Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Three arrests made in Aiken County break-in

Beech Island suspects caught in nearby attic

BEECH ISLAND --- Karen Johnston's daughter was at home Thursday, recovering from tonsillitis, when three men broke into their Dicks Drive home.

Back | Next
D. Edwards
D. Edwards

The girl called her mother just before 10:30 a.m., saying she thought she heard something fall in the bathroom, but wasn't sure.

"I just told her to stay on the phone with me, and if she heard it again to call 911," she said.

Within the next minute, the 16-year-old girl was on the phone with dispatch as she hid under her bed in her locked room.

The men pried open the family's back door and another bedroom window, taking mostly electronics. When they got to the teen's bedroom, they found the door locked, heard a television and ran from the house.

Neighbor Randy Harris saw the men coming out the back door of the Johnstons' home, and chased them.

When Karen Johnston arrived, she pulled her daughter out through the bedroom window, fearing there might be strangers still in the house.

"As long as my daughter's OK, then everything will be OK," she said. "We just sat in the truck as the bloodhounds started to look for them."

The Aiken Bloodhound Tracking Team found the three men in the attic at 103 Dicks Court, less than a block from the Johnstons' home, said Troy Elwell, Aiken County Sheriff's Office spokesman.

The men were charged with grand larceny and second-degree burglary. The suspects were identified as:

- David Edwards Jr., 17, 400 block of Gregg Avenue, Aiken.

- Eugene Edwards, 22, 100 block of Dicks Court, Beech Island.

- Davashea Rhodes, 17, of the 3000 block of Mistletoe Avenue, Hephzibah.

Elwell said the men's arrest might be a break in a string of a half-dozen burglaries in the area in the past few months.

But investigators said they don't think the men are connected to a similar home invasion Tuesday in North Augusta.

A 13-year-old and 9-year-old hid in a closet at their home in the 1500 block of Ascauga Lake Road while the suspect burglarized the home.

"More home invasions are happening because more people are in the residence during the summer," Elwell said. "If they (burglars) knock on the door and no one answers, they assume no one's home."

Elwell said even if it's just children at home, they should tell the person at the door to leave. If they feel threatened, they should tell the person they're calling 911.

"Keeping a light or radio on will also make it look like someone was home," he said.

The sheriff's office also has a new program called "Stop and Think" to teach children basic home safety and how to handle an intruder. The program is available for neighborhood watch programs and will be taught in schools this fall.

To schedule a presentation, call (803) 593-9954, ext. 1320.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 07/15/10 - 12:45 pm
Put these animals down when

Put these animals down when you find them.

keeanzia
keeanzia 07/15/10 - 12:48 pm
This is scary, I hope they

This is scary, I hope they catch them.

pommom38
pommom38 07/15/10 - 12:57 pm
YES!!! They caught the

YES!!! They caught the guys!!
I think the neighbors and dogs finally stepped up and helped catch these jerks:) They were found in the other home, hiding in the attic. Thank goodness no one was at that home!!
Poor girl, she has got to be terrified after that ordeal..
Now, KEEP THEM LOCKED UP!!

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 07/15/10 - 01:57 pm
pommom I so agree please do

pommom I so agree please do not let the bond out

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 07/15/10 - 02:08 pm
Where are their mug shots,

Where are their mug shots, they are old enought to post?

check
check 07/15/10 - 02:40 pm
Bring the dogs over to

Bring the dogs over to Ascauga Lake home to see if its the same criminals. Correction to article: "If they feel threatened, tell the person to go away ...THAT YOU ARE callING 9-1-1.

flipa
flipa 07/15/10 - 03:00 pm
If this girl was armed she

If this girl was armed she could have shot through the door, and ended this once and for all for these three. Tax USERS WILL have them out on the street to do it again i can PROMISE you that. The next time we may be hauling taxpayers out in body bags like they are nationwide. When will our taxes be used to protect the TAXPAYER instead of protecting the KNOWN RED HANDED CRIMINALS all the time?
Join the National Taxpayers Union. Redirect our taxes back from being used against U.S. as now back to being used for U.S. as claimed.
www.NTU.org

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/15/10 - 03:12 pm
Strong doors, good locks, all

Strong doors, good locks, all family members over the age of five trained in the use of firearms: that's how to handle this kind of threat. If these children had answered the animals, God alone knows what might have happened to them.

