Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Stepfather arrested on child cruelty charge

Investigators arrested a man Thursday on a child cruelty charge after his 2-year-old stepson was brought to the hospital unconscious Wednesday.

A deputy was sent to the Medical College of Georgia Hospital emergency room around 10:45 p.m. at the request of a caseworker with the Department of Family and Child Services.

The suspect, Darian Thomas, 20, told the deputy the boy had run into a wall Monday, causing the child's eyes to swell, a report states.

Thomas reportedly told the deputy that the boy showed no ill effects Tuesday or early Wednesday, but could not be awakened Wednesday evening after vomiting.

Jail records show Thomas, of the 3500 block of Shadybrook Drive, was arrested Thursday at the sheriff's office on a charge of cruelty to children in the first degree.

A spokeswoman for MCG said Thursday evening that the child's condition could not be released because of privacy laws.

wlightnin42
wlightnin42 08/20/10 - 05:37 am
Someone needs to swell

Someone needs to swell Darian's eyes and beat him unconsious. So tired of hearing stories about sorry "parents" hurting or killing children. take your anger out on someone your size. Come see me, I'll swell your eyes up and if you feel like putting a bag over someones head put it over your head. Taking your anger out on a child makes you a worthless POC.

thyroxin
thyroxin 08/20/10 - 05:40 am
Toddlers are very very lifely

Toddlers are very very lifely and dont listen at all ...and idiots or people that where raised as idiots take that behavior ...of the toddler as an afront to themselfs...and get angry like the toddler is a grown up...unfortunatly ..its not helping that some people advertise spankings and beatings as an appropiate way of raising infants and toddlers...because moronic fools take that ...permission .that spaning is ok to another level...And these stupid mothers of toddlers should know that strangers do not love their kids...they may love them ..but not the kids ..THEREFORE you dont leave toddlers with no one but perhaps grand parents...TODDLERS arent wild and lively ..and full of tantrums because they want to aggravate old people ..its a normal development phase......most folks should not be allowed ...to have children......

disssman
disssman 08/20/10 - 06:14 am
Are they wiyhholding the

Are they wiyhholding the childs condition, to protect the child or the criminal? BTW isn't it routine for animals to get rid of all offspring when they arrive?

Lisa the alaskan
Lisa the alaskan 08/20/10 - 06:54 am
Another chid cruelty story is

Another chid cruelty story is sick to think about, but at least it means that the state is out doing their jobs so that these people are behind bars and not on the street. But I don't think it's fair to say that no step parents love thier step children just because this guy is an A-hole. Lots and Lots of step parents love thier step kids as if they were thier own, and sometimes more, a lot more, than the biological parent. Don't lump them all in together. If you use that logic it would be like saying all moms secretly want to suffocate thier toddlers when thier mother berates them just because that one lady did it. Thankfully not everyone is like these sickos!

rmajor
rmajor 08/20/10 - 07:05 am
Absolutely! Many people

Absolutely! Many people should not be allowed to have children or pets! I have a sick, feeling in the pit of my stomach reading this. PLEASE send him to 401 Walton Way so that he can get a taste of his own medicine from someone his size or better yet...bigger. I hope they beat the &@!* out of him. Dispicable!

rmajor
rmajor 08/20/10 - 07:13 am
"Lisa the Alaskan", you are

"Lisa the Alaskan", you are right. Not all step parents are sickos. With my ex-husband of 15 years, before we had our son who is now 8, his son was my only child. Actually, his mom was quite abusive and we had to take legal action against her because of that. It was not something I would wish on anyone. Especially the child involved. Our son was not born then. My stepson (I still love him although we are divorced), still calls me and we have a great relationship and he loves his little, brother although his father and I are divorced. Also, "Thyroxin", you are right, when you have women with low, self-esteem and they have abusive husbands or boyfriends, these women really put their children in a dangerous path because they themselves are dysfunctional, therefore, it is nearly impossible for them to make a sensible and safe decision in men for their children. What's so unfortunate, is that no one really knows what's going on behind closed doors except family members maybe. Even then, it's sad, because so many family members allow the abuse by conveniently "minding their own business." We do this in our families and neighborhoods. It's sad. Society used to be so different. I try to embrace that. I don't care if it's my child or another child. An elderly person or my grandmother. An abused woman or my best friend. I will get involved. Just call me nosy! Life isn't about things, it's about people. Period.

CABoatright
CABoatright 08/20/10 - 07:53 am
Euthanize this so-called

Euthanize this so-called human--what a waste of skin.

