Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Fort Gordon suspect harbored military fascination

Saxon's MySpace, Facebook pages show odes to services

In a drawing posted on Anthony Todd Saxon's MySpace page, a soldier in fatigues kneels down to pray over his bunk for the end to war. An inspirational picture shows a soldier -- his head hung low -- along with a poem describing the sacrifices of Army service.

Anthony Todd Saxon has been moved to a Jefferson County jail.
Anthony Todd Saxon has been moved to a Jefferson County jail.

As new details emerge about Saxon's background, it's clear that the man arrested on Fort Gordon on Tuesday and accused of stealing military equipment was never in the Army, yet harbored a deep fascination with being a soldier.

Saxon was apprehended wearing a complete Army combat uniform, including rank and insignia, after successfully fooling an Army captain into giving him an infrared aiming laser designed to be mounted on a rifle.

A tipster recognized his vehicle from a previous theft of military equipment in April. Authorities soon stopped his car and inside they found the laser, along with grenades, a land mine and night-vision devices, according to an affidavit filed in U.S. District Court on Wednesday.

Saxon's wife, Rhonda, said in a phone interview Wednesday that she believed the couple moved to the area in December so her husband could work at Fort Gordon. She wrote as much on her husband's Facebook wall in March, stating that she was proud of him and believed "Ft. Gordon will be great for us."

It is still not clear whether Saxon actually worked at Fort Gordon in a civilian capacity. A message left at the Fort Gordon Human Resources Department was not returned Thursday.

According to the affidavit, Saxon said he never served in the Army but was a member of the Army National Guard from 1993 to 1995. Saxon told the FBI he was discharged because of heart problems.

It appears many who knew him believed he was serving the country and preparing to be deployed overseas. In post after post from friends and family on Saxon's Facebook page, they thank him for his service.

Saxon himself writes of going to a "weapons qualifications start" in May. He lists military-related films and television shows, including Generation Kill, Full Metal Jacket and Weaponology , as his favorite films and TV shows. Sky diving, paintball and airsoft -- a recreational activity in which replica firearms are used to fire soft pellets in military-like training scenarios -- are some of his hobbies. On his MySpace page, pictures of him flying remote control helicopters can be found throughout.

Also Thursday, details emerged that Saxon is the son of former Burke County Commissioner Eddie Saxon. Burke County Sheriff Greg Coursey said he knew Eddie Saxon when he worked in the county in the late 1970s and early 1980s and remembered him as a "good commissioner."

Coursey said he met Eddie's children when they were young but hadn't spoken with Saxon recently.

"I more than likely knew him when he was small," Coursey said.

Comments (29)

corgimom
19208
corgimom 06/17/10 - 12:20 pm

OK, I'll ask the obvious- why

OK, I'll ask the obvious- why was he transferred to Jefferson County?

Hera
Hera 06/17/10 - 12:54 pm

Yeah, they place a rapper in

Yeah, they place a rapper in federal prison for having guns for protection of his life and family but this man on FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PROPERTY with explosives, illegally dressed in combat, putting hundreds of lives in danger, goes to a county jail? And they say we are all equal...biggest lie ever told.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 06/17/10 - 01:01 pm

Do you suppose the Jefferson

Do you suppose the Jefferson county jail is more country and comfy? Maybe rocking chairs?

Hera
Hera 06/17/10 - 01:07 pm

I SUPPOSE THAT HE SHOULD BE

I SUPPOSE THAT HE SHOULD BE HELD IN FEDERAL CUSTODY. THIS WAS IN FT. GORDON.

REP
REP 06/17/10 - 01:08 pm

RCSO commonly does this why

RCSO commonly does this why do you think Jefferson and Burke built large jails (for a small county)? $$$ from overflow prisoners from Richmond and Columbia counties. I pass their cars all the time down in Jefferson Co.

kathynboys
kathynboys 06/17/10 - 01:11 pm

This doesn't make sense to

This doesn't make sense to me. The crime occurred in Richmond County. At the very least he should be in Richmond County jail. Is there some kind of federal holding facility in Jefferson County? What does Jefferson County have to do with any of it?

