Gunshot kills Aiken County man

Motive in homicide still undetermined

An Aiken County man died Friday after he was shot in the head outside a home-based recording studio in Petticoat Junction.

Timothy Wilson was a passenger in a car that came under fire around 2:30 a.m. in the 1800 block of Williston Road, according to Aiken County sheriff's Capt. Troy Elwell.

Elwell said there were at least two gunmen who came out of the woods surrounding the house. Three weapons were used.

Wilson was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he died at 4:45 p.m., said Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton.

Two other victims in the shooting told investigators that they were there to do some recording when the gunmen attacked and shot their vehicle several times.

One victim had a weapon at the time of the incident. Elwell said forensics would show whether it had been fired.

Deputies heard gunfire coming from the woods when they arrived at the home, but they were unable to find the source.

Williston Road was closed for about three hours while deputies and the bloodhound team searched the area.

The gunmen's getaway car could be a green Honda Civic, according to authorities.

Elwell said late Friday evening that a motive was still being established by investigators.

The most recent homicides in Aiken County before Friday took place Aug. 11 when two women, ages 75 and 38, were suffocated and then burned after their deaths. Investigators have arrested Franklin Wright, 55, in connection with their deaths and the severe beating of Jennie Hope, a Richmond County shopkeeper.

There have been 29 homicides in Richmond County since the beginning of the year, the most recent taking place Sept. 18.

3g
3g 09/24/10 - 08:20 am
Looks like the Aiken

Looks like the Aiken Gangstas' are stepping it up a bit , probably jealous of all the reporting on Augusta crime .

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 09/24/10 - 08:35 am
Recording music at 2:30 am?

Recording music at 2:30 am? Yea right.

sml1977
sml1977 09/24/10 - 08:49 am
This is really getting

This is really getting ridiculous. A shooting every night! This used to be a quiet place to live when I was growing up, however, that was 20 years ago.

ispy4u
ispy4u 09/24/10 - 08:52 am
I guess you have never

I guess you have never recorded music before? It's possible.

countyman
20082
countyman 09/24/10 - 09:52 am
What part of Aiken County did

What part of Aiken County did this happen in? Is this near the location where the guys was shot at the gas station earlier this week.

airbud7
airbud7 09/24/10 - 10:12 am
countyman/ it is

countyman/ it is 278@silverbluff rd area (Petticoat Junction) 278 is the same road as sandbar ferry rd... (about 4 miles outside beech island)

dwb619
dwb619 09/24/10 - 10:13 am
Petticoat Junction, roughly

Petticoat Junction, roughly half way between Beech Island and New Ellenton, on 278.

ruudvonbaron
ruudvonbaron 09/24/10 - 10:36 am
Wonder if the "victim" had a

Wonder if the "victim" had a permit for that concealed weapon he was carrying?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 09/24/10 - 11:02 am
I don't know about this

I don't know about this particular incident, but I have musician friends who record at odd hours of the morning. They think nothing of a 2:30am session. Some musicians think the sun is an enemy.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 09/24/10 - 11:05 am
I cannot tell you how many

I cannot tell you how many times I have been in the control room of a studio at 2:30, musicians are weird like that. I am told from sources close to Wilson that he is not a gang-banger.

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 09/24/10 - 11:15 am
I guess Aiken is taking the

I guess Aiken is taking the heat off of Augusta only for today. How many homicides has Aiken had so for?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/24/10 - 03:08 pm
Gangbangers should be

Gangbangers should be relocated to prison islands without anyone else there except each other. Build concrete shelters with basic furniture, dig wells and do regular drops of food, supplies and survival manuals. Pick up the sick and injured and take to a prison infirmary. Give the repentant the option of moving to a regular prison once each year. Move all prison gangbangers to the island.

Let them sort it out for themselves, and bury their own dead. It's time we used some effective deterrents for a change.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 09/24/10 - 07:56 pm
The assailants walked out of

The assailants walked out of cover and opened fire. One of the victims was armed but evidently packing iron didn't save him nor deter the assailants either. What say Yea Carrying Advocates?

