Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Cyclist injured after fight with men in car

A confrontation between an Augusta man riding a bicycle and a group of men in a car Wednesday left the cyclist with a broken leg and the driver in jail.

Robert Sims left his job at Still Water Tap Room after closing up about 2:30 a.m. He said a silver Honda Accord pulled up to him in the 400 block of Telfair Street and four men began yelling at him out the window.

A passenger then reached out the window and tried to push Sims off his bike, he told police.

"I kept telling them to stop," he said. "...They started laughing."

Sims, 41, of the 200 block of Telfair Street, admitted to hitting and breaking the car's windshield with his U-bolt bicycle lock.

The car chased him for three blocks before it slammed into his bike and sped off. Sims, who was not wearing a helmet, was left lying on the street.

The car's driver, Carl Edward Turner II, of the 1500 block of Cascades Point, was charged with driving under the influence, according to a Richmond County deputy's report.

Zachary Richardo Williams, of the 100 block of CNW Road in Beech Island, was arrested on an outstanding warrant, according to the report.

PeaceBWithU
PeaceBWithU 10/07/10 - 07:54 am
What is going ON??!! Really?

What is going ON??!! Really? Taunting and then running somebody down? A strong message needs to be sent by the justice department. Gene is lucky that he's not in the hospital bed next to Matt Burke. This is ridiculous. A person can't even ride home from work anymore!

PeaceBWithU
PeaceBWithU 10/07/10 - 08:17 am
I'm no lawyer, but is DUI the

I'm no lawyer, but is DUI the only charge that RCSD could come up with? Aren't there laws against using one's car as a WEAPON?! I don't know, ATTEMPTED HOMOCIDE maybe?!

run4yrlif
run4yrlif 10/07/10 - 09:02 am
Yeah...this is crazy. You

Yeah...this is crazy. You don't mess with Gene...

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/07/10 - 11:45 am
Swinging that U-bolt lock was

Swinging that U-bolt lock was a bad idea, even in self-defense. Better to stop, try to get the tag number while heading in the opposite direction as fast as possible.

Next time, get over on Greene street heading east in the westbound lane. Then they'd have to give chase on foot.

ridesbrd
ridesbrd 10/07/10 - 02:48 pm
uhhhh isn't that assault with

uhhhh isn't that assault with a deadly weapon?

MakeADifference
MakeADifference 10/07/10 - 03:55 pm
I can't believe there wasn't

I can't believe there wasn't an assault charge or attempted homicide, either! I'm glad Gene is ok.

hollisbradberry
hollisbradberry 10/07/10 - 05:17 pm
So glad Gene is ok. Can't

So glad Gene is ok. Can't believe those thugs didn't even get an aggravated assault charge.

flipa
flipa 10/07/10 - 05:19 pm
The driver should be charged

The driver should be charged with attempted murder.

corgimom
corgimom 10/07/10 - 08:14 pm
Booking Number 201000011388

Booking Number 201000011388

Full Name TURNER, CARL EDWARD
Arrest Date 10/06/2010
Race Black
Sex Male
Age 23 YEARS OLD
No. Charge Bond

1 D.U.I. ALCOHOL 1400

2 HOLD SUBJECT DO NOT RELEASE 0

3 AGGRAVATED ASSAULT-NON FAMILY-OTHER WEAPON 0

Offhand, if someone was trying to run me off the road, I wouldn't care diddly about breaking a windshield- I'd be up on the sidewalk and out of the road.

What would breaking a windshield do for me when I'm worried about being killed?

Something's odd about this.

Crabby Appleton
Crabby Appleton 10/07/10 - 09:23 pm
Countyman: The streets of

Countyman: The streets of Augusta are safe.
Feel free to roam about at will.
There's nothing to fear but feat itself.

Reality: Unless you have no choice, stay off the streets of Augusta.
It's sad you can't even be safe leaving your work place downtown.

Perhaps it's past time to enact a downtown curfew.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

v_fresh
v_fresh 10/08/10 - 10:55 am
Where do y'all see Gene in

Where do y'all see Gene in the article?

Glad that Mr. Sims is alright.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/09/10 - 04:22 am
Repost: Sorry my first post

Repost: Sorry my first post was to harsh in thinking the correct thing to do would be to call police when being assaulted and harassed and not escalate the chance of you getting hurt. Is that better? I was informed by Mr. Moore my first post was hateful and to post on some other site. lol I saw nothing hateful about my post and have seen others get onto victims far more than my common sense post. Bleeding hearts often confuse common sense with hatefulness. I have seen them allow horrid comments questioning the actions of a victim on other articles and they dont allow comments at all on stories with certain victims and other victims they do. I wonder what the criteria is for how they choose which victims get the privilege of being protected by the AC and which ones don't. Maybe its not a bleeding heart thing, I'm starting to think the AC conspiracy theorists are right. What a joke.

PeaceBWithU
PeaceBWithU 10/08/10 - 02:04 pm
Maybe the windshield wasn't

Maybe the windshield wasn't the target- maybe the intended target was the arm that was trying to push him off of his bike. I'm a very low-key person, but I don't think any of us know what we would do when we get a big dose of fear and adrenaline.

KSL
KSL 10/09/10 - 04:40 am
Gene? Robert?

Gene? Robert?

KSL
KSL 10/09/10 - 04:48 am
How stupid is this? You have

How stupid is this? You have an outstanding warrant on you and you do this? Why don't you just walk up to the jail and turn yourself in?

TK3
TK3 10/09/10 - 08:17 am
Bar manager closing up and

Bar manager closing up and riding bike downtown at 2AM unarmed is not something I would recommend as a safe or wise thing to do these days.

Augusta's ties to Liberia date back to 1836

Richmond County’s ties to West Africa date back to the 1830s, when plantation owner Richard Tubman wrote in his will that his slaves were to be offered freedom. More recently, Augustans have ...