Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Victim is family's third death since April

A day after a Hephzibah couple were found shot to death off Glenn Hills Drive, investigators were releasing few details about the case as they continued to conduct interviews with people in the community.

Investigators walk into woods across from Glenn Hills Middle School where two people were found dead Monday from multiple gunshot wounds.   Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff

However, investigators did confirm Tuesday that the death of one victim, 19-year-old Kayla Marie Wells, was the latest in a family that has seen three people die since April.

Sgt. Blaise Dresser said toxicology tests are pending in the deaths of Wells' parents.

Her mother, Pamela, died in late April, and her father, Dorlan, died in early May.

Dresser said investigators looked into the deaths because they occurred so close together.

"We went out to that one because of our concern for why the two people died within a week of each other," he said.

Dresser stressed that there were no wounds on either that would suggest a violent death and said their deaths were likely from medical or natural causes.

Wells and her boyfriend, Jeramie Anthony Hammonds, 20, were found dead of multiple gunshot wounds Monday afternoon.

Their bodies were lying in a wooded area that has trails used by ATV riders.

The couple lived in the 4500 block of Greystone Circle in Hephzibah.

SouthAugustan
SouthAugustan 07/06/10 - 11:45 am
Actually, the mother died in

Actually, the mother died in April and the father died in May.

stillamazed
stillamazed 07/06/10 - 11:53 am
Dad 44, mom 46, pretty young

Dad 44, mom 46, pretty young to just be dying of natural causes and so close together, I think the deaths should be looked into deeper......strange case.

OnlyinAgs
OnlyinAgs 07/06/10 - 01:00 pm
Why is this news? who needed

Why is this news? who needed to know that about all three of those dead people?

GingerRhea
GingerRhea 07/06/10 - 01:12 pm
OnlyinAgs: This is news

OnlyinAgs: This is news because of the simple fact that maybe JUST maybe someone will come forward with information on the monsters who killed Kayla....For a young girl who didn't have her parents alive to even see her graduate..They died so close together..Maybe someone will gratefully come forward to help bring her and Jerome's killers to justice and help the family Kayla had left heal knowing her killers are behind bars..Have some respect dude!

jobediah88
jobediah88 07/06/10 - 01:29 pm
OnlyinAGS.........grow a

OnlyinAGS.........grow a heart! This is a very unusual situation.....ever thought that maybe something may be linked to her parents deaths?!?! Oh yeah of course you didn't!

sueboo418
sueboo418 07/06/10 - 02:16 pm
OnlyinAGS...are you for

OnlyinAGS...are you for real???? Whatever the situation, this is quite a tragedy for the family left behind to deal with. I think it is QUITE newsworthy. I have a few choice names for you but you aren't worth getting deleted over.

cattyann10
cattyann10 07/06/10 - 02:38 pm
I used to work with Pam,

I used to work with Pam, Kayla's mother. She was such a hard working and honest person. Shame on you only in AGS, this is news to me and for all of the other people who know this family and are heart broken! Prayers are with this family.

luckie
luckie 07/06/10 - 03:51 pm
maninthamirror: Do you

maninthamirror: Do you believe they were just taking a stroll? Is it possible that they were disposed of there and the incident happened elsewhere? They are being quiet about the investigation. Does everyone on this forum believe that the murders actually took place there? My heart goes out to the families. No matter what your background is, this is traumatic to deal with. Where is his family?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 07/07/10 - 04:54 am
In a culture where human life

In a culture where human life gets little or no respect and as a result has little or no value, deaths occur more often than in different cultures. This culture is propagated by federal subsidy systems and early deaths are one of several unintended consequences that result from these feel good programs. No personal responsibility leads to no respect which leads to early demise. Not every time, but way more often then in cultures that embrace personal responsibility.
This type of madness will continue.

