Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Fort Gordon suspect will remain in custody

Testimony shows land mine, grenades, ammunition found in truck at Fort Gordon

Anthony Todd Saxon's family was happy to see him get up every morning, dress in an Army uniform and head for his job at Fort Gordon.

Anthony Todd Saxon told his family he had a civilian job at Fort Gordon.
  Special
Special
Anthony Todd Saxon told his family he had a civilian job at Fort Gordon.

Topic: Fort Gordon
 - More coverage on this topic:

After more than two years of disability and unemployment, Saxon was back in the fold of the military, which he adored.

They were shocked to learn last week that it was all a ruse, including Saxon's claims that he was to be deployed overseas last week.

After a hearing in U.S. District Court on Monday, a judge ruled that probable cause existed to believe Saxon committed five criminal offenses and that he should remain in custody pending possible indictment and trial.

More details about Saxon developed in Monday's hearing:

The land mine found in his truck last week was real; he also had knives, night vision devices, a Kevlar-covered helmet, flash grenades and more than 1,800 rounds of ammunition.

Later at the Keysville home where Saxon and his family were living with his brother's family, federal agents found more weaponry -- including a military-style rifle equipped with a silencer that was stolen from a gun dealership in January, testified Ronald Rhodes, an agent with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

In January, Saxon started dressing up as a master sergeant and going to Fort Gordon, FBI Special Agent Jason Gustin testified. A week ago, Saxon walked into the post's military police office and signed out an infrared laser sighting device, saying he needed it for training, Gustin testified.

Saxon's parents and his sister traveled from Florida last week to visit him because they believed he was to be deployed Thursday, his father testified Monday.

Saxon always wanted to be in the military "from the day he was born," Hugh Edward Saxon said. His son was crushed when he was discharged from the Army National Guard in 1995 because of a heart condition.

Saxon, who was seriously injured in a car wreck in March 2008, moved his family to Keysville during Thanksgiving week, his father testified. Two or three months ago, he told his family he had a civilian job at Fort Gordon.

U.S. District Magistrate Judge W. Leon Barfield agreed with the prosecutor's argument that what is scariest about Saxon is what is unknown about him. No one, Barfield said in ordering Saxon's detention, can deny that Saxon is a very troubled man.

Before any possible release from custody, Saxon needs to undergo forensic examination "to determine if all the fears we have are justified," Barfield said.

Tony.C
Tony.C 06/21/10 - 07:16 pm
Looney toon belongs in the

Looney toon belongs in the looney bin.

angeleyes
angeleyes 06/21/10 - 09:47 pm
Good!!!! at least we are safe

Good!!!! at least we are safe from this nut case

happychimer
happychimer 06/21/10 - 09:58 pm
wrdw reported that Saxon is a

wrdw reported that Saxon is a convicted felon, and that means he was not suppose to have guns or explosives of any kind.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 06/21/10 - 10:18 pm
Gee. Somebody should arrest

Gee. Somebody should arrest the people who provided him with ammunition. DOH!

micbare
micbare 06/22/10 - 12:39 am
This guy needs to be in a

This guy needs to be in a state mental hospital.

jam30830
jam30830 06/22/10 - 12:47 am
Guys. Maybe you need to be

Guys. Maybe you need to be in it, too! He has not even had a chance to tell his story and yes he may some psychological issues going on but let him get the help he needs instead of butchering him without even knowing who he is. I have a feeling if I looked in your medicine cabinet I would say you need to go to the loony bin! Give it a rest! Ask real questions.

thedude
thedude 06/22/10 - 04:54 am
Who is more mentally

Who is more mentally unstable?...Was it this guy? Or was it the Captain who gave him the laser?

corgimom
corgimom 06/22/10 - 06:56 am
"In January, Saxon started

"In January, Saxon started dressing up as a master sergeant and going to Fort Gordon, FBI Special Agent Jason Gustin testified."

If I were his wife, I'd be saying "Hey Dude, where's my ID card? I want to go to the commissary. I need to go to the doctor."

