Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Mother gets probation in 2009 dog mauling

A woman who was responsible for the 2009 dog mauling of her 2-year-old son was sentenced Tuesday to seven years ' probation and 100 hours of community service.

Richmond County Superior Court Judge Sheryl Jolly sentenced Jessica Lynn Chavous for one count of second-degree cruelty to children , said Assistant District Attorney Adam Land.

Chavous was ordered to undergo random drug screenings and complete the Clean Break program, an inpatient drug treatment course, Land said.

According to a July 2009 police report, Chavous told police that her son, Damien, climbed the 4-foot fence into her neighbor's yard where there were several dogs.

Four dogs bit Damien on his legs, arms, neck, shoulders and face before his great - uncle rescued him.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/26/10 - 06:06 pm
I don't get the drug

I don't get the drug treatment. Was she stoned when this happened or something?

TK3
TK3 10/26/10 - 07:01 pm
On drugs and husband I

On drugs and husband I believe was arrested for drugs.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/26/10 - 07:26 pm
Ok, story didn't mention

Ok, story didn't mention that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/26/10 - 10:15 pm
What ever happened to the

What ever happened to the woman who owned the pack of dogs left in a chained yard yet unattended except for when she came to feed and clean up after them? I know that she was moving at the time as she was on outs with her neighborhood when her dogs did this. Was she held accountable in any way?

mary dits
mary dits 10/26/10 - 11:13 pm
if she had been in the

if she had been in the bathtub would she have pruney finger testing?

justus4
justus4 10/27/10 - 09:03 am
OK, so this is precedence.

OK, so this is precedence. This seems unusually hard considering other cases, so an average citizen must question how some folks are being charged while others are deemed "unfortunate accidents." What about the dogs owner? What are their charges? Why wasn't the fence higher? Whose responsibility? It seems ALL the responsibility, in this case, was placed at the feet of the parent. That can only mean one thing to the informed observer, but lets see who is blamed - next time.

a different drum
a different drum 10/27/10 - 11:45 am
This is just my opinion: The

This is just my opinion:
The way I read the Fifth Amendment before a person can be charged with a felony, evidence must be presented to a grand jury and it is up to the grand jury to decide what charges if any are made. The Supreme Court says this does not applied to the state government – they don’t have to use grand juries. I personally think the “Founding Fathers” meant for this to apply to all felony charges: federal, state and local. It seems to me, it would be wise to use grand juries at the state and local levels. This dog mauling case seems subjective to me – one person may say a crime was committed – where another person might say it was an unavoidable accident. These cases rarely go before a jury as there is usually a plea bargain made. If a person is offered probation and is able to avoid jail – why would they risk a jury trial where the outcome is uncertain? It seems to me a poor person has the deck stacked against them in a criminal case.

mary dits
mary dits 10/27/10 - 12:52 pm
you know what, justus? i

you know what, justus? i remember our star investigative reporter, scott hudson, very angry that his little girl went over to the fence and got bit by the neighbor's dog. huh. that one did play out differently.

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 10/27/10 - 05:03 pm
Reaching through a fence &

Reaching through a fence & getting bit is way different than an unsupervised 2 YO climbing a 4 foot fence & getting bit by dogs that were chained up. How many more times this week do I have to read the 1st & 5th Amendments to the Constitution before I get to read the rest of them? I'm partial to the 2nd & 4th.

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 10/27/10 - 05:18 pm
Rolling, I believe this is

Rolling, I believe this is the same case you're thinking of. Apparently nothing happened to her. The yard was fenced & the dogs were chained. I hadn't heard about the sperm banks drug problem, either. The sentence doesn't seem harsh to me; actually rather light considering what the 2 YO is and will be going through. He'll be ten when "momma" finishes her sentence; he'll be scarred for life. Note that he was rescued by the great uncle, not her. Where was she when it happened? The drug rehab portion of the sentence might explain it.

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 10/27/10 - 06:04 pm
Some claim to be "informed

Some claim to be "informed observers" but aren't. Some wonder why some are charged with something while others aren't. Some don't have all the facts, while others do. The ones with ALL the facts are the informed observers. The rest of us are reading the paper. Some of us are hit & run posters looking to incite, the rest of us enjoy robust but respectful conversation.

Hearts for Animals
Hearts for Animals 10/30/10 - 10:20 am
Sitting with me is little

Sitting with me is little Damien Chavous in my home next to his great grandfathers....he and I have never had a feud,not even now. I have seen the boy from head to foot and the injuries are not as described by the media. When this incident happened, there were 4 medium sized dogs in my back yard all under 3 years old..they were not chained,the backyard secure with 6 feet high fence,privacy fence and 4 ft at the point where they said he went over..which he did not. Jessica stayed with me for several weeks before her sentencing, I learned a lot about Jessica and even more about her children. As for what happened to me and my dogs...animal control refused to release any to me till I paid for kennel fees of $1600 and still forced me to surrender them. I was not charged with anything. My dogs did not go into their yard and I know in my heart and with statements made by Jessica...that Damien did not go into my yard either..the scars on his body reflect that only a small dog could have bitten him...I understand why the truth was not told...when cornered anyone will do what they need to do to escape and that is what they did...I can't really fault them for that..that is why we continue to be friends,but did it cause irreparable harm to me...more than you could ever know.The wheels of justice grind slow and Jessica needs far more than just rehab..she needs a mentor and without it,she will not be able to reach her goals. I tried to help her and gave her incentive to do so...should she ever decide to take me up on it...the help is still here for her.
As for me,you don't know me,but I live in the same house next to Jessica's grandfather,I welcome anyone who wants to know more.

Hearts for Animals
Hearts for Animals 10/30/10 - 10:49 am
Be sure and click onto hearts

Be sure and click onto hearts for animals to see the picture of me with Damien
Shirley Barnes

Hearts for Animals
Hearts for Animals 10/30/10 - 12:53 pm
I just wrote an explanation

I just wrote an explanation to some questions asked on these comment forums....and it was removed because I mentioned some names of some officials that were involved in the reason I was not personally present at the house..but as for what happened to me...I was not charged nor were my dogs...but they were held for a month and then I was forced to pay $1600 in kennel fees to get only the one dog that was in the front yard that was taken and had nothing to do with the accusations...the 4 dogs in the back which were under 3 years old,not aggressive and not chained...there was a tarp covering the chain link area not covered by privacy fence which I was working on completing...that was down when I went there after the incident. I was forced to surrender the 4 dogs and we know what they did...they killed them...with no proof other than the statements of people who had every reason to conceal the truth to protect themselves and their dog...no evidence whatsoever to prove my dogs did it...they were ready to hang Jessica and she was willing to let them do it because her own hands were tied. The state law protected me from prosecution,but it did not keep animal control from their own form of justice,the two involved didn't just lose their jobs or positions for abusing co workers,but for what they did to me as well and others like me.