Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

2-year-old injured last week dies at hospital

A 2-year-old boy taken to the hospital unconscious last week died about 4 p.m. Wednesday at Medical College of Georgia Hospital, said Richmond County Assistant Coroner Johnny McDonald.

The boy's stepfather, Darian Thomas, 20, of the 3500 block of Shadybrook Drive, was arrested last week on suspicion of child cruelty, and the charge will likely be upgraded to murder, McDonald said.

Thomas took the child to the hospital and reportedly told a deputy the boy had run into a wall three days before. His eyes had swollen, but he showed no other ill effects until Aug. 18 , when he wouldn't wake up , according to a sheriff's report.

da labor guy
da labor guy 08/26/10 - 04:42 am
You're so outraged by the way

You're so outraged by the way they are suposedly treating the stepdad. Where is the outrage for the baby? Why aren't you angered at the loss of an innocent life at the hands of a "parent"?

WAG
WAG 08/26/10 - 06:20 am
Futhermore where is the real

Futhermore where is the real dad?

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 08/26/10 - 07:10 am
Who cares if they are

Who cares if they are underclass??? The poor baby was injured, then died as a result. Where is the sympathy for the child, justus? I dare say if the stepdad was a white man, you would be the first to throw stones at him.

cparker
cparker 08/26/10 - 07:21 am
The stepfather should have

The stepfather should have been arrested immediately with the type of injuries explained. This is why young people should not have children at irresponsible ages or circumstances. A 20 year old stepfather sounds foolish to me. If my 20 year old son comes home and tells me he was dating someone with children I would tell him to run like heck. At 20 years old, he would rather be in the mall, playing Madden 2009, or playing basketball somewhere. I know for sure he is not responsible enough to watch a baby all day long, especially not someone else's children. I wouldn't let my kids watch one another, I used after school care because they never seemed responsible enough to babysit one another. They could never explain things being broken or missing even at home. Children simply shouldn't have children!!

CS2008
CS2008 08/26/10 - 07:25 am
I ask that you not judge a

I ask that you not judge a situation that you are cleary not fully informed about. As a member of the family to the victim and his mother i ask you to think before you speak. An innocent life has been taken and you are worried about social status? Enough hasn't even been released for you to assume anything about anyone but the accused. Please again i ask you to leave the ignorant comments yourself in this time af grief for all who loved our baby! Thank you

fastgunz7
fastgunz7 08/26/10 - 07:43 am
cs2008, I am so sorry for

cs2008, I am so sorry for your loss. May GOD comfort you and the family of this precious angel during this time of grief!

Jillian
Jillian 08/26/10 - 07:54 am
How many times have we read

How many times have we read an article this summer about young children dying because the adult's responsible for them have neglected to do their basic duty and give them proper care??

I am sick of reading about this happening! kILL those adult's they exact same way they killed these precious innocent children.

ripjones
ripjones 08/26/10 - 08:19 am
CS2008 - My thoughts and

CS2008 - My thoughts and prayers are with your family. CParker, I tend to agree with what you said, and yet there are 15 and 16 year old girls that baby sat our son, and heck baby sat me, when I was little. I just don't think that guys are good baby sitters, since we don't have the mother instinct. If it is proven that Darian did abuse/kill the child, he should be at the very least jailed, and probably taken down. BTW: If the injury happened three days ago, the mom should've surely stepped up. I think I smell abuse, plain and simple.

john
john 08/26/10 - 08:38 am
awful

awful

happychimer
19538
happychimer 08/26/10 - 08:44 am
It breaks my heart to hear

It breaks my heart to hear about a child injured or murdered by a parent or step parent.People PLEASE if you suspect someone of child abuse, report it. Get involved. You might save a child's life.

Newsreader
Newsreader 08/26/10 - 08:47 am
My prayers and thoughts for

My prayers and thoughts for the family of this child. May their God comfort them and provide grace to ease their suffering. As for those responsible for the acts causing the child to suffer and then die, I wish you equal treatment. Justice will prevail, I hope.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/26/10 - 09:06 am
May this precious baby be

May this precious baby be received by his heavenly Father. My condolences to all who loved him.

Bubbalicious
Bubbalicious 08/26/10 - 09:19 am
May God have mercy on the

May God have mercy on the family's souls. This little angel will never suffer again.

stillamazed
stillamazed 08/26/10 - 10:10 am
What about the initial

What about the initial hospital visit, did they do the proper test to see if the child could possibly have a hemorrhage? I pray for this child and his family and you are right CS2008, social status should not matter people are to quick to judge. this man should also be innocent until proven otherwise, none of us were there and don't know what happened, maybe he did do this but that is for the courts to decide. It always amazes me how people on here always judge based on race or what side of town people live in.

bettyboop
bettyboop 08/26/10 - 10:28 am
I am supposing justus spew

I am supposing justus spew his racial filth once again with out thinking...............prayers for the family of this little angel and may Gods enduring love be your strength.

De De
De De 08/26/10 - 11:41 am
You know the more I read some

You know the more I read some of the coments that were made. What diference does race, class or anthing else play a part into this. A situation like this happens in all races and a classes as some of you say. Until you know what really happened to this child, please just pray for the family and stop trying to make something out of this, that is not. They have enough to go through without reading dumb comments. So, to all you we ask that you pray for us as we will be praying for all of you.

Evans Ga 2010
Evans Ga 2010 08/26/10 - 12:58 pm
This devil should never be

This devil should never be able to hurt an innocent child agian. This story makes me so mad and upset. And his story about the child running into a wall 3 days beforehand, well I hope when someone runs this guy up against the wall in prison he see's just a bit of the flashback this poor boy had to endure. This is just disgusting.

mojoyful
mojoyful 08/26/10 - 01:27 pm
There are no words to

There are no words to describe the neglect, and abuse this child has endured. Thank God! He decided to take this child away from the suffering, affliction, and abuse he encountered in all the 2 years of life on this earth. A child should feel loved, and protected not the pain and suffering this poor baby had to deal with. NO CONSCIENCE. I am sure someone has noticed the abuse this child was going through and just fail to step-up and confront the problem. At 1 year old this baby had a broken leg which should have been investigated; however, child protective services is not 100%, but unfortunate for sake of the child. We need to come up with a better system of keeping these babies safe. All involved should be punished, not just the person inflicting pain, but those who watch and say nothing.

urright
urright 08/26/10 - 02:01 pm
I hope the mother knows that

I hope the mother knows that there is no such thing as a "lucid interval" and that the child could not have been dying for three days in front of her eyes. He did something to that child and immediately he went unconcious. I pray that the mother finds some kind of peace in her life. I'm praying for her and the family.

SC88fan
SC88fan 08/26/10 - 05:10 pm
I pray for the child. This is

I pray for the child. This is a horrible crime that has been done to this child. I hope that "whoever" did this to this child pays!!!