Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Grandmother charged after fighting officer

A grandmother was charged with obstruction of an officer after a fight during juvenile court Wednesday, according to an incident report.

The situation began when a young man tried to resist officers' attempts to put handcuffs on him around 2 p.m. During the time, his grandmother, Dora Ward, 52, of the 2400 block of Damascus Road, came up behind the officer and began to choke him.

Ward is the mother of Justin "Jed" Elmore, who was shot and killed during a confrontation with deputies at the Cherry Tree Crossing Apartments in 2008.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/22/10 - 04:44 pm
Wow! Adults need to start

Wow! Adults need to start acting like adults. Sounds like the jail is holding family reunions lately.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 10/22/10 - 04:48 pm
Any time a person attacks a

Any time a person attacks a police officer they put THEIR life at risk. She should have been taken care of accordingly and then there would be NO further assaults on an officer......Especially after reaching for his gun......

flipa
flipa 10/22/10 - 04:50 pm
The fact that this court

The fact that this court officer hid his gun speaks volumes. ah aha

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/22/10 - 05:12 pm
Flipa, haha...so true.

Flipa, haha...so true.

Farmboy
Farmboy 10/22/10 - 05:22 pm
This is sad, but it's what we

This is sad, but it's what we have come to expect.

Nightwing
Nightwing 10/22/10 - 05:26 pm
No respect for authority and

No respect for authority and no responsibility for wrong actions.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/22/10 - 05:38 pm
Guess who Grandma is? None

Guess who Grandma is? None other than Justin Elmore's mom. Remember him?

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/22/10 - 05:54 pm
I heard on the other news

I heard on the other news outlet's that it was Mr. Elmore's mother. She needs some serious time for doing this.

Westside Liberal
Westside Liberal 10/22/10 - 06:00 pm
Augusta’s own "Momma

Augusta’s own "Momma Grizzly". "Sarah P" told us they would be rearing their heads this seasons.

oh bull
oh bull 10/22/10 - 06:13 pm
lock em up, throw away the

lock em up, throw away the key. It's time to rid ourselves of this trash

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 10/22/10 - 06:19 pm
WOW is all I am saying

WOW is all I am saying

corgimom
corgimom 10/22/10 - 07:39 pm
They secure their weapons if

They secure their weapons if they think there's a chance someone might grab it. Most officers don't wear their weapons in a courtroom- lots of people aren't too happy after they've been sentenced.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 10/22/10 - 07:40 pm
I don't know what has

I don't know what has happened to Dora. She use to work for me and was an excellent employee. I believe she now works at Laney in the cafeteria. I imagine she has been overcome with so many problems with unprodctve children and grandchildren.

NoHayManera
NoHayManera 10/22/10 - 07:40 pm
So this is the woman who

So this is the woman who spawned Justin Elmore... shocking.

cadam12
cadam12 10/22/10 - 08:07 pm
THE APPLE DON'T FALL FAR FROM

THE APPLE DON'T FALL FAR FROM THE TREE. BAD BLOOD IS BAD BLOOD

bclicious
bclicious 10/22/10 - 08:50 pm
Was it misd or felony

Was it misd or felony obstruction? If I were the officer, I would have charged her with felony obstruction due to the fact that she used force against the officer.

P.S. it doesn't look like the juvenile fell far from the tree.

trimmy
trimmy 10/22/10 - 08:55 pm
Way to go AC. First

Way to go AC. First amendment?

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/22/10 - 09:08 pm
Flipa, exactly what "volumes"

Flipa, exactly what "volumes" does it speak? The article stated that this court officer working in juvenile court secured his weapon prior to court....So, lets here your version of juveline court procedures for officers?

This pathetic excuse of a grandmother needs to loose any/all rights to "raise" children once she is released, which in my opinion shouldn't be anytime soon.

dejones
dejones 10/22/10 - 09:15 pm
A disease passed down from

A disease passed down from generation to generation. How do we stop this cycle ? Spayed & Neuter is one solution.

trimmy
trimmy 10/22/10 - 09:48 pm
Is this forum just so people

Is this forum just so people can be nice, or should it get at the real reason crime is running rampant in Augusta. There is no real punishment, that's the reason crime is on the increase. It seems everyone is afraid to say what's on their mind, to keep someone's feeling from getting hurt. Wah, Wah, wah. You make me sick, in a nice way.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/22/10 - 11:56 pm
Ms. Ward shows the same

Ms. Ward shows the same "respect" for authority that cost her son his life. You wish to "play" rough, be sure you understand all of the rules lest you pay the ultimate checkmate. Affirmative action work two ways.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 10/23/10 - 12:19 am
I saw the video on the news.

I saw the video on the news. Grandma behaved poorly and got the worst end of it, for sure.

itamazezme
itamazezme 10/23/10 - 01:14 am
I cannot speak to how Ms.

I cannot speak to how Ms. Ward reared her son, Justin. I do know that sometimes children given the best parenting, will still do wrong. I think there should have been more officers during this proceeding and better strategically placed seeing Ms. Ward's past experience was of police having been put in a situation where her son was killed by them. If you watch the video you'll see Ms. Ward did not put her hands on the officer until the officer put his hands on her grandson which I feel set her off. That doesn't excuse the bad behavior of the grandson nor Ms. Ward. They are clearly wrong and should be held accountable. As for the court and the sheriff's system, I would hope they will use this incident as a learning experience and make the appropriate changes. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt.

crackerjack
crackerjack 10/23/10 - 06:43 am
30 days in the Electric

30 days in the Electric Chair.

Junket831
Junket831 10/23/10 - 07:51 am
Ms. Ward should have taken

Ms. Ward should have taken out her frustration on the grandson just as she should have done the same with her son when he was young. Many parents are too quick to defend or condone behavior of their children and family members. When they should do the exact opposite and point out the shame they have brought to the family. Unfortunately, this now extends across the spectrum and includes all races, economic class and genders.

55 F-100
55 F-100 10/23/10 - 09:16 am
Justin "No-More" Elmore's

Justin "No-More" Elmore's mother..............that's priceless.

WW1949
WW1949 10/23/10 - 09:43 am
I did not see the video but

I did not see the video but what do you expect if a person is sentenced to a jail term. Walk out of the courtroom hand in hand. Offenders are always in handcuffs for their, the public and the officers protection. Itamazeme, how do the handcuffs get put on without touching. Mrs. Ward should have known what was going to happen and should have to pay the price for her actions.And they want to move these types of troublemaking people out of the projects and into the general population.
What a shame.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 10/23/10 - 10:24 am
If there had been cause for

If there had been cause for me to be in juvenile court when I was that age, the police would have been pulling my grandmother/s off ME, not the cops. That would have been right behind them restraining my parents.

It doesn't take a village to raise a kid. It takes a family who is willing to stand up to a child (ok, in most cases.... I know there are exceptions with really bad kids) and let him know his behavior won't be tolerated.

Techfan
Techfan 10/23/10 - 01:39 pm
Don't taze me bro.

Don't taze me bro.

justus4
justus4 10/23/10 - 03:17 pm
The same ol' song is getting

The same ol' song is getting louder...and it's going to only get worse. Great country, eh?