't imagine the sorrow of parents who lose a child, I'm sure this statue is very cherished to them.

Southern_Patriot
Southern_Patriot 10/28/10 - 09:08 pm
I hope they put somebody in

I hope they put somebody in RC lockup for a long time!

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/28/10 - 10:06 pm
Good find. I checked my

Good find. I checked my shed... Still full of old VW parts...

dougk
dougk 10/29/10 - 05:22 am
Found hidden in a locked shed

Found hidden in a locked shed along with a statue that was similar to other statues that adorned the retired doctor's yard. Now, just who do you think is the culprit?

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 10/29/10 - 05:30 am
@douqk, that's what I am

@douqk, that's what I am talking about, it's all there in black and white, how can u miss it? I guess because he is a retired physcian, they don't think he had anything to do with it...

dougk
dougk 10/29/10 - 06:00 am
Well, I doubt whether beyond

Well, I doubt whether beyond a reasonable doubt burden of proof can be satisfied to convict, maybe not even probable cause to arrest, but it is sure strange that the doc's name was not even reported.

getalife
getalife 10/29/10 - 06:56 am
How did it get into the

How did it get into the locked shed without the doctor's knowledge??

fish2
fish2 10/29/10 - 08:02 am
What's up Doc

What's up Doc

slamdunkdoll
slamdunkdoll 10/29/10 - 08:08 am
I know when someone removed a

I know when someone removed a small trinket from my grandmothers grave that my mom left there, she was devistated. People please learn to and teach your children to respect monuments and memorials.
Glad they have the statue back!

mable8
mable8 10/29/10 - 12:47 pm
Two have been arrested and

Two have been arrested and they had access to the shed because they did yard work on a regular basis for the homeowner. Anyone who robs a graveyard is simply scum--hope hey get the max for doing this; there is absolutely no excuse for desecrating a grave, especially that of a child. Unfortunately, most of these kind of thefts aren't prosecuted because the culprits are never found.

usafvet
usafvet 11/02/10 - 06:34 am
If you are the Taylor B

If you are the Taylor B running for office today, I hope you are defeated. You have neither the maturity or the mentality to have any control or input over other people's lives.