asoldier
asoldier 07/07/10 - 05:28 am
You all need to grow up! The

You all need to grow up! The death of this young couple was not the fault of the republicans or the democrats. Blame cannot be placed on the color of the skin for either the perpetrators or the victims. The blame can be placed squarely on the shoulders of the coward or cowards who so callously took the lives of a young couple who will never have a chance to live. To onlyinAGS this is news because a young couple was brutally murdered in cold blood. Despite wither it turns out to be related to the death of her parents she deserves justice as does her young man. My deepest sympathy to the families.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 07/07/10 - 06:15 am
from a

from a tiny-narrow-minded-tunnel-vision-point of view, asoldier, you're right, but you tend to miss the whole picture.

steelermoose1
steelermoose1 07/07/10 - 07:29 am
humble....that is quite an

humble....that is quite an astute observation. Well said!! True

corgimom
corgimom 07/07/10 - 07:30 am
Right, JC, there were no

Right, JC, there were no murders before welfare began. Ever. Got it.

keeanzia
keeanzia 07/07/10 - 07:47 am
I agree stillamazed.

I agree stillamazed.

lsmith
lsmith 07/07/10 - 08:51 am
Ats tragic as these deaths

Ats tragic as these deaths are, it appears that both youths made some bad choices along the road of life that possibly contributed to their untimely deaths. The male obviously got involved in gangs and thuggery and lord only knows what else.
As for the parents they may have objected to the choices their daughter was making and were quieted. Maybe, but who knows. I think it's very fitting that the sheriffs department has reopened their murders. It sure seems likely their deaths had some un-natural ending.
Pay no attention to ONLYINAGS he/she whatever seldom has anything to say of value. It's a shame the "report" button in here prohibits more robust and challenging dialogue on things.
My sympathies to the families.

usafvet
usafvet 07/07/10 - 08:48 am
Very good Corgimom. I'm sure

Very good Corgimom. I'm sure JC will be more at ease now that you have cleared up for him what he was thinking and meant to say. Some of us need that superior input.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/07/10 - 10:43 am
THOMSON Tuesday, Jul. 6 3:56

THOMSON
Tuesday, Jul. 6 3:56 PM
FROM:
Man, woman found dead along trails
May God be with the Families of these two young people as they grieve their loss.......does it really matter about their race and social standing.....these were really just kids....it can happen in any family so I will pray that something like this doesn't happen in the lives of all these rude people....With Prayers & Sympathy to the Families.........

Corgimom
Tuesday, Jul. 6 4:08 PM
FROM:
Man, woman found dead along trails
Thomson, while yes, murders CAN happen to anybody, most murder victims know their murderers- and either they, or the murderer, are engaged in activities that are not socially acceptable.

Wise people know this, and they go to great lengths to avoid criminals- including family members.

Corgimom, I can say that most of the times your comments are accepted and accurate but "Wise people know this, and they go to great lengths to avoid criminals - including family members" sort of hit me the wrong way.

A true Case:

A young man of 19 taking courses of Nuclear Engineering at a local tech school was out riding one evening with two of his friends. All were known to be well brought up in respectable families, never involved with drugs and have never violated the laws in any matter. All graduated from high schools with honorable grades and had good life's ahead of them. This one evening one of his friends wanted to see one of his ex-girl friends. The three arrived at the location and without knowing it, interrupted a drug deal taken place. This young man was shot one time through the heart and died instantly, the other two were shot in head while sitting in the car. This young man was stuffed in the trunk of his car and along with his two friends, (one still alive) was driven into a local lake.

The families involved would have accepted HELL instead of what would follow them immediately, present and in the future. (Marriages have been destroyed, very good business have be lost, and tears are still shed on a daily bases.

The gun that this juvenile used was given to him by his father for protection while performing tranactions.. All parties involved are WHITE.

It is a known fact, the young men were wise youths, and the family members never associated with criminals.

