Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Neighbor accused of poisoning dog

A dog was poisoned with anti freeze Monday after a neighbor tossed tainted meat to the animal, according to law enforcement.

The dog's owner told a deputy that he saw his neighbor, Darryl McKinney, throw the meat and that he immediately tried to take it away from his pet, a report stated. He suspected something was wrong with the meat because of a long-standing dispute with his neighbor in the 2200 block of Killebrew Avenue.

The dog showed no signs of illness, but a veterinarian confirmed that it had been poisoned and so started treatment . McKinney, 21, was arrested Friday on a charge of cruelty to animals.

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/09/10 - 12:01 am
sick person

sick person

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 10/09/10 - 12:11 am
What a coward! This guy

What a coward! This guy doesn't have the stones to keep the problem between the neighbor and himself, so he tries to take it out on the dog?

Anyone who would do something like this is a sick, twisted, lily-livered COWARD.

KSL
KSL 10/09/10 - 03:10 am
I hope the dog survives .

I hope the dog survives . Unfortunately the punishment of the neighbor won't be enough. I voluntarily deleted what I hoped for the neighbor.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/09/10 - 03:59 am
You don't have to poison

You don't have to poison meat. If you accidentally leave a bowl of antifreeze lying around, the wayward dog will find it.
If the dog wasn't in the poisoner's yard, then prosecution is necessary.

A dog is a huge responsibility, especially in town. There's safety issues, both with the neighbors and with the dog, there's the noise issue, there's the cleanliness issue, there's the privacy issue (keeping the dog confined), and there's the health issue. A well maintained and well trained dog can be a good neighbor.

I wonder where the dog was poisoned and what the feud was really about.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/09/10 - 05:46 am
Let "Mr." McKinney taste that

Let "Mr." McKinney taste that anti-freeze - hope he gets what he deserves for being so cruel - shame on him!

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 10/09/10 - 05:58 am
johnston.cliff I agree with

johnston.cliff I agree with you. Was the dog running loose in the neighborhood and being a nuisance to everyone else? Most cities require the animal to be fenced in or on a leash. A dog that barks all night can be a real pain even if it is in a neighbors fenced in yard.

dashiel
dashiel 10/09/10 - 06:05 am
If the info in this news item

If the info in this news item proves true, Mr. McKinney will have ample time for reflection. Where he's headed folks are said to want ice-water, but anti-freeze is a good coolant too.

areps2
areps2 10/09/10 - 06:19 am
I adore my pet, BUT stupid

I adore my pet, BUT stupid and irresponsible pet owners should be the ones poisoned. The whole story is not known. My dog craps in MY yard along with lots of others. johnston.cliff you are right

TK3
TK3 10/09/10 - 07:20 am
I'm sure the neighbor had a

I'm sure the neighbor had a real problem with the dog and his owner but anti freeze type poison is a bad way for a dog to die as it eats away their insides. If the dog survives it may only be because it was a new 50/50 type. If you have a dog please keep them inside a yard fence or on a runner. Chains are for prisoners, NOT dogs. If you can't take care of pets, including keeping them-quiet, you should NOT have one. Note: Animals surrendered and strays taken to most all government pounds are killed with gas, heartstick or injection anytime after entering and the rest can be killed, if the pound is crowded, and they always are, after a 5 day hold. Always look for a No Kill pound or private shelter.

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/09/10 - 07:24 am
"He suspected something was

"He suspected something was wrong with the meat because of a long-standing dispute with his neighbor in the 2200 block of Killebrew Avenue."

I have a feeling this guy is just a butthead. Well, it's not a feeling really... anyone who would do that to an animal due to a dispute with the owner is more than a butthead! Obviously the owner was watching the dog because he took the meat from the dog and took him to the vet even though he "showed no signs of illness". From the way this story is written I would make the assumption that the dog was in his own yard and the neighbor is just trying to get back at the owner for some infraction, real or imagined.

airbud7
airbud7 10/09/10 - 07:58 am
The Dog Probably Barks All

The Dog Probably Barks All Night Long, Over, And Over, And Over, And Over, And Over, And Over, And This Man Just Snapped!!! If not then I agree with Suzy Q He's a twisted, lily-livered COWARD.

cristinadh
cristinadh 10/09/10 - 07:58 am
Animals are the only innocent

Animals are the only innocent creatures on EARTH!!!. Hopefully the dog will be okay!!

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/09/10 - 08:01 am
TK3 "Always look for a

TK3 "Always look for a no-kill or private shelter"?? There are innocent dogs and cats in "KILL" shelters that are begging for a home. They don't have a chance unless some human has mercy and gives them a loving home. "No kill and private shelters" save the animals' lives - and they surely will find homes too. But the kill shelter dogs and cats should get priority - I hope people will have compassion and think of the innocent animals that are caged and waiting for the death sentence.

nofrillls13
nofrillls13 10/09/10 - 08:01 am
Doesnt matter what the dog

Doesnt matter what the dog did or has done. it is the owners job to do right by his or her neighbors. It is wrong to take it out on the dog. I hope they throw the book at him. I rescue so many dogs in your neighborhood and the shape I find them in are disgusting. If you can't take care of your dog properly then please don't take them. Your not helping a dog when you take it in and then put it in your yard or on a chain. the animal wants human contact and affection not the lonely life of a back yard. These dogs are the same dogs keeping you up all night barking or crying. Blame the humans!

getalife
getalife 10/09/10 - 08:03 am
Dogs and cats can be a

Dogs and cats can be a nuisance, tearing up items, wetting everywhere, leaving surprises in your flowers and grass, fighting at night, digging up your flowers and shrubbery, leaving hairs on your porch cushions, etc. While I would not poison my neighbors dog and many cats, I do feel it should be the responsibility of the pet owner to keep their animal in their yard.

