Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

One of two men shot in west Augusta dies

A victim of a west Augusta shooting died Monday afternoon, according to the Richmond County Sheriff's Office.

Deangelo Rondelle Hudgins, 25, of St. Andrews Drive, a military police officer stationed at Fort Gordon, was shot in the chest at 3:49 a.m. Sunday. He died at 3:44 p.m. Monday at an Augusta hospital, Capt. Scott Peebles said in a news release.

The other victim, Albert James Gilbert, 25, also an MP stationed at Fort Gordon, was shot in the abdomen but was listed in stable condition.

The victims told officers they saw a green Honda Accord or Civic circling the apartment complex in the 500 block of Sanctuary Drive, off West Wheeler Parkway, about 3 a.m. When Gilbert approached the vehicle, the passenger fired two shots, according to a report.

No arrests have been made, Peebles said.

myparrot
myparrot 07/19/10 - 06:24 pm
My heart goes out to the

My heart goes out to the young man's family. I hope they catch the scumbag and he gets his just punishment!

memyselfandi
memyselfandi 07/19/10 - 07:06 pm
there is no such thing as

there is no such thing as "just" punishment with the bleeding heart judges in Augusta. Not even going to mention the jurors.

memyselfandi
memyselfandi 07/19/10 - 07:06 pm
there is no such thing as

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/19/10 - 07:16 pm
Another person killed by a

Another person killed by a scumbag too stupid to be considered part of the human race. Wise up people. It's the wild west and right now you are playing the part of the peaceful sodbuster. You know, the one that always gets beat up, robbed, or shot. To these scumbag heathens out here all you are is a moving target. Who raised these animals? Was it you?

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/19/10 - 08:13 pm
Stop mentioning animals when

Stop mentioning animals when it comes to criminality!!!

disssman
disssman 07/19/10 - 08:21 pm
I still wonder what these

I still wonder what these MP's were doing there at that time in the morning. Were they hired as security or what? The paper keeps saying they were from Ft G. But it also says one lived at St Andrews Dr. and no address for the other person other than Ft G. The MP's at FT G as a group are a fantastic group, helpful, sharp and courteous. I can't imagine what the idiot was thinking who did the shooting. I will say the idiot made a huge mistake because this is now a federal crime and the courts are a little different than state courts. Hope the FBI gets him soon as I am sure they will.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 07/19/10 - 09:06 pm
It's STILL not a Federal

It's STILL not a Federal crime.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 07/19/10 - 09:25 pm
dissman do you not know of

dissman do you not know of anybody who works at night or perhaps has a 7pm -3am shift? Is Ft Gordon only open during business hours and has no need for MP outside of 9am-5pm? Maybe they had a hankering for a pecan waffle at the Waffle House at 3am? Maybe they had been midnight bowling. Not everybody has a curfew like you seem to have.

overaugusta
overaugusta 07/19/10 - 11:10 pm
condolences to the

condolences to the families.

Benefit of the doubt to the ignorance on this board because I know GA schools are at the bottom of the barrel, but to spell it out slowly for "y'all":
Just because the person is described as Hispanic, does not make him illegal.

lohenster
lohenster 07/19/10 - 11:49 pm
@fatboy actually, it is a

@fatboy

actually, it is a federal crime. MPs are federal law enforcement officers and therefore killing one and shooting another is a federal crime. The FBI will be called, if it hasn't been already; you can trust me on that one.

Babbeedol
Babbeedol 07/20/10 - 07:54 am
FYI........All soldiers are

FYI........All soldiers are Government Property. The FBI will surely be involved. Just think there are soldiers over in the Middle East fighting for their lives and you would never think to fight for you life in our very own USA. I am sure that whoever did this, is wishing that they never did it. I pray for the famalies of all soldiers here and over seas!

flipa
flipa 07/20/10 - 08:55 am
Overaugusta; When he planned

Overaugusta; When he planned to murder, then murdered, he made himself an illegal, not U.S.... OK?

corgimom
corgimom 07/20/10 - 08:58 am
Disssman, MP's have lives,

Disssman, MP's have lives, too.

My exhusband often left at 4am to go to the Fort- PT started at 5am in the summer.

And my deepest condolences to his family and friends, and my prayers for a swift recovery for the other MP.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 07/20/10 - 12:55 pm
@ lohenster, is the FBI here

@ lohenster, is the FBI here yet? I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. If the offense occurred on Federal property, it's a Federal crime. It's a state crime, investigated by the local sheriff's office.

Lonewuf
Lonewuf 07/20/10 - 03:48 pm
For once I agree with

For once I agree with Baron.... There is no excuse, NONE, that these guys were shot down, NONE, and I hope the perps will be caught.

If I'm walking my neighborhood at 3:00 am.... does that make me a criminal?

aureliusdios
aureliusdios 07/20/10 - 04:41 pm
Young people do go out!

Young people do go out! There are some real winners commenting on this story--illegals? drug deal? You ain't CSI --- But then again this is in the AC so I'm sure we aren't getting the true story. After that messed up Georgia Gov. Worker Quits After Racial remark story I will never believe anything this paper puts out.

Holdem
Holdem 07/20/10 - 05:22 pm
The fact that they were MP's

The fact that they were MP's is irrelevant.The moment they left the Post,their badges were worth no more than one from a Cracker Jack box.................

corgimom
corgimom 07/20/10 - 06:28 pm
Holdem and Fatboy, you just

Holdem and Fatboy, you just keep on thinking that.

MP's have arrest powers off military installations.

Hey, Fatboy and Holdem- ever heard of when martial law is declared, or when natural disasters occur? And you see all the MP's? Guess what
powers they have. That would be arrest powers.

And they also have the ability to arrest servicemembers anytime, anywhere, and investigate any crime involving a servicemember on or off a military installation, whether the servicemember is either a victim or a perpetrator.

Please educate yourself.

Holdem
Holdem 07/20/10 - 08:56 pm
Corqi, I have checked the

Corqi, I have checked the news and martial law was not imposed in Augusta prior to this shooting and I checked the National Weather Service and no natural disasters occured.

userfriendly
userfriendly 07/20/10 - 11:15 pm
Deangelo was a dear friend of

Deangelo was a dear friend of mine from high school. The guy was one heck of a guy. Good friend to have, im gonna miss him alot. Thank you to the people who pray for his family and to those that watch to much csi respect a fallen soldier. So what if it was 3 am what he was doing out at that time was and is his business. I just hope that they can catch the people who are behind this mess.

dusty191984
dusty191984 07/21/10 - 06:11 am
To all of the supporters out

To all of the supporters out there im glad you have a soldiers back. I am an MP and I know the two soldiers Personally. @ dreamschasers I can vouch that it was NOT a drug deal gone wrong so before accussing someone get your facts right.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 07/21/10 - 01:35 pm
Corgimom...not in uniform,

Corgimom...not in uniform, not on duty, not killed in the line of duty, not killed on duty, not specifically targeted because they were military...not a federal crime. AND, Military Police DO NOT have jurisdiction off post under normal circumstances.

Educate yourself. Thank you.