Chris Hudson
Chris Hudson 01/13/12 - 06:22 pm

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 06/17/10 - 02:46 pm

Excitement and hysteria

Excitement and hysteria aside, the fellow is just charged with non-violent offenses and nobody got hurt. He's not likely to get more than probation and some community service. Kids vandalizing schools do more harm.

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 06/17/10 - 03:13 pm

Yea...I bet the "rappers" are

Yea...I bet the "rappers" are carrying guns for the protection of thier families...Yea right !

disssman
disssman 06/17/10 - 04:56 pm

I wonder if our radio

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/17/10 - 05:02 pm

The feds have contracts with

The feds have contracts with some local county jails to hold their prisoners. That's all there is to it.

Ooops, I see Chris Hudson beat me to it. Didn't mean to steal his thunder.

airbud7
airbud7 06/17/10 - 07:46 pm

Mold Spores/Lawsuit.

Mold Spores/Lawsuit.

lsmith
lsmith 06/17/10 - 08:02 pm

HERA: You're wrong as rain

HERA: You're wrong as rain on this issue. As an earlier poster said, Federal authorities contract to house prisoners charged with crimes initially in Local jails till they get space or are tried. Richmond County and Columbia county do this as for him not being in a Richmond County jail that's a non issue. Feds spread the prisoners around all the time due to space availability present at the time. There is NO conspiracy to treat rappers worse, although that wouldn't bother me none. Rappers do not buy guns to protect themselves, it's to exploit the "gangsta" culture they rap about. To them guns are symbols such as grills and pants on the ground. But, I suppose Rap lyrics is "music" to your seasoned ears.

corgimom
19208
corgimom 06/17/10 - 09:39 pm

"Yeah, they place a rapper in

"Yeah, they place a rapper in federal prison for having guns for protection of his life and family "- People have a Constitutional right to possess guns. Unless, of course, they are a convicted felon. Rapper or not, conviction of a gun by a felon means they go to prison.

Just think of all the time he'll have to write more raps about how unfair life is.

juantez
juantez 06/18/10 - 04:05 am

k

k

juantez
juantez 06/18/10 - 03:47 am

What do a rapper have to do

What do a rapper have to do with this story? Oh, oh I have the answer not A DAM THING. Lmao at you all.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 06/18/10 - 05:20 am

This story doesn't have a

This story doesn't have a thing to do with rappers. Oh, and btw, there's plenty of them in regular old state prisons, not federal institutions.

Whatever motivated this guy, he was up to no good. He definitely needs a mental evaluation.

cleanup
cleanup 06/18/10 - 06:14 am

what do? dam? Looks like

what do? dam? Looks like rappers have been educating some of us....

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/18/10 - 06:46 am

"Fort Gordon suspect harbored

"Fort Gordon suspect harbored military fascination" -- ya think?
Their are prisons and jails, the former for after you are convicted and the latter while you are awaiting trial. There are Federal prisons but no Federal jails -- the Feds pay State and county jails to house prisoners waiting trial, and place them where there is room, bargain rate to cost Feds less, etc. Nothing sinister here.
This guy is the ultimate wannabe...

Hera
Hera 06/18/10 - 06:31 am

lsmith, I do not listen to

lsmith, I do not listen to rap or any of that horrible sound of country crap that you love; nor do I promote it. Ask corgimom about rap. It seems that she loves cherry flavored kool-aid drinkers being that she knew what I was talking about LOL!!!! It was a comparison to a similar situation. Riverman and Hudson, thanks for the insight about the system and how they really work.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/18/10 - 07:50 am

Another nut job! There are

Another nut job! There are pleanty of these types who go around telling fakes stories of being in the speacial forces.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/18/10 - 08:30 am

Dang, when I was in the Army

Dang, when I was in the Army I didn't realize there were people out their obsessed to be doing what we were doing.

oldfella
oldfella 06/18/10 - 09:44 am

Being retired military +

Being retired military + currently employed at Fort Gordon, this whole thing hits close to home. It seems there are conflicting reports about what was in his vehicle, from "grenades" to "land mines." One source says the grenades were flash-bang (used to disorient), not fragmentation (used to kill). As for "land mines" I myself doubt it. I haven't seen a live American land-mine used in many years (including Iraq 2003) let alone in a training environment.

