Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Police searching for home invasion suspect

NORTH AUGUSTA - Aiken County investigators are searching for a home invasion suspect after being notified by two young girls hiding in a closet, according to Capt. Troy Elwell, of the Aiken County Sheriff's Office.

A 13-year-old and 9-year-old were alone at the home on the 1500 block of Ascauga Lake Road when a man pulled up and began knocking on the door.

The teen told officers she ignored the knocks and the man returned to his vehicle. But after some time, he returned and began to bang on another door, Elwell said. After no response, the suspect kicked in the door.

The girls were taking refuge in the closet where they called their father, who told them to stay put and call 911, Elwell said.

By the time officers arrived at 2:06 p.m., the suspect was gone.

flipa
flipa 07/14/10 - 03:11 pm
A D-Link camera cost only

A D-Link camera cost only about $100. It can be watched from any computor in the world with its IP address. This records to disk and keeps an eye on your things 24-7. It's red light blinks when anyone approaches it as it is motion activated. This scares most criminals away before they do anything. My office is downtown and it has held back the masses here. Is there REALLY an excuse NOT to have one?

veggie-d
veggie-d 07/14/10 - 03:20 pm
leaving kids at home like

leaving kids at home like that is risky...telling them to "ignore the knocks at the door" is riskier...if they are NOT old enough to know what to do/say they should NOT be left alone...and...i knew how to use every gun in our home by the time i was 12-13...

Mudfish
Mudfish 07/14/10 - 03:57 pm
I was dove hunting before I

I was dove hunting before I was 7 years old and could shoot them out of the air quite well. I was also good with a small cal rifle by 6 years old.
My wife shoots very good, also.
I keep a gun with me at all times especially if I am at home. If someone enters my house without my permission,while I am at home, they will exit in a body bag.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/14/10 - 08:21 pm
A well prepared armed citizen

A well prepared armed citizen whos sick of these lowlifes and will protect their home and children and will do what the justice system wont is what we need to start reading about to get the point across to these wastes of flesh.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 07/15/10 - 01:30 am
Mudfish, are you suggesting

Mudfish, are you suggesting that these kids should have been left alone with a gun to protect themselves?????

You may have been hunting before you lost all your baby teeth, but that doesn't mean you would have been able to defend yourself against an intruder.

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/10 - 05:36 pm
Most people- children

Most people- children especially- would freeze. Very few people can kill someone. Going out to hunt and confronting a criminal are far different things- the crime happens unexpectedly and in a panic situation.