"I have a shotgun trained on this door and I have called 911. This is your only chance to get away." That's what they need to hear.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 07/15/10 - 03:22 pm
When they force the door

When they force the door shoot to kill...... with no regrets.

chascush
chascush 07/15/10 - 03:28 pm
Keep your guns load and

Keep your guns load and handy. More graduates of the government schools and the entitlement programs.

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/10 - 04:21 pm
I am stunned that anyone

I am stunned that anyone would suggest that a frightened 16 year old girl would be able to ward off 3 men.

And I am also stunned that anyone would think that these burglars aren't armed themselves- and care about human life, and wouldn't shoot the victim immediately.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/15/10 - 04:58 pm
Which, corgimom, makes being

Which, corgimom, makes being able to defend themselves adequately all the more IMPORTANT, don't you think?

It's all well and good to hide, but if having someone known to be at home is a deterrent for these animals in breaking in, it's not very hard to figure out the best course of action based on pure probability. I don't know many people who would try to go through a door when someone on the other side of it is threatening to nail them with a shotgun blast. Even fools like this would think twice.

pommom38
pommom38 07/15/10 - 05:12 pm
Hmm, lookie there. Edwards

Hmm, lookie there. Edwards lived one street over.
Casing the neighborhood perhaps before this? My bet says YES.
While Capt. Elwell gave some legit advice, sorry to disagree with ya, but leaving tv's/radios on does nothing to deter these people.
Our's was left on for the animals (yea, call me crazy) while at work, dogs raising cane, did that stop them from kicking in our door and stealing? NO..
Am just thankful I just missed them so my animals didn't have a chance to escape out the door.
I keep a steel bar next to all doors, they get in, they're going to have one heck of a headache!!
There has just been way to many of these invasions lately, told the bf today, that's it.. I don't like them, but i'm going to buy a gun. And WILL NOT hesitate to use it if anyone steps foot in my house with wrong intentions!

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/15/10 - 05:18 pm
$500,000.00 BOND

$500,000.00 BOND EACH......Thank goodness they will be tried in Aiken County, and not in Georgia. Most of those Judges actually sentence the scum appropriately.

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/10 - 05:19 pm
Fiat Lux, I lived with people

Fiat Lux, I lived with people like that. I was surrounded with people like that for 3 years.

The bottom line- if they want to break into your home, they will. You might scare them off once, but they will be back.

There is this foolish idea that they will be scared off and never come back. Not true. In fact, they are more likely to come back- they think they'll get a shotgun, which is good stuff. Easy to sell. And there is this foolish idea that you can say "I have a shotgun"- which is a good way to get shot by an automatic weapon, or get shot by a shotgun yourself.

Ever lived around convicts and criminals and dealt with them on a day-to-day basis? I have. Ever been involved in a drive-by shooting? I have.

It's not like what you see on tv.

Most of them are drug addicts, they are desperate, they are ruthless, and they are either high or in very bad shape.

They don't care if someone is there or not- they are prepared to shoot themselves. They are very comfortable with the idea of shooting people.

But if you think that's a good idea, then by all means, you should do it.

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/15/10 - 05:20 pm
Folks if you see or hear

Folks if you see or hear someone at the door and you don't know them, don't say a word. Get your gun, call 911 and tell them to send the coroner. When they break in, don't leave them alive.

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/10 - 05:33 pm
Sure, crackerjack, she could

Sure, crackerjack, she could shoot all 3 of them at once, and they are just going to stand there and let her- and not shoot back.

Trained police officers get killed in situations like that- but you think a 16 year old girl could handle that. Ok.