The young man was my "Son"

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 07/07/10 - 10:51 am
I'm curious.... what proof

I'm curious.... what proof does anyone have that the male victim was involved in gangs or 'thuggery', as one person put it? From a tattoo? Any arrests for gang-related activity? Drug-related activity? Criminal record of any kind?
I remember reading that the female victim had tats as well...something about stars, right? What gang was she part of, The Rainbow Brights? Dora the Explorer Posse?
The bigger picture here is that someone out there (1 or more) shot these two people to death in the woods and left them there like garbage. THAT is the person who's behavior should be troubling you.

corgimom
corgimom 07/07/10 - 11:37 am
CG, anyone can be the victim

CG, anyone can be the victim of a random crime. I am deeply sorry about what happened to your son.

But the truth is, in the vast majority of cases, murder victims know their murderers.

KingJames
KingJames 07/07/10 - 11:50 am
Cofgimom, please read my post

Cofgimom, please read my post about Laney High School again at http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/education/2010-06-29/laney-high-positi.... I think you would be surprised that you didn't grasp any of what I was saying.

KingJames
KingJames 07/07/10 - 11:59 am
My condolences to this

My condolences to this family. I hope the authorities figure out what's going on.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/07/10 - 12:04 pm
Kingjames, (12:50)how is your

Kingjames, (12:50)how is your post related to this topic?

sueboo418
sueboo418 07/07/10 - 12:05 pm
Corgimom you may be right

Corgimom you may be right that allot of the time the murder victims know their murderers but at a time like this does it really matter? I don't understand why people want to start slinging mud when there are family members greiving and if I 'm not mistaken their is a mother that has lost a daughter, granddaughter and son-in-law or father to her granddaughter so let the investigators do their job and keep all these negative thoughts to yourselves folks. My prayers to these families.

KingJames
KingJames 07/07/10 - 12:18 pm
CobaltGeorge, 12:50 is

CobaltGeorge, 12:50 is specifically for Corgimom. I'm calling her attention to a previous discussion. I can't send her a private message so this was the only way to talk to her. My 12:59 post is condolences to the family. Who are you, the post police?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/07/10 - 12:30 pm
KingJames, you took my post

KingJames, you took my post the wrong way, sorry. I just keep reading your post over and over and could not make a connection. I understand why now and I am in no way a post police or spelling corrector. I didn't mean to offend you in any way.

madinnasc
madinnasc 07/07/10 - 12:30 pm
I totally agree SuzyQ, who

I totally agree SuzyQ, who said this was gang related!! 211 could have been his (Brooklyn) area code, I see alot of that around here. Please people dont ASSUME!!! Who are we to judge anybody ? No one deserves that BLACK ,WHITE, YELLOW, PURPLE or GREEN!!!! Murder is murder, lives were lost. We dont know the details and to all of you with these ridiculous racist comments you need to get a LIFE.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/07/10 - 12:32 pm
It was a simple question from

It was a simple question from Cobalt George, KingJames, not an attack. Maybe cut back on the caffeine, huh?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/07/10 - 12:35 pm
LSmith, I wondered about some

LSmith, I wondered about some of those things (9:51am) myself, and promptly felt guilty about it. Still, life can be strange and awful that way sometimes...

GingerRhea
GingerRhea 07/07/10 - 12:46 pm
I will say this to everyone

I will say this to everyone on here who are jumping to conclusions. Who knows the reasons why my friend and her boyfriend were murdered. The fact is that they were, and dumped into the woods about 10 miles or so from her house. Maybe she knew who killed her maybe she didn't. We won't know until we find out who murdered her. This is not about her or her boyfriends tatoos. This is about family and friends mourning the lost of a young girl who was bright, beautiful, sweet, and an inspiration. I can't say anything on her boyfriend because I did not know him... Please stop making assumptions and trying to turn this into a huge stat. Take it somewhere else so both of their families do not have to read the insensitivity of some people of the human race.

KingJames
KingJames 07/07/10 - 01:04 pm
Cobalt and Fiat, you guys are

Cobalt and Fiat, you guys are taking my response the wrong way. As a personal rule, I don't attack people. I often ask for clarification or even proof to support statements, but will never attack anyone. I'm usually very serious, so people tend to not expect humor from me, and sometimes misinterpret it as sarcasm. The last sentence in my previous post was not meant to upset you at all.

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...