Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man is accused of ransacking BP station

Surveillance footage of suspect ransacking the Olde Town BP station at 443 Broad St.

Richmond County sheriff's investigators have taken a man into custody who they suspect ransacked a gas station last week.

Deputies say they are looking for Quincy Edward Harden, 32   Richmond County jail photo
Richmond County jail photo
Deputies say they are looking for Quincy Edward Harden, 32

Quincy Edward Harden, 32, was located at his probation office on Walton Way, according to Sgt. Paul Evans. Harden is accused of causing more than $2,000 worth of damage at Olde Town BP at 443 Broad St. around 10 p.m. July 6.

Witnesses said he grew violent after being denied a job application and began to throw shelves and food around the store, according to an incident report.

OnlyinAgs1
OnlyinAgs1 07/14/10 - 03:38 pm
These are two different

These are two different people.

Taylor B
Taylor B 07/14/10 - 03:45 pm
What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 07/14/10 - 03:57 pm
He is right. One is normal

He is right. One is normal and the other is a maniac.

KingJames
KingJames 07/14/10 - 04:04 pm
He makes people in their

He makes people in their thirties look old!!! I wouldn't have given him an application even if the store was hiring. I would have told him to come back when he found a shirt to wear, and then he could get an application.

rmajor
rmajor 07/14/10 - 05:12 pm
It looks like the same

It looks like the same person....anyway. Glad he didn't have a weapon. I mean what can they really do besides put him in jail? He's already homeless. I'm glad no one was hurt with this tantrum!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/14/10 - 05:43 pm
No impulse control=virtually

No impulse control=virtually no ability to hold a job=no income and no disability designation=no home=no stability, no safety, no hope.

Of course, all homeless people are perfectly stable, mentally and emotionally, and it is completely reasonable to expect them never to become overwhelmed by the desperation and fear they live with all the time.

So let's all unload on this guy. It's a no-brainer that he deserves our scorn and mockery far more than our pity.

What a wonderful bunch of citizens we are! Oh, yes we are.

disssman
disssman 07/14/10 - 06:04 pm
This is the result of closure

This is the result of closure of mental health facilities during the 60s and letting patients live on their own. Good idea back then, almost like handicapped parking, but over the years look at where we are at.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/14/10 - 07:42 pm
Absolutely, 100% on target,

Absolutely, 100% on target, Disssman.

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/14/10 - 09:04 pm
Hey, I think I saw him going

Hey, I think I saw him going in the closed meeting for finding a new Richmond Cty. School Supt. No wonder it was a closed meeting

sassygirl8
sassygirl8 07/14/10 - 09:51 pm
Even if he got the job he

Even if he got the job he would have stolen everything in there...sorry useless bum

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 07/15/10 - 12:27 am
Fiat.... there are plenty of

Fiat.... there are plenty of homeless people who don't wander in a store and trash it because things aren't going their way that day.

Looked to me like he was trying to set himself up to start drawing a crazy check instead of trying to find real work.

lsmith
lsmith 07/15/10 - 03:28 am
haha. I had a response for

haha. I had a response for ONLYINAG1 but would rather just pass on it. I'm getting a good laugh none the less.

Hope the young man gets some help before he hurts someone or himself.

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/10 - 06:24 am
Fiat Lux, you have no idea if

Fiat Lux, you have no idea if he is disabled or not. And you have no idea why he did it. You have no idea if he did it out of desperation. You have no idea if he has money. You have no idea if he is homeless by choice. You have no idea if he has family that's willing to help him. You have no idea of his background.

You are making a lot of assumptions. For all you know, he could be just be an alcoholic or drug addict- because his behavior is pretty typical of either one. By about the 5th or 6th of the month, life gets tough for the drug addicts- their money is gone and they need drugs.

But, Fiat, you certainly are welcome to go help him. That would be a very Christian thing to do. I think it would be wonderful if you opened your home to him, or rented him an apartment.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 07/15/10 - 06:26 am
Can't believe that nobody has

Can't believe that nobody has blamed George Bush yet......It must be his fault.....Can't think of why, but I'm sure some of you liberals will have a reason. By the time Chairman MaoBama is done with this country more of us will be out of work and homeless just like Quincy.....but at least we'll all have free health care!

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 07/15/10 - 07:14 am
habitual.....caught a case in

habitual.....caught a case in 2002 for stealing...i guess things were tough for him back in 2002, not having a job and all back then. my guess he is also a high school drop out or a product of the "great and wonderful" richmond county school system

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 07/15/10 - 08:13 am
Well, if he was stealing back

Well, if he was stealing back in 2002 then he must be a product of Bill Clinton! Thanks for sharing that info! He was also born during the Carter administration so his parents were probably homeless too thanks to 16% mortgage rates and double digit unemployment then!!!!!!!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/15/10 - 08:35 am
And, BTW Corgimom, I give

And, BTW Corgimom, I give monthly financial support and time to an organization that provides apartments and other essentials for homeless people in an effort, often successful, to help people get off the street. My family members also volunteer twice a month at the local soup kitchen.

