Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man collapses, dies as gunman escapes

Elbert White heard gunshots Saturday and stepped outside to investigate.

Two doors down from his mother's house on Sterling Street, a man ran outside and collapsed under a tree. Another man wearing a maroon shirt running in the opposite direction passed directly in front of White.

White started to shout before the running man pointed a gun at him.

"All I saw was a big old gun," said White, when asked for a description of the gunman.

White ducked behind a car in the driveway and watched as the gunman, who was carrying a black bag, ran out of sight behind a house.

Deputies and then an ambulance pulled into the cul-de-sac in the 300 block of Sterling Street about 4 p.m.

Neighbors said medics worked frantically on the victim, Roderick Tolbert, 47, who later died.

Richmond County Sheriff's Sgt. James Kelly would not release any more information on the homicide Saturday evening.

It was Richmond County's 31st homicide of the year.

The 30th happened on Wednesday when a teenager driving his car about 2 a.m. on Dewitt Street was shot in the head. Terrence Lamont Turner Jr., 16, crashed his car into a fence and was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he died.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 10/10/10 - 02:59 am
Wow... truly reprehensible.

Wow... truly reprehensible. There are few things that warrant the taking of a human life and I doubt this would fall into that category. Strange thing is, though, more people will say kinder things about a dog that was poisoned than a fellow human being that has been slain, regardless of the conditions.

Ole School
Ole School 10/10/10 - 04:52 am
47 that is my age. I wonder

47 that is my age. I wonder of the poor fella owned a gun...... its just awful

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/10/10 - 07:14 am
As Augusta continues to

Right now, these perceived adversaries are within the subculture, but as the evolution continues, the adversaries will be members of the productive citizenry. That's you and me.
Stand by for more surprises from the subsidy culture, produced by your federal government, with your tax money. The time to act as though nothing can be done to improve this situation is about to end. Let's hope we all survive the "pre-improvement" era. The evolution won't stop.

Runner46
Runner46 10/10/10 - 07:55 am
This could have been a double

This could have been a double homicide. If you hear gunfire, make sure you are armed if you are going to investigate the noise.

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/10/10 - 08:51 am
Another murder in Augusta...

Another murder in Augusta... countyman should be chiming in soon to tell us we really are safe no matter that people are killing people at a rapid pace.

I wish peace for this man's family. It's bad enough to lose a loved one, but to lose him in this fashion is horrible. God bless and keep you all.

johnston.cliff... do you ever get sick of blaming everything on the subsidy programs? There actually are some people that are good, God fearing people that have just had a rough go of it lately, or have found themselves disabled through no fault of their own.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 10/10/10 - 09:10 am
The percentage of those who

The percentage of those who live off government handouts is now nearing the 50% mark. When the parasites outnumber the hosts then the host will die....Where will that leave the parasites? Nobody is complaining about programs to give SHORT TERM help to those who need it. What hard working Americans are tired of is seeing GENERATIONS of people who live off of handouts for their entire life. Just once we would like to hear the recipients say "thank you" and not "give me more".

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/10/10 - 09:18 am
Careful johnston.cliff. You

Careful johnston.cliff. You are speaking off the OTHER unspoken statistic concerning crime. What percentage of violent crime and crime in general is committed by people on the public dole. You will never see that stat published.....either. It's time to do away with the welfare programs as we know them. Total dependence on the government should only be for those who are disabled. Anyone else should be made to show up 5 days a week and do something for 8 hours a day. Even if it is just "make work" stuff, they should have to get dressed, leave their homes, report somewhere, and do something for 8 hours a day in order to get their check, EBT card, subsidized housing, and free medical care. They should be tired when they get home and only have enough energy to eat dinner and go to bed. That would certainly cut down on the crime rate. It sure keeps me off of the streets.

BCG
BCG 10/10/10 - 09:49 am
Dichotomy... your plan is the

Dichotomy... your plan is the plan we should all demand! Idle hands you know so when will out government wake up

1CowboyFan
1CowboyFan 10/10/10 - 09:54 am
Dichotomy for President.

