Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Weapons found at Fort Gordon suspect's home

Authorities say stolen silencer, rifle discovered

Investigators found a stolen silencer and rifle in the home of a Keysville, Ga., man accused of impersonating an Army soldier at Fort Gordon, according to documents filed Friday in federal court by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Anthony Todd Saxon told his wife after his arrest to get weapons out of their home, the wife told investigators.

According to the documents, investigators also say Anthony Saxon, 34, sent a warning text message to his wife shortly after being arrested by military police on post Tuesday. His wife told law enforcement that her husband's message advised her to remove firearms from their home.

ATF investigators revealed Saxon was convicted of grand theft in Seminole County, Fla., on May 9, 1996, in a case that involved the same weapon found in his bedroom, according to court documents.

He is accused of transporting the stolen rifle from Florida to Keysville, which is a federal offense, according to the documents.

A Grovetown business owner told investigators he believed Saxon stole the silencer from his store, Blakenship Custom Firearm, late last year. Paul Blakenship reported the silencer stolen Jan. 13. He said he recalls seeing Saxon inside his store in late 2009.

During the search of Saxon's home, investigators also uncovered a .12-gauge shotgun and .22-caliber pistol, along with 54 rounds of .22-caliber ammunition in the wooded area behind the home, agents said. Five training grenades also were found in the home, agents said.

Saxon was arrested Tuesday after military police found a bag in his vehicle containing stun grenades, a land mine and an infrared laser sight.

Authorities said a tipster recognized his vehicle from a theft of military equipment in April, which led to officers searching his car.

It is still unclear whether the former Army National Guardsman worked at the fort.

Federal agents transferred Saxon on Thursday from the Richmond County Jail to the Jefferson County Jail in Louisville, Ga.

OIC
OIC 06/18/10 - 04:46 pm
Was the silencer borrowed

Was the silencer borrowed from the federal government too?

OIC
OIC 06/18/10 - 04:46 pm
Was the silencer borrowed

Was the silencer borrowed from the federal government too?

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/18/10 - 04:57 pm
How was he a convicted felon

How was he a convicted felon before joining the National Guard? Do I have my dates confused?

justus4
justus4 06/18/10 - 05:03 pm
Where are the charges? He's

Where are the charges? He's got a prior felony and still no info on what the charges are, which indicates that lesser charges will be forthcoming. He will be charged with trespassing and weapon violations and will probably avoid jail. He will be deemed to have an "active imagination" and his behavior was not about harm to anyone. The ground work is already being laid.

happychimer
happychimer 06/18/10 - 06:20 pm
One report said he never was

One report said he never was in the military.

burninater
burninater 06/18/10 - 06:25 pm
You got the dates reversed

You got the dates reversed Trey, the "profile" article says he told the FBI he was in the Guard until 1995, with a medical discharge.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/18/10 - 06:26 pm
burninater - Thanks, that's

burninater - Thanks, that's why I asked. I wasn't really interested enough to go back and check. Appreciate it.

andrew412
andrew412 06/19/10 - 02:07 am
the article says he was

the article says he was arrested and then texted his wife to hide the guns--- how is that?? do military police give one text message instead of one phone call?

Ole School
Ole School 06/19/10 - 05:14 am
Blankenship is a very weird

Blankenship is a very weird gun operation... and very rude also ! I would not go near that place.

angeleyes
angeleyes 06/19/10 - 06:32 am
this man was a straight

this man was a straight psycho path. i feel for his family

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/19/10 - 06:38 am
Weekend reading: "The Secret

Weekend reading: "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" by James Thurber.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/19/10 - 06:40 am
Being charged again for the

Being charged again for the same stolen weapon? He deserves jail time, or a mental institution.

corgimom
corgimom 06/19/10 - 06:50 am
Justus, if you would take the

Justus, if you would take the time to read the AC, you would know that the charges were listed in a prior story.

He was charged with theft and impersonation of an serviceman- for starters, not trespassing and weapons violations. And that was for starters.