One against three= you will be killed yourself.

bettyboop
bettyboop 07/15/10 - 05:46 pm
So corgi what do you

So corgi what do you suggest?...Just sit back and let the scum do what they want...those days are over...I don't think folks are "gonna sit down and shut up".. anymore.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/15/10 - 07:31 pm
One day they will meet the

One day they will meet the victim that does stop them permanently. I won't feel a tad bad. Occupational hazzard.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 03:41 pm

disssman
disssman 07/15/10 - 08:37 pm
The police should have left

The police should have left them up in that attic till they died. It must have been at least 150 degrees up there. It wouldn't have taken long and the taxpayers would have saved a ton of money.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 07/15/10 - 08:44 pm
They come in one by one and

They come in one by one and the first ones dead. I dont subscribe to the corgimom theory of roll over and play dead. My AR15 was made to put this group in the morgue. If a suspicious caller comes to my door Im not saying anything as I watch for what comes next. When the boot hits the door the slime hits the floor. Then call ServePro to clean up the mess.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/15/10 - 09:23 pm
Corgimom, I lived in South

Corgimom, I lived in South Augusta once upon a time. I saw a drive-by shooting of a friend's child who was at a birthday party held in a front yard. And from a distance of less than 20 feet, I also saw a 19-year-old mother of a toddler shot to death by the baby's father, right in front of my small children and me as we were talking a walk in our neighborhood. So yeah, I've seen some stuff too.

I haven't had to live in a project, thank God, and I don't think I've ever lived in constant fear for my life or for my family's lives, but I can tell you that I am far more concerned today, even living away from South Richmond County, than I have ever been in my life up to now. I know with perfect clarity that an unimaginable number of sociopaths roam the streets and have no concern at all for the lives of others, especially someone who looks like me or members of my family.

I would not hesitate to nail someone if they were forcing their way into my house. They might survive to try again someday, but it's less than likely.

sassygirl8
sassygirl8 07/15/10 - 10:02 pm

Thank God they did not see this girl. She could have been raped or possibly killed. And for you low life scum bags go get a job and earn a living the honest way. How would you like it if someone broke into your mommys house and stole her stuff? People like you all just make me sick..Thieves that is

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/15/10 - 10:09 pm
Corgimom........first their

Corgimom........first their was someone home at the house they hid in the attic. It was one of thems girlfriend. And a double barrel shotgun with a 16"barrel and #1 buck 3" magnums, will take at least two of them out of this world at 25 feet away. It's still better than letting them do what they want to with the girl. I'm pretty sure that you believe they can be rehabilitated, so they should be let go, right! The sooner people start putting these animals out of their misery, the better.

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/15/10 - 10:12 pm
And my daughter when she was

And my daughter when she was 14 shot a couple of deer over a hundred yards away. A 16 year old that has been properly trained with firearms can do more damage than some old woman that is afraid they might shoot back. Also, the element of surprise is on her side.

Mudfish
Mudfish 07/15/10 - 11:42 pm
For the person who said shoot

For the person who said shoot through the door, I believe that the one who shoots through the door will get in trouble. That is unfortunate but it is probable that this will happen.
I agree with the person who who talks about a shotgun loaded with buck shot. That would stop at least two and if it is a semi automatic gun, the next shot is there for anyone who is stupid enough to come on through the door after that. For me, I think I am going to buy a revolver that shoots the .45 long colt or a .410 shot shell. Load it with buck shot and keep it in the car for a car jacker and then take it inside with you when you get out to go inside your house. It will be the ideal personal carry gun for self defense.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/16/10 - 12:03 am
A plea to all those that are

A plea to all those that are posting comments about various criminal activities, p l e a s e - don't use the word "animal" in connection with any criminal activities. Animals are God's creatures and not capable nor determined to do the harm these outcasts are bringing upon us - their victims. This sorry lot of human scum should be given so much punishment they would never think of ever doing it again. I say it again - the chain gangs - they work - have plenty of fresh air - and do some good for the community. We need changes in our law system! We had chain gangs before and I believe they worked quite well.

usafvet
usafvet 07/16/10 - 12:32 am
If corgimom could get them

If corgimom could get them inside, tie them to chairs, start her philosophical rhetoric,and when they begin squirmming and screaming in desparation, give them each a gun and they would shoot themselves.

nofrills
nofrills 07/16/10 - 07:22 am
I say we stone them. let the

I say we stone them. let the kid they scared throw the first rock. Show these punks we are not going to take this anymore! The ripple affect will get fast results.