Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Arrests in 2 homicides

Two men have been arrested in two separate homicides this summer, according to Richmond County sheriff's Capt. Scott Peebles.

Back | Next
Andre Maurice Jackson, shown, and Marcus Demitrius Tyler have been charged in two killings from June and July.   Special
Special

Another man's charges of first-degree child cruelty were upgraded to murder after his 2-year-old stepson died Wednesday.

Andre Maurice Jackson and Marcus Demitrius Tyler, both 29, have been charged with the slayings of L.V. Wilson III on June 28 and Janee Jquanda Johnson on July 2.

Deputies were dispatched to Wilson's home at 1926 Haynie Drive after receiving a 911 hang-up call.

His body was found outside a neighbor's home.

Investigators think Wilson, 38, was running for help when he collapsed and died. His car was stolen and recovered later that evening in a vacant lot.

Autopsy results found Wilson was killed by an injury to the head. Peebles said robbery was the motive.

Johnson's body was found inside her M.M. Scott apartment at 825 Spruce St. Friends called authorities after she didn't answer her door and hadn't been seen for several days.

Peebles said Johnson, 27, had been stabbed numerous times but would not discuss a motive. There is evidence to suggest that Johnson knew her attackers, he said.

Jackson and Tyler were already in the Richmond County jail. Both men were charged with two counts of murder and two counts of possession of a knife during the commission of a crime.

In the death of 2-year-old Keontrez Demitrius Sherman, his stepfather, Darian Xavier Thomas, 20, of the 3500 block of Shadybrook Drive, had been held on charges of cruelty to children in the first degree since Aug. 19.

Keontrez was admitted to Medical College of Georgia Hospital on Aug. 18 after Thomas called 911 reporting the boy was unresponsive.

The child was on life support until 4 p.m. Wednesday when he died.

Medical experts said Keontrez's injuries were consistent with abuse and shaken baby syndrome, according to Peebles. Thomas told deputies the boy had run into a wall several days before, he said.

Killings in Augusta area since June

The 17 homicide victims since June 19 and an update on police efforts to catch their killers:

CALVIN DAVIS, 38

Davis was found in the Economy Inn at the 3000 block of Deans Bridge Road with numerous gunshot wounds on June 19. Timothy Gregory Cain, 30, turned himself in to authorities.

RALPH AND TRUDIE GORDON, BOTH IN THEIR 80S

The couple were found June 20 stabbed numerous times in their home on Ninth Street in Waynesboro. Tony O. Grubbs, 41, has been charged.

L.V. WILSON III, 38

Wilson was found outside a neighbor's home in the 1900 block of Haynie Drive after a 911 hang-up call on June 28. Andre Maurice Jackson and Marcus Demitrius Tyler, both 29, have been charged.

JANEE JQUANDA JOHNSON

Johnson was found stabbed to death in her apartment in the 800 block of Spruce Street on July 2. Neighbors had grown concerned after not seeing her for several days. Andre Maurice Jackson and Marcus Demitrius Tyler, both 29, are being held in connection to the slaying.

DARNELL LORENZO BROWN, 19

Brown was shot in the head during a July 4 barbecue on the 1900 block of Second Avenue. Two others, ages 19 and 12, were also shot. Jerome Jerrod "Dirt" Sturgis, 22, was charged July 14.

JERAMIE ANTHONY HAMMONDS, 20, AND KAYLA MARIE WELLS, 19

The couple's bodies were found July 5 in a wooded area off Glenn Hills Drive with multiple gunshot wounds.

No arrests have been made.

GENE GOODE BAILEY, 84

Bailey, who was in the final stages of dementia, was found in her home at the 3200 block of Dresden Way on July 16, suffocated with a plastic bag. Authorities labeled her death a mercy killing. Her husband, retired surgeon Henry Wright Bailey, 84, was charged.

DEANGELO RONDELLE HUDGINS, 25

Hudgins, a Fort Gordon military police officer, died after being shot in the chest on July 18 in the 5000 block of Sanctuary Drive. Erik Albert Williams Jr., 20, and Edwin Manuel Cruz Jr., 21, were charged. Five others are charged with making false statements to police.

