Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Hephzibah home meth lab explodes

When a meth lab exploded in a quiet Hephzibah subdivision on a cloudy afternoon, many neighbors assumed the "boom" was just more thunder.

James Danny Accord, 36, was badly injured Wednesday in a meth lab explosion  Special
Special
James Danny Accord, 36, was badly injured Wednesday in a meth lab explosion

When the fire department and hazmat crews began unloading their gear Wednes­day at a home at the 1500 block of Pine Ridge Drive East, they knew there was more to the story.

Authorities said James Danny Accord, 36, had two labs going simultaneously in the bathroom and kitchen of a friend's home when the explosion occurred in the kitchen at 5:25 p.m.

Roger Emory, who lives across the street, said he had noticed heavy traffic at the home for some time.

Another neighbor said it wasn't unusual to see someone in the yard chopping wood or cutting the grass at 2 a.m.

Despite suspicious activity, the news still came as a surprise.

"About the most we ever see in this neigh­borhood is a car speeding up the road," Emory said.

No fire resulted, but the blast blew out many of the home's windows.

"It blew up with such a force that it lifted the roof completely off the brick, ranch-style house," Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Greg Meagher said. "It blew it and set it at a different angle.

He noticed all the furniture was broken and scattered in the house and initially thought the fire department had damaged it, but later discovered it was caused by the explosion.

"It looked as if a war had gone on inside the house," Meagher said.

The results were not unusual, but the location was. The majority of meth labs are found in hotel rooms, he said.

John Pressler, a neighbor, said he knew the home owner and always thought well of the family. He didn't know Accord.

"It doesn't make me feel comfortable," he said as he stared at the crime scene from his yard.

Accord was transferred to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital, where investigators were told he suffered burns to half his body and damage to his eyes and lungs.

Police records show Accord was char­ged in April with possession of meth and marijuana and in March 2004 with possession of meth.

Aiken Meth Arrests

Aiken County authorities arrested a man and woman Tuesday in connection with a methamphetamine lab.

John Luke Jenkins, 38, of 213 Crestview Drive, Clearwater, and Donna Holland, 48, of the same address, were each charged with manufacturing and possession of meth in addition to possession of marijuana, according to a news release issued by the Aiken County Sheriff's Office.

Tots
Tots 08/19/10 - 11:42 am
"TRASH"..........That's all I

"TRASH"..........That's all I need to say,about this.

pommom38
pommom38 08/19/10 - 11:46 am
They will never learn from

They will never learn from the first time!!

KSL
KSL 08/19/10 - 11:47 am
I fully agree, Tots.

I fully agree, Tots.

MeinAugusta2
MeinAugusta2 08/19/10 - 11:51 am
I know I should not laugh,

I know I should not laugh, but what an IDIOT! I mean really. If he's that stupid, I just cannot feel sorry for him!

bettyboop
bettyboop 08/19/10 - 11:56 am
scary looking dude

scary looking dude there....ad I'm with you you Mein..stupid!..stipid! stupid!

mommyrab3
mommyrab3 08/19/10 - 12:08 pm
Sadly, I know this guy and

Sadly, I know this guy and remember him when he was attractive and a nice guy. Look what this drug does to people. Also, he had 5 animals displaced because of his actions. Very loving female German Sheppard and her 4 pups as well as a pregnant female goat. These animals need loving homes. We were there when animal control took them away. I have four dogs and cannot take anymore animals. Please help me save these babies. They need our help!

mommyrab3
mommyrab3 08/19/10 - 12:17 pm
Just another note to this

Just another note to this story, there is a pregnant female living next door to the house where the explosion took place. How dare he put this family or any of the surrounding families in jeopardy like that. It's time that he pay for what he's doing.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/19/10 - 12:20 pm
As stupid as this was, I can

As stupid as this was, I can not help but feel sad for this individual whose life has been wasted by this terrible addicted drug. I doubt he will survive these injuries especially if this explosion was severe enough to raise the roof and most likely his lungs were in terrible shape to begin with, much less having to deal with the damage caused by this explosion.

seabeau
seabeau 08/19/10 - 12:24 pm
The Wages of Sin are Death!!!

The Wages of Sin are Death!!!

overaugusta
overaugusta 08/19/10 - 12:36 pm
Darwin works harder than God

Darwin works harder than God these days.

fontana
fontana 08/19/10 - 12:38 pm
Wonder if Obama's health care

Wonder if Obama's health care plan will cover his medical bills.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 08/19/10 - 02:02 pm
Hate to think of the danger

Hate to think of the danger that these reckless people put their surroundings into! What a sad world we live in.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/19/10 - 02:08 pm
That's why people move away

That's why people move away from neighborhoods with houses that these smells are coming out of after repeated complaints to law enforcement. I had a neighbor that had the means to move just abandon his house out of frustration with the lack of response to his concerns. He left the house unoccupied and the yard unmaintained for a few years before selling it to a friend. Not to say bad things don't happen elsewhere, but at least in his new neighborhood, when a house blew up, it was because lightning ran up a gas line, not because of criminal activity.

musikmakur
musikmakur 08/19/10 - 02:50 pm
fontana....i needed that

fontana....i needed that today. thanks....i'll be recovering from Constant Laughing Syndrome(CLS)..........

dixiebelle30824
dixiebelle30824 08/19/10 - 04:12 pm
Should have left his butt in

Should have left his butt in the house.....the good lord would have taken care of the rest......

