Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Officer suspended for threatening his wife

A Columbia County deputy marshal was suspened this week pending an investigation into a charge that he verbally threatened his wife.

Vashion Staley turned himself in to Aiken County authorities Tuesday after being charged in telephoned threats to his wife, according to Chief Magistrate Bobby Christine.

Staley was charged with criminal domestic violence and released from the Aiken County Detention Center on a $2,505 bond, according to jailers.

Staley and his wife are going through a divorce, authorities said.

juantez
juantez 10/22/10 - 11:40 am
Outstanding public

Outstanding public servant....

BubbaDan
BubbaDan 10/22/10 - 12:11 pm
Remember, next time you get

Remember, next time you get divorced, don't say anything harsh. What a bunch of nonsense.

bclicious
bclicious 10/22/10 - 12:13 pm
Juantez, All I can say is

Juantez,

All I can say is that I hope this guy is guilty because if he is not, he is screw*d. This guy's career just went down the toilet.

Oh and Juantez, if you did not know, public servant's are people too! Some of them are outstanding, others completely suck. It is reasonable to understand that some public servants are bad apples. Let's just hope for the sake of justice that this Deputy Marshall is 100% guilty.

bclicious
bclicious 10/22/10 - 12:14 pm
GAPOST will have this guy's

GAPOST will have this guy's butt!

MistaChuckD
MistaChuckD 10/22/10 - 12:26 pm
@Jauntez Did you read THIS

@Jauntez
Did you read THIS part of that article

... pending an investigation into a charge that he verbally threatened his wife

@bclicious
What do you mean have his butt? What do you think GAPOST can/will do to him?

soldout
soldout 10/22/10 - 12:45 pm
At least at this point she

At least at this point she can recover from words.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/22/10 - 01:49 pm
If I had a dollar for every

If I had a dollar for every time I was threatened with words.... Good grief. I want to believe the officer didn't do it. Hope the TRUTH comes out, whatever the truth happens to be.

happychimer
happychimer 10/22/10 - 01:56 pm
It is against the law to

It is against the law to threaten bodily harm to someone over the phone. How do you know he did not threaten to kill her? We don't know.

boredinaug
boredinaug 10/22/10 - 02:11 pm
This story wouldn't have made

This story wouldn't have made the news unless he was a deputy Marshall. I agree it would be nice to think all "public servants" were blemish free, God-fearing individuals...but I think we all know its not the case. We don't know if he threatened her or not, but I am willing to bet he would not have been charged without some PROOF of the crime. That said, I don't think its totally fair to pass judgement on his entire character based soley on this event. Divorce brings out the absolute worst in people.

sueboo418
sueboo418 10/22/10 - 02:48 pm
Ok, maybe I am wrong for

Ok, maybe I am wrong for thinking this, but what is a Columbia County official so to speak living in Aiken County??? I'm guessing since he turned himself in in Aiken County he must live there right?

Nightwing
Nightwing 10/22/10 - 03:13 pm
Why can"t divorces be more

Why can"t divorces be more amicable? I mean both seemed to have made a mistake in getting married, so leave it at that. It is a shame that it could not be worked out.

MysteryWriter
MysteryWriter 10/22/10 - 03:14 pm
sueboo418 wrote: Ok, maybe I

sueboo418 wrote:

Not everyone lives in the county they work in. As long as he's not an elected official that voters put in (and he isn't), he can live anywhere he wants to.

airbud7
airbud7 10/22/10 - 03:32 pm
He must have left the verbal

He must have left the verbal threats on her voice mail in order for her to have enough proof to obtain a warrant. Im sure no judge in S.C. would ever take one side of a story as the whole truth./ Especially when the couple are going through a divorce...

sueboo418/She could have moved to SC when they split.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/22/10 - 03:35 pm
Do Deputy Marshall's for

Do Deputy Marshall's for Columbia County have to live in their own county or within a certain number of miles of the county line, like Richmond County deputies do? I don't know how these rules are from county to county and department to department.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/22/10 - 03:58 pm
If you look at a map, you can

If you look at a map, you can see that there are portions of Aiken County along I-20 that are just a hop, skip, and a jump from Columbia County.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/22/10 - 09:10 pm
Autumn Leaves, that only

Autumn Leaves, that only applies to driving your vehicle home, even for Richmon County.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/23/10 - 08:42 am
boredinaug, I agree with you

boredinaug, I agree with you post, divorce brings out the worst in people because it's a matter of the heart and pride.

Nightwing, it's not that the wrong people married, it's usually a case where one of the individuals has given up and decided it's easier to find someone else. They've lost interest and that leaves the other individual who wants to keep the marriage, hurt, frustrated, and angry.

Sad thing is this officer will have to pay the price for letting his mouth overload his head (if he's guilty). How many times have words been said in anger that were a result of frustration but had no actual threat. I'm sure this is the case but either way. If it was said out of frustration I hope the ex is happy, now he's without a job so the alimony and child support payments (if any) will be at a reduced amount.

If his treats had real meaning....then by all means he needs some anger management classes.

WW1949
WW1949 10/23/10 - 09:31 am
Just maybe she baited him to

Just maybe she baited him to get the response she got. You know that does happen or just maybe one side is being unreasonable in the community property split or maybe she wants alimony which I think is a crock if both are able to work and both have good jobs. Kids are a different story. They should be supported out of both incomes. Who knows.

juantez
juantez 10/24/10 - 05:56 pm
If this guy was just a

If this guy was just a regular guy off the street some of the post would be totally different.. I might be wrong...

Iknowjack
Iknowjack 10/25/10 - 08:18 am
In Aiken County, all you have

In Aiken County, all you have to do is say you got threatened in order for a warrant to be issued. Where is the proof? However, in RC you need an act of congress to obtain a criminal warrant these days. The uniform deputy's are not educated enough to read when someone violates a Superior Court Judges orders....Maybe some in service training is needed...

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/25/10 - 05:14 pm
Thanks, AsitisinAugusta,

Thanks, AsitisinAugusta, apparently I misunderstood the several people that have mentioned the parameters.

Solar 'farm' for Fort Gordon?

ATLANTA -- Georgia military installations at Fort Stewart, Fort Gordon, Fort Benning and Kings Bay will one day be housing solar farms that can make them independent of the power grid in ...