Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Suspect in Waynesboro slayings to stay in jail

WAYNESBORO, Ga. --- The man accused of stabbing an elderly couple to death must remain in jail pending possible indictment and trial, a judge ruled Friday.

Tony Grubbs has a long criminal history, including a robbery conviction.   Special
Special
Tony Grubbs has a long criminal history, including a robbery conviction.

Tony O. Grubbs, 41, has been connected to the slayings of Ralph and Trudy Gordon by early DNA tests, District Attorney Ashley Wright said during Grubbs' bond hearing in Burke County Superior Court.

Sometime between June 18 and 20, Ralph and Trudy Gordon, ages 82 and 83 respectively, were killed in their Ninth Street home, Wright said. Ralph Gordon was stabbed 15 times, and Trudy Gordon was stabbed 30 times.

The Gordons' home, which the elderly couple kept very neat, was ransacked and items were stolen, including a number of rings that Trudy Gordon wore on a daily basis, Wright said.

Investigators believe they have evidence proving Grubbs pawned the rings before anyone knew the elderly couple was dead, Wright said.

Grubbs turned himself in on June 22, two days after a family member found the Gordons dead.

Wright, who opposed Grubbs' release, told Senior Judge William M. Fleming Jr. of Grubbs' extensive criminal history -- 1985 burglary, 1988 burglary, 1989 burglary and two other theft-related charges, 1993 theft and weapon violation, 1997 theft, 2004 battery, stalking and trespass, and a 2006 robbery conviction.

Grubbs pleaded guilty in Richmond County Superior Court in 2006 to the robbery charges. Judge Carl C. Brown Jr. sentenced him to four years in prison followed by 11 years on probation. According to a report in The Augusta Chronicle, Grubbs was arrested for trying to snatch cash from a woman's hand at a Deans Bridge Road gas station on Dec. 29, 2005.

Members of the Gordons' family, some traveling from as far away as Washington state to attend Friday's hearing, petitioned the judge to deny bond.

Brenda Gordon Richler said that after what happened to her parents no one in Burke County would be safe if Grubbs was released.

Fleming denied bond, finding that Grubbs' release could pose a threat to the community.

KatieLou
KatieLou 07/09/10 - 04:01 pm
Gosh, what a surprise.

Gosh, what a surprise.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 07/09/10 - 04:03 pm
what lawyer in their righrt

what lawyer in their righrt mind, other than a "scumbag" lawyer would even ask for bail....all bail requests for any violent crime should come with a condition that the accused live with and be monitored by the lawyer requesting bond...then on top of that the lawyer be responsible financially in the event the accused commits another crime whild out on bail..i bet there would be very few if any bail requests and more importantly allow the "scumbag" lawyer to "put up or be quiet" when in comes to the belief of his/her client's guilt or innocence

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/09/10 - 04:09 pm
I was in Wal Mart on Bobby

I was in Wal Mart on Bobby Jones a couple of days ago when I overheard a conversation between the cashier and an elderly woman. I seems that the elderly woman was neighbors with the Gordon's and that she was really having a difficult time dealing with the tragedy. She said that she could not be still and that she had to keep moving. I spoke to her and said that I knew two ways that she was coping. Reading her Bible and praying were my guesses and she said that she got down on her knees daily.

Maybe we all should take note of this lady's faith and pray a prayer of thanksgiving for all we have. Also, we should pray for the Gordon family.

speeding
speeding 07/09/10 - 04:10 pm
This is as low as it gets

This is as low as it gets

oldenoughtoknowbetter
oldenoughtoknowbetter 07/09/10 - 05:25 pm
This guy needs to fry.

This guy needs to fry.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/09/10 - 05:29 pm
I wonder if this is an old

I wonder if this is an old picture or if it's his mugshot from his arrest for these murders. If it's the latter, then this is one very scary dude. Put your hand on his chest and I'll be there's nothing there to feel.

chascush
chascush 07/09/10 - 10:24 pm
He should be put down like a

He should be put down like a mad dog!

esmc68
esmc68 07/10/10 - 01:23 am
he looks like a likely

he looks like a likely candidate for one of obamas czars..

dreamchaser
dreamchaser 07/10/10 - 07:02 am
Needs a bullet now!

Needs a bullet now!

RushLimbuttbubba
RushLimbuttbubba 07/10/10 - 07:37 am
Great comments.....except one

Great comments.....except one esmc68. This guy is a [filtered word]who never should have been out of prison.

"Grubbs, who was released from prison in January, was still on probation at the time of the Gordons' slayings." That ole "out on probation" works every time doesn't it.

"Assistant Public Defender Debra Neumann asked the judge to consider Grubbs' obtainment of a GED and the ability to live with his sister if released." Why don't you let him live with you Debra and then you can tutor him to get his JD?!? (Law Degree).

"Fleming denied bond"...Hooray!!!! a Judge with a set of 'scales'. I salute you Mr. Fleming!!!

"Grubbs' release could pose a threat to the community. Yes, yes..........I would feel very threatened if you were in my community....you might want to rob and kill me and my family....I don't want that to happen so I am very prepared to defend my home and life from people like this scumbag:-| Those people did not have to die like that!

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 07/10/10 - 10:59 am
HEY, I don't know what got

HEY, I don't know what got you folks all riled up? REMEMBER what our LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS tell us to do about this. DO NOT BE ALARMED! I suppose according to them, we are suppose to live with the crime surrounding us and go on our merry way. NOT!

GuzzyridersWife
GuzzyridersWife 07/10/10 - 11:25 am
you no i got a call from my

you no i got a call from my best friend when this happened, and i live in las vegas. the call came from brenda gordon. we talked for 3 hours, when she told me what happend i was devastated to hear that her parents were killed, massacured, i was so sick in my stomach i almost threw up after i talked to my best friend, i kept thinking as i was listening to her tell me what had happend, what kind of person would do such a thing in such a manner, a born killer,, i see this picuture up here of this man and i see his eyes, cold, souless,no conchence,no remorse, my friends parents trusted this man, gave him a second chance, why ill never understand, im sicken by the thought that they would even concider letting this ingrate free to kill agian, its time to draw the line, the line of people who are let go to reaffend, there should be a island some where, where you could drop the ingrates off and let them live and fend for them selfs there, away from society, to my friend brenda, sis, im so sorry for your father and mother, i cant fathom the agony they went threw during the tourturus moments of there last minutes, im so heart broken for them and you, it has chanced some thing inside me, i feel empty right now, i have no more words to say, except, i love you brenda with all my heart, please try to stay stong and do what ever it takes to keep this man locked up, you as there daughter owe that to your mom and dad. im behind you 150 percent.. love you forever sis.. mar

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 07/10/10 - 01:23 pm
Richmnd Cty Votr should be

Richmnd Cty Votr should be ashamed to use this tragedy as an occasion to bash the police. I'm sure Sheriff Strength would consider your application if you had the courage to give it a try.

Indigo
Indigo 07/10/10 - 03:00 pm
Put him in general population

Put him in general population and forget to take off the handcuffs. Tell them he likes little boys.