Home   |   News   |   Sports   |   Business   |   Opinion   |   Things to Do   |   Blogs   |   Photos   |   Video

Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Saxon's troubled past emerges

Judge says suspect was on 'crime spree'

The ex-Guardsman arrested at Fort Gordon in the theft of military equipment earlier this month was unemployed, taking painkillers and apparently assembling high-quality sniper rifle components through a "crime spree" in the Augusta area, a court document states.

Anthony Saxon was arrested this month in the theft of military equipment.   Special
Special
Anthony Saxon was arrested this month in the theft of military equipment.

Topic: Fort Gordon
 - More coverage on this topic:

In a detention order filed in U.S. District Court this week, Magistrate Judge Leon Barfield outlines a disturbing list of actions that led to Anthony Saxon's arrest with a stolen laser site, land mine and grenades at Fort Gordon on June 15.

Shortly after he moved his wife and three children to live in his brother's house in Keysville, Ga., in December, Saxon began assembling -- through "fraud, deception and theft" -- an M4 tactical 5.56-caliber rifle equipped with both an infrared laser and night-vision device.

Authorities found Saxon was in possession of a Kevlar helmet, outfitted with a mount for night-vision equipment, a silencer compatible with his rifle, nearly 1,400 rounds of ammunition for the gun and 17 magazines, eight of which also were loaded with 30 rounds of ammunition. He also had 12 boxes of Army "meals ready to eat," or MREs. Each box contained 12 meals, a total of 144.

Saxon had traveled to Fort Gordon on at least 10 previous occasions by the time he walked into the post's military police office June 15 and signed out a scope, the order said. Dressed as an Army master sergeant with the 82nd Airborne Division, Saxon's outfit was exactly to military specifications, except for one personal addition: a sniper badge that was not standard Army issue.

He had used this outfit before, authorities contend, to steal a night-vision device from the post. The silencer on his rifle was reported stolen from Blankenship Custom Firearms near Augusta. Saxon was identified by the owner, who recalled him visiting the store near the end of last year.

According to the order, Saxon is no stranger to crime. He was convicted of grand theft in Seminole County, Fla., on May 9, 1996, in a case that involved the same weapon found in his bedroom.

His fascination with the military began at an early age, family members have testified. Both of his older brothers served combat missions in Operation Desert Storm and the current Iraq conflict, according to the order. That fed his obsession, family members said.

Saxon joined the Army National Guard out of high school in 1993, but his career was cut short when he was discharged for an irregular heartbeat and possible heart attacks two years later.

After that, he suffered a series of personal setbacks.

He lost his job with a private home security business in Florida in 2008 because of a "reduction in labor force," and he was seriously injured in a car crash later that year. Since then, he has been taking large doses of the painkiller oxycodone.

Though his family believed he worked at Fort Gordon, Saxon had been unemployed for years. He moved to the Burke County area from Deltona, Fla., at the suggestion of his father, who hoped he would find work.

His family also believed he was deploying to Iraq or Afghanistan on June 17. Saxon's mother and father traveled from Florida to visit him before he was supposed to be leaving.

In the order, Barfield describes the family as supportive but disturbed by Saxon's activities since he moved to Keysville. However, he calls their belief of Saxon's military service "puzzling at best," because of Saxon's well-known health issues and because he was previously discharged from the military.

"The defendant hardly seems to be a candidate for such arduous duty overseas," he writes.

Still a mystery is just what Saxon planned to do once he "deployed." In the order, Barfield said that with no job or earned income, Saxon couldn't have maintained his charade forever. He said the evidence leads to one conclusion: "The defendant clearly has mental issues that need to be addressed."

A psychological exam is pending, and until then Saxon will be held by authorities because he is both a flight risk and danger to the community, according to the order.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/30/10 - 05:10 pm
What are those "eyes" trying

What are those "eyes" trying to say!

OnlyinAgs
OnlyinAgs 06/30/10 - 05:22 pm
Those eyes say the

Those eyes say the following:

1. Don't tread on me
2. I listen to Glenn Beck
3. Obama is the president
4. I want my country back
5. I'm a tea partier
6. I'm a militia of one
7. I WISH I HADN"T GOT CAUGHT
8..........

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/30/10 - 05:29 pm
No only....I think he's

No only....I think he's saying "Get in my way & I will crush you like a bug."

Taylor B
Taylor B 06/30/10 - 05:52 pm
Correction: an M4 is a

Correction: an M4 is a carbine, which makes a crappy "sniper" rifle. Plus silencers screw up the feet per second of the round. This guy wasn't going to snipe. If he was, he didn't know what he was doing.

I could plop down $300 on a .308 and have a better set up than this clown...

bone1
bone1 06/30/10 - 06:18 pm
taylorB scares me as much as

taylorB scares me as much as this clown they caught...

Taylor B
Taylor B 06/30/10 - 06:39 pm
Really? How come? I didn't

Really? How come? I didn't mean to scare anyone.

maninthamirror
maninthamirror 06/30/10 - 07:34 pm
only in aug, only from only

only in aug, only from only in aug! how is MSNBC working for you buffalo soldier?

justus4
justus4 06/30/10 - 07:34 pm
What kinda backwoods

What kinda backwoods reporting is this? Who cares about the guy's personal issues? How long will he be locked up to protect the public? Where are the felony charges? It sounds like they gonna give him a job on post because the poor guy has suffered enough. Wow! What a glaring example of selective non-prosecution where anything a criminal does will be excused. We already know what happens to this guy - nothing.

maninthamirror
maninthamirror 06/30/10 - 07:35 pm
justus, give it up, he is

justus, give it up, he is white and deserves a second through eleven, just like your Bro grubbs down in Burke County!

corgimom
corgimom 06/30/10 - 09:06 pm
If a member of my family was

If a member of my family was taking large amounts of painkillers, no, I wouldn't think that person was working at Ft. Gordon or going to Iraq with anybody.