There are many places to point fingers, but I say let's just point to the source - this nutjob that commited the crimes! Let's pull together to nail this clown first, and evaluate our procedures later.

rmajor
rmajor 06/18/10 - 09:50 am

I guess he was really upset

I guess he was really upset about being discharged. Seems like he recieved a lot of fulfillment in being in armed forces. I guess maybe a psychological, approach to his dismissal because of heart problems may have been in order. It just seems like a dream died for him. I don't know what he was doing with explosives and all that, but no one was harmed. Just seems like this was his dream deferred. Interesting. Would like to see more follow up as far as the purpose of the weapons or did he just have them.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 06/18/10 - 10:10 am

"Meanwhile, jail officials in

"Meanwhile, jail officials in both Richmond and Jefferson counties confirmed Thursday that federal agents have removed Saxon from the Richmond County Jail and transferred him to a cell in Jefferson County. Richmond County Sheriff's Major Gene Johnson said it's common for federal prisoners to be transferred to Jefferson or McDuffie counties because of contracts between the federal government and the local holding facilities." Did those of you questioning the removal of this prisoner to Jefferson County not even REAL the article? It's plain, it's simple. Yes, federal prisoners are generally held in local jails - there is a soldier accused of shooting three fellow soldiers, killing two of them, in Iraq - that soldier is being held in the Liberty County jail in Hinesville awaiting trial. If you think about it, therer is no reason to staff a jail on most military posts: there are too few military prisoners to warrant the expense and extra training needed. IF a soldier is convicted of a crime then he is sent to a military prison, not a nice place I hear. Within this week his breach is the second of three that have occurred on military posts, the most recent resulting in a shooting @ Ft Gillem near Atlanta. Perhaps this man should hook up with the man in Connecticut who wants to be a senator and swap their war stories from Viet Nam.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 06/18/10 - 10:16 am

"I wonder if our radio

"I wonder if our radio personality ever found out about his plastic anti-tank mine? I wouldd still like to see the pictures of the "dangerous" weapons he had. Makes me remember the weapons of Mass Destruction." Another voice from the liberal left - I would refer you to a book by a trusted General in the Air Force of Saddam Hussein who details the existence of the weapons of mass destruction, where they were taken, and how they got there. General Georges Sada wrote "Saddam's Secrets" - the weapons did and probably still DO exist and if anyone would know he would be the one. So before you toss out more "knowledge" from the liberal "Bash George Bush" press, you might educate yourself with reality. By the way, I'll bet ole George is smiling from ear to ear right now about the oil spill in the gulf, not the spill itself but the way our current president is handling the situation; it's making Katrina response look like it was spot on.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 06/18/10 - 10:20 am

OK to clear up the rapper

OK to clear up the rapper reference: A soldier @ Ft Stewart was scheduled for deployment to Iraq. Apparently he didn't want to go and wrote a rap (song) and sent it around to various people, including some in Washington, that the army felt was a threat to fellow soldiers. http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/04/19/rapping-soldier-discharged/ - copy & paste that into your browser for the story. He was given a less than honorable discharge.

augrichgal
augrichgal 06/18/10 - 11:18 am

His obsession was leading to

His obsession was leading to something sinister.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 06/18/10 - 01:04 pm

I hope he has a facsination

I hope he has a facsination with federal prison too. It ll help. I believe there is a contractor at Gordon who makes fascimile ordnance for training.

walrus4ever