The wife had to have known something was off.

disssman
disssman 06/22/10 - 07:29 am
I still have serious doubts

I still have serious doubts that the land mine was real. I know that those type items are under very tight security and doubt if there are any stored in the state. It just makes no sense for any unit in the stat to have a need for these items, because they are not used in any training scenario. As to the 1800 rounds, what caliber? last I read he had a bunch of 22 cal, is that what it was? And as to himm having "knives" why I guess my wife is a terrorist because she has a drawer full of them and meat cleavers too. As to the night vision device, they are for sale on the internet and he didn't really steal it, the Captain actually signed it out. Bottom line, I think the guy is a nut case, but I also think the government is going way over board trying to make a case.

thedude
thedude 06/22/10 - 07:49 am
Everyone seems to be missing

Everyone seems to be missing the humor in the fact that some brilliant Captain was "fooled" into giving this man the training laser. Way to go Sir! Hooah! lol

justus4
justus4 06/22/10 - 08:15 am
This story has tooooooo many

This story has tooooooo many holes. What person "dresses up" as a MSG?
Then, he goes and "signed out" sensitive items without being on a access roster or even having proper ID. What parallel universe exist for this kinda bumbling, baffling , mystifying episode? In fact, something extremely serious is wrong here which insults the intelligence of any active, former active, or retired soldier. And those charges seem minor, given the national importance placed on security breaches. Why such minor charges, and the guy has other felonies? And "terrorist" isn't even mentioned in the piece, which cleverly assist in the profile being fabricated for this clown. Yep, this guy is no Lone Ranger and until some more serious charges be leveled for his behavior, then trying to deter other Rambo Rangers will result in failures.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/22/10 - 08:42 am
If he was working as a

If he was working as a civilian why was he dressing in military uniform? His family must be nuts also to have not been suspicious of something. Justus4 for once I am in total agreement with you....I can't believe it...

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 06/22/10 - 08:52 am
Undercover for agent for the

Undercover for agent for the news media to see how long he could "get away" with it to discover the loop holes in the Fed Govt. Wait and see.I'm right.

penny55
penny55 06/22/10 - 09:10 am
I would want to know what

I would want to know what happened to the pay check?

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/10 - 09:13 am
Seems there is more to this

Seems there is more to this story than what is being told or printed. I'll have to agree, on the surface, this guy seems like a wacko, but how was he able to check-out military equipment without some ID (unless he had a fake one that wasn't mentioned). Corgimom, there are a lot of wives that have no clue about their husbands jobs or finances. Some are very dominant husbands who handle everything and the wives are usually submissive types who stay at home, take care of the kids, and let the husband worry with everything else. It was only 2 or 3 months ago that he told his family he had a civilian job at Ft. Gordon so it's possible that the wife wasn't aware of his deception.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 06/22/10 - 09:45 am
jam30830 Tuesday, Jun. 22

jam30830
Tuesday, Jun. 22 12:47 AM

___________________________
AWESOME POST!

corgimom
corgimom 06/22/10 - 10:03 am
"It was only 2 or 3 months

"It was only 2 or 3 months ago that he told his family he had a civilian job at Ft. Gordon so it's possible that the wife wasn't aware of his deception."

ICL- there is no such thing as a civilian Army master sergeant. And if my husband had a land mine, a bunch of guns and ammo, flash grenades, and a bunch of knives, I'd know that too.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/10 - 12:28 pm
Well I guess all wives are

Well I guess all wives are not as brilliant and know-it-all as you. Who said she knew he had a land mine, guns, ammo, grenades and knives in his car? If the husband has been out of the military collecting unemployment and disability for more than two years and supposably just got a job 2 or 3 months ago, do you really think the wife would know what the uniform for a master sergeant is. Who's to say she wasn't still asleep when he dressed and left the house. You're assuming a lot here when none of the details have been printed. He told his wife he had a civilian job but when he checked out the laser he was dressed as a master sergeant. Nothing was said about him dressing this way every day. All I'm saying is there are some wives who are clueless about their husband's job and are content as long as their taken care of and the bills are paid. It's possible she might have had some questions but never inquired about her husbands job but you are convicting her for knowing before all the details are given and I'm just saying maybe she didn't know.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 06/22/10 - 10:54 am
Gotta go with ICL on this

Gotta go with ICL on this one.

whyme
whyme 06/22/10 - 12:25 pm
Way to go, Chronicle posters.