Do you do anything that resembles that at all, or are you content just to snipe away in the hopes of hitting a target? Do you do any kind of sacrificing for the sake of others who may or may not deserve it? Or do you just sit in judgment and hand down your lofty opinion on all the rest of us here on this mortal plane?

I'm very glad I'm not you, or like you either. It's got to be really stressful convincing yourself that you're always right. You aren't content to have an opinion or to believe something. No, you've got to be RIGHT!

Sad, really.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 07/15/10 - 11:08 am
Fiat you can choose to do

Fiat you can choose to do whatever you like and others can choose to do or refrain from doing whatever they like as well. You aren't judge and jury nor do you have all the answers. Some of us believe that the same opportunities are available to all and those who choose not to take advantage of them can depend on their family and friends or succumb to the much needed social Darwinism this country needs.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 07/15/10 - 12:33 pm
Way to go Fiat Lux good point

Way to go Fiat Lux good point to whats her SN that starts with a C. Better watch it though she has a habit of reporting you to the Chronicle Police....

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/15/10 - 03:10 pm
You're absolutely correct,

You're absolutely correct, StoriesIhaveread, she does have that habit, and they seem to like her despite how much the rest of us find her offensive. In fact, she did manage to have a comment removed, the dear.

It was this, posted at about 9:25am:
_________________________________________

"Boy, Corgimom, you sure read a lot more into my comment than I ever had in mind. But that's your standard routine, so...

It was actually an exhortation to people like you not to be so darn quick to unload about this guy without knowing anything about his issues or problems.

But, hey girl, don't let a little call for civility stop you from your usual [somewhat blunt description of her attack mode]. [Oblique and understated invitation to pursue other activities], mon vieux."

_________________________________________

Note that I've used blanks for anything that could even remotely be construed as offensive even though none of it included filtered words, or anything particular striking, and nothing at all inaccurate. She just didn't happen to like it that I called her on being petty, and the moderators are, well, we all have our opinions about them.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/10 - 03:55 pm
"Do you do any kind of

"Do you do any kind of sacrificing for the sake of others who may or may not deserve it?"

Fiat Lux- I most certainly do.

When I spend several hundred dollars a year, and volunteer hundreds of hours in a school, you would call that- what?

When I lived in the projects, I financially supported a fatherless child AND his dog because his mother got arrested. A neighbor took him in and I supported him so that he wouldn't go into foster care.

I also fed kids, hauled them to school when they missed the bus, talked to their teachers, helped care for an sick neighbor, helped neighbors naviagate bureaucracy, took people that didn't have transportation to the hospital, provided first aid and medical supplies because people didn't have money or transportation- I could go on and on, but I won't. And I did that for 3 years.

I did hands on work- not just sit back and write a check. Anybody can do that.

And I, too, volunteered at the Master's Table.

But since you are involved in an organization that helps the homeless, you will have no problem finding a place for him after he gets out of jail, right?

I'm glad I'm not like you too, that thinks they can look at a picture of a man in a newspaper and make all sorts of assumptions about them. Good luck with that.

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/10 - 04:00 pm
Oh, and btw-storiesIhaveread-

Oh, and btw-storiesIhaveread- when you say that I report people that say things to me? That is an out-and-out lie.

I never saw that comment- until just now.

And Fiat- there you go making assumptions again. I never saw that remark, I didn't report it- and you are assuming I did.

I stand behind my posts, and I expect others to do the same.

I get posts pulled all the time-and I just move on. I don't accuse people of reporting me, I don't make false assumptions, I don't spread lies about people. Because I'm an adult.

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/10 - 05:21 pm
Fiat Lux, it's totally ok

Fiat Lux, it's totally ok with me if you want to call me petty.

Doesn't bother me one bit.

I have had K kids call the teacher and I "You- you- big fat meanies"- and it means the same as when a poster calls me names. And I take it just as seriously.

This is the most free fun anywhere on the Net.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/15/10 - 07:54 pm
Corgi, I stand corrected on

Corgi, I stand corrected on my assumption that you reported my comment. However, if you would bother to READ my comments, you might realize I was deliberately AVOIDING making assumptions about the guy in question and exhorting others to do the same.

Get. A. Clue. Please.

And I do think you are petty when you go into attack mode. In addition, you distort what people say all the time. It's a form of lying about them, whether you acknowledge that or not. I just don't think you can claim innocence because you didn't understand. I think you do it deliberately and regularly.

And way to go on your kindness to the people in need around you in the past and presumable currently in schools. Why don't you practice that with the people on the AC forums as well for a change. You don't have to be so aggressive so much of the time. You attack when there's absolutely no reason to, when discussion is the right level, and bring tension and ill-will where there was no need for any of that. What's up with that?

If you do that just so you can have fun jerking people around, then shame on you.

