Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Richmond County officers seek homicide suspects

One suspect surrenders as police comb streets for others

Investigators caught a break during Augusta's bloodiest month in a decade when a murder suspect surrendered at the sheriff's office Friday.

Back | Next
Deputy Kelly Lundy of the Crime Suppression Team goes door to door at Sanctuary Apartments handing out fliers advertising a reward for information in connection to Sunday's shooting at the complex.  Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff

Marcus Darnell Richardson, 26, turned himself in about 3:30 p.m. and was being held without bond on charges of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

Investigators have linked him to the death of Eric Phillips, whose body was discovered Wednesday afternoon in a small park on Meadowlark Road. Another person, whose identity has not been released, is also wanted in connection with that slaying, which investigators said is drug-related.

That leaves three of the eight homicides in July without arrests.

The criminal investigation division added another full-time investigator to the homicide roster this week in an effort to catch the remaining killers.

The most recent unsolved homicide happened Sunday at Sanctuary Apartments, off West Wheeler Parkway in west Augusta. Two off-duty military policemen were shot by a gunman riding in a forest green 1989 Honda Accord about 3:30 a.m.

One of the men, Deangelo Rondelle Hudgins, 25, was shot in the chest and died the next day.

Friday afternoon, deputies with the crime suppression unit fanned out into the apartment complex to knock on doors and pass out fliers offering a reward for information.

Motorists passing by also were handed fliers, which included a picture of a car similar to the one used by the shooter. The car, which has a loud muffler and pop-up headlights, had been seen in the area several times, neighbors said.

The gunman was described as Hispanic, with curly brown hair and a thin mustache.

Residents of the apartment complex, who didn't want to be named out of fear of retaliation, heard several shots that night. Hudgins didn't move after he was shot, but the other victim, Albert Gilbert, ran down the street banging on doors and asking for help. He was shot in the abdomen.

Deputies taped fliers to the doors of people who didn't answer their knock, but the ones they talked to promised to help any way they could.

"Hopefully it will give us some leads," said Sgt. Ken Rogers. "But if not, we're still trying."

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/23/10 - 11:28 pm
I wish the sheriff's office

I wish the sheriff's office would do a bit of "pushing" to solve the theft of $25,000 from the safe left open in the Tax Commissioner's office. The trail seemed to get really cold really fast when it became apparent it was an inside job!

1CowboyFan
1CowboyFan 07/24/10 - 05:31 am
Lamb... 2 brave military men

Lamb... 2 brave military men were shot, one fatally and you have to post a comment like that about money.

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 07/24/10 - 08:14 am
Little Lamb: What in the

Little Lamb: What in the heck does your comment have to do with this article? Two miltary men were shot for no reason.......And what do you mean by "pushing"? Are you insinuating that the police engage in illegal tactics or "strong arm" somebody to solve crimes? Okay, then you'll be the first one to crying foul and belly aching that the police is acting in a barbaric manner. Considering the amount of illegal activity that this county has (murders, robberies, break-ins etc) the RCSO for the most part has done a GREAT job.

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/24/10 - 03:34 pm
1CowFan and JAD.......Ditto

1CowFan and JAD.......Ditto for me!

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/24/10 - 03:36 pm
I read LL first, and when I

I read LL first, and when I read it I had to scroll back to the article to try and figure out if my computer did a snafu. lol

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/24/10 - 05:20 pm
:-) I sometimes do the same

:-) I sometimes do the same thing, CrackerJack. I scroll down to the comments before reading the whole story. In this case, the original headline had the word “pushing” in it, so that is why is used the word in my post. I see that the Chronicle editors have re-written the headline.

My original comment still stands, though. The sheriff's department stopped investigating the theft of tax money when it became apparent it was an inside job.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 07/24/10 - 05:34 pm
"Go back to your $4.00 Latte,

"Go back to your $4.00 Latte, your plasma tv and ADT security system, and live in your secure rainbow world."
-------------------
I admit I try to stay inside this world as much of the time as possible but I make my own lattes.

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/24/10 - 07:15 pm
I wonder if they would have

I wonder if they would have handed out flyers like that for the average citizen? People are murdered all the time and they havn't handled it that way.

corgimom
corgimom 07/24/10 - 10:07 pm
Patty-p, those men were shot

Patty-p, those men were shot in cold blood, for no apparent reason. The vast majority of homicides are between people that know each other and have some conflict. When you have people shot for no reason, that's way different.

Because if those two men were shot, who's next?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/10 - 11:46 am
I betcha countyman could find

I betcha countyman could find something positive about this area.

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/25/10 - 12:32 pm
Corgimom, people are shot and

Corgimom, people are shot and murdered everyday that don't know each other. Honestly, I don't think we know everything about this case. It's odd for two people to get shot for absolutely no reason at all. They probably had some connection to the killer.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 07/25/10 - 05:41 pm
8 murders in one month. Even

8 murders in one month. Even countyman must be having a hard time with that. Is that investigator a new person on the force, are just moved from one area to another?

Ex-Augusta VA director paid $76k, retired

Under the terms of the contract, Rebecca Wiley agreed to dismiss any allegations against the VA of wrongful or unlawful conduct on the condition the agency pays her $76,006 to retire, restores 238 ...