Dichotomy for President.

MistaChuckD
MistaChuckD 10/10/10 - 10:38 am
Wow. I went to high school

Wow. I went to high school with Roderick. RIP brother.

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/10/10 - 10:55 am
I totally agree with

I totally agree with Dichotomy@9:18! My only objection is to the way johnston.cliff always screams "subsidy recipients!" every single time there is a crime reported.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/10/10 - 11:12 am

Some think it is "their" right to stay here & for free.....we have only brought this on ourselves.....change congress...change the laws or kiss the USA goodbye!

corgimom
corgimom 10/10/10 - 11:55 am
These homicides aren't about

These homicides aren't about subsidies. They are about drugs and the huge amount of money that is to be made on them.

Drug war.

Augusta had one back in the 90's, too, same thing. Augusta was like the Wild West. Just like now.

keepnitreal
keepnitreal 10/10/10 - 12:25 pm
Man I'm starting to feel like

Man I'm starting to feel like I'm back home in NYC.

Biggun
Biggun 10/10/10 - 02:28 pm
I think humbleopinion is

I think humbleopinion is right, which is what makes corgimom right too. Nobody with a brain wouldn't want more than welfare pays. School ain't cool and dealing is the easy and cool gangsta way to lots of money even if it kills you and the people around you.

Cliff's right too. The violence isn't going to stay put when the money gets even tighter.

TK3
TK3 10/10/10 - 03:05 pm
I agree with Runner46 &

I agree with Runner46 & dichotomy ! Anytime you go outside best be armed.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/10/10 - 06:16 pm
Abby-noll, I don't scream. I

Abby-noll, I don't scream. I point out an ongoing problem that has become socially acceptable amount those that don't like to evaluate situations. I point out the root cause and I lay the blame with the federal government's social engineering and vote buying.
The problem is subsides and they way they're distributed. The current government method not only discourages any kind of personal responsibility or personal accountability, it actually encourages the worst kind of immoral behavior.
Yes, there's a tiny percentage of people that supplement their life with the subsidies for short periods of time under emergency conditions. These aren't the people I reference.
Hopefully, I won't have to stipulate this again. Sorry for the confusion.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/10/10 - 06:19 pm
Corgimom, re:11:55a, "These

Corgimom, re:11:55a, "These homicides aren't about subsidies."

Is there any subject you understand? Please have a friend explain this situation to you. Sorry for continuing to confuse you.

ispy4u
ispy4u 10/10/10 - 07:18 pm
You do not know a darn thing

You do not know a darn thing about this man. He was a graduate of ARC and during the entire time there, never caused a problem. I have known him for over 37 years and though I did not stay in daily touch with him, he was alway polite and a caring person. To have some low life kill you in your own yard is bad enough, but to have some idiot throw in comments about the subsidy crowd is down right sickening. Rest in peace Roderick.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/10/10 - 08:02 pm
I agree dichotomoy and

I agree dichotomoy and humble. And Johnston speaks the truth. So what if its said, every day on most crimes. It fact most of these things are a product of what that culture had created.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/10/10 - 08:03 pm
And ispy, I didn't see where

And ispy, I didn't see where anyone said anything about this man in particular, but more than likely his innocent death, and many other deaths even innocent children, are one again crimes that are directly or indirectly a product of what the subsidy environment has created.

Its sad, but acting like the problem doesn't exist and denying it isn't slowing the deaths down at all. I mean really, do you not see a link? Why is it then the highest crime areas are those of subsidy residents, and usually the perps are from the same environment? There is a lack of ethics and morals in subsidies. One shouldnt have pride in their gang or non working situation because you get freebies and get to have fun, that doesn't count. Pride is working as hard as you can not to raise your children in an environment you know isn't good, not stay there because its free.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/10/10 - 08:03 pm
Disability for the most

Disability for the most idiotic things are the new scam. Kind of sad to see whole apartment building full of women on disability and anxiety for depression with at least 4 to 5 kids in each one when they been on disability for 4 years. How did having several more kids help your situation? Silly me, I'm under the impression its a lot of work to raise kids especially alone.
A lot of these people do have choices, they just choose not to work and get out, but have more kids to delay it. A lot of these people do have choices, they just choose not to work and get out, but have more kids to delay it. I could pull the same scam and get out of working, but I refuse to raise my kids like that, too much pride here.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/10/10 - 08:03 pm
My condolences to his family.

