Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teen dies from gunshot wound

Police attempting to piece together background story

A teenager shot in the head early Wednesday morning died at the hospital hours later, giving Richmond County its 30th homicide of the year.

Investigators are still trying to piece together who shot Terrence Lamont Turner Jr. around 2 a.m. at Dewitt and Douglas streets and why.

Turner, 16, was driving a car at the time and crashed through a fence on Dewitt Street.

Investigators believe he was alone in the car, but are still establishing where he had been and where he was headed.

Turner was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday after 4 p.m. of his injuries, the Richmond County Sheriff's Office said.

Four or five shots were heard around the time of the shooting, but witnesses haven't been forthcoming with any other information, Investigator Brandon Beckman said.

Preliminary information indicates a handgun was deliberately fired at Turner's vehicle, but Beckman said that's one of "several things floating around."

Investigators plan to return to the neighborhood today in hopes of dredging up more information.

"I'm sure there were witnesses," Beckman said. "Everybody's out at that time of night."

pommom38
pommom38 10/06/10 - 11:40 am
Regardless what he was doing

Regardless what he was doing out at that time of night, (always is called into question on here) he may very well lose his life. Prayers to the family. No matter what, sad situation.
There are no other details at this time, so assumptions abound are on the way.

countyman
19703
countyman 10/06/10 - 11:47 am
Poor reporting, I had to read

Poor reporting, I had to read the article on WRDW to get more info. It's sad to hear about young people shooting each other. But I'm wondering why the chronicle didn't print a article about the shooting in Aiken County today. It happen during a home invasion. On the 5,6, and 11 pm news they didn't cover the story about the person who tried to rob the Martinez liquor store either. The man had a hammer and got shot in the hip.

corgimom
corgimom 10/06/10 - 11:55 am
I don't know what he was

I don't know what he was doing at 2 am. But he was on probation.

AC 10/29/09-Terrence Lamont Turner Jr. , 15, of the 1600 block of Roosevelt Drive, a felony count of theft by receiving stolen property (motor vehicle); Oct. 16: 12 months' probation, 30 days in the Short Term Program -- suspended and ordered to pay a $50 supervision fee, pay restitution to the victim, perform 20 hours of community service, write a letter of apology to the victim and attend the Conflict Resolution Workshop

4/2/2009-Terrence Lamont Turner , 14, of the 2000 block of Ewart Court, Hephzibah, aggravated assault; March 18: 12 months' probation, 60 days in the Short Term Program -- suspended -- and ordered to undergo mandatory counseling and have no contact with the victim

And here's his father:

PAROLES

AC, 1/13/2005 Thomas H. Demmons, also known as Thomas Henry Demmon, also known as Dante Demmons, also known as Henry Thomas Demmons, also known as Thomas Demmons, also known as Thomas Henry Demmons, also known as Tyrine W. Martin, also known as Tyrine Wilson Martin, also known as Terrence Lamont Turner, also known as Thomas Williams, 31, convicted Dec. 12, 2003, in Richmond County of possession of cocaine; sentenced to four years in prison, followed by four years' probation, to run concurrently with a five-year prison sentence handed down July 26, 1999, for a Morgan County conviction of possession of marijuana and misdemeanor counts of obstruction of a law enforcement officer, giving a false name and tampering with evidence; paroled to Richmond County effective Dec. 31

His father failed him long ago.

bclicious
bclicious 10/06/10 - 11:59 am
What's new! We have a

What's new! We have a shooting everyday in Augusta, maybe even every hour. The Sheriff's Office does the best that it can, but it doesn't have the support of the majority of the public. I feel sorry for the citizens of Augusta, and I am glad I live in Columbia County.

Stories like this remind me of why I am armed with one in the chamber everytime I go to Augusta! Remember, aim small, shoot small.

Respectfully,

Bobby

countyman
19703
countyman 10/06/10 - 12:17 pm
Dude please. Unless you mean

Dude please. Unless you mean people shooting in the air for fun or going hunting. Because there is definitely not a shooting(where somebody is hit) everyday in Augusta. Richmond County had 179 aggravated assaults in 2009, Aiken County had 319, and there were 60 in Columbia county.

If you have to keep one in the chamber, you need to stay out the hoods in Augusta then lol.

pommom38
pommom38 10/06/10 - 12:16 pm
Well gosh darnitt! Now

Well gosh darnitt! Now (again) my comment doesn't make sense since they removed the previous 2 comments!
County, I would LOVE to know about the shooting during the home invasion seeing I live in Aiken County!
Let us be fair though here, if the AC posted every incident, people would get tired of reading!! And it is of no surprise that one news source has more info, happens all the time.

corgimom
corgimom 10/06/10 - 12:16 pm
" It's sad to hear about

" It's sad to hear about young people shooting each other. "

Countyman, how do you know that a young person shot him? He was found slumped in his truck. Nobody knows who shot him at this time.

