Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Local homicide surge defies trend in U.S.

Augusta reached a grim milestone Saturday as the number of homicides for this year tied all of 2009.

The news comes as FBI statistics released Monday show that homicides for the nation last year fell to a level not seen in four decades.

The most recent FBI Uniform Crime Report, which compiles data submitted by police agencies across the nation, shows 15,241 homicides reported in 2009 -- the lowest since 1969, when 14,760 people were reported killed.

In Richmond County, the shooting death of 20-year-old Corey Garnett on Saturday marked the 26th homicide for 2010. By this time last year, there had been 20 homicides.

This year's number doesn't count the discovery of a Conyers, Ga., man's body found in Aiken in June, which Richmond County investigators have included in their totals of homicide cases. If James Thomas Mills, who went missing from Augusta on July 23, 2001, is added to the total, the number so far surpasses last year's.

The frequency and regularity of homicides, which peaked in July, have frustrated local investigators.

"The only thing I can tell you is we are struggling," said Maj. Ken Autry, who is in charge of the Richmond County Sheriff's Violent Crimes Division. Autry said July's total of eight homicides was unusual but not necessarily a gauge of how the year will turn out.

Capt. Scott Peebles said the violence has forced the sheriff's office to shift staff resources.

FBI numbers show a slight decline in violent crimes, rapes, robberies, aggravated assaults, larcenies, motor vehicle thefts and arsons in Richmond County in 2009 compared with 2008. Murders, property crimes and burglaries showed an increase.

Aiken County posted increases in all violent crime categories except rape. It was the same in Columbia County, where rape was the only violent crime that dropped, the data shows.

FBI Uniform Crime Report
Motor vehicle theft1,626329121
Arson6856

Source: FBI

Emerydan
Emerydan 09/14/10 - 01:05 am
And we wonder why Columbia

And we wonder why Columbia County continues to attract new residents.

redapples
redapples 09/14/10 - 04:14 am
Say what you want...the

Say what you want...the numbers don't lie.

corgimom
corgimom 09/14/10 - 04:33 am
Ooh, Countyman won't like

Ooh, Countyman won't like this.

I added up the numbers- somebody check this for me- I calculated that based on a population of 200,000, a citizen in RC has a 1 in 6 chance of being the victim of a crime.

And that doesn't include the crimes that aren't reported.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 09/14/10 - 04:33 am
Augusta-Richmond County is a

Augusta-Richmond County is a subsidy city and the statistics show that subsidy cities aren't falling off in homicides. While many cities are taking advantage of the current economic downturn to turn away from subsidy programs (that enslave their populations and encourages young people to avoid their responsibilities until they're enslaved) Augusta just keeps on expanding it's subsidy base. The unintended consequence, among other things, is an increase in the number of people who don't value human life, theirs or anyone else's. This attitude leads to homicide more often then not having this attitude. The result? A direct relationship to the number of people with this attitude and the number of homicides.
As the number goes up in one group, it goes up in the other.
Next year, with no changes, the number will increase again. Who's surprised?

3g
3g 09/14/10 - 05:26 am
JC - your subsidy theory is

JC - your subsidy theory is very plausible , so , what's your solution ?

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 03:55 pm

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 09/14/10 - 06:40 am
3g, the solution is a heavy

3g, the solution is a heavy lift past old established habits with federal support. It would involve a MUCH tougher standard to qualify for subsidy programs. It would involve teaching a whole new attitude to the subsidy culture, which would not be pretty.(personal responsibility and accountability)
Since most subsidy programs could be called enabling programs, some serious changes need to be made.
Unfortunately, the people administering the money for subsidy programs are the same people that profit from the votes bought with the programs.
The solution will, obviously, be a heavy lift.

There is a one generation fix, but how likely is the "closed reservation" approach?