Way to go, Chronicle posters. "Nut job", "looney bin"...great way to describe someone who may possibly have a mental illness. And way to go, Chronicle, for not recognizing these and similar comments as missing the "robust but respectful" level of conversation. I agree that this man appears to be very dangerous for whatever reason, but ignorance on the part of some of these posters is dangerous on a different level.

veggie-d
veggie-d 06/22/10 - 12:28 pm
military intelligence...all

military intelligence...all the way around...criminals ripping off criminals...it happens every day.

but...i thought michael frank was killed in a car crash a couple of years ago? now he turns up at FG dressed as a MS?...

MyOpinion21
MyOpinion21 06/22/10 - 12:30 pm
He and his wife were living

He and his wife were living with his brothers family, so I wonder if anything (behavior ) was suspicious to them?
I have to say that when people learn of behavior like this, it scares folks. Maybe the stress of the lies and life in a fantasy world Came crashing down on him. Irrational thinking made him act irrational. And the wife had to at least have some idea or saw a red flag or two along the way.

MyOpinion21
MyOpinion21 06/22/10 - 12:40 pm
Corg...I agree! I'd be asking

Corg...I agree! I'd be asking that as well as, if you are working, where is your payroll deposit?
And how was he spending these days on base? Besides signing out weaponry where was he spending his time?

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/10 - 12:49 pm
The article never said he

The article never said he didn't actually have a civilian job on base and he could have been collecting a paycheck. What was a ruse, was he was in active military and getting ready to be deployed.

walkedit
walkedit 06/22/10 - 03:10 pm
You've just "gotta love"

You've just "gotta love" those who slant the TEA party. If they aren't "Taxed Enough Already," they soon will be...unless these are people living on some tax-free form of government assistance. There are too many who get disabilty and other tax free income who adopt their grandchildren, nieces and nephews, marry, etc., to keep the benefit alive and this is needs to stop. It will be interesting if there is another side to his story. We may never know. I believe every word of Glen Beck, he may be over dramatic but if you are educated enough to understand his messages, he is usually 100% on base.

corgimom
corgimom 06/22/10 - 03:48 pm
"Who said she knew he had a

"Who said she knew he had a land mine, guns, ammo, grenades and knives in his car?"

Not me, ICL. Who did?

I said I would know if MY husband did, but I didn't say anything about HER knowing it.

Go back and read what I said.

disssman
disssman 06/22/10 - 04:11 pm
Walkedit. Is that the

Walkedit. Is that the supposedly former drug addict and school drop out you are bragging about? I don't know for sure, but I thought drug dealing was a Felony. In any event, my mother taught me as a small child to stay away from people who broke the law and surely there is someone in the entire world you could make a hero of that hasn't exhibited Felonious tendencies.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/22/10 - 04:38 pm
And if my husband had a land

Now, you are welcome to think that she didn't have a clue, somewhere, at sometime, something wasn't quite right. My opinion is that on some level, she did. She had to."

Your own words Corgimom....."on some level, she did. She had to." Go back and read your 10:03am post and then tell me you didn't say the wife had to have known. If you deny that's what you said, then my dear you are a "fibber". I would have used another word but worried the AC would delete it.

shamrock
shamrock 06/22/10 - 05:58 pm
It is amazing how so many

It is amazing how so many people know so much about how everything works ... anywhere!

veggie-d
veggie-d 06/22/10 - 06:07 pm
not anywhere sham...these

not anywhere sham...these folks know it about EVERYWHERE!...you don't even have to ask'em!

UGA lineman charged

ATHENS, Ga. -- Georgia defensive lineman Jonathan Taylor was arrested early Tuesday on a charge of felony aggravated assault/family violence.