DAVID LEE JOHNSON, 23

Johnson was found in his Sunset Villa apartment in the 1700 block of Essie McIntyre Boulevard on July 21 after being stabbed in the chest. His wife, Alicia Washington Johnson, 35, was charged. The couple had a history of domestic violence.

ERIC DALE PHILIPS, 21

Philips' body was found in Meadowlark Park on July 21 with gunshot wounds. Marcus Darnell Richardson, 26, turned himself in to authorities July 23.

MISTY WEEGAR, 41

Weegar's body was found in her home at the 300 block of High Meadows Place in Grovetown on Aug. 11. She had been beaten and stabbed several times. Michael Todd Williams, 40, was charged. Williams and Weegar had been in a relationship for around eight months.

YANA SCHENKER, 75

Schenker's body, burned beyond recognition, was found Aug. 11 in her home at the 100 block of Paddock Bend in Aiken. Aiken County authorities are searching for suspects in the woman's death, which they think might be linked to another burned body found the same day on Old Storm Branch Road.

UNKNOWN

Aiken County authorities found the burned body of a young white woman after responding to a brush fire Aug. 11 on Old Storm Branch Road.

PATRICIA BURLEY, 54

Burley's body was discovered Thursday in a wooded area at the 600 block of Hall Street. She had been strangled. Corey Smith, 29, was charged.

KEONTREZ DEMITRIUS SHERMAN, 2

Keontrez died Wednesday after suffering injuries consistent with abuse and shaken baby syndrome. His stepfather, Darian Xavier Thomas, 20, was charged with murder.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/26/10 - 03:40 pm
Thanks.

Thanks.

lmckie60
lmckie60 08/26/10 - 05:42 pm
it's sad whenever someone's

it's sad whenever someone's life is cut short, for any reason, but, let's not forget that these men are innocent until proven guilty.

woodymeister
woodymeister 08/26/10 - 05:44 pm
lmckie60 - go away.....

lmckie60 - go away.....

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/26/10 - 06:41 pm
lmckie60, no rational person

lmckie60, no rational person has forgotten that.

LANEYLADY
LANEYLADY 08/27/10 - 04:31 am
IM SO SAD THAT THEY HAD TO

IM SO SAD THAT THEY HAD TO FIND MS.PAT DEAD,BECAUSE SHE WAS A SWEET LADY WHO DIDNT DESERVE THIS TO HAPPEN TO HER.. I SEND MY PRAYS TO HER FAMILY,AND FRIENDS..

LANEYLADY
LANEYLADY 08/27/10 - 04:32 am
I HOPE THEY BEAT THE CRAP OUT

I HOPE THEY BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THAT LAME MAN WHO KILLED THAT 2 YEAR OLD ANGEL..

LANEYLADY
LANEYLADY 08/27/10 - 04:35 am
HOW CAN YOU TAKE THAT MOTHER

HOW CAN YOU TAKE THAT MOTHER AWAY FROM HER KIDS AND STILL WAS LIVING YOUR LIFE?? I KNOW THEY WAS COLD-HEART LOSERS!!!! NOW YOUR KIDS WILL BE FATHERLESS,BECAUSE OF THEIR STUPID ACTIONS...

bentman
bentman 08/27/10 - 07:03 am
Let me guess what he said

Let me guess what he said when he was arrested: "I ain't did nothin'."

lmckie60
lmckie60 08/27/10 - 07:34 am
I met Ms. Burley a few years

I met Ms. Burley a few years ago, I'm so sorry that something like this happened to her, she was a wonderful person.

Indigo
Indigo 08/27/10 - 08:51 am
Hey North Augusta

Hey North Augusta PD,......see how this works? Bad guys get hunted down by the cops!

peonynut
peonynut 08/27/10 - 09:19 am
How many murders have there

How many murders have there been in North Augusta? You should thank your lucky stars that we have the officers that we have. We live in such close proximity to daily crime we are amazingly lucky that it has not reached our shores and when it does trickle in our NADPS does the job of tracking them down; they just don't brag about it.

corgimom
corgimom 08/27/10 - 11:41 am
I'm waiting for Countyman to

I'm waiting for Countyman to come on here and talk about how safe Augusta is and predict an "updated" number of homicides for 2010.

countyman
20129
countyman 08/27/10 - 01:09 pm
Corgimom, Augusta is safer

Corgimom, Augusta is safer than Greenville, Chattannooga, Charleston, Savannah, Macon, Columbus, and most other similar size cities. The FBI stats I provided is a much better indicator than anything you have to offer. Three of the murders in the article happened in Aiken and Columbia county..