CABoatright
CABoatright 08/20/10 - 07:53 am
Euthanize this so-called

Euthanize this so-called human--what a waste of skin.

fftaz71
fftaz71 08/20/10 - 08:15 am
dissman: MCG is bound by law

dissman: MCG is bound by law not to release the condition of the patient to anyone other than officials involved and the child's guardian. Its called HIPAA.

pommom38
pommom38 08/20/10 - 08:31 am
Then how is it that any other

Then how is it that any other time they freely post condition of people? So sick of their *privacy* laws. Oh wait, maybe it's just the criminals they invade the privacy of. Or it is just MCG that follows the law.
I am also a stepparent, and I have more to do with the kid than his dad does. I help with homework, get him off to school, talk with him about life and other things. His dad takes a backseat. But thats ok, we're not alone there am sure. People like this deserve whatever is coming to them, but we know our justice system is a joke.
Hopefully they will help this child and the mom will choose better who she leaves the child with in the future. Details were sketchy at best, so who knows if she knew this could happen or if it was a total shock.

columbiacountynative
columbiacountynative 08/20/10 - 11:02 am
God blessed us (my husband

God blessed us (my husband and me) with healthy, wonderful children. What is wrong with the women, that is allowing these animals to harm their babies. Where are the fathers of the children? I believe that the mothers should be psychologically examined as well? Come on, now these little miracles deserve so much more.

thyroxin
thyroxin 08/20/10 - 11:41 am
Thank you...a woman knows if

Thank you...a woman knows if a man is possibly dangerous they just choose to ignore ....the facts ..they go to work and leave toddlers with man boyfriends and husbands that are not the father...LION MALES KILL ALL THE CUBS from the previous lion male when taking over a pride.....and the more ignorant and badly raised those males are the more likely they behave like animals.....AND WOMAN KNOW THIS...Folks have nooo patients..are evil spirited ...and lack empathy...and that is 99.9% learned in their own childhood....sooo if you meet a man that tells you a sob story how he was abused..as a child ...guess what he will likely do the same .....and sometimes that results in the death ..or servere injury of babies and toddlers...they did a study ..if killed and abused children...and almost al of them got the treatment from the person woman or man that was not related by blood ......

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/20/10 - 11:56 am
Thyrox, a request: Please use

Thyrox, a request: Please use standard, basic sentence structure for your comments. A capital at the beginning and a period at the end would make it so much easier to read what you write.

This is not an act of the grammar police, believe me. After all, what would be the point of that these days? I'd just like to read what you have to say and find myself not bothering because your comments don't scan in the normal way.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/20/10 - 11:58 am
Sure hope this little fellow

Sure hope this little fellow recovers completely.

urright
urright 08/20/10 - 12:41 pm
Classic shaken baby. There

Classic shaken baby. There are no lucid intervals in SBS. He probably punched the baby on Monday and shook him on Weds. evening. Let me guess--the child only gets hurt when mom is at work? He needs to be castrated.

disheartened
disheartened 08/20/10 - 12:58 pm
This man killed that boy. If

This man killed that boy. If you look at his facebook page, you see his comments leading up to the babies unfortunate beating. How could you do this to such a sweet and beautiful baby?

thyroxin
thyroxin 08/21/10 - 03:11 am
Fiat LUX since you feel you

Fiat LUX since you feel you have to critisize my english ..and i suspect thats only because iam not a right wing demonseed...feel free to ignore me....if you r able to read this lol.....there is this little feature on top of your box you write and pew your wisdom called ignore USE THAT i know you have trouble comprehending complicated procedures that usually goes with political affiliations......feel free....i cant use standart english iam still learning muaaaaaaa

CS2008
CS2008 08/23/10 - 11:02 am
To Disheartened.... I am

To Disheartened.... I am directly related to the victim and his mother, but am unable to view Darian's profile... Could you shed some light on the comments that were made. It would lighten some of this load of not knowing. Please and thank you!

CS2008
CS2008 08/23/10 - 11:02 am
To Disheartened.... I am

lbbulluck
lbbulluck 08/23/10 - 08:56 pm
Just want to send my love,

Just want to send my love, support, and prays to this family. I pray that they are blessed and that God gives them a forgiving heart. I know it may be hard to forgive a man who could this to a child but in the end we all have to. He's knows what he did was wrong and God will take care of that. I just pray that this family understands that vengance is the Lords. The punishment he delievers is far worse than anything that man can do. Keeping this baby boy in your prays, so that he may return to being the happy go lucky baby that he once was!

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...