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 09/14/10 - 06:54 am
cliff don't for get one

cliff don't for get one thing, education, not "school education" but a constant program to warn all those who are thinking about breaking the law that the consequences will be swift and severe...then back it up by building bigger and more prisons and handing out extremely long sentences until those who committ these crimes are released back into society after such a long time they are rendered no longer a threat to society

MartinezMother
MartinezMother 09/14/10 - 06:57 am
JC - I have a different

JC - I have a different question--can you provide a link for your statement or anything else to back it up? It sounds plausible enough, but some quick searches seemed to indicate it might not be so. Here's a Reuters article on the topic that might be interesting to you: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60613K20100107

yougotapointthere
yougotapointthere 09/14/10 - 07:12 am
Cliff....gotta give it to you

Cliff....gotta give it to you there on your 5:33 Post. I never post on here because I believe that most comments, even those which may be well informed, diminish in value with the thinly veiled racist undertones. However, I tend to agree with you regarding the young people and lack of responsibility as a direct correlation in the increase in homicides in the Augusta Area. As a Young Man myself from the South Augusta "subsidy" class as you call it, the neighborhood fostered a culture of criminal activity as being socially acceptable. I myself fell victim, however it only takes one time to understand that jail is not the place to be, so I saved my money and high tailed it the hell outta there. Frankly though by the time myself or my peers reached high school, even the teachers had bought into the "myths" that we could become nothing more than criminals, and thus wasted no time trying to educate us, and the smart ones were just labeled "manipulative". I place no blame on no one, however would state that just as parents need to be parents, and as individuals we must take responsibility for actions and our impact on the community, it is equally important that teachers do not give up and not forget to teach.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 09/14/10 - 07:35 am
My admiration and compliments

My admiration and compliments to 'yougotapoint' - how wonderful it would be if there were more young people like you! "Grading" your letter - you should receive an A+!! From a 79 year old grandmother who has seen those better and more pleasant times!

3g
3g 09/14/10 - 07:41 am
JC - I agree it would be an

JC - I agree it would be an EXTREMELY " heavy lift " to get people's attitudes to change . It is difficult to understand how able-bodied people believe they are entitled to free Government benefits .
I recently was laid off ( workforce reduction ) and collected 1 ONE unemployment check . I then decided to not jump through GA DOL hoops in order to continue to receive free money . I am qualified to be a disabled person , but do not desire to be supported by Gov't , I could easily qualify for EBT , but again , I was raised to support myself or ask for help from family and friends .

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/14/10 - 07:44 am
We have for so long told

We have for so long told children they can be anything they want to be. Now, we know that is not so. Why not tell the child "be all that YOU can be", don't place a burden on them by asking for more than they can possibly achieve.

3g
3g 09/14/10 - 07:46 am
Jc - agreed - EVERY applicant

Jc - agreed - EVERY applicant for Gov't benefits should have to pass drug test and prove somehow ( written/oral test ) that they are willing to take personal responsibility for their actions .
Lifelong - I believe we already have more than enough prison space to house violent criminals , problem is , that space is being occupied by DRUG USERS / ADDICTS who do not belong in prison , but rather a medical facility that can treat their DISEASE .

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/14/10 - 07:50 am
yougotapointthere....I must

yougotapointthere....I must say congratulations for your well written post and also for the courage and intelligents to rise above adversity. I wish more had your fortitude.

MartinezMother, I went to the site you posted and this article refers to a decline in crime in 2009 from 2008. As for 2010, which should be our concern, and in relation to Richmond County, crime has increased. No matter if it's classified as a violent crime or crime against property, according to the stats listed above, Richmond County is not a very safe place to live and doesn't seem to be improving.

3g
3g 09/14/10 - 07:51 am
Maggiemae - if you put a

Maggiemae - if you put a limit on the possibilities of achievement for children , we will continue to raise a society which lacks personal responsibility .

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 04:02 pm

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/14/10 - 08:00 am
3q, is it not true that you

3q, is it not true that you can not be anything you want to be. I might can carry a tune but I'll never be a famous singer, I might be able to change a tire or replace the oil in a car, but I'll never be a mechanic, I might love children but don't have the endurance to be a teacher. I don't think maggiemae is putting limits on achievement. I think she is saying be realistic in what you expect, encourage children in the right direction where they can succeed, don't set them up for failure. (correct me if I'm wrong maggiemae in my observation of your post)

follower 09/14/10 - 08:05 am
Countyman, as I said

Countyman, as I said yesterday, you owe Corgi an apology, and from the "testy" reply to my post, you owe me one as well. Violent crime is up in Augusta. Still, I am not bashing the city/county. I want it to flourish. But sticking your head in the sand as to facts will not solve the problem.