My condolences to his family. Stuff like this is senseless and wont get better being ignored

natchez
natchez 10/10/10 - 11:55 pm
So Cliff in a nation of

So Cliff in a nation of "subcultures" which one do you belong to?

workingirl32
workingirl32 10/11/10 - 12:41 pm
Very sad story. Another life

Very sad story. Another life is taken by a gun.

Crabby Appleton
Crabby Appleton 10/11/10 - 07:00 pm
I don't know why anyone is

I don't know why anyone is worrying about such mundane statistics. I have it on good authority from Countyman, Augusta streets are safe.

natchez: My suculture is easily defined. The govment doesn't pay me rent subsidy, no food stamps, no medicare, no medicaid. Nothing comes in my mailbox but bills. I don't carry a gun or knife (yet) and when I walk the streets if I don't tell you hello, I'll nod my head in acknowledgement of a greeting.

My children graduated from high school and are just about finished with college. When they were young my wife and I took care of them and disciplined them properly when they misbehaved. We taught them respect for others and in particular those who work in law enforement.

I think they turned out pretty well. I know I can call any of them on the phone and they won't be into any mischief.

In this sorry time of progressive disrepect for anything but wholesome values, I'm proud of them and still proud to be American even though our temporary president is a sorry socialist communistic excuse for an american (and I use that term very loosely with this agent of change)

RAWR
RAWR 10/12/10 - 12:04 am
Workingirl don't you mean

Workingirl don't you mean another life is taken by a coward? The gun is just a tool. The scumbag could have ended the victims life with thousands of objects.

RIP

ispy4u
ispy4u 10/12/10 - 06:37 pm
CLIFF J>"As Augusta continues

CLIFF J>"As Augusta continues to evolve as a subsidy city, violent deaths will continue to rise. You see, the subsidy subculture has evolved to the point where not only is all life without value (as are most other things), but it's a point of honor for the adventurous members of this subculture to kill a perceived adversary.
Stand by for more surprises from the subsidy culture, produced by your federal government, with your tax money. The time to act as though nothing can be done to improve this situation is about to end. Let's hope we all survive the "pre-improvement" era. The evolution won't stop".
TAKEASTAND, I really don't give a you know what what you think. To make this same comment every time there is a crime. Is ignorant. Crime was around way before the " subsidy crowd" existed.

usafvet
usafvet 10/13/10 - 01:49 pm
Another statistic that won't

Another statistic that won't be published is that the more democrats in an area, the higher the crime rate. Democrats have been taught for generations that what they are stealing should have been theirs anyway.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 10/27/10 - 03:49 am
And the cry goes up,

And the cry goes up, ELIMINATE the subsidy culture! Only a fool is dumb enough to thinks the "haves" will be safe in a land of "have nots." Especially if the "have nots" are armed to the teeth with guns!

Americans are far more likely than Europeans to believe that individuals, not society, are responsible for their own failures, economic and otherwise. But an increasing number of Americans are beginning to see the US as a nation of "haves" and "have nots," and it's a recognition that not just individuals but society is to blame too. To illustrate, income gains over the last few decades have been heavily concentrated at the very top of the income distribution. The share of income going to families in the top 1% of the income scale has doubled from 8% in 1980 to 16% in 2004 even excluding capital gains.

Stranger helps raise $40,000 for mom who left child in park

A thousand miles didn't stop a New Hampshire woman from extending a helping hand to a local mother accused of leaving her 9-year-old daughter at a park while she worked her shift at a fast-food ...