Would you like to tell us again how safe Augusta is and how violent crime is down?

Augusta is like a WAR ZONE.

countyman
19703
countyman 10/06/10 - 12:40 pm
I never said violent crime is

I never said violent crime is down... I just never agreed it was up either. I don't have to tell you how safe Augusta is. The FBI stats cleary show Augusta is the safest big city in GA.

Would you like to tell us again how this is a record year for murders? And remember you said one more murder in Augusta, and it would become the murder capital of the united states...

I'll take the crime in Augusta over Charlotte anyday. Today a man was killed in West Charlotte. 2 days ago a man was shot during a robbery in East Charlotte(Townhomes of Ashbrook). Three days ago a man killed himself and his girlfriend at a home on Anna Garrison road. Three days ago a pizza man killed two armed robbers who tried to rob the Pizza Hut at East Independence Boulevard. Please tell us how safe Charlotte is again?

pommom38
pommom38 10/06/10 - 12:30 pm
Ok, nevermind. I went and

Ok, nevermind. I went and read the article.

bojangles
bojangles 10/06/10 - 12:50 pm
Claiming that Augusta doesn't

Claiming that Augusta doesn't have a crime problem is like claiming Amish men don't have beards. It's like claiming UGA has a championship caliber football team and there aren't vacant lots downtown. The police department is not at fault here, rather a culture that devalues education and humanity. No city is perfect, but pretending that a problem does not exsist only exacerbates the issues. I am rooting for Augusta to turn a corner.

Chillen
Chillen 10/06/10 - 12:52 pm
lifelong, your post and mine

lifelong, your post and mine will be removed soon. You are not allowed to question parenting skills here.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/06/10 - 01:18 pm
Chillen, looks like your

Chillen, looks like your 12:52 was prophetic... I didn't get to see either of your posts.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 10/06/10 - 01:29 pm
dear chillen, you were right

dear chillen, you were right it was removed...gee i didn't know by asking or questioning "where are the parents" it "is offensive or hurts someone's feelings"..chillen i guess the truth hurts!!

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 10/06/10 - 01:31 pm
LOL @ Chillen. Yeah the man

LOL @ Chillen. Yeah the man in the newsroom in his little corner has the power of removing only what HE feels is not right for the comment section.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/06/10 - 01:31 pm
This has to end at some

This has to end at some point.

Brad

mable8
mable8 10/06/10 - 01:55 pm
To the individual who

To the individual who reported me for "blaming the victim's family," if you had READ my post then let me know what is wrong with inquiring about the reasons for a 16 year old being out at 2 a.m.? And, yes, I did say "sorry to hear of yet another victim;" the fact remains that children, whether teens or not, need parental protection. If you disagree with this philosophy, then please enlighten the rest of us on how we should care for our children. There is no need for violence of any kind...need I say more.

Chillen
Chillen 10/06/10 - 02:03 pm
And our posts were so good!

And our posts were so good! So true. So correct. And they weren't mean or evil. Oh well.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/06/10 - 02:05 pm
Countyman, when and where was

Countyman, when and where was the liquor store shooting you were talking about? Do you know the name of it, the road its on, or about when it happened? Thanks =)

Farmboy
Farmboy 10/06/10 - 03:23 pm
This is sad, but it is what

This is sad, but it is what we have come to expect.

flipa
flipa 10/06/10 - 03:26 pm
bclicious; Keeping "one in

bclicious; Keeping "one in the chamber" as you wrote is not a good idea and it takes away the all persuasive chambering of the round sound a nine makes when you need it most. I've NEVER had to fire a single weapon i own in the civilian world. Never even had to draw one. Weapons can be deceptive. Many men i've known have died with much larger weapons in their hands than they allow to be carried around here. If you think you're going to a place that has trouble you're probably right and figure out another place to go. But if you MUST practice your quick-draw make it your camera phone LONG before you have to draw your weapon. Watch my new show Crime Reports and Rewards, practice your quick draw with your camera phone and maybe you’ll even be able to quick draw against me on TV.
Brad; Looks like a turf war is beginning to break out over super pure coke coming in maybe from the Graniteville airport or Aiken airport or somewhere, it’s here. Kids are going CRAZY on the stuff and shooting folk up from here to N.C. I’m tracking the big rat down now and may have him in the bag and up to 5 mill to boot soon.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 10/06/10 - 04:13 pm
watch it mable8, what you

watch it mable8, what you said was correct and accurate, but in this age of political correctness and lack of personal accountability and responsibility those with weak minds who look for an excuse/any excuse other than looking in the mirror to see and admit their own short comings(we all have them, and we all fall short) when a post is accurate they look to blame you and other for "hurting their feelings" and report your post as insulting, when it was only the COLD HARD TRUTH...hence chiile and my post allbeit true and accurate wasn't politically correct..so ours got pulled...

