Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Former NFL player sentenced for fraud

Former professional football player and Martinez businessman Arthur J. Marshall Jr. was sentenced Monday to 69 months in prison.

Topic: Crime and Courts
 - More coverage on this topic:

Marshall will begin his federal prison sentence on Aug. 30. Once he completes his time behind bars, Marshall will serve five years on probation. During that time, he is to make regular monthly payments to his victims, who are due more than $3.6 million.

Marshall grew emotional Monday afternoon in U.S. District Court as he apologized to those he harmed and he pledged to make amends.

"I didn't intend for them to get hurt, but they did and that's my fault.

"I will do everything in my power to make this right. And I will," he said.

U.S. District Judge J. Randal Hall noted that it is unlikely Marshall will be able to make complete restitution to his victims before his probation ends, but he urged him to follow through on his promise to pay everyone back.

Marshall was a star on the Hephzibah High School football team who went on to play for the University of Georgia and the NFL.

He returned to Augusta in the 1990s and was indicted on federal charges in June 2009.

Marshall pleaded guilty in October to two counts of bank fraud. He admitted he falsified information about personal finances, sale contracts and other documents submitted to obtain mortgage loans.

The biggest losers in Marshall's scheme were the banks that were left holding millions in mortgages, but other victims included a family who never got a property title from Marshall after paying him $100,000 for a home and members of the American Legion where Marshall's father belonged.

A bankruptcy court judge has already entered a judgment for the American Legion post against Marshall for $91,000.

Marshall filed a bankruptcy petition for his business, Custom Contractors, in August 2008, listing about $11 million in debts.

"Arthur Marshall stands here today a tragic figure," said his attorney Kieran Shanahan. Marshall wasn't the sports star who left home and never looked back. He ran a successful business until the real estate market crashed and made terrible choices in an attempt to save himself, Shanahan said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney David Stewart asked the judge to consider the extensive harm mortgage fraud has had on every community, including this one. Many of Marshall's victims might have been friends, but they want the law to apply to Marshall just as it does to everyone else, Stewart said.

Hall told Marshall that his sentence was a particularly difficult decision to make. The judge noted Marshall's extensive community work and volunteer service and the number of people who wrote in on Marshall's behalf. Hall also noted that the near financial collapse of the U.S. economy was due in large part to mortgage fraud.

Hall sentenced Marshall to serve 69 months in prison. The federal sentencing guideline range for Marshall was 63 to 73 months in prison.

justus4
justus4 06/14/10 - 05:03 pm
According to the article,

According to the article, there appears to be an absence of that "remorse" term. Only the history, some of the facts, and his sentence. However, something else appears to be missing based on some institutional factors and the judge obviously didn't apply the "remorse standard" in this case... wonder why that didn't work here?

corgimom
corgimom 06/14/10 - 05:09 pm
I obviously read a far

I obviously read a far different article than Justus did.

I don't know anyone that pledges to make restitution without remorse, but in Justus' world, anything is possible, I guess.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 06/14/10 - 05:27 pm
One thing is for sure, he

One thing is for sure, he won't be able to repay a penny while he is incarcerated. No one is responsible for this situation except Mr. Marshall, he should have cut and run back when he first started having financial problems rather that trying to wiggle out through trickery and chicanery. It would be much easier to start over if all you had left was a good name, but now that is gone too.

scorehouse
scorehouse 06/14/10 - 07:00 pm
i'm a conservative, right

i'm a conservative, right winger. i side with mr. marshall. why is it a crime to fail in business? the beautiful homes he built are now being sold for less than 50% of the value the BANKERS LENT AND APPRAISED them for? how can a man in prison pay back debts? this country was founded on the law of no debtors prison! obama's fiscal policies led to this mess for Marshall, i hope he pardons him. good luck arthur.

AWyld1
AWyld1 06/14/10 - 07:21 pm
Don't worry corgi nobody

Don't worry corgi nobody reads what justus reads....ever!! I too lean more to the conservative side and I couldn't disagree more with score. He is not in debtors prison because he owes a debt he is in federal prison for ripping people off. There is a big difference in defaulting on a business loan than there is in fraudulent business practices and while I am no fan of Obama this one cannot be laid at his feet. This is all Arthur's fault and nobody elses.

badassie
badassie 06/15/10 - 04:33 am
Scorehouse is an idiot.

