Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Chase involving 3 counties ends in arrests

Armed robberies Sunday morning at an Augusta gas station and an Edgefield County store led to a chase that involved officers from Aiken, Edgefield and Richmond counties and ended with the arrests of two men and a juvenile.
Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Robbie Silas said the three, one of whom was armed with a shotgun, are believed to have robbed the Circle K gas station at Wheeler Road and Interstate 20 about 6:15 a.m. They then fled to Edgefield, S.C., where they robbed the Dodge's Store on U.S. Highway 25, he said.
Edgefield authorities chased the black Pontiac Grand Am, now traveling at 100 mph, back into Richmond County on I-20 about 7:30 a.m., and Richmond deputies joined the pursuit.
"We took over the chase at the state line," Silas said.
Deputies pursued the car at high speeds down Bobby Jones Expressway and were able to deflate one of the vehicle's tires using stop sticks near the Mike Padgett Highway interchange.
The deflated tire slowed the chase to about 80 mph. As the vehicle traveled down Laney-Walker Boulevard, Aiken County deputies were able to flatten a second tire, but the car continued down Sand Bar Ferry Road into Beech Island.
The vehicle finally ran into a ditch on Urquhart Drive in Beech Island, Silas said.
Corderall Stallings, 20, of Jackson, and a 16-year-old juvenile from Columbia were apprehended after a short foot chase, Silas said.
John Fitzgerald Hall, of Augusta, born in 1988, was apprehended in the vehicle.
The three face armed robbery, traffic and possibly drug charges. after deputies found cocaine left behind in one of the vehicles used to transport the suspects, Silas said.
Stallings, the alleged driver of the Grand Am, faces an additional charge of assault with intent to kill in North Augusta. Authorities said he tried to run over North Augusta Public Safety Officer Ryan Moulton at I-20 and U.S. 25 as he avoided stop sticks.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/30/10 - 10:07 am
Nicely done by all the law

Nicely done by all the law enforcement personnel involved!

savgirl
savgirl 05/30/10 - 10:29 am
Now this is good news !!!!!

Now this is good news !!!!!

pops1
pops1 05/30/10 - 10:59 am
BRAVO!!!! Well done. Now

BRAVO!!!!
Well done.
Now watch the criminals attempt to charge officers with violations on their civil rights.
I am proud of them all. Great job.

beboisme
beboisme 05/30/10 - 11:15 am
State to State communication

State to State communication was wide open! Excellent "Teamwork!" They, the thugs, should know by now that you just can't out run those radios. "If the right hand offend Thee then cut it off!"

windinmyface
windinmyface 05/30/10 - 12:24 pm
Awesome team work between law

Awesome team work between law inforcement agencies. Nicely done. Bravo!!!!

bree026
bree026 05/30/10 - 12:26 pm
Thank God... I'm still

Thank God... I'm still living: I was on bobby jones this morning, coming home from work.. My car was almost hit by the petty robbers.. I had to pull over in a ditch to save my life because the robbers was driving reckless.... Thank you GOD...... GOOD JOB RICHMOND COUNTY DEPUTIES.......

RAWR
RAWR 05/30/10 - 01:16 pm
Shouldve just used an RPG

Shouldve just used an RPG instead of spike strips.

curly123053
curly123053 05/30/10 - 01:17 pm
When I was working EMS I

When I was working EMS I remember an officer stated one time that they(Bad Guys) might can outrun my car but they can't outrun my Motorola(radio). The radios plus much improved interdepartment cross communications worked beautifully here. WTG Officers !

hickstreetlane
hickstreetlane 05/30/10 - 01:21 pm
breeO26 Dont forget Edgefield

breeO26 Dont forget Edgefield County. They spotted them and started the chase. Went through North Augusta too.

ReadyToGo
ReadyToGo 05/30/10 - 02:02 pm
I know the manager of this

I know the manager of this store. This morning 3 of them came in with a shotgun and robbed a mother of 4 ! Good to know they didn't get very far!!! Thank God she didn't get hurt...

fatboyhog
2025
fatboyhog 05/30/10 - 02:22 pm
Kudos to Sgt. Silas! I'm glad

Kudos to Sgt. Silas! I'm glad there are top notch officers like him protecting the community! Bravo!

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 05/30/10 - 02:28 pm
I saw the chase... there were

I saw the chase... there were probably 20 Deputies chasing a little black car... when the car got off Bobby Jones and down the ramp you could hear the front right tire scraping the pavement...

crackerjack
crackerjack 05/30/10 - 02:30 pm
What a great story, amidst

What a great story, amidst all the bad stuff going on around us.

crackerjack
crackerjack 05/30/10 - 02:32 pm
Many fine folks in Law

Many fine folks in Law Enforcement, working like a well-oiled machine.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/30/10 - 03:28 pm
Glad it turned out well.

Glad it turned out well. Thank you Law Enforcement.

pommom38
pommom38 05/30/10 - 03:47 pm
Ditto! Finally some good

Ditto! Finally some good news. Just goes to show, some may get away, but majority will not! Am glad the chase did not injure innocent people, and good job to all those involved:)
(now knows what the heck all those sirens were earlier today)

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/30/10 - 07:24 pm
Way to go law enforcement!

Way to go law enforcement! How nice to know that you've captured the scum so that we can rest easy tonight. Kudos to all involved in the apprehension of the scum.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/30/10 - 07:31 pm
Smokey and the Bandit style,

Smokey and the Bandit style, only this time the 'Bandits' were caught after a 'hot pursuit.' I hope Sheriff Buford T. Justice gave them an "attention getter."

All kidding aside, great job. Only next time, any with weapons should be dispatched.

psych_o_bug221
psych_o_bug221 05/30/10 - 07:32 pm
wow glad that i totally do

wow glad that i totally do not work at that circle K anymore, i used to work thirds.. >.>

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/31/10 - 02:19 am
Great Job to the RCSO NAPS

Great Job to the RCSO NAPS and ACSO and all officers involved. Score one for the good guys. Now, if our court systems would do their jobs and KEEP VIOLENT OFFENDERS BEHIND BARS permantly or offer them the choice of the death penalty, we could slowly stop violent crime.

Mudfish
Mudfish 05/30/10 - 08:58 pm
Curly, What you said reminds

Curly, What you said reminds me of another time in history when on the radio, on a record, it was said "You might outrun my old Cherolet but ya won't outrun my old two way cause Leon's waitin at the station to hear from me!"
I love it when law enforcement wins out on these people without innocent people getting hurt.

angeleyes
angeleyes 05/30/10 - 10:09 pm
haha glad the low life losers

haha glad the low life losers got caught. serves them right. go get a job like all of us hard working people and stop taking the easy way out you big ole dummys

angeleyes
angeleyes 05/30/10 - 10:09 pm
haha glad the low life losers

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 10:48 am

fatboyhog
2025
fatboyhog 05/31/10 - 12:46 am
"I saw the chase... there

"I saw the chase... there were probably 20 Deputies chasing a little black car... "

Wow! I wonder if any pursuit policies were violated. It's a good thing that no one got hurt. 20 deputies chasing the car???

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 05/31/10 - 02:25 am
That's why you are not in

That's why you are not in charge. How many do you suggest?

hickstreetlane
hickstreetlane 05/31/10 - 08:25 am
No policy was violated, the

No policy was violated, the others were just following (wink wink). But who cares? Three guys in one car, armed; tried to run over a police officer, I would want as many po-leese around as possible.

disssman
disssman 05/31/10 - 09:10 am
After a short foot race? Why

After a short foot race? Why aren't the syhot trying to flee especially if we knew they were armed? What kind of laws do we have anymore that allows crooks to put inocent citizens in grave danger? We need some strong medicine if we want to stop this type of action by the criminal element. Of course, had the police shot one of these hoodlums, you can bet Rev AL would have been in town followed by Jesse. Of course right now they are very busy defending illegal aliens rights to take jobs away from black folks, so maybe they wouldn't have had time.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 05/31/10 - 09:26 am
Awwww, come on now. It was

Awwww, come on now. It was only a few of those blue-eyed, blond-haired, Swedish American kids out having some fun....They weren't going to hurt anybody.

fatboyhog
2025
fatboyhog 05/31/10 - 10:31 am
I don't know how many to

I don't know how many to suggest (I do know what policy dictates, and I do know that policy can be adjusted by the street supervisor), but I do know that 20 is a bit much, don't you think? 20 cars chasing one car? I realize that there were armed robbers in the car, but that's 20 cars in excess of 80 MPH.

Partnerships needed in cyber sectors, NSA director says

Adm. Michael Rogers, director of the National Security Agency, said the nation's security rests on breaking down bariers between private and government sectors specializing in cyber defense. ...