Being the keen observer that you are, I'm surprised you missed that.

beboisme
beboisme 06/19/10 - 07:23 am
As they say,"The eyes are the

As they say,"The eyes are the window to you soul."

bettyboop
bettyboop 06/19/10 - 07:48 am
This guy is

This guy is sick............put him away somewhere where he can live out his fantasies with some really good drugs.....in jail he would only try to impersonate the guards...what good does jail do a whacko?

curly123053
curly123053 06/19/10 - 08:07 am
It makes me wonder just what

It makes me wonder just what his intentions were? His wife and other family and friends thought he was going to Iraq or Afghanistan on Thursday so what was he planning? It makes me wonder if a mass murder has been averted by his arrest. I see a long prison term for him unlike justus who is just as mysterious as this kook.

Indigo
Indigo 06/19/10 - 08:16 am
What did you think you were

What did you think you were going to find? A brownie troop?

happychimer
happychimer 06/19/10 - 09:49 am
I called him a psycho and a

I called him a psycho and a nut case a few days ago, and a few posters really came at me. I guess it is ok when their buddies call the man what he really is..a nut case.

rmajor
rmajor 06/19/10 - 10:12 am
Why are they finding it so

Why are they finding it so hard to find out if he worked on the base? I don't think he did honestly. I think he is just living a fantasy, however, I mean there are HR records, etc. I have never been in the military, but I guess I am asking someone here who may have been or still is. Is there a central place for HR files, or does each store or business on the base have their seperate HR files?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/19/10 - 10:22 am
This is a great discussion

This is a great discussion topic, but before everyone here convicts the guy, why not wait for the investigation to produce the answers you are all seeking? Everything has a reason, but so far, few have surfaced.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/19/10 - 10:24 am
Happy, you called him a

Happy, you called him a psycho and a nut case before the authorities determined that he actually is a psycho and a nut case. That is not entirely fair, now is it?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/19/10 - 10:28 am
Rmajor, if he actually worked

Rmajor, if he actually worked on post, a mere click on a "mouse" would produce his position and place of employment on Ft. Gordon. If the man is holding a high security position, we may never know what his actual job is. There are "Sneaky Pete's" all over the Military world. More than likely, this person is nothing more than a wannabe!

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 06/19/10 - 10:43 am
I was under the impression

I was under the impression that " SILENCERS " were against federal and state law to make or have in ones possession....but I guess if you are found with a mine and other weapons ...I guess it does not matter. And what are Blakenshp Custom Firearms making these SILENCERS for

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/19/10 - 11:02 am
Catfish, I have not

Catfish, I have not researched this yet, but it is my impression that silencers may be licensed for use by the Federal Govt. just like fully automatic weapons. I'll try to find it, and post it.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/19/10 - 11:06 am
Here ya go, Catfish; "Gun

Here ya go, Catfish;

"Gun silencers, unlike conventional firearms, each change of possession or ownership of a Title 2 weapon (silencer, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, pengun, etc.) must be approved in advance by BATF.

This includes not only the sale of such a weapon, but also the act of giving or loaning it to another person. Failure to comply can result in a $250,000 fine, 10 years in prison, or both.

Although the weapon can be moved by its registered owner within the owner's state or residence, transportation across state lines requires prior BATF approval.

These requirements were instituted by the National Firearms Act of 1934 and were incorporated into the Gun Control Act of 1968.

To the best of our knowledge, silencers are legal for private ownership in the following states: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY. Additionally, they maybe owned by Class 3 dealers and Class 2 manufacturers (but not individuals) in: CA, IA, KS, MA, MO, and MI. Territorial law prohibits possession in the Territories and Possessions of the United States."

happychimer
happychimer 06/19/10 - 11:12 am
The man impersonated a

The man impersonated a military officer, and fooled his family into believing he was in the military. He had an explosive that had to be detonated by people from Fort Jackson. I have enough sense to know he is a nut case. I lived next door to a nut case yrs ago, so I figured out this man is not right. He has mental issues big time. I saw one report that said he has never served in the military. Of course I do not know the whole story, but I can figure out that the man is a nut case.I can almost bet that he is also violent and abusive.

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 06/19/10 - 12:20 pm
Thanks for the info Sarge it

Thanks for the info Sarge it was very helpful about the law.