dani
dani 10/09/10 - 08:15 am
Let's hope the owner can

Let's hope the owner can "mend fences" with the neighbor and if the dog is the problem, find a solution. Some dogs don't get enough attention, if they are left outside 24/7 with little human companionship they will bark!.

mrsmcghee
mrsmcghee 10/09/10 - 08:26 am
Maybe the dog did bark until

Maybe the dog did bark until all hours of the night, but what right does the neighbor have to POISON a dog? That's cruel and heartless. At 21, I'm sure Mr. McKinney doesn't think much about his actions and doesn't understand that no living creature deserves the death this dog may be facing. My younger brother once had a dog poisoned by a neighbor with antifreeze. This neighbor put antifreeze in a container and placed it on OUR property for the dog to get. The dog suffered for about a week before passing, it was terrible and all the treatments our vet tried failed. My brother was 11 at the time and crushed. Our neighbor was fined, nothing else. He paid less than what we paid for the dog. People need to learn to call animal services instead of taking things into their own hands.

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/09/10 - 08:47 am
Trulyworried@9:01 ... TK3 was

Trulyworried@9:01 ... TK3 was referring to finding "no kill" shelters if you must surrender your pet. Some people are forced to surrender pets for reasons beyond their control. That is what he was referring to, not the adoption of pets, if I read his statement correctly.

julrobs
julrobs 10/09/10 - 08:56 am
If someone is not being

If someone is not being responsible for their animal, don't take it out on the animal. The person needs to be held accountable. Something is wrong, in the brain, of someone who would hurt an animal or child for revenge.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/09/10 - 09:04 am
Abby-you are SO right - I did

Abby-you are SO right - I did not read the comment properly. Yes, indeed, take the animal to a no kill shelter if you have to give it up.
But at the same time I hope people might take my comment to heart about where to get a pet.

daphne3520
daphne3520 10/09/10 - 09:04 am
One should ensure that one's

One should ensure that one's dog, cat or other "pet," is in their OWN yard, not soiling other's properties.

Cat owner's, especially, (think) their cats should be immune to property laws.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/09/10 - 09:49 am
This article gives no hint of

This article gives no hint of what the feud was about or who was at fault. Both are relevant. Unless the poisoner admits to the act, it's a he said, he said. The fact that the neighbor was charged only means a complaint was made, not that he's guilty. There's a lot of information missing from this article.

charliemanson
charliemanson 10/09/10 - 10:52 am
Darryl McKinney , 18, of the

Darryl McKinney , 18, of the 3500 block of Jack Kelly Road, entering an automobile with intent to commit a theft

AugustaChronicle, 11-22-2007
_________________________________
If this is the same Darrell McKinney, he definitely not a choir boy.

happychimer
19392
happychimer 10/09/10 - 10:55 am
I have no respect for anyone

I have no respect for anyone who poisons any animal, and I certainly would never "mend fences" with them. We had neighbors yrs ago who tried to kill our dog. They shot him, but the vet saved him. Then they tossed wieners over the fence that had glass in them. The dog did not eat them. They finally moved.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/09/10 - 11:03 am
No one is harder of

No one is harder of irresponsible pet owners who allow their animals to bother everyone else than I am, I despise people like that. They are inconsiderate jerks, should loose their pets or do a little jail time to get the point if need be. But don't be a heartless coward and punish the animal for being an animal, deal with the neighbor like a man and confront them, call animal control, call the cops, sue them, go to the media, and take all the steps necessary to stop the problem, but dont hurt the animal. Especially with antifreeze. That is a slow painful agonizing way to die. Anyone who purposefully poisons anyone that way deserves the same. Be a man and punish the one who should be punished, the sorry irresponsible adult owner.

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/09/10 - 11:38 am
TrulyWorried... I agree, one

TrulyWorried... I agree, one should get their animals from the shelter if at all possible. All of my pets have come from a shelter except for my welsh corgi/chihuaha mix... I took her in for a friend who had to go to Iraq.

TK3
TK3 10/09/10 - 11:49 am
Correct Abby-noll: .. "TK3

Correct Abby-noll: .. "TK3 was referring to finding "no kill" shelters if you must surrender your pet.Abby-noll..". "Animals surrendered and strays taken to..."

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/09/10 - 11:53 am
I'm sorry tk3... what? I'm a

I'm sorry tk3... what? I'm a little confused

pommom38
pommom38 10/09/10 - 11:54 am
Who cares what the record is,

Who cares what the record is, who cares about if the dog runs loose, poops in another yard. Yes, those are bad and should be corrected for those who allow it. Nothing in this article says anything about any of it, so of course here come the million assumptions! You people are unreal..
No matter what the dispute is/was, you don't take it out on an animal!
My neighbor had a pitt bull, nuisance dog is putting it mildly. He repeatedly jumped the fence, got loose and was in our yard, he barked constantly so sleep was out of the question. I spoke to the neighbor and told him if he didn't learn how to restrain the dog properly, and take the dog in at night or curb his barking, animal control would be called. That didn't stop it, so I was fixing to buy an air horn, wait until he was asleep, and let it rip! Animal control picked the dog up before I got the chance..
Point is, doesn't matter WHAT the story is here, you don't poison an animal! Shame he won't get anything for doing this.

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/09/10 - 12:00 pm
well, he WAS arrested pommom.

well, he WAS arrested pommom. That'll probably be the extent of the punishment though, unfortunately. I agree, it doesn't matter what the dog did or did not do nobody should ever do this to any animal!

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen