Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Deputies charge men sitting outside bank

Deputies interrupted a "robbery conspiracy" after they noticed a suspicious truck idling outside a bank for 20 minutes Tuesday.

The deputies were patrolling west Augusta when they noticed a blue Toyota backed into a parking space outside the Bank of America at Washington Road and Center West Parkway.

Four men inside the car were watching the comings and goings at the bank, but no one got out to do any business.

They were pulled over after leaving the bank, and deputies say they found ski masks, a firearm and ammunition in the car.

Charged with attempted armed robbery and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime are:

- Rahiem Bradford, 24, of Grovetown

-Kevin Alexander II, 19, of Hephzibah

-Kevin Cohick, 21, of Hephzibah

-Joseph Foote IV, 21, of Hephzibah.

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/01/10 - 06:12 am
Excellent police work!

Excellent police work!

airbud7
airbud7 09/01/10 - 07:01 am
4 men in a truck? why not

4 men in a truck? why not look for work? If a mexican can jump the border, walk 1000 miles, and still find a job on monday morning why can't these men? and they have a truck w/gas money?

curly123053
curly123053 09/01/10 - 07:25 am
I wonder whose gas money they

I wonder whose gas money they had? And at their ages I would not be surprised if they were still living at home with mom and pop. Either way this was good alert police work. When officers know their beat these kind of busts can happen.

corgimom
corgimom 09/01/10 - 07:52 am
AC, 5/3/2007

AC, 5/3/2007 Indictments-Rahiem Alexander Bradford, 20, of the 2300 block of Springhouse Lane, possession of a firearm with an altered identification mark, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and misdemeanor counts of driving while license suspended and no headlights

Looks like the deputy knew Rahiem and had a pretty good idea what he was up to.

getalife
getalife 09/01/10 - 08:01 am
Great police work, maybe

Great police work, maybe saved someones life, plus got four lowlifes off the street!!

NotReally21
NotReally21 09/01/10 - 08:06 am
Here again I blame Obama for

Here again I blame Obama for this, no one else, he's at fault for everything bad in the US. These are SMALL things he's responsible for.

bdouglas
bdouglas 09/01/10 - 08:13 am
I'm glad they were caught

I'm glad they were caught before they had a chance to try anything, but how can they be charged with "attempted armed robbery" and "possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime" when they hadn't done anything yet and were only sitting in the truck? If the firearm wasn't properly stowed per state law, then maybe that could be charged, but how on earth can they be charged with the other? If I have a black beanie in my car and legally stow my gun in the trunk I can be arrested for attempted armed robbery if I happen to be parked outside of a bank?

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/01/10 - 08:17 am
Great job RCSD deputies. Now

Great job RCSD deputies. Now if prosecutor and the judge will just back you up (which they won't). My guess is these scum will be home with mommy for dinner. They have probably already decided that bank robbing is above their level of competence and that they will just go back to regular muggings, B & E, and home invasions.

airbud7......Good point about the Mexicans. We should keep the Mexicans and use the extra income tax revenue to build more prisons for dirtbags like this. At least the Mexicans will work if given the opportunity and that is more than you can say for our local specimens.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/01/10 - 08:21 am
notreally...You might be glad

notreally...You might be glad they saw this in the making....could have been one of your family members in that bank...just saying.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/01/10 - 08:28 am
I agree that it looks

I agree that it looks suspicious but I have to go with bdouglas on this one. How can they legally be charged with attempted armed robbery? The gun charge might stick but having ski mask in the truck? It's all circumstantial. You can't prove they were going to rob the bank, only that it looked that way. Either way at least something scared them off and no one was hurt.

steelermoose1
steelermoose1 09/01/10 - 08:32 am
They can be charged because

They can be charged because after they were pulled over and taken to CID, they were each interrogated and at least one of them told investigators what they were planning. Thats how they can be charged.

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 09/01/10 - 08:56 am
I guess they saw "Takers"

I guess they saw "Takers" this weekend and tried their luck

ddfowler
ddfowler 09/01/10 - 08:57 am
notreally21 you are really

notreally21 you are really not that intelligent either...I guess you blame President Obama for that too ah! I guess your parents had nothing to do with it.

benzero
benzero 09/01/10 - 09:01 am
I completely agree with

I completely agree with bdouglas. That is VERY suspect. So if I think about how I'd love to sleep with the hot chick walking by am I in danger of being arrested for attempted rape? If I happen to have my pocketknife am I suspected of assault? Just because they were thinking about doing something doesn't mean they did it. This is a scary article.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 09/01/10 - 09:14 am
Hey, wheres their pics?

Hey, wheres their pics?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/01/10 - 09:29 am
Tell me something

Tell me something folks.....do you think they were playing a game of cards, sitting in the car while waiting for some chick to get off work? Just happened to have a ski mask in case the chick wanted to go a nice ski lodge...yeh that's it!

albertoli
albertoli 09/01/10 - 09:44 am
corgimom, nice job. rahiem

corgimom, nice job. rahiem was indicted, was he convicted? what was he doing on the street?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/01/10 - 09:54 am
Sure they could be convicted

Sure they could be convicted of conspiracy to commit bankrobbery if one of them "talked."

But I do know a physician friend who was waiting in the bank parking lot to meet a friend who was driving into town. The bank employees called the Columbia County Sheriff's Office and they came and questioned him at length and told him to move far away from the bank. So mistakes can happen.

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 09/01/10 - 10:12 am
Riverman's right. They were

Riverman's right. They were probably there to meet his physician friend.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 09/01/10 - 10:27 am
I'm no fan of the RCSD, but

I'm no fan of the RCSD, but in this instance they seem to have handled this just right. Managed not to turn this into a 5 o'clock news special with helicopter gunships circling overhead and barricades around the square.

Riverman, you appear to have made other poster's point; your physician friend WAS questioned. Once his reason was checked out, he was released. No guns, no dogs, no "Cops" drama. He had no bad intent --unlike these men-- and was asked to leave private property. Just how then do you conclude from this, "... mistakes can happen..?"

Frankly, my props go out to the peace officer who had to walk up to that vehicle with four men, possibly armed for a robbery.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/01/10 - 11:04 am
"Riverman's right. They were

"Riverman's right. They were probably there to meet his physician friend."

Haha...givemeabreak guys.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 09/01/10 - 02:50 pm
Ski masks in the middle of a

Ski masks in the middle of a Georgia summer?

Sweet son
Sweet son 09/01/10 - 03:20 pm
Charge them with the most and

Charge them with the most and expect charges to be reduced somewhere in the judicial system

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.