KingJames
KingJames 10/06/10 - 04:16 pm
Corgimom, are you saying

Corgimom, are you saying because the boy committed crimes he should have been shot? I don't get that. Why do you search for prior arrests on anyone that is a victim or who is accused of a crime and post that information? I understand it is easy to find and a matter of public record and you are well within your right to do so. However, it is in poor taste, especially since you are talking about the victim and don't know the circumstances surrounding this shooting. I actually agree that this kid probably wasn't raised correctly, but now is not the time for condemnation of him or his family. If anything, you should want more information about possible suspects so you can be alert as you go about your daily business with a gunman on the lose. You should also try to be a little more sensitive to the family and the victim at this point. No one wants their flaws pointed out when they are already in a bad situation. That's like kicking a man when he's already down.

KingJames
KingJames 10/06/10 - 04:29 pm
One of my posts was pulled

One of my posts was pulled once for talking about the family members of a murderer. The email that I received from the AC said speculatory statements about anyone other than the accused is not allowed. I didn't think I'd said anything wrong, but as it was explained to me my post was outside of what is permitted by the policy. If you guys' posts are removed, you should get an email telling you why. Personally, I think removing posts makes subsequent comments that reference the first post seem out of place.

missapple113
missapple113 10/06/10 - 04:43 pm
UPDATE: This young man just

UPDATE: This young man just passed away....condolences to his family...and to corgimom just for u to go research that says alot about ur character....no one is perfect but know one deserves to be shot down in the street?.....because he and his father has a record does it means oh well he was trouble anyway lets kill em all....ur comment shows true ignorance....what is our city coming too... aug citizens running around acting like this is the freakin ok corral....im praying for a change and soon!

KingJames
KingJames 10/06/10 - 05:00 pm
My condolences to young Mr.

My condolences to young Mr. Turner's family and friends. May God grant you comfort during this tragic time. "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope," (Jeremiah 29:11). Simply put, we don't know God's plan for us, but we do know he will somehow give us hope in every situation.

dani
dani 10/06/10 - 05:04 pm
ANOTher TRAGEDY and does

ANOTher TRAGEDY and does anybody actually care about these kids?
the mandatory counseling didn't help him, did it. I wonder if the judge believed that it would.

Rainbow Johnson
Rainbow Johnson 10/06/10 - 05:15 pm
The room monitors efforts to

The room monitors efforts to sanitize these forums has gotten to be way over the top. Those people that post in here should understand that they're not going to agree with many posts and some might actually offend their sensibilities. That really is a poor excuse for complaining to the monitor for removal, lest you be on the receiving end of a post removal at some point. Ensuring these pages are full of artificially doctored posts to meet very subjective scrutiny is turning this place into a boring lovefest. Few people are saying what's REALLY on their minds. It's almost like posting a lie to me.

The posts should be challenging, robust and pointed.

This latest shooting of an augusta youth is both sad and but predictable. A 16 year old has NO business driving around town at 2 am on a school night, even if he wasn't in school.

WE, as parents are charged with the responsiblity to keep our children safe. The shooter is at fault but there's plenty of blame to go around.

My sympathies to the family and friends who have lost a loved one to the violent culture roaming freely on our streets. I have no idea why this kid was shot, but it could have happened to most anyone in this day and time. No one is safe on the streets of Augusta.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/06/10 - 06:47 pm
I am removing and saving my

I am removing and saving my post to a better time.

Rainbow Johnson
Rainbow Johnson 10/06/10 - 05:21 pm
Corgi: Thanks for your

Corgi: Thanks for your efforts to give us the "rest of the story". I appreciate knowing the backgrounds of these people. Anyone who suggests this information is not relevant should just disregard and move on.
Thanks

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 10/06/10 - 05:27 pm
Instead of recording your

Instead of recording your biases, just pray for the youth and the families involved.Trying to use this to make some point is pathetic.How about showing some genuine sympathy folks.