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 08/19/10 - 05:49 pm
Definitely METH FACE going

Definitely METH FACE going on. Guess when you are doing this stuff, your appearance does not mean anything. Get a decent hair cut! Now this house will have lost its total value. The neighbors living next to it, it is up to you to NOT LET an innocent person buy this home. Chemicals will permeate the dry wall carpet floors and everything, causing health problems. So if someone in the future wants to buy it, please at least let them know it was a METH house, I am sure you would not want to buy a meth house unknowingly.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 08/19/10 - 05:58 pm
This is EXACTLY why I would

This is EXACTLY why I would NOT RENT a house today. You never know what type of scum bags are gonna rent it and turn it into a meth house. Then who wants the HAZARDOUS HOME? Better to sell it than rent it! Does home owners insurance cover METH EXPLOSIONS? This is new to me. Its gonna cost a fortune to fix this mess. The way it was looking yard unkept, its a wonder neighbors never complained. And all the traffic in and out. People better wake up, if they want to maintain the values in their neighborhoods.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 08/19/10 - 06:31 pm
Visiting? OMG, what kind of

Visiting? OMG, what kind of friend visits and blows up your home? NICE FRIEND! NICE StuPID Friend! This person he was visiting needs to find some NEW friends that don't do drugs, hopefully they won't do the same.

Amy Sowinski
Amy Sowinski 08/19/10 - 08:05 pm
Please pray for his three

Please pray for his three children, they do not deserve this.

mommyrab3
mommyrab3 08/19/10 - 08:09 pm
Amen, Amy, I agree. They do

Amen, Amy, I agree. They do not! They are very good kids caught up in a mess they have no control over. My prayers are with the entire family, this has to be completely horrible for all of them.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/19/10 - 09:04 pm
I'm glad the idiots didn't

I'm glad the idiots didn't hurt or kill any innocent people. I feel sorry for people with addictions too ICL, heck I have my own vices, we all do, but once you let your vice start endangering innocent people.... game over, you dont matter. The only thing that matters is protecting the innocent from you.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 08/19/10 - 09:33 pm
I feel bad for the children,

I feel bad for the children, but you know, they may be better off with mom/foster care (hopefully she is NOT addicted to meth/drugs, too) than having a daddy addicted to meth. Doesn't look like the fellow could even take care of himself, let alone 3 innocent kid. These poor kids need drug free homes, with responsible parenting. Not this crap.

WilliamHarden
WilliamHarden 08/19/10 - 11:09 pm
The kids have a wonderful

The kids have a wonderful mother, I know because she is my wife. The kids are hurting very badly right now which is very understandable. Although the kids father has been estranged from them for awhile now due to drugs, they still love him. The oldest was even more upset while reading some of the comments. Prayers are appreciated greatly.

WilliamHarden
WilliamHarden 08/19/10 - 11:18 pm
Also, I was told there is a

Also, I was told there is a pregnant neighbor next door. And the homeowner/renter also has three kids that had recently moved. I just thank the Lord no one else was injured.

airbud7
airbud7 08/20/10 - 06:55 am
WilliamHarden you sound like

WilliamHarden you sound like a good man they are lucky to have you stay strong

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 08/20/10 - 08:36 am
I think I'd be suspicious if

I think I'd be suspicious if my neighbor were mowing the lawn or chopping wood at 2a.m. on a regular basis. I'm an insomniac at times but not an energetic one.

chascush
chascush 08/20/10 - 08:44 am
fontana, ‘Wonder if Obama's

fontana, ‘Wonder if Obama's health care plan will cover his medical bills.’
He can’t be turned down for a preexisting condition and he has one, stupidity.

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 08/20/10 - 09:12 am
The signs were right in front

The signs were right in front of the neighbors ....heavy traffic coming and
and going at all times of the day...people chopping( wood ) it's been hot as of late,,,seems like he would have waited until fall to chop wood and cutting grass @2AM don't you think that would have been another sign that just zipped past the neighbors.and to top all of this off.. everyone was
surprized. Every story I read like this it seems to me that the neighbors don't have a clue..Everyone said that they feared for the neighbor hood, but no one sees the signs..Wake up and take your neighbor hoods back.
It's happening every where you just have to read the signs

workedforit
workedforit 08/20/10 - 09:28 am
Sad as this is, thank

Sad as this is, thank goodness he only hurt himself, it could have been a lot worse and injured innocent people. Darwin award candidate for sure.

beboisme
beboisme 08/20/10 - 09:35 am
A haircut and a shave would

A haircut and a shave would reveal more of the effects of this drug/poison. Are people really this stupid.? Someone please give this man a looking glass and a bottle of lice shampoo. Sorry for the people who actually had to come within inches of this freak especially the jailers. Please have your significant others check you for the crawlers and jumpers that can easily latch onto you. I would be freaking out had I come in contact with this tweeker. The people who invited this scum into thier home should be disinfected as well. In my humble opinion these folks are the dreggs of the barrel. Here's the absolute funny part, they actually think they are looking good when thier high on this poison. And for those of you who solicit a prostitute who is living for the drug beware, what they carry with them good old Ajax won't take off.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.