Scorehouse is an idiot. Those die hard conservatives try and blame everything on President Obama. They honestly don't see where George W. Bush, actually caused this problem by ignoring what was going on here in the U.S. and was pumping all monies into Iraq and other places overseas. I don't like any of the political parties because they all have issues of trust with the people of this great nation. Obamas policies have no influence of Mr. Marshalls problems. Obama didn't tell him to swindle people and like on applications to get financing. Only and idiot would say something like that.

bettyboop
bettyboop 06/15/10 - 06:48 am
Once again a common thief and

Once again a common thief and con man.........

ruzbest
ruzbest 06/15/10 - 08:45 am
It's unfortunate that such a

It's unfortunate that such a promising person ended up tying to scam people in the end. It sounds as though he was in need of money to save his business and his lifestyle, and started stealing from people to stay a float. He was a football hero and a business man, now a convicted felon that will always owe $3.6 million to people - that will not be able to pay back. In rretrospect - it's no worth it.

Local Interests
Local Interests 06/15/10 - 11:38 am
scorehouse: Obama had not

scorehouse: Obama had not even taken office yet when this man was actually commiting these crimes.

Quit trying to turn a common thief into some sort of victim.

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 06/15/10 - 09:10 pm
He deserved a longer

He deserved a longer sentence! Don't give me that sob story that he told the judge. I remember him 'smiling' as he was taking hard-earned money from hard-working people.

lb1286
lb1286 07/21/10 - 07:12 am
I know Arthur on a business

I know Arthur on a business as well as personal level. I know that he is a good person who has also "helped a lot" of people!! Of course he is just like everyone else...meaning we are all human and make mistakes. Unfortunately his mistakes have hurt not only business associates but friends and family some of which are people who really love and "still love him!" We should all stop judging others. He has admitted his guilt and been sentenced for what he's done. Let him serve his time and when he does come home give him a chance to make amends. I've spent a lot of time with Arthur and I truly believe that is very remorseful for what he has done and will stand by his word when he is released. He has always been honest and stood by his word with me and I believe he will do the same when he returns home. Until then give him a chance to do the right thing!! None of us are beyond making mistakes and hurting others whether intentional or not!!!!!!!!!

lb1286
lb1286 07/21/10 - 07:19 am
Just another thought...if you

Just another thought...if you dont personally "know Arthur"....you really should have no reason to judge anything he's done. If he has hurt you, you have every reason to be upset but like I said give him a chance to serve his time and come home and keep his word!! He's human.

BrickAdams
BrickAdams 08/05/10 - 06:49 pm
I am a former Hephzibah High

I am a former Hephzibah High classmate of Arthur's. I have not seen him for many years, but when last I did we both enjoyed our brief conversation. I am a staunch democrat and a supporter of Obama. Arthur has obviously made some terrible decisions. I have read all the statements above and agree with many of you on certain points. Arthur did accept responsibility for his actions and expressed remorse. His acknowledgment of the debt owed is indicative of that. It is also fair to say that there is not a president alive that is responsible for his actions. Imagine historically how many people would have an excuse for their bad decisions if it were just that simple to be able to blame it on a president. Who knows what was in Arthur's head when he made these decisions. If I were to speculate I would say that it was time to downsize and Arthur lacked the humility to do so. As it was said earlier we are all human and we have all made bad decisions at some point and time in our lives. There are people who do have the right to be angry with him, but they too must find it within themselves to release that anger.........if for no other reason than to preserve their own peace of mind. Just as we have learned from our mistakes....let us hope that Arthur will learn from his. Each and every one of us has the potential to give back and do great things in our community. I hope Arthur re-embraces that very ideal when he returns home. Arthur is a good man that lost his way. Let us all reflect on our past transgressions and use that to aid in opening our hearts.........and give this brother another chance just as we all have been given another chance. Peace.

lb1286
lb1286 09/06/10 - 07:20 am
I just wanted to say "Thank

I just wanted to say "Thank You" to brickadams!! I totally agree with you and couldnt have said it better!! Arthur has now begun his sentence, let's hope that everyone he has hurt will find it in their hearts to forgive him. I honestly feel that Arthur will do his best to make amends when he is released. He is a good man!!

lb1286