Dog put down after burglary

A deputy answering a Heph­zibah home's burglar alarm Wed­nes­day found a door kicked in and a dog fatally wounded by gunshots.

According to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office report, the officer said nothing appeared to be missing from the home in the 2700 block of Cran­brook Drive, but several pools of blood were found, a long with the wounded dog, which was later put down.

The homeowner was out of town, police said.

jayse30
jayse30 08/04/10 - 12:16 pm
Today is a rough day for

Today is a rough day for dogs.........

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 08/04/10 - 12:26 pm
Can't leave town for any

Can't leave town for any length of time. Homeowner has a burglar alarm and a dog for backup. I'm sorry that the dog had to be put down. My dogs are part of the family and can't imagine losing one because some punks,thug monsters decided to shoot it. I hope they catch these sorry,low-lifers. Too bad it was a barking dog that messed up their burglary instead of an armed homeowner waiting to put a cap in their butts.

TheGeorgian
TheGeorgian 08/04/10 - 01:45 pm
Death to burglars and long

Death to burglars and long live courageous canines. We hope the next time these jerks break into a home a pack of pit bull tear off their faces.....and other parts.

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/04/10 - 01:57 pm
Well, at least the owner can

Well, at least the owner can know that their dog was a hero. Sad as it may be, that dog did it's job as a protector of that house.

flipa
flipa 08/05/10 - 02:43 pm
In North Augusta if your dog

In North Augusta if your dog barks a cop may shoot it.

A cop shot Sir Knight in his own yard. I won the S. E. Regional IJSBA part of the World Tour of Jet skiing and thought the city would turn out for a small parade or congrats as i was on my way to the world championship only to find my beloved dog dead and a cop claiming a lovable Labrador retriever as a vicious dog cause he barked at him as he fell in the mud. One of the rounds almost hit a Doctor his wife and their newborn in the river home next to mine.
Another neighbor saw the whole thing, too. At least in Augusta it's the thugs that do most of the wild shooting.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 08/04/10 - 03:06 pm
If it were my dog and they

If it were my dog and they were caught I would post bail for them. You guess the rest.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 08/04/10 - 03:10 pm
Another reason I have

Another reason I have absolutely no respect for the NA police. Got to feel a trigger in their hand, usually its a radar gun but once in a while they feel the need to gun down a pet.

flipa
flipa 08/04/10 - 03:15 pm
I couldn't speak 2 words for

I couldn't speak 2 words for a week. He was like my only child. Everyone who saw that has since moved from N.A.. i bought a GA river home. Don't let the badge and short hair fool you. Some of those guys just like to hurt animals & folks

ripjones
ripjones 08/04/10 - 03:30 pm
flipa - I would have been

flipa - I would have been having a "conversation" with the Chief of Police, with my lawyer in tow. Then a conversation with the Mayor. There's no excuse -- your dog was probably just laughing. I agree - walrus, bail them out. We can only hope that their next home is full of armed citizens.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 08/04/10 - 03:46 pm
RIP Guard Dog. I hate

RIP Guard Dog.

I hate punks.

Brad

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/04/10 - 04:10 pm
I was walking in a

I was walking in a subdivision and didn't realize a rottweiler was halfway across the road and quietly running toward me this morning. If I hadn't heard a vehicle honk and see the dog turn away and run off, startled by the vehicle heading toward him, he might have attacked me and I wouldn't have known he was coming until too late, despite having something fairly sturdy in my hand. I wish I could thank whoever was driving that car. Last I saw, the rottweiler was headed for the highway, not far from a local Kroger. In that case, if the dog is charging you on the public right-of-way and you are armed, you might have to shoot it, (it was a handsome dog, I would hate to have to do that!) but those punks who broke in that house were in that dog's territory; poor dog was only doing its job. I hope the dog made them pay somehow, even if it was a case of rattled nerves, or chewed them up a bit before the jerks shot him. I hope the homeowner is really out of town and not actually another victim, but I really feel for him or her, coming back to this tragedy.

disssman
disssman 08/04/10 - 04:23 pm
Almost that entire street is

Almost that entire street is nothing but section 8. Years ago it was a beautiful area. Most of the owners live out of state and could care less about their property, but they would be disgusted with how it is being treated.

disssman
disssman 08/04/10 - 04:31 pm
BTW I live close to where the

BTW I live close to where the break-in occured and a couple of mamas should know that the only reason their wonderful sons are alive today is because they picked the right house. Had they picked my house, they would have realized the error of their ways, I sleep very close to the 45 in my night stand and it is loaded with very soft "wad cutters" that go in small and come out like a baseball and I am shooting for the private parts.