What needs to be done to have more young people think as "yougotapointthere"? This young man understands the only way to get somewhere in life is to distance himself from those that would bring him down. I already mentor over half a dozen young people. I would encourage others to do the same. It won't be a "program" that does it, but individuals that are willing to give of their time to one person at a time. Best of all, it won't take government money to make that happen.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/14/10 - 08:11 am
A solution....when people

A solution....when people have to "work" for food there is less time for trouble-making....some say where are the jobs..good point. I say how can 12 million Mex stay in this country w/o a job...take what you can get to feed your family.
We should demand every child get a good education..no ifs-ands-butts.

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/14/10 - 08:55 am
InChristLove..You said it so

InChristLove..You said it so well. Thank you.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 04:04 pm

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 09/14/10 - 09:11 am
Move to Charlotte!

Move to Charlotte!

countyman
countyman 09/14/10 - 09:37 am
Did I read the same

Did I read the same article...

Please tell me where it says violent crime is up in Augusta? The article said the number of murders are the same as last year?

Violent crime includes rapes, assaults, murders, etc..

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/14/10 - 09:31 am
Totally agree with JC and

Totally agree with JC and Yougotapoint. The subsidy enslavement has racial overtones only because of which families were the poorest and most in need of assistance when the federal government decided to institutionalize charity.

No one with a heart or brain could impugn our national desire to help our fellow Americans who lived in poverty, especially in the face of what so many families had suffered. The motive behind welfare was good if ridiculously naive, and it really was an attempt at a kind of restitution, as well as being intended as an out-stretched hand to pull everyone up to the same platform for launching successful lives.

At least initially.

The law of unintended consequences came into play because governments, which are essentially blind to human nature, robbed poor husbands/fathers of their rightful place within their families.

The trade-off was devastating from the very beginning: a pittance every month in place of the head of the family. Fathers were no longer allowed to teach and show their own sons how to be men, how earn respect from other men, how to lead, and by example, how to treat women with respect and love.

It is the in nature of boys always to strive to be respected as men. If the traditional means for achieving that in society are taken away from them, they will choose other methods. If society denies them a place of respectability, they form gangs. And male gangs are fueled by testosterone and anger, which devolves into force and violence. What else would we expect them to do? Be content to live under the authority of women?

That will never happen. And the result is rising violent crime.

The destruction of poor families in exchange for membership in an institutionalized underclass was a moral lapse worse than out-right slavery, IMO. At least the slaves knew they were being enslaved, which is not the case now.

I can't imagine how to fix this mess now, because all the structures are gone that might have operated as nets or fallback positions. I don't believe it even is fixable, and the "heavy life" probably will be apocalyptic.

countyman
countyman 09/14/10 - 10:04 am
Follower.... I don't owe

Follower.... I don't owe anybody a apology..

From the article...

''FBI numbers show a slight decline in violent crimes, rapes, robberies, aggravated assaults, larcenies, motor vehicle thefts and arsons in Richmond County in 2009 compared with 2008. Murders, property crimes and burglaries showed an increase''.

''Aiken County posted increases in all violent crime categories except rape. It was the same in Columbia County, where rape was the only violent crime that dropped, the data shows''.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 04:05 pm

countyman
countyman 09/14/10 - 10:48 am
I notice some people from the

I notice some people from the suburbs are talking about Richmond County. When the article clearly says there was a decline in violent crime. Rapes, Robberies, Aggravated Assaults, Larcenies, Motor theft vehicles, and Arson are down in RC...

While the article said Aiken and Columbia posted increases in every violent crime category except rape...

mary dits
mary dits 09/14/10 - 09:44 am
is this stat going to show up

is this stat going to show up in deke's weekly facebook address?

countyman
countyman 09/14/10 - 10:02 am
Augusta Citizen. Where does

Augusta Citizen. Where does it say violent crime is up? I didn't ask how many murders in RC this year?

Actually there are 25 murders I believe. The chronicle article on the apartment shooting said 27. I think we had 23 plus the train depot and apartment shooting would make 25...

Either way, violent crime rankings are based on rapes, robberies, murders, etc. Violent crime is NOT based solely on the number of murders...

If violent crime is up? Please explain why there were already 49 less armed & other robberies as of June compared to last year?

Storm brings heavy rain, property damage reported

The National Weather Service in Columbia says the threat of severe weather has left the Augusta area, but not before leaving behind some property damage Sunday.