Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teen dead after Monday's shooting

A teenager who was one of three people wounded in a shooting Sunday on Second Avenue died Monday.

Richmond County sheriff's Capt. Scott Peebles confirmed that Darnell Lorenzo Brown, 19, died in the hospital. He had been shot in the head.

Deputies are seeking Jerome Jerrod Sturgis, also known as Dirt. Considered armed and dangerous, Sturgis was last seen about 5:30 p.m. Sunday wearing a Dallas Mavericks jersey and blue jeans and riding a black mountain bike.

Darren Wayne Howard, 19, was shot in the hand, and a 12-year-old boy was shot in the chest, said James Kelly of the Richmond County Sheriff's Office Violent Crimes Division.

Anyone with information should call the sheriff's office at (706) 821-1080.

Comments (17)

speeding
speeding 07/05/10 - 09:13 pm

21, of the 100 block of 11th

21, of the 100 block of 11th Avenue, misdemeanor counts of criminal trespass and giving a false name to a law enforcement officer; May 7: 24 months' probation and fined $800

sassygirl8
sassygirl8 07/05/10 - 10:41 pm

this is such a sad story and

this is such a sad story and so uncalled for. its a shame these nut cases have to have a gun to kill people. whatever happened to trying to talk it out. God bless his family

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 07/05/10 - 11:03 pm

sassygirl8, I don't know

sassygirl8, I don't know about talking it out but when I was younger (in Col Co) the boys used to beat the stew out of each other and be done with it.

Most of the guys I knew had hunting rifles and pocket knives, but I never heard of one of them trying to use those things against another kid.

The 'culture' of the youth today is unbelievable. Shoot first. Period. It's horrifying.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/06/10 - 01:13 am

Suzy Q, most of these little

Suzy Q, most of these little losers have parents who are criminal losers also. What else can you expect from families like that. Not 100% sure in this case, but I'd bet money on it and most others like it and not even sweat the possibility I may lose.

isaidit
isaidit 07/06/10 - 04:13 am

Ditto TakeAstand. I'm

Ditto TakeAstand. I'm willing to wager the same bet and confident I'd win 9 out of 10.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 07/06/10 - 07:04 am

You can't call them

You can't call them parents....They are breeders and nothing else. Pop out the kid, get the government check and be done with it. Thank you Democrats for destroying life in black America....and the blacks keep on voting for Democrats.....All for that monthly check and their funded EBT card and some Section 8 housing.....Welcome to modern slavery.

fontana
fontana 07/06/10 - 08:30 am

I saw a suspicious kid on a

I saw a suspicious kid on a black mountain bike heading south on Hwy 25.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 07/06/10 - 11:55 am

If Democrats have ruined life

If Democrats have ruined life in black America, then that doesn't say much about the willpower, pride, or initiative in black America.

lifelover
lifelover 07/06/10 - 01:04 pm

Humbleopinion...It is amazing

Humbleopinion...It is amazing to me that people as ignorant as you still exist. I can only assume that in your world the color of a person's skin defines who they are and that is sad. People wonder why more young professionals do not move to Augusta, well humbleopinion is a real example.

I am young, black and educated neither of my parents are breeders. They both posses advanced degrees and from what I am reading from you clearly that is something you can nor will not be able to comprehend. I hope one day you can become a real adult.

dougk
dougk 07/06/10 - 04:39 pm

I'm surprised that

I'm surprised that humbleopinion did not preface his/her remarks with: "I'm not racist, but. . . "

gadawg1968
gadawg1968 07/07/10 - 08:53 am

humbleopinion did not say

humbleopinion did not say anything racist. He told the truth. I work in the medical field and have seen these ghetto people have children and then for some reason the children die. Then all the parent worries about is if they are gonna get a check or not. I have seen it happen. Not racist...truth

lilipop101
lilipop101 07/07/10 - 10:26 am

WOWWW!!!! SOME PEOPLE ARE

WOWWW!!!! SOME PEOPLE ARE STILL PLAYING THE RACE CARD TO THIS DAY AND TO THINK THE YOUNG PEOPLE HAS IT JUST AS BAD AS THE ELDERLY PEOPLE!!! IT IS JUST UNBELIEVEABLE!!! I CAN SEE WHY PEOPLE MOVE AWAY FROM HERE AND NEVER RETURN!!!

glennh442
glennh442 07/07/10 - 01:07 pm

come on people don't blame it

come on people don't blame it on the parents. i grew up in a middle class home with a sis and 3 brothers one of them being a twin, and good parents, yet my twin chose to be a criminal. same parents, same enviornment, yet one turned out good and the other a drug riddled criminal in and out of prison, explain that!! we all have choices and need to accept responsibility for what we do, not not look for blame.

devonae
devonae 07/07/10 - 01:13 pm

It doesn't matter what

It doesn't matter what neighborhood you grew up in or what family you were born into. If you discipline kids from the beginning, they learn that there ARE consequences!! When you take a child and give him "positive consequences" to negative behavior, they grow up thinking that is the norm and that is correct. When they grow up and continue their bad behavior, they don't truly believe that negative consequences will apply to them. Like jail time or prison!?!?! Never been punished their whole life, why would they think that would EVER change!?!?! People need to take off their rose colored glasses and whip their butts! What does the Bible say?, "Spare the rod, spoil the child" So what did that mean spare the rod from being used !?!?!?!

madinnasc
madinnasc 07/07/10 - 01:53 pm

WOW!!! Are you serious

WOW!!! Are you serious qadawg?? You really think that humbleopinion spoke the truth? What exactly do you do in the medical field? you cant possibly be in patient care with vocab like that.What exactly do you do in the medical field Housekeeping does not count)?? LOL !! Come on People!! The fact is that young man on his way to college is dead! Two families are ruined!!

dougk
dougk 07/07/10 - 07:35 pm

That's the bottom line,

That's the bottom line, Madinnasc. Thanks for the sad and somber reminder.

KSL
KSL 07/08/10 - 05:42 am

livelover, just a couple of

livelover, just a couple of comments to you. Your spelling of possess was posses. While they were not gangs in the sense of today's word, that was what groups of young black friends called themselves here in the 80's. Make certain you spell words correctly.

Second paragraph is not directed toward you.

Until the late 60's there were lots of black families, white also, rearing their children to be educated. LBJ came along and began the decline of the 2 parent child rearing system with his Great Society program.

KSL
KSL 07/08/10 - 05:44 am

thinker, not just black

thinker, not just black America.

whitneybat76
whitneybat76 07/13/10 - 01:20 pm

Every single person that

Every single person that commented about this incident should stop talking and start making a difference. I'm the volunteer/mentor coordinator for the Boys & Girls club of Augusta and we need people who will take one hour out of their week and help these kids who need direction and positive role models. It starts here and now. How will YOU help prevent another occurrance like this?

New chair gets vet off-road to fish

Army veteran Henry Kent's new Action Trackchair has attachments for fishing, with a holder for his fishing pole and a built-in tackle box, but others can be outfitted with gunracks for hunting.