The True Citizen reported that when he was detained at Ft. Gordon he sent a text to his wife telling him to hide his weapons in the woods- and that's what she did.

Doesn't sound to me like she didn't know that something odd was going on.

corgimom
corgimom 06/30/10 - 09:08 pm
"How long will he be locked

"How long will he be locked up to protect the public? Where are the felony charges? "

Well, Justus, if he's found to be insane and not competent to stand trial, then my guess would be "never" and "there won't be any felony charges." You, as a skilled observer, know that you cannot put an insane person on trial.

asoldier
asoldier 07/01/10 - 02:51 am
OK ,as a soldier from FT

OK ,as a soldier from FT Gordon who really is serving in Iraq I must say this guy and the "treatment" he is receiving really puts my undies in a twist. THE GUY IS A TERRIORIST! He deserves to be treated as such. Is he a little off his rocker? Maybe but that does not excuse the fact that at best he compromised the safety and security of all soldiers and civilians serving on FT Gordon and at worst he was planning something "big" that could have threatned national security. LOCK THIS GUY UP! If he likes the military so much I recomend they allow him to break big rocks into little rocks at FT Leabenworth.

seenthatbefore
seenthatbefore 07/01/10 - 04:50 am
I agree strongely with

I agree strongely with asoldier he is a terriorist. Is the family sure he haven't done anything like this before, may not the being the same crime but something similar. They know the truth, I think they have been covering for him for awhile.

charliemanson
charliemanson 07/01/10 - 06:26 am
Yes, Justus, being the right

Yes, Justus, being the right skin color does carry its privileges. Saxon is living proof.

disssman
disssman 07/01/10 - 07:42 am
We have a company making and

We have a company making and selling "silencers" in the area? I thought they were controlled like automatic weapons? And just what use are they to the general public and how in the world did he manage to get one?

flippinbricks
flippinbricks 07/01/10 - 07:54 am
With the right amount of

With the right amount of money and the correct paperwork filled out plus fees for the ATF and you could be the proud new owner of up to three silencers disssman.

Deployed
Deployed 07/01/10 - 07:57 am
asoldier nailed it, in my

asoldier nailed it, in my opinion. I'm glad it seems the investigators don't seem to believe his family was that gullable. They had to know something was up.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 07/01/10 - 08:15 am
C'mon folks...nothing to see

C'mon folks...nothing to see here...move along. This guy is just a kooky teddy bear who likes playing with firecrackers.

By the way CORGI...we reported (and discussed on these pages) day ONE that the Keystone Kops handling the initial contact with Saxon allowed him to send that text message. But hey...what do I know...I am just an alarmist who doesn't know about how harmless flash grenades, or anti-tank landmines can be.
--------------

SARCASM aside....I TOLD you guys that about 15 minutes into this arrest the REAL investigators knew they had averted a VERY serious threat...and many of you EXPERTS laughed at the notion.

Guess what...the investigators were right!

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/01/10 - 09:38 am
ONLYIN, regarding your 5:22

ONLYIN, regarding your 5:22 post, do you think the Fort Hood shooter, a native born Arab-American muslim who killed 12 people, listened to Glenn Beck and was a Tea Party member also? You seem to associate both of those with crazies. How about it?

stillamazed
stillamazed 07/01/10 - 10:51 am
I can't understand that if

I can't understand that if the family thought he was working and he wasn't did they not wonder why there was no money coming in? I agree that the family knows more than they are telling, none of what the family is reporting makes good sense. And to ONLYIN, no one is to blame for what this guy did and tried to do but him. Good old democrats commit crimes also....

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 07/01/10 - 11:02 am
Nothing to see here just like

Nothing to see here just like nothing to see in the Osbon case. Both are frauds.

maninthamirror
maninthamirror 07/01/10 - 02:19 pm
dissman, he stole the

dissman, he stole the slilencer.

corgimom
corgimom 07/01/10 - 05:55 pm
"By the way CORGI...we

"By the way CORGI...we reported (and discussed on these pages) day ONE that the Keystone Kops handling the initial contact with Saxon allowed him to send that text message. "

Absolutely, Austin. I'm aware of that. Now please direct me to the issue of the AC that stated his wife went out and hid guns in the woods after getting the message, and that the ATF officials found them there after she hid them. I don't recall seeing that, but I'd like to read about that.

corgimom
corgimom 07/01/10 - 05:57 pm
"I TOLD you guys that about

"I TOLD you guys that about 15 minutes into this arrest the REAL investigators knew they had averted a VERY serious threat."

I can't speak for anyone else, but it didn't take me 15 minutes to figure it out.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 07/02/10 - 12:41 am
Corgi I don't believe anyone

Corgi I don't believe anyone reported that she DID follow the instructions...I know I never did. The lady and her family have cooperated with the authorities full and well as far as we have been told.

The night and day after we broke this story, I was accused of "blowing it out of proportion". I was lectured by a few experts here on what a silly little harmless guy this was, how he had NO real dangerous weapons...and that the all powerful government cops on the scene had it all under control and pooh-pooh-pee-DOO!

NOW they confirm they detonated an ANTI-TANK LANDMINE...that he had over 1000 rounds of AMMO, and he was assembling at least one and maybe more very serious laser equipped weapons...ALL after convincing his family he was about to "go away to war" for a very long time.

No...this guy was harmless...just a little tiny gnome...

justme706
justme706 07/02/10 - 06:33 am
How could he fool his family

How could he fool his family that he was in the military when he had no income? That would be my first clue. His wife is either stupid or living in a fantasy world. I've been laid off for a year and a half and believe me, my husband noticed the lack of a pay check!