Education

More News | |

5 arrested in Hephzibah High School blaze

Suspects tied to other vandalism, chief says

Two 19-year-old men and three juveniles were arrested Friday evening after being accused of setting a fire that caused $500,000 in damage to Hephzibah High School's JROTC indoor firing range.

Richmond County Board of Education Police Chief Patrick Clayton said surveillance camera footage was key to the swift arrests.

The fire, reported about 4 a.m. Thursday, destroyed the 3,000-square-foot wooden structure.

JROTC uniforms and pellet rifles were damaged in the fire.

The five suspects have been linked to vandalism that occurred at the Hephzibah Community Center earlier Thursday evening and at a concession stand in the football stadium, Clayton said.

James "Trey" Schlein, 19, of the 4800 block of Story Mill Road in Hephzibah, and Antonio Sinkler, 19, of the 2900 block of Old Lake Road in Hephzibah, were arrested on suspicion of first-degree arson and interference with government property.

Burglary charges are expected involving the vandalism at the community center, Clayton said.

Clayton said the three juvenile suspects' names weren't being released because of their age, and they were taken to the Augusta Regional Youth Detention Center.

The investigation involved the board of education, Hephzibah police and the state fire marshal's office.

Officers from the first two agencies were able to identify some of the suspects from their posts at Hephzibah High, Clayton said.

flipa
flipa 06/18/10 - 06:40 pm
So where is the VIDEO of the

So where is the VIDEO of the 5 that R. Roundtree said he was going to send out to the press? Anyone seen it on any channel?

jessievinntura
jessievinntura 06/18/10 - 07:03 pm
I thought ol Richard was

I thought ol Richard was fired from the RCSO. If so, how did he get a job with RCBOE Security? A little "nespotisim" perhaps?

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/18/10 - 07:29 pm
jessie: Was fired as a

jessie: Was fired as a Sergeant and is now a Lietenant - like they say, **** up and move up :)

pommom38
pommom38 06/18/10 - 07:50 pm
Who cares. What matters is

Who cares. What matters is that with all agencies involved, there are 5 less criminals out there! And shall we add, repeat offenders if they are guilty of the community center crime as well.

cleanup
cleanup 06/18/10 - 08:02 pm
I care. RCBOE security

I care. RCBOE security should be abolished. Corruption reigns.

jessievinntura
jessievinntura 06/18/10 - 08:04 pm
That's an affirmative,

That's an affirmative, Cleanup!

Junket831
Junket831 06/18/10 - 08:21 pm
I'm surprised Bedden didn't

I'm surprised Bedden didn't refuse to press charges.

Nightwing
Nightwing 06/18/10 - 08:50 pm
Why all the hate against

Why all the hate against Officer Roundtree? The five accused of arson and other things are the crimminals. I hope they get the justice they deserve. Arson of public property hurts all in the community and should not be tolerated.

lsmith
lsmith 06/18/10 - 09:08 pm
Arrested and probably will be

Arrested and probably will be offered suspended prosecution and/or sentence in return for restitution. Prescendent has been established with not filing charges for theft of the 14,000.00. Otherwise anyone claiming "selective prosecution" will be absolutely right. I agree with "Cleanup" Get rid of the RCBOE security.
Prosecute anyone and everyone who breaks the law or don't prosecute anyone at all.......

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/18/10 - 09:56 pm
I sincerely hope that the BOE

I sincerely hope that the BOE and whatever insurance company we have go back on the these adult kids and the parents of the minor kids to recover every penny of the damages and that is while/after the kids pull jail time. May they all have their wages garnished by court order for 50 years, any government checks confiscated, and any and all tax refunds seized.

mable8
mable8 06/19/10 - 12:17 am
What are 19 year olds doing

What are 19 year olds doing 'hanging out' with juveniles in the first place? Were they 'recruiting'? $500,000 is a lot for the county to pay in rebuilding the torched office. Hopefully, these offenders will have to repay by assisting in that rebuiding (sans pay). When a group of youngsters torched a church in McDuffie County some years ago, all the offenders had to help rebuild that church--and they were not paid for their efforts. None of those youngsters has gotten into any further trouble--and it was quite a while before the new church was completed.

savoy_savoy
savoy_savoy 06/19/10 - 12:31 am
dichotomy: That's a good

dichotomy: That's a good idea.....garnish the parent(s) pay!! If you want your children to do better, Do better by them...somebody should've been lighting a match to these kids' hind parts, long ago....

MyOpinion21
MyOpinion21 06/19/10 - 01:28 am
They all need to go to that

They all need to go to that pink underwear prison boot camp in Texas!

disssman
disssman 06/19/10 - 05:37 am
Most of you folks are living

Most of you folks are living in lala land if you think the juveniles are going to jail or that the 19 year olds are going to be forced to pay, or that mama and daddy are going to be forced to do anything. Don't you get it, children in trouble must be protected from society and forgiven for their little sins. Why even for murder they spend a year or two at the most.

Martinez
Martinez 06/19/10 - 06:28 am
I think there should be an

I think there should be an additional charge for abusing the name "Trey".

angeleyes
angeleyes 06/19/10 - 06:29 am
I think the parents should

I think the parents should have to foot the bill. that way when they beat the crap out of there bad kids they might straighten up. i am curious on how old the juveniles are. those two 19 yr olds knew better and i am sure the other ones did too. i hope they have to pay dearly for this. uncalled for.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 06/19/10 - 06:31 am
You have a wonderful grasp of

You have a wonderful grasp of the situation, disssman. No responsibility, no accountability. It's a trend. I hate liberalism.

corgimom
corgimom 06/19/10 - 06:42 am
Give them jobs at the

Give them jobs at the downtown central office so that they can pay restitution. It works for theft, why not arson?

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 06/19/10 - 06:57 am
Martinez - LOL! I agree. I do

Martinez - LOL! I agree. I do a good enough job of that all by myself.

beboisme
beboisme 06/19/10 - 07:08 am
Why was R. Roundtree fired

Why was R. Roundtree fired after his demotion as a homiside dectective. I wasn't aware he was terminated. I just thought he went job hunting and landed a good one.

Deployed
Deployed 06/19/10 - 08:07 am
beboisme -

beboisme - http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2008/10/14/edi_479354.shtml
Link to an article from '08 about Roundtree.

get real people
get real people 06/19/10 - 09:17 am
If they are grown enough to

If they are grown enough to commit this type of crime then they are old enought for everybody to see their punk *** faces, they do not deserve any type of protection.

get real people
get real people 06/19/10 - 09:18 am
Oops enough, my bad sorry

Oops enough, my bad sorry about the spelling.

beboisme
beboisme 06/19/10 - 10:12 am
Thanks deployed. I pray you a

Thanks deployed. I pray you a safe and swift duty assignment.

travisp73
travisp73 06/19/10 - 12:33 pm
really?? my comment was

really?? my comment was deleted?

geez....ok....ok.....ill try again to appease the mighty chronicle......

i think these guys are outstanding young men and should be all be given a chance.....starting with hiring them all to work for the chronicle....

angeleyes
angeleyes 06/19/10 - 05:43 pm
haha travisp73 now thats a

haha travisp73 now thats a great idea

Board rejects fine arts charter school

Organizers behind a proposed fine arts charter school in Columbia County said they are optimistic state officials will approve their plan to open a school in 2015 - a plan that was unanimously ...