Runner46
Runner46 07/16/10 - 07:02 am
This is the peak of

This is the peak of frustration. Hungary and homeless, apparently Cannot get a job for food money, so get yourself arrested. It solves the problem, temporarily.

corgimom
corgimom 07/16/10 - 08:48 am
Fiat, if you want to get

Fiat, if you want to get upset about postings on a blog (postings on a blog???), that's your right to do so. I don't, I have better things to do. I don't take anything on here personally. It's a BLOG, for Pete's sake.

And I find it very amusing that you speak about "kindness"- while calling me petty and accusing me of things I didn't do. But that's ok, too.

"Robust discussion" means exactly that. If you want to take it as "an attack", that's your right to do so, too. When people challenge me on here, I don't take it as an attack. Why would I?

When someone challenges me on what I post, I look at my post with critical eyes. Because I then realize that what I posted could certainly be construed differently than what I wrote, and it makes me think about what I wrote- and it's made me a better writer and helped clarify what I really think. And it helps me explore my ideas- because I don't think I have the answer for everything.

I enjoy the different points of view on here. Whether I agree with them or not, I like looking at things from all sides.

And if you don't feel that way, that's ok, too. Whatever.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/16/10 - 10:02 am
Corgimom, I appreciate the

Corgimom, I appreciate the conciliatory tone, if that's what you intended. Labelling some of your comments as petty is not unkindness, and I wouldn't even bother doing that if you weren't so aggressive about everything. But my biggest problem with what you post is the way you nail people, myself included, for things we didn't say, don't believe and weren't even proposing in the first place.

Case in point: I list a possible, completely generic progression of circumstances that can lead to homelessness and then desperation. It was not applied directly to this guy or any other individual. It was simply a model based on decades of observation and work experience. It also was accurate. You can insert any cause you like for why a person can't keep a job--poor impulse control, drug or alcohol addiction, mental illness, no skills or education, rotten hostile personality, bad luck. The cause is not really important here; the progression, along with our willingness to unload hatefulness on someone like him, is the point I was making. And I did it with irony and sarcasm.

But you didn't respond to that point. You decided, weirdly, that I was making assertions about this guy's story in particular, even though I indicated in the same comment that, not knowing this guys issues or problems, we ought to be reluctant to unload on him on the article forum/blog.

I mean, how did you miss that?

So, instead, you make an assertion that takes for granted that I believe an employer should hire someone so out of control. Where the heck did you get that? IMO, based on the frequency of that off the wall logic, there is something completely defective in how you analyze what other people say. I don't believe anyone who reads my comments even infrequently would think I was that stupid and out of touch, but you regularly put out that kind of schlock. I can't help but wonder why, since you clearly are not stupid, and the only conclusions I can draw are that you simply are malevolent. And petty.

I would love to be able to come to other conclusions. I would rather debate and discuss with intelligence than deal with nonsense like the following:

"And I guess by your viewpoint, any business owner should be ok with someone coming into their business and destroying it, and that they should hire anybody and everybody that comes into their business looking for a job."

I 'm not sure I can even imagine the mental gyrations that would produce that conclusion and sentence.

And I don't believe you have the first clue about what it means to be a Christian. You seem to have the shallowest of definitions, all of them rooted and grounded in "being nice".

You simply aren't one with the wherewithal to advise anyone on what "would be a very Christian thing to do". You use distorted cultural ideas about Christianity to set up absurd, inaccurate benchmarks for Christian behavior, and with no other purpose than to mock and accuse actual Christians for failing to meet your false standards.

That is genuine malevolence. It is also banal and petty. And you do it all the time.

If you want to have a genuine, intelligent discussion or debate, start treating the rest of us with respect.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/16/10 - 10:22 am
I too enjoy "robust

I too enjoy "robust discussion", and I take distortion, misrepresentation and false accusations seriously. I love a good challenge, but I'm not one to allow repeated, relentless and baseless, irrelevant attacks to go unanswered. I don't take it personally--why would I care about snarkiness from someone who doesn't know me except so superficially? But it is my choice that the truth is worth defending.

I may not always be right and I may not always have the all information I should have. When in doubt, I realize I only have an opinion and that is what I put out there, as nothing more than an opinion. And even if I put something out as fact, with the ability to support it objectively, I'm still open to other facts and even other interpretations of the facts.

I'm just not open to being taunted by people who it is clear don't know more than I, and who only appear interested in scoring points and having fun at other people's expense. There's something a little bit sick about that kind of "fun".

sueboo418
sueboo418 07/16/10 - 10:45 am
I don't see how corgimom has

I don't see how corgimom has any time at all to volunteer or do much of anything else because she spends all her time on here. LOLOL

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/16/10 - 11:49 am
I'm still laughing, Sue! I've

I'm still laughing, Sue! I've also spent a ton of time doing it the past few days, but because of being under the weather. Missed two volunteer sessions myself.