Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Police looking for roadside trickster

Authorities were looking Friday for a woman they say has flagged down vehicles and asked for money in the downtown Augusta area at least five times since May.

Eva Smith  Sheriff's Office Photo
Sheriff's Office Photo
Eva Smith

Eva Carrol Smith, 44, flags down cars, sometimes with a gas can, asking for money and promising the victims that a police investigator will reward them later with cash or a job, police said. The suspect, who frequents the corner of Emmett and Parnell streets, also gives victims a telephone number for the Richmond County Sheriff's Office.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 07/09/10 - 12:42 pm
These tyoe if panhandlers

These tyoe if panhandlers should be banished from the streets.

fishman960
fishman960 07/09/10 - 12:51 pm
I have heard some of the most

I have heard some of the most convincing stories from 'panhandlers'. Usually, I will let them go through their whole routine and then maybe give them a few dollars for their performance. Bottom line, if ANY ONE approaches you and asks for money, you are being duped.

veggie-d
veggie-d 07/09/10 - 01:07 pm
i always reach in my pocket

i always reach in my pocket and tell'em i was JUST going to ask THEM for some change!...and i move along!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/09/10 - 01:21 pm
Yep, they are giving the rest

Yep, they are giving the rest of us panhandlers a bad name!!

wlightnin42
wlightnin42 07/09/10 - 01:32 pm
5 times since May? How bout

5 times since May? How bout about 5 times this week. Did this really make it in the paper? I see this everytime I go down town and This is the first to make the paper. I thought maybe she pulled a gun on someone.

stillamazed
stillamazed 07/09/10 - 01:34 pm
All panhandlers have a sob

All panhandlers have a sob story. I saw a woman in front of University Hospital asking for cab money claiming that a friend dropped her off for an appointment and never returned to get her then, 3 days later the same woman was in the parking lot of the Evans Target with a similar story, she didn't even realize that she had approached me at the University, she was dressed really nice so anyone would believe her.... I reported her and a while later the county sheriff was picking her and a man up on Washington Road........

emilymum
emilymum 07/09/10 - 02:21 pm
This a 'SHE'? And she's only

This a 'SHE'? And she's only 44???? Whoa, the beggar life is harsh.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 07/09/10 - 02:35 pm
I refuse to hand money over

I refuse to hand money over to panhandlers. Period. If you tell me you're hungry, stay put and I'll go get a hamburger and bring it back to you. If you're not willing to wait and only want the cash, you ain't hungry....

Go_Pro
Go_Pro 07/09/10 - 02:53 pm
she's still pregnant? i

she's still pregnant? i think she's here during the summer since she was doing the same thing last year. you can also find her on the corner of telfair and 3rd and by may park!

pkstephens332
pkstephens332 07/09/10 - 02:57 pm
This lady got into my car one

This lady got into my car one afternoon while I was downtown stopped at one of the side streets. I had my window halfway down and she was asking what time it was while she proceeded to open my car door and get in!! I grapped my purse and put it in my lap...scared the crap out of me!!She claimed she was pregnant with twins and her husband was over seas and the bank wouldnt cash her "military checks." Once she found out that I wasnt giving her any money she got out. I normally keep my doors locked but this once they weren't. I dont go downtown for these reaseons!

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/09/10 - 04:33 pm
I think I see a common theme

I think I see a common theme here. From the president down to the corner crack ho they all have a sob story about why they need my money. Just tell that you have already contributed to them under Obamacare.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/09/10 - 05:07 pm
One time I hesitated when an

One time I hesitated when an old guy on a bike asked me to buy him a coke at the Mickey D drive-through. Before I came to my senses, he'd been shooed off by the window cashier. I will never stop wishing I had bought that drink for him because I will never forget the look on his face as he was shooed away like he was a dog.

Now I mostly just give them a $20 if I have it. It doesn't hurt me and it may be the only kindness they receive all day, or all week or all year, regardless of how they use it.

I find it easy to justify doing that because at some point it could be me, or worse, my child who desperately needs the kindness of strangers instead of their uninformed judgment or condemnation.

Besides, it's not something being stolen from me, and who knows how many times we have been approached by angels unawares? I never miss a chance to be kind if I have my wits about me, especially to people who aren't likely to return the favor.

jackragg
jackragg 07/09/10 - 05:59 pm
This woman actually took me.

This woman actually took me. I was visiting my mom at University Hospital and as I was leaving she told me that she was visiting a family member and needed a ride to her Aunt's house. On they way she tells me her husbands in the Army and she's PREGNANT WITH TWINS. Well you can see by her picture that this struck me as more than a little odd. She also tells me she's going to her Aunt's to borrow money so she can get back to Fort Jackson. I gave her a twenty. When we get to her Aunt's house over in the 2nd and Wrightsboro area instead of her Aunt's house she wants to be dropped off in a cut. Stupid me.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/09/10 - 06:11 pm
You can't be taken if you

You can't be taken if you give it away freely. If you don't give it away freely, why bother at all?

curly123053
curly123053 07/09/10 - 07:31 pm
I spent just over 6 months in

I spent just over 6 months in Houston with my brother as he battled cancer in the last year, and you would not believe the open panhandling that goes on there. The panhandlers stake out the traffic lights coming off the freeways there, even in the middle of the city. They weave back and forth through the stopped cars looking for handouts. At some of the traffic lights you will see some carrying a bucket of water with a squeegee offering to clean your windshield for a tip, or selling bottles of water, or even selling copies of the Houston Chronicle. When the traffic light turns green they are on the shoulder calmly waiting for the next red light. This practice is obviously legal throughout Houston and Harris County as I have seen them getting money from officers in patrol cars and even from fire trucks. The panhandling in Augusta is virtually non-existent compared to Houston. That was the biggest "culture shock" practice I saw while in Houston with my brother. I wonder if that practice is done in Atlanta or other places? And by the way, my brother's cancer fight was unsuccessful in case anybody was wondering, but being in Houston all that time was an experience of seeing a lot of different cultures. Glad to be back home though.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 07/09/10 - 09:26 pm
The only "dope man" is the

The only "dope man" is the idiot who gives her money.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 07/09/10 - 09:26 pm
And I'll bet she voted for

And I'll bet she voted for Obama...............

getalife
getalife 07/09/10 - 10:23 pm
She probably voted 10-15

She probably voted 10-15 times for Obama!

Dixieman
Dixieman 07/09/10 - 11:03 pm
She is Obama's Richmond

She is Obama's Richmond County chairwoman!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/09/10 - 11:42 pm
Have to disagree with you

Have to disagree with you Humbleopinion. If you don't want to give money to beggars, don't do it. But if someone chooses to do it with their own money, who are you calling them an idiot?

Do we need to make sure you approve of their worthiness before we give a small amount of money to them?

That's really grim.

KSL
KSL 07/09/10 - 11:57 pm
I would not ever call someone

I would not ever call someone an idiot for choosing to give a beggar money. However, most beggars are liars, so we choose not to give them money. We generally question them when approached in order to determine true need. They always fail the needs test.

KSL
KSL 07/09/10 - 11:57 pm
Who cuts her hair?

Who cuts her hair?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/10/10 - 01:12 am
Her barber.

Her barber.

Miss Hap
Miss Hap 07/10/10 - 04:47 pm
Fiat Lux, people have been

Fiat Lux, people have been mean to me all day will you give me $20 along with a coke? Thanks!