Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Police name suspect in Saturday homicide

Authorities have named a suspect in Saturday's fatal shooting of Roderick Tolbert.

Keon Deshez Leverett
Keon Deshez Leverett

Keon Deshez Leverett, 19, of 213 E. Hale St., is being sought in connection with the homicide.

Warrants have been filed against Leverett for murder, armed robbery and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, according to Lt. Calvin Chew, of the Richmond County Sheriff's Office.

Witnesses heard two or three shots about 4 p.m. in the 300 block of Sterling Street and saw Tolbert, 47, run out of a house and collapse, police said.

Anyone with information on Leverett's whereabouts is asked to contact the s heriff's office at (706) 821-1080.

It is the county's 31st homicide of the year.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/11/10 - 07:58 pm
They will have him in two

They will have him in two days, tops. Your can't hide from them folks for long.

Waymore
Waymore 10/11/10 - 08:09 pm
I wonder if the "Z" shaved in

I wonder if the "Z" shaved in his hair means "Zero".

corgimom
corgimom 10/11/10 - 08:54 pm
AC, 12/17/2009-Indicted- Keon

AC, 12/17/2009-Indicted- Keon Deshez Leverett , 18, of the 200 block of Hale Street, terroristic threats, first-degree criminal damage to property and two counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/11/10 - 09:01 pm
As they used to say, " he

As they used to say, " he needs to be put under the jail".

younameit
younameit 10/11/10 - 09:23 pm
Armed robbery plus murder =

Armed robbery plus murder = 60 years before eligible for parole: Age 79. See ya.

ebs421
ebs421 10/11/10 - 09:32 pm
Its past time to bring out

Its past time to bring out the electric chair on a weekly basis

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 10/11/10 - 10:12 pm
Whatever happened to turning

Whatever happened to turning the other cheek? If someone ticks me off, I basically just avoid them like a plague. Much easier to just ignore them like they don't even exist.

spotted_assassin
spotted_assassin 10/11/10 - 10:54 pm
"...terroristic threats,

"...terroristic threats, first-degree criminal damage to property and two counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime" -

-- Dang, how much (or should I say little) time do you get for all that, to be back out on the streets?

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 10/11/10 - 11:06 pm
I'm sure they were 19 good

I'm sure they were 19 good years. A lot of good times to look back on after he loses the view.

APiratesLife4Me
APiratesLife4Me 10/11/10 - 11:34 pm
Waymore...Good one. I was

Waymore...Good one. I was thinking ZORO but you are right on....a ZERO.

RAWR
RAWR 10/12/10 - 12:07 am
Does it give anyone else a

Does it give anyone else a warm tingly feeling when they post mugshots of suspected murderers? Kind of makes you wonder why they are on the streets to begin with.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 10/12/10 - 12:17 am
I am so tired of these

I am so tired of these foolish murders. We are not even safe to walk the streets. These young black men are killing themselves and over what? drugs? territory?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/12/10 - 12:32 am
younameit... I wish, but keep

younameit... I wish, but keep dreamin. This bleeding heart "so called" justice system will never keep him that long. They pride themselves on turning loose wastes like this on innocent citizens. It makes me sick to my stomach we cant afford more cops, can't pay them decent wages, cant build more prisons to keep these wastes locked up, and dont even try to come up with a way to afford these things, but they sure do find a way to build things we dont want or need, support non working baby factories cradle to the grave, bail out irresponsible people who live beyond their means, find extra money to help other countries. Priorities in this country are so messed up thanks to these bleeding hearts I don't think we will ever recover. How many times have killers been released only to kill again? This one will be no different, mark my words. Theres no excuse for this bull except half this country doesn't have the common sense of a brick (they refer to their ignorance as compassion) and the other half dont have the kahunas to shut them down to save this country.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/12/10 - 01:36 am
Another Augusta youth who has

Another Augusta youth who has taken a life, ruinded a life and hurt many others emotionally in the process. Yes, it can and does happen with our youth but we are fooling oursleves by not addressing the fact that young black males are far more violent and think far less of life than other races/sexes. Our leaders need to address this issue but unfortunatley white leaders can't for fear of being labeld racist and black leaders simply won't do it - they would rather save their energy and venom to attack police officers forced to use deadly force in the performance of their duties.

What really amazes me is that most of the time the victims are black as well and yet the black community, churches, leaders, etc. FAIL MISERABLY at even discussing this as an issue.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/12/10 - 01:35 am

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/12/10 - 10:02 am
I saw a young man that looked

I saw a young man that looked like him but he had long dreads, yesterday. He was walking on Jeanne Road and on Vernon Drive and a black pickup truck with dark-tinted windows stopped near him but moved on when traffic came up. Then a long white SUV came circling back a couple of times, seemed to be trying to meet up with him, but by then I don't know where he'd gone. So now I wonder if this kid has thrown on some fake dreads, but with those dark-tinted windows, could have just been a couple of his honeys trying to hook up with a high school kid and not a fugitive from justice, so I just took note of the facial resemblance.

KingJames
KingJames 10/12/10 - 10:28 am
Corgimom, thanks for the

Corgimom, thanks for the criminal history on this guy. This information is timely and appropriate.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/12/10 - 05:02 pm
It is one thing to reference

It is one thing to reference the site to look up the information on augustaga.gov's court records, it is quite another to post the information on a public thread. I wouldn't do it. Sometimes there are errors in public records or they are behind in posting new developments in cases and I wouldn't want to inadvertently be spreading misinformation. That is why they have a disclaimer that viewers are supposed to agree to, attached on the site.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/12/10 - 10:43 pm
America is saturated with

America is saturated with guns! They're for sale or trade in most neighborhoods.