Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Coroner says burned body was Augusta woman

An Augusta woman was identified today as the homicide victim whose burned body was found Aug. 11 on Old Storm Branch Road in Aiken County.

Shalamar Nicole Byrd, 38, was identified Saturday as the dead woman found Aug. 11 in Aiken County.  Georgia Department of Corrections
Georgia Department of Corrections

Shalamar N. Byrd's brother recognized her from a sketch released this week by the Aiken County Sheriff's Office and contacted authorities, Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said in an e-mail this evening.

Investigators confirmed his suspicions by comparing a partial print from the body to other fingerprints belonging to Byrd, Carlton said.

That test was further backed up by a DNA test between Byrd's genetic material and her mother's. The results were released Saturday by state investigators, Carlton said.

"This investigation into identifying Ms. Byrd was a joint effort with many agencies and although we are saddened for the family, we are pleased that all agencies worked together," Carlton said.

Byrd was the second victim found burned the night of Aug. 11. Before Byrd was discovered by firefighters extinguishing a brush fire, Aiken Public Safety firefighters found Yana Schenker, 75, dead in her home on the 100 block of Paddock Bend.

Carlton previously determined both women died of asphyxiation before their bodies were burned.

No arrests have been made in either death.

According to the Georgia Department of Corrections, Byrd was convicted of theft in Richmond County in 2005 and robbery in Burke County in 2004. The state's Web site says she was incarcerated from 2006 to 2008.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/28/10 - 06:42 pm
All of you Naysayers that

All of you Naysayers that joked about the sketch, how does that crow taste? I am sorry for the family's loss.

rdy2snapp
rdy2snapp 08/28/10 - 06:46 pm
still wondering why she was

still wondering why she was wearing Yana's Schenker's ring. Were they friends or was she part of a burglary and then killed by the people she was with? She was convicted when she was 24 for burglary "for the record" say's. I guess you never know. Hopfully somone will come forward so the family can have peace..God Bless the family.

OhWell
OhWell 08/28/10 - 07:03 pm
rdy2snapp according to the

rdy2snapp according to the Georgia Department of Corrections website she also had a robbery conviction in Burke County in 2004.

Emerydan
Emerydan 08/28/10 - 07:11 pm
ispy.. are you the poor

ispy.. are you the poor excuse for an artist responsible for that first sketch? I'm sure the second sketch was what got the attention of the brother. That first one was just god awful.

curly123053
curly123053 08/28/10 - 07:47 pm
Hopefully now we will get

Hopefully now we will get questions on just who did these 2 killings.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 08/28/10 - 09:20 pm
Now its just a "very short"

Now its just a "very short" matter of time before "we get answers" and they get the scum bags that killed these 2 women. I doubt it will take a Rocket Scientist to figure out this one! Wonder why it took sooo long for anyone to report the sister missing? Sounds fishy to me. Hope they get the death penalty!

Emerydan
Emerydan 08/28/10 - 09:53 pm
well I do see a slight

well I do see a slight resemblance with the second sketch. But that first sketch looked nothing like this woman. Hopefully now they can catch the creeps who did this.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/28/10 - 10:11 pm
Emerydan, No I am not the

Emerydan, No I am not the artist. Neither was I the insensitive clown(s) that had smart behind comments. Were you one of them? How do you know whether or not the same artist did both sketches

iletuknow
iletuknow 08/28/10 - 10:31 pm
There is also the possibility

There is also the possibility that the "Naysayers" were the reason this woman was identified due to the justified critique of the first sketch facilitating a better second attempt.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/29/10 - 07:10 am
Whatever makes you feel

Whatever makes you feel better.

Emerydan
Emerydan 08/29/10 - 10:52 am
I can see a resemblance with

I can see a resemblance with the second sketch.. glad they got someone to redo it so the face was recognizable to someone.

Cadence
Cadence 08/29/10 - 02:42 pm
I'm glad she has been

I'm glad she has been identified. She had such a pretty name.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/29/10 - 02:55 pm
No matter what the critique

No matter what the critique of the sketches was or wasn't, the discussion brought additional attention to the matter and I hope it contributed to the determination of the woman's identity. I hope the killer is brought to justice.

Reannan
Reannan 08/29/10 - 06:28 pm
Glad to see that an identity

Glad to see that an identity has been obtained. I am a bit confused, however... where is the prominent jaw line and reddish-blonde hair?

Evans Ga 2010