Mongoose
Mongoose 08/04/10 - 06:52 pm
Live by the Law or Die by the

Live by the Law or Die by the Gun.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 08/04/10 - 07:10 pm
I've always hoped that if

I've always hoped that if there is a purgatory, they keep an extra hot place for people that hurt animals for no good reason.
Those bullets should serve as a reservation for low-life scummy punks like these.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/04/10 - 07:30 pm
Condolences to the family. A

Condolences to the family. A slow painful death to the losers who did it.

flipa
flipa 08/04/10 - 09:12 pm
ripjones; Sir Knight probably

ripjones; Sir Knight probably was laughing. He was just that cool. One time we were both skiing up above the shoals below Thurmond dam when a wake boarder was coming toward us. I held out my hand to give him a high five and just as the wakeboarder swung in Sir Knight slapped his hand with his paw too. How do you ever forget a dog that is that cool?

CABoatright
CABoatright 08/05/10 - 07:11 am
Walrus, I'm with you...I'll

Walrus, I'm with you...I'll help you with the bail & wait patiently in line to have a turn. Bless all the animal lovers...best friend you'll ever have.

bettyboop
bettyboop 08/05/10 - 08:00 am
flipa..while your story is

flipa..while your story is heartbreaking there has to be more to it..the NA police show up at your property and shoot your dog for barking and almost kill a "doctor"(not sure why his occupation is of interest) and his wife and newborn..wow!.....doesn't smell quite right.

fish2
fish2 08/05/10 - 10:27 am
Sorta agree Bettyboop---does

Sorta agree Bettyboop---does not add up.

flipa
flipa 08/05/10 - 12:14 pm
betty & fish; The cops did

betty & fish;
The cops did not show up at my house to shoot my dog. A fleeing fellon jumped into the river and was last seen heading to S.C. A N.A. cop looking for him came up behind my house slipping and falling in the mud. My barking dog was the last straw.
Wish i knew where the doc lives now so you could talk to him. Or you could check out some of the local chinese restarants and talk to Lucy the cook from across the street she saw it too. I thought it was crazy too so we both think it's crazy i agree. I was driving back from Fla, this is what they told me. I have no reason to believe these people would make something up. It is also on a N.A. police report where he tried to charge me for keeping a vicious dog. (a lovable mixed lab with a white star on his chest and 4 white paws) The fact the doc moved away before he even sold his house was very convincing to me.

corgimom
corgimom 08/05/10 - 02:23 pm
If the police were chasing a

If the police were chasing a fleeing felon and came into my back yard, yes, my dogs would go after him/her. There is no doubt in my mind that they would.

flipa
flipa 08/05/10 - 02:46 pm
My back yard was fenced. He

My back yard was fenced. He came up along the outside of the fence from the river. Sir Knight was inside his fence. The cop was slipping & falling in the mud. i wasn't there. This is what my neighbor & a cook told me. I was on my way back up from Fla. The city of N.A. did drop the charge of having a vicious dog. I think their investigation revealed what the witnesses saw and they dropped the matter.

fish2
fish2 08/05/10 - 02:48 pm
Flipa I belive you but I

Flipa I belive you but I would have spoken directly to the Police Officer and he had better convinced me he was in danger or he would have been in a court of law. Why would an Officer shoot a dog behind a fence is what I cant understand, slipping in the mud or not.

flipa
flipa 08/06/10 - 10:05 pm
Fish i wasn't there. But my

Fish i wasn't there. But my brother was a cop, my nephew was a cop, my Grandfather was a Sheriff. I've grown up hearing about all the times they were searching for criminals and the most frightening search is when the criminal is laying in wait and they are walking up on them. The criminal can just jump up behind them and slit their throat or grab their gun. This cop probably had been slipping n sliding around in woods on the hillside off the river thinking this criminal was going to get him at any minute and use his gun on others. He was probably tired, bug & spider bitten, sweaty, and torn by thorns by the time he came up behind my place. Sir Knight had been barking for some time as the neighbors had started looking to see why he was barking . By the time the cop got up alongside the fence Sir Knight may have even tried to bite his hand as he may have used the fence to steady himself and pull himself out of the vines and the mud. All i can think is this was the final straw and he momentarily lost his temper. I didn't pursue the case cause i wasn’t there. I don’t know exactly what happened. Sir Knight is gone, nothing will bring him back. I can never have another pet as it almost killed me to lose him. He even helped me save a girl from drowning.

peebhvac
peebhvac 08/08/10 - 07:30 am
I'll bet that if the

I'll bet that if the homeowner would have been the one killed instead of the dog, this article wouldnt have 25 posted comments already.