News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Masked gunman fires shots, no one injured

One shot was fired but no one injured Friday when a masked gunman tried to rob Berry Smith Sanitation.

The business owner, Berry Smith, told investigators the robbers were driving a dark blue Oldsmobile that pulled up to his business in the 1300 block of New Savannah Road around noon.

The car's passenger was holding a pistol in his hand as he got out of the car and pulled a ski mask over his face. An employee inside the business tried to slam the door shut on the approaching robber, but not before the gunman got his arm into the store and fired a shot, a report says.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/09/10 - 11:32 pm
I wonder what these bozos

I wonder what these bozos expected to get, robbing a garbage hauler. Witless wonders.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 07/10/10 - 12:20 am
My thoughts exactly Fiat.....

My thoughts exactly Fiat..... who holds up a sanitation company??? Doesn't make much sense at all....

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/10/10 - 12:51 am
Criminals are moronic wastes

Criminals are moronic wastes of flesh. I'm glad no innocent person was hurt, but I sooo wish it was the workers who fired the shot and stopped the lowlife permanently!!!!! Should have at least broke his fricken arm in that door, he'd be easy to find in the emergency room. Wait... what am I talking about... he wouldn't be punished worth a flip by the joke of a justice system we have... my first thought was a better idea!!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/10/10 - 12:52 am
I'm soooo ready to start

I'm soooo ready to start reading articles about a few of them taking one to the head... maybe others will get the picture!!!!

dickworth1
dickworth1 07/10/10 - 02:54 am
Maybe the bozo wanted to talk

Maybe the bozo wanted to talk trash!

3g
3g 07/10/10 - 07:01 am
Agreed Takeastand , can't

Agreed Takeastand , can't wait to read a story about someone putting one of these criminals down in self - defense , if only we could be so lucky as to get that oppurtunity !!

RushLimbuttbubba
RushLimbuttbubba 07/10/10 - 07:56 am
Let me have the first

Let me have the first go.....then you guys can have what is left...BOOM!

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/10/10 - 07:57 am
It's open season on us folks.

It's open season on us folks. Keep your gun with you at all times, in your homes and in your businesses. These punks with guns are also scared cowards and will kill you for no reason. None of them are very bright to begin with and their first reaction is to shoot you. You must become aware of who is coming at you and be prepared to shoot them. If an unknown car stops in front of your house or pulls into your driveway, if a stranger is in your yard or comes to your door, if someone approaches you in a parking lot or on the street, be prepared to defend yourself. The cops can't do it and the courts won't do it. The cop's name for you is the VICTIM. The court's name for the perp is the DEFENDANT and that is because they are more concerned with DEFENDING the crook and protecting their rights than they are with convicting them. Even if they get convicted the judges turn them loose on probation so they can get their kickback from the probation contractor. The VICTIM is totally lost in the system after the cop writes their report. The only way the VICTIM gets any justice is if they shoot the punks during the commission of the crime. If you don't shoot them they will be out of jail and back to do it again within 24 hours. So shoot to kill and save a future victim's life. It's the right thing to do.

disssman
disssman 07/10/10 - 08:23 am
The real shame is, the guns

The real shame is, the guns were bought by us taxpayers or stolen in a burglary. I law without teeth is useless. Why don't we have our jails at the very edge of the county? Because it would be inconvenient for the crooks family when they go visiting. Sheriff Arpaio where are you when we need law enforcement sooo badly. It almost appears that we have no law enforcement in this county.

Tots
Tots 07/10/10 - 10:01 am
Dichotomy@7:57am-I liked your

Dichotomy@7:57am-I liked your post.

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 07/10/10 - 10:16 am
Most people don't realize how

Most people don't realize how easy it is to get your Georgia Firearms License. Go to your county probate court, pay your $35-50.00 fee, get finger printed, wait 30-60 days and wala - you can now carry your pistol on you outside of your home, car, or place of business. Snag a pistol self defense course for less than $100 and you are ready to rock and roll. Very few constraints on getting a GFL - obviously felons need not apply.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/10/10 - 02:56 pm
Well, I want to say that this

Well, I want to say that this doesn't sound right at all. In fact, I would be willing to bet this was no 'robbery' at all. I may be wrong, or maybe being in law enforcement and security has made me too paranoid (is that spelled right?), buut I smell a big fat rat here.

Miss Hap
Miss Hap 07/10/10 - 04:33 pm
Whaaaaat?! Crooks are trying

Whaaaaat?! Crooks are trying to rob a garbage collecion business? Whats the matter? Have all the banks run out of money?

speeding
speeding 07/10/10 - 08:37 pm
Small brains don't have much

Small brains don't have much to work with.

KSL
KSL 07/10/10 - 08:44 pm

Augusta Commission votes 7-0 to raise property taxes

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.