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/24/10 - 08:40 pm
Gasp, I could bring up the

Gasp, I could bring up the Overstreet case. Would that be enough, or do you need more?

If an airbag or seatbelt doesn't save a life, I guess we should stop using those, too. I mean, if condoms aren't effective 100 percent of the time, let's get rid of those. Lifejackets didn't help much in the Titanic disaster, so no one needs them now...

By the way, gun laws didn't help the victim either...

corgimom
corgimom 09/24/10 - 09:52 pm
I'm sure that the one that

I'm sure that the one that was armed was positive nothing bad would ever happen because he was "carrying".

Very false sense of security.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 05:55 pm

athome
athome 09/25/10 - 02:01 am
So sad. Remember that a

So sad. Remember that a young man lost his life. He came from a VERY fine family with parents, siblings, and friends who loved him. They are loving, kind, good Christian people. Prayers are with the Wilson family.

KSL
KSL 09/25/10 - 02:26 am
What are you saying about

What are you saying about carrying, corgi? Hopefully not that carrying caused this.

nofrillls13
nofrillls13 09/25/10 - 06:31 am
I dont remember the Wilson

I dont remember the Wilson family as being fine christian family in fact I remember them as being trouble. I moved off of Beech Island Ave just to get my boys away from them. My sons couldn't even ride the bus without trouble from his older brother. The family refused to help me fix the problem between the boys. The school wouldn't help because he played football for the school. The area he was shot is is a high drug area. I don't think he belonged to any gang however when he was with his friends he acted like a thug. I am sorry he got killed but lets face it people. If you drive all day for a living you are more likely to be in an accident, if you hang out with trouble there is a higher chance you will be in trouble. Why did he have a gun. Look at the people he was with. troublemakers.

airbud7
airbud7 09/25/10 - 07:43 am
Taylor B I couldn't have said

Taylor B
I couldn't have said it better myself

draksig
draksig 09/25/10 - 09:45 am
A home based recording studo

A home based recording studo at 2:30 AM. meaning, he was going to someone's house at 2:30 in the morning. Wilson may not have been involved with a gang but his buddys may have been. This was obviously not a robbery gone bad or a random shooting but a planned killing.

corgimom
corgimom 09/25/10 - 12:56 pm
No, KSL, one of the victims

No, KSL, one of the victims had a gun- and it didn't do him a bit of good.

Rainbow Johnson
Rainbow Johnson 09/25/10 - 01:29 pm
Per countyman: Things are

Per countyman: Things are lovely in the CSRA.

yawningloudly
yawningloudly 09/25/10 - 02:16 pm
well corgi have you ever

disssman
disssman 09/25/10 - 02:42 pm
ispy4u. It is also possible

ispy4u. It is also possible to build a ladder to the moon. Hard, but possible.

princess
princess 09/25/10 - 03:08 pm
It amazes me that you all

It amazes me that you all have so many opinions about what happen. Instead of saying you are praying for the family for their lost. Regardless of what you may think about the family or the Timothy, he lost his life in a tragic way, and the family is grieving. His daughter will now have to grow up without him. Now, put yourself in their shoes because we are not exempt from anything like this happening to us or to someone we love. And to "nofrills13", I'm praying for you because you are still holding on to what the family did when they were "children". And all we know your boys could have been part of the trouble you keep talking about. But you forget you are able to go home and if they don't live with you, you are still able to call them and see how they are doing. The father, sisters, brothers, uncles, aunts, cousins or grandparents, won't be able to call "Timothy". Sorry, if it seem like I'm a little upset, that's because I am, because we as a nation need to stop with our opinion and do something about what's going on. Instead of focusing on the shortfalls of others, let's get our self prepared and ready to meet the "ULTIMATE KING"......."CHRIST".....Be Bless and do me a favor, if you can't post anything positive just "SHUT UP"... To the Wilson Family, you all are in my prayers, I am so sorry for the lost of your child, brother, cousin, nephew, father and friend. Just know God eyes is not close...He's still in control....Be Blessed Always.....

corgimom
corgimom 09/25/10 - 03:53 pm
"Now, put yourself in their

"Now, put yourself in their shoes because we are not exempt from anything like this happening to us or to someone we love."