Augusta IS definitely safer than your city Charlotte.... Augusta had 26 murders in 2009 and Charlotte had 56 murders in 2009.. 56 homicides in Charlotte is the lowest in 21 years. Please tell me how safe Charlotte is?

Three of the murders in the article happened in Aiken and Columbia county. Some of the murders in RC were husbands killing their wifes or children. Augusta/Richmond will end 2010 with around 25-32 homicides like every year. If you learn to listen for a change, you'll notice this is from the mouth of the Sheriff (Ronnie Strength) and not mine... Is Ronnie Strength wrong too??

savoy_savoy
savoy_savoy 08/28/10 - 12:21 am
Marcus looks like he is 17

Marcus looks like he is 17 cards short of a full deck....that other one just looks like he is worthless and been prison bound all of his life.

Seriously, mothers of black boys have got to do better with raising productive black men! Stop making excuses when your 6 yr old curses at you...do better to prevent this type of criminal breeding. This is not "the white man's fault".

Now, go ahead and rip me a new one.

ispy4u
ispy4u 08/28/10 - 05:47 pm
SAVOY, no one needs to rip

SAVOY, no one needs to rip you a new one. Your ignorant speaks loud and clear.

savoy_savoy
savoy_savoy 08/29/10 - 04:45 am
ispy: I respect your

ispy: I respect your opinion.

Food for thought: More Black Men are in Prison than Graduates of Colleges or Universities. Is that ignorant? Ignorant as in "don't know better"...
Teach them better and they will aspire to "do better" is what I mean. It is our (mine/yours) responsibility to make sure that more of our black BOYS reach age 30 without a Prison record...It starts in the cradle, parenting, of course.

MsShanelle
MsShanelle 08/30/10 - 01:20 am
To Savoy Savoy. These are

To Savoy Savoy. These are adult men. They're parents aren't responsible and should not be heldo responsible for the decisions of their adult children's decisions and actions. Why do I think so? Or should I ask, why do I know so? I was accepted in the Gifted Program while in the 6th grade, I graduated 6th of my graduation class. I am a double major (Information Technology and Nursing), and am I currently serving my 10th year in the Army (currently deployed in Afghanistan). Who I am I? I am Marcus' sister. Don't blame my Mother.

MsShanelle
MsShanelle 08/30/10 - 01:22 am
I apologize for the typos.

I apologize for the typos. None of these suspects' parents should be blamed or held responsible. My condolenses to the Lost Ones' families.

savoy_savoy
savoy_savoy 08/31/10 - 12:06 am
MsShanelle: You should have

MsShanelle: You should have been a mentor for Marcus...
I feel sorry for your mother. It's not her fault.

savoy_savoy
savoy_savoy 08/31/10 - 12:18 am
Actually, I don't know why I

Actually, I don't know why I keep commenting on these murderers.

Probably because it just angers me how people make excuses for low-life individuals...who am I? L.V.'s friend and a single mother--like the one Marcus participated in killing.

I hope Marcus and his crime-mentor make plenty of friends on the yard. For the rest of their lives, whatever it's worth.

hopefulinaugusta
hopefulinaugusta 08/31/10 - 12:31 am
Well said MsShanelle, at 29

Well said MsShanelle, at 29 years old, your brother was making decisions on his own and it had nothing to do with how he was raised. Regardless of what people think, very few parents actually set out to raise a child to kill, rob, etc. At a certain point they are responsible for their own actions.

MsShanelle
MsShanelle 10/28/10 - 01:44 am
@Savoy Savoy Sincerely once

@Savoy Savoy Sincerely once again, my condolenses to you. I agree that people are using scapegoats and getting away with it far too often these days. I just want it to be known that, "It's not always the parents' fault." and in this case it's certainly not my mother's.

@ hopefulinaugusta Thanks