I am a parent. I was not at recording studios at 2:30 in the morning when my son was young. I was at home with my child- because that was my responsibility as a parent. I also had to get up in the morning because I had a real paying job and had to take care of my child, and had no interest in running the streets all night long. My son only had one mother and he needed me more than I needed to be running the streets, going to recording studios, or hanging out with criminals.

While anyone can be the victim of an accident, this wasn't an accident. He may not have been the intended victim- but he chose to be there.

When you choose risky behavior and choose to run with bad people, you have to accept what happens.

God gave us free will and consciences and the ability to think and reason, and people can use it wisely as He intends- or not.

corgimom
corgimom 09/25/10 - 03:58 pm
"well corgi have you ever

"well corgi have you ever thought that if the guy had not had the gun the dudes may have killed EVERYONE"

Considering that nobody knows if the victim even fired his gun- and which victim the gun even belonged to- your post is bizarre.

nofrillls13
nofrillls13 09/25/10 - 05:40 pm
Princess- I am not holding on

Princess- I am not holding on to anything of the past but I have had to deal with Tim and his friends. You will see as this unfold that it is drug related. Tim may have a daughter but that doesnt make him a dad. A dad doesn't sell drugs. A dad doesn't steal. A dad doesnt pick on weak people. So please forgive me for my hard opinion. I will pray for his soul but only god can forgive him for all the wrong he has done in Beech Island. As far as my sons go I can assure you they are not a part of this trouble or any of the problems in this town. I think if you knew Tim you will know it was drug related and word around town is he ripped of his drug dealer. I just hope the sherriff gets them all and continues to clean up our area.

princess
princess 09/25/10 - 05:54 pm
Ok..tell me something...what

Ok..tell me something...what can God come back and judge us on....We are no better, we may have taken a different route in life, but that don't make us better....As you both have shown here today by standing on your soap box and condemning this man....As far as a real job, this young man has done a lot for his family to proud of him. Regardless of the fact he lost his mom at a young age, he still chose not to give up...Now as for the trouble you speak of today "nofrills", I was speaking about the many years ago when you chose to move your children away because you felt like the Wilson's was trouble. Where is the empathy, where is the love for all. And regardless if it was drug related, that young man lost his life and no one deserves that. You two can sit there and talk about what a dad is and the fact that you was not in a recording studio at that time of night, who cares....This was a young man who loved "MUSIC"....It showed in the CD that got released, because some of the songs he wrote....So, please don't past judgement on this young man......And "nofrills" you posts seem a little personal, so I'm not even going to continue this with you...I pray that you all will never have to face what this family has had to face. Not just loosing a mother some years ago, they had to bury their grandfather last year and now this young man. I don't care if he sold drugs, made drugs or ate the drugs, he didn't deserve to die...AND I PROMISE YOU THE DEVIL WILL PAY FOR THIS ONE....and all the other lives this will affect. Again, I will pray for you both because it seems like you both don't have empathy for no one, but again, if it was your child, brother, friend, cousin, nephew, you would want sympathy and empathy....Think back and trust me we don't have to think back very far, and look at what we have done that made God frown.....but yet he forgives us each time.....We need to do the same......Again, Wilson family, I'm on here to encourage each and everyone of you...Because I know you all are probably reading the comments, so disregard the ones that don't life you up and focus on the Glory God is going to get out this....Be Bless and hold your heads up high.....I pray God heal your hearts during this tragedy. JUST KNOW I GOT